1 Base or 2 Bases ?

When playing with horde night on, I use two bases. A simple wooden one to live in (I'll upgrade it to concrete slowly, but not as a matter of urgency - if you've built it right, wood is adequate for defence against non-horde wandering zombies) and a concrete horde night base.

At the moment my friends and I are playing with horde night off (it's not too difficult - it's just an unnecessary chore that doesn't enhance the game in our opinion) so we only have the one. Because we've not needed to use our cobblestone and concrete on a horde base, it means we've been able to upgrade the main base much more quickly; not that it's needed it.

I've never had my - extremely simple and basic - bases fall to a horde night, at least not enough to destroy my stuff. I like doing it all in one place because 1. it's more convenient and 2. my horde defenses stop screamers and their friends from hurting my base.

It's not hard to build a good, secure base.

In single player I always build at least 2 bases. With map sizes getting bigger and better I'm about to do what we do in MP... Multiple bases! In MP we usually have at least 2 bases, the one for horde nights and 'our workshop' so to speak. Many times now we've put the 2 combination of bases in quadrants of the map.

I play single player Nav, in my last play through i had 2 bases and 3 outposts. Farm house by Diersville was turned into a bunker over time and had my horde base near the church close by. 1 outpost in the desert, one in the wasteland and one by the stadium. All outfitted with a minibike, weapons and medical to start a new base if i need to. Some might call it overkill, but i always have backups for backups.

I typically do two due to the damage that can be caused by a BM horde and to avoid them fro spawning in a position that wrecks the workshop. But an elevated base with ramp can work just fine and no secondary base is needed. I recently took over the hospital; workshop is 3rd floor, no man's land and ramp 2nd floor, and the ground is zombie turf (all connections are removed between levels). I guess "workshop on 3rd" and "blood moon on first" counts as two separate bases, but I consider them to be the same. I even started building a seperate maze BM base off to oneside, but it's totally not needed and is unused.

Yea my horde idea / defense is the ramp/bridge

I wants all the XP"S LOL although I should prop put barbed on the ramp and bridge and of course spikes around the building but not under the ramp atleast not right away cuz I want the XP's LOL. The workshop is the quartet of 9x9's that the horde base is on top of :) the front part is for trees and the back is crops and animals :)

I just wish I could get it to spawn in world without floating or being partially buried but I cant seem to figure that part out. :( Bad terrain in world

I build two separate bases but connected by a long elevated walk-way. One for living and crafting and the other is both a horde and an anti-screamer base. I use a five by five levitated tower with my forges and cement mixers in the bottom. This keeps the screamers away from the main base but close enough (about 30-40 blocks) where I can run across and with here and any horde she may summon. I use a brick/concrete two story POI as the main base and attach an elevated garage as time goes by for my vehicles.

I was always building just one base, but on my first A17 game I started doing two bases, because of the rise of difficulty and my base already being damaged by wandering hordes. I wanted to make sure I'll have a ready to go base when bloodmoon starts instead of being inmidst of repairing my base. I also needed less resources that way, as I will explain:

On the flip side two bases means more resources needed.

Imho it's the other way around, at least at early and mid game. In the long run two bases will be more resource hungry, but in the end game resources aren't a problem, in the early game they are the main problem.

Let's just assume I'll find a POI with cobblestone walls, no outer concrete stairs that need to be taken out and a size of 14x14 (the smallest cobblestone houses). Even if I'm just upgrading the middle row to enhanced concrete, it will cost me 840 concrete mix. A seperate 5x5 tower with the bottom three rows made out of enhanced concrete needs 480 concrete mix. I need additional spikes that way, but wood is easier to farm than concrete.

I'll just put a row of spikes around my main base for occasional screamers and have a emergency chest with some food and ammo on my horde base. If there isn't a wandering horde for 12+ hours before a normal night, I'll stay that night on my horde base to avoid getting my main base wrecked.

I add more 5x5 towers to my horde base time by time and connect them. Usually like every fifth day and even faster later on. That way I keep up with the rising difficulty and mid game it's still cheaper than enhancing my main base. At some point my main base gets three rows of enhanced concrete, but at that time I have plenty of it.

On our server, we currently allow for three landclaim blocks. The individual may choose how they want to use them. We just restarted from our previous server and tended to share one horde night base between us so we could get shared XP on horde nights.

2 bases, I only play solo, so hiding stuff isn't a concern to me.

1 base (if you want to call it that) is just a ground level platform made out of wood, with no walls, all of my crafting and storage is done here. Zombies never seem to bother it. Eventually I get a couple turrets going and that takes care of screamers.

The other base is the bloodmoon base with all the traps and such where I try to survive the night at, it is some distance away from my crafting base.

The bloodmoon base gets wrecked about 50% of the time, so then I just spawn at the main base and run away and wait out the night.

Easy peasy.

- P

Mixing the two can lead into massive problems - if your storage gets compromised that can be a massive blow to your progress.

If they're not mixed that problem is pretty much completely eliminated. Worse case scenario you have to rebuild the raid base and lose some time continuously dying or running away from the horde until morning comes (or fall back to another raid base if you have redundancy for that).

I just started playing console again after learning I need a new Video card before I can play PC version again. But I will ideally have 2 bases. One for my stuff and crafting and whatnot, and then another base for the blood moon. At the moment in my game I only have one with the blood moon base on the roof up high Its not going to stay like that tho. I've just been having quite a slow start

I build a home base at the top of a collapsed 5 storey building, then build a nearby 4x4x7 block platform (first cobblestone, then concrete) surrounded by spikes and with wood bars or old style trusses around the top to fight from. If things go wrong, I respawn in my home base and have some time to get backup gear and return to the fray.

Having two bases is gimmicky. If you are a good engineer, you should easily be able to incorporate crafting, storage and defence all in one base.

I think most people now do it for the grins. Sure you can still build suspended bases with a ramp up and be safe (JC's Channel made a ramp up to the top if the Navazgane hospital for the laughs. Why not??

I have gone full circle and build brute force BM bases now as the BM horde (aka building inspectors) checks for weaknesses in my designs. :)

Archived