Get rid of above ground ore and add a metal detector

konrax

Personally I find the above ground ore very distracting and out of place, dare I even say immersion breaking. On pvp servers its easy to think an above ground coal deposit is another player especially at night time.

I would like to see a metal detector item added to help find ore deposits that works similar to finding hidden treasure.

Let me know if you like this idea and how it could work to balance.

I think it would be hardly frustrating at all and would actually make mining a bit more of an adventure instead of it being completely brainless as it is now.

Having the metal detector behave in different ways depending on the ore, and letting you know the depth that it detected would be really cool. Better metal detectors would be able to detect at deeper levels any maybe with higher accuracy of the material.

I’m in between. The ore is already shining through on the ground next to the ‘ore boulder’ - they could just remove the boulder, and you would have to examine the ground to see it.

That could work too, I just figured adding some depth of gameplay to mining would have been more welcome.

I don’t play MP much, but I imagine within a couple weeks, most of them would be gone.

Good thing if you hate them.

Bad thing if you rely on them.

You hardly see any of them mined on the pvp server to be honest, the loot bonus is high and the risk of death working out in the open is high as well.

You hardly see any of them mined on the pvp server to be honest, the loot bonus is high and the risk of death working out in the open is high as well.

In that case...

If you don't like seeing them in a PVP server, you won't be seeing them anyway because it's too risky to be out in the open.

If it's too risky to mine a surface node, it's too risky to walk around with a metal detector.

I'm not for or against metal detectors, nor am I for or against the surface nodes. All I know is that I never had a single problem finding what I needed... ever.

As for trying to get this idea some recognition, I think you need some better arguments is all.

In that case...

If you don't like seeing them in a PVP server, you won't be seeing them anyway because it's too risky to be out in the open.

If it's too risky to mine a surface node, it's too risky to walk around with a metal detector.

I'm not for or against metal detectors, nor am I for or against the surface nodes. All I know is that I never had a single problem finding what I needed... ever.

As for trying to get this idea some recognition, I think you need some better arguments is all.

I've played regular servers many times as well, just because I don't focus on mining doesn't mean I haven't mined before or use the ore deposits when needed doesn't mean my opinion is invalid.

Either way I just felt like it was way too much in the realm if throwing mining in your face like it's essential to survive when really it's more to collect something you need later in the game, hence having a bit of a challenge and needing an item to find it accurately. I remember also mining back in the day when you had to just hope for good luck and would dig tunnels in all directions to find them, and when you did it was like hitting the jack pot and I think new players lose that sense of reward that mining had before.

The current mining situation is convenient and way more reliable than before, but it also trivializes mining a little. It would be cool if you had to rely on rare surface deposits and POIs for early resource gathering (i.e. the coal heaps next to new POIs in A18), and actual mining could be a little more involved AND rewarding for mid- to late game. Metal detectors or other prospecting tools would be cool for that.

But I don't think it should have priority over fixing and balancing current systems, or stuff like bandits. It would be a nice post-gold update, I imagine.

I've played regular servers many times as well, just because I don't focus on mining doesn't mean I haven't mined before or use the ore deposits when needed doesn't mean my opinion is invalid.

Either way I just felt like it was way too much in the realm if throwing mining in your face like it's essential to survive when really it's more to collect something you need later in the game, hence having a bit of a challenge and needing an item to find it accurately. I remember also mining back in the day when you had to just hope for good luck and would dig tunnels in all directions to find them, and when you did it was like hitting the jack pot and I think new players lose that sense of reward that mining had before.

I don't think your opinion is invalid at all. You opinion is valid. The arguments backing up your opinion are not great.

That I find it unrealistic and immersion breaking for me?

The look of them are unrealistic, but surface ores are common in reality... just highly unlikely to make formations.

I don't really see how this breaks immersion so greatly. That word is getting thrown around in the gaming community too much. Nobody was like, oh wow, I was so completely involved with this game, I completely forgot about my reality, but it all came to an abrupt end the moment I saw a mineral deposit. Really? It has its purpose that fits into the game and doesn't disrupt anything. It's not like it's a spinning disco ball with shimmering particles flying off it. But we'll come back to immersion.

Anyway, not so much that, but this: "its easy to think an above ground coal deposit is another player especially at night time". Under that logic, several things would have to get removed from the game because they might resemble players to some people in a pvp game. Since when is that grounds to make a change? If I was a dev of this game and heard that statement, I would put in more things that look like players just to give everybody a hard time.

Then, you tried going the whole "mining is brainless" route. OK, fine, I can get on board with that. But then you presented this metal detector with more abilities than we have now (the type of ore and the depth of ore), making it equally as brainless as the nodes... not to mention even more immersion-breaking. Sure, metal detectors exist... but not at that kind of level unless its an industrial giant and certainly not with the technical know-how of your character in the first week of the game. I don't want to build one of those things before the first horde. I play solo, high numbers, high difficulty... I need resources yesterday.

I think there is a way to have every idea rolled into one: Remove boulders and add a visual layer like the night-vision goggles that makes the patches of ore underneath the current boulders appear as bright spots that you would see from roughly the same distance as you can currently see boulders with the naked eye. And make the metal detector a common trader tool and maybe also unlock it with advanced engineering 2 or something like that.

I would like a system, that has very low yield ore for the firt few blocks of the ore-vein.

So the player knows, he has to put some effort to build a propper mineshaft down at this location, before the higher yield comes.

And then have the ore-vein make unpredictable turns.

There needs to be some indicator where the ore is, so those surface rocks are fine with me.

A detector would be fun though.

Archived