Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hmmm, a tutorial map sounds nice, but we can't import a character into a different world and it would be annoying to invest time into Noobezgane just to have to start over on a real world.

I agree that it should be in the same game/world.

Path of Exile doesn’t have a big intrusive tutorial, but what they do is whenever a player completes an action, a tooltip shows on screen giving reference to the action they just performed. They can choose to read it and close it, just ignore it, just close it, or skip all tutorials and no more will appear. It’s nothing special but, imo, would work well in this game as long as it doesn’t impede gameplay, like blocking sight while trying to do something else. It needs to be discrete enough to achieve that, but draw enough attention to be helpful.

Loc

turn up the difficulty, you have that option. :) when someone complains of too hard, quite a few people will jump at the opportunity to tell them to turn down the difficulty. so it goes both ways. :)

i tried to keep it in but i had to say it... :)

i wont argue either

If difficulty did something besides simply adjust damage values this might be a good point. But as it is nothing aside from damage values are changed so at least for me and some others this doesn't really increase difficulty it just makes things take longer. Now if difficulty changed spawn amounts or food\thirst\stamina drain or anything else that might actually make the game a little harder to survive I could see this point but as it is spawn amounts and food\thirst\stamina drain are just as trivial on insane as they are on the easiest setting making the game far too easy still IMO

I had a chance to see the cool video that unholyjoe took the time to make, thanks joe.

I wanted to know Madmole, have you considered planting the boxes into the ground?

You select the area that you want to place your farming plot.

Execute the placement.

The ground voxel changes into the farm plot.

1. This removes the need to gig up ground.

2. Also removes that ugly looking lip that forms between ground voxels and blocks.

Also this could work on a static ground as well.

Didn't you already make this post earlier today?

Oh snap, hmm. You mean with all the progress and items gained in another map, or just the avatar?

What you carry with you. Which could be a lot. :)

Also, the starter quest would obviously limit you to what your quest allow you to make, so instead of starting in the world naked you would start with your plant fiber clothing, Stone axe, campfire, etc...

But yeh keeping your inventory is doable. It's just a player file... All tfp would have to do on their end is allow a "use player file from another save" option, which quite frankly, is a good idea anyway, and one I thought they were going with when they added the persistent profile option for servers.

- - - Updated - - -

We should have a tutorial map where the NPC walks you through how to farm, where to find the zombies, and at the end...just kills you and puts you in a real map.

Perfect. :)

Really, we have to have some sort of back story for why we wake up naked anyway, the starter world could be that story... We get all of that stuff for the trader and he robs us...

What you carry with you. Which could be a lot. :)

Also, the starter quest would obviously limit you to what your quest allow you to make, so instead of starting in the world naked you would start with your plant fiber clothing, Stone axe, campfire, etc...

But yeh keeping your inventory is doable. It's just a player file... All tfp would have to do on their end is allow a "use player file from another save" option, which quite frankly, is a good idea anyway, and one I thought they were going with when they added the persistent profile option for servers.

- - - Updated - - -

Perfect. :)

Yeah, seems like this could do away with small world complaints and open up a lot of fun stuff if we could link and travel between worlds.

But it's my experience that ideas are not considered good unless the other person thinks of it first, or thinks that they thought of it first. :-)

... What's funny about this, is that this has been discussed and found to be a good idea, I believe we were even told it was going to happen, but later. Meh, whatever.

Yeah, seems like this could do away with small world complaints and open up a lot of fun stuff if we could link and travel between worlds.

Yep. Server managers could be configured to do this... Run multiple instances of the server, each loading a different piece of the world, and when you "win" one, your file gets moved to the other. Since the worlds would be small, it wouldn't be an issue for the hardware. :)

We should have a tutorial map where the NPC walks you through how to farm, where to find the zombies, and at the end...just kills you and puts you in a real map.

I think farming is kind of beyond the scope of what a tutorial should cover. I know it's just spitballing based on the the whole hoegate thing and teaching new players to farm, but I'm surprised the survival crew and participation trophy crew isn't up in arms about the prospect of a tutorial that teaches so many mid- to late-game aspects. I like tutorials that just show me how to play to game, not how to win at it.

I'm upgrading from a 1070. It is right on the fence of being able to run 4K but there are too many instances where I drop down to low frame rates unless I crank down all the visual settings. At 1080p, it is plenty playable with almost everything cranked (and looks absolutely fantastic by the way. Nothing like watching the orange sunset and then the night sky shifts to deep blues/purples with sparkling stars with drifting clouds). I am playing on a 75" TV and it begs to be played at 4K cranked up. I assume the new video card will be up to the challenge.

I'm still playing with a 1070 on a 4K screen, it looks so gorgeous that I'll take the around 30 FPS. :D

(and it's better performing then a 1080 on 4K)

Fixed it for you.

...clunky, yet I dunno, a billion games have starter "tutorial" maps?

Maps:

Tutorial

Navezgane

RandomGen

...it isn't "clunky", it's a add-on to what you already have. But y'all are fixated on nerfing the game, it seems.

I don't want to get started, learn the ropes, then suddenly realize it was just a tutorial only to start over for real. We already have a safe zone you spawn in, it is fine.

Couldn't you just make it so the plates give the aesthetic and function of a farm box but not actually raise the voxel. So in reality you're planting it directly on the ground below the plate and not actually on the plate. Think of them like ghost boxes/plates.

The plant occupies the voxel above the plot.

Madmole had said there was hope to release it for streamers and a few select others around the 20th. Even if they open up the expermental branch then, it will be probably another 2 weeks before it is publicly released. The folks here seem to be very good at finding game-breaking bugs.....

What no, if we release to streamers on Friday it would go public Sunday or Monday unless some super nasty bugs were discovered by the streamers.

I don't want to get started, learn the ropes, then suddenly realize it was just a tutorial only to start over for real. We already have a safe zone you spawn in, it is fine.

...the world would literally be labeled "Tutorial", and xfering a player file to a new world isn't rocket science, but I get it. You're not open to new (really, old ideas I believe you once embraced) ideas this far into development. That's fine.

Archived