The Iron shortage is real in A18

Ghostlight

So stone boulders no longer give ores or nitrate. I need to find an Iron surface node (and the few blocks right below it) for my Iron, same for Nitrate, Lead and Coal. Thing is, those surface nodes (specially the Iron) seem overly scarce. I've seen 3 in total after 4 hours play. Having real issues getting the amount of Iron I'm used to (and need) with the new build.

Am I missing a better early game Iron source?

So stone boulders no longer give ores or nitrate. I need to find an Iron surface node (and the few blocks right below it) for my Iron, same for Nitrate, Lead and Coal. Thing is, those surface nodes (specially the Iron) seem overly scarce. I've seen 3 in total after 4 hours play. Having real issues getting the amount of Iron I'm used to (and need) with the new build.

Am I missing a better early game Iron source?

Stay off the roads and travel through the spaces and you'll find loads of them. Go mine cars for metal too.

I chased down a few un-bouldered gravel patches before I found an iron vein outside Diersville, it's f'in massive, I lit up god mode to get top-end gear to mine it out, see how big it really is, and I give up, it just goes on and on and on. First vein I hit, you do have to chase every least little fibril and seam at times, some of them look paper-thin, even missable until you know what you're looking for, but some judicious shovel use before giving up helps a lot.

Here's what the mining face looks like now, I have taken thousands of iron out of here already and the face is bigger than ever.

1399869001_Screenshotfrom2019-10-0721-04-03.thumb.jpg.9ddc3930ecf27134c1c35cb9b0ce721b.jpg

I chased down a few un-bouldered gravel patches before I found an iron vein outside Diersville, it's f'in massive, I lit up god mode to get top-end gear to mine it out, see how big it really is, and I give up, it just goes on and on and on. First vein I hit, you do have to chase every least little fibril and seam at times, some of them look paper-thin, even missable until you know what you're looking for, but some judicious shovel use before giving up helps a lot.

Here's what the mining face looks like now, I have taken thousands of iron out of here already and the face is bigger than ever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29332[/ATTACH]

Just watch the size of the cavern or put in some support pillars, I got a crazy triple mine that had 3 ores in it and the roof fell in :) I almost got rekt from avalanche.

Ok am I doing this wrong? I have NEVER built a mine in this game despite being the group's miner - and I never want to be forced to do so either. Surface boulders have always been the better choice. So now when I find an Iron node, I mine it and that exposes precisely 3 blocks immediately underneath that contain further Iron. After that, it's only stone or dirt underneath so I walk away. Should I keep digging? How far? As I say I have no interest in digging actual mines. I prefer the experience of exploring while flitting from boulder to boulder.

I'm leaving behind all of the resources nodes for later. Marked a few on my map to just be sure i have everything if i ever start digging. I will need a few points into Miner 69'er, as well as Mother Load for that. Finished with the first HN, so i'll most likely push into that idea.

Mining is the easiest its ever been in this game.

There is no need to ever dig down to base level searching for veins to mine.

Every single node I have mined so far has turned out having 3 different ore types.

Currently have 2 mines going

Coal, Iron, Lead

Nitrate, Lead, Iron

Mined in excess of 6k of each and have barely scratched what is in them.

Lead is super abundant, came across one chunk in the desert that had 5 lead and a shale node all really close .

Ok am I doing this wrong? I have NEVER built a mine in this game despite being the group's miner - and I never want to be forced to do so either. Surface boulders have always been the better choice. So now when I find an Iron node, I mine it and that exposes precisely 3 blocks immediately underneath that contain further Iron. After that, it's only stone or dirt underneath so I walk away. Should I keep digging? How far? As I say I have no interest in digging actual mines. I prefer the experience of exploring while flitting from boulder to boulder.

One thing I have noticed is that sometimes the clue that something is ore is either very subtle, or maybe absent. I've gotten into the habit of hitting all exposed faces with my pick to see which is the x/600 that ore is, as compared to the x/200 for dirt or x/500 for rock. If you see x/600 and hear a clang sound it's ore, even if it might look like dirt. On a nitrate deposit this showed no nitrate immediately under the boulder and top surface vein, until I dug down 1 more layer of dirt, and then I found the vein stretching down.

Like others have said, there's usually a heck of a lot of resource under the surface, but yes, you have to mine. I usually throw up a quick wood frame wall around the resource poi and then I have some warning if I get company. And unless you fortify it, mining at night so close to the surface is like a zombie magnet.

Find a place with iron / lead together, then put a flagstone cap over top it and start digging a pit with a stair/ramp on one wall, you will swim in iron, and lead to kill all the Z's with lead poisoning. Although I've found enough ammo so far that we haven't had to make any yet.

Once you find your easy to spot Borg ship and dig, you're swimming in everything. We are incredibly resource rich and still early game. Server is already dying of boredom... It's so bad it wants to do windows 10 updates just to have something to do.

Challenge has left the building.

I personally enjoy the realism of the mineral mining now. Having the old boulders system honestly felt cheesy, unrealistic, and a lazy way to implement.

I first played Rust a few months ago and thought, "This is MUCH better than the 7D2D system."

TFP went a step further and added veins underneath.

WIN!

Once you find your easy to spot Borg ship and dig, you're swimming in everything. We are incredibly resource rich and still early game. Server is already dying of boredom... It's so bad it wants to do windows 10 updates just to have something to do.

Challenge has left the building.

Borg ship lol...

Archived