Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Oh wow. Nice one. Just so you know, I have a medical condition that means my lacrimal glands don't produce tears like other people.

That's actually quite insensitive, Roland. Thank you ��

You're still on this? I thought it was pretty clear Roland dropped it

I mean I'm sorry about your condition but that isn't going to change that you thoroughly lost whatever debate that was

i read that 5 times ( no joke) and still dont know what you want to express..

Might be my alcohol level, a stroke or some poor punctuation^^

- - - Updated - - -

without a proper potion of madness, it wouldnt be half the fun.. no?

Oh - I thought it was his alcohol level...

-A

since there is so much concern with new players why not have all the journal stuff unlocked instead of having it unlock as you encounter those things?

also update the journal to better explain how to find resources, how to craft items , how to use mods, how to cook meals and any other stuff a new player might need in order to get a hang of the game?

please don't say that new players won't read the journal because if that's the case you might as well scrap the journal and extend the start quest line to cover more basics like crafting tools, using them and where to find resources.

So wadering hordes are gone now?

*sigh*

No, they won't be gone. What madmole is saying is that they will likely and eventually be triggered by some random encounter system that is independent per player. It could be a wandering horde. It could be a pack of wolves. It could be a group of bandits. etc. If each of these were separate events, there would be a possibility of a player getting socked with all types at the same time. On a server, there would also be the possibility that one player could be socked with all types multiple times while nobody else gets anything at all. The replacement fixes these problems while giving us variety and keeping the difficulty reasonable for whatever gamestage we might be at when the event occurs.

It might be needed for guys who play a certain way, for me or any looter/shooter type? Nope. I kill everything I see and have 500 meat in my box, next to stacks of meat stew. I only farm for stews and some aloe and coffee. I can buy food at vending machines if I was desperate.

I just don't understand. Food has never been an issue except on day 1 if you know how to play the game. So farming is optional role playing thing to me. Its a convenience feature, not mandatory. I like it, I do it, but I don't need to.

Well, I do remember many alphas ago where food was a real problem and we were searching around for food, eating every berry we could find ... and dying, it was AWESOME. (really, it was)

Being able to be somewhat self sustainable was actually a goal we had. I've heard you said that's not the point and you want people to go out and loot. That's a fair point, but it should still take into account players using the mechanics in the game, to matter. I mean, if all we're doing is pushing people out to loot, shoot, eat and poop... then farming really has zero place in the game and should be removed, freeing up assets, etc.

Where once it seemed to have a purpose, it now doesn't in the new world of "loot and shoot" that the game is. Again, I'm not saying the new boxes are bad, I have no idea. Just that the entire farming system doesn't matter at all and apparently isn't going to, ever. Its just a hard pill to swallow. =)

So instead you trick them into playing a gimped version of what used to be a hard game by both nerfing the game and changing the default level... Gotcha. :)

Love ya gazz, but c'mon...

turn up the difficulty, you have that option. :) when someone complains of too hard, quite a few people will jump at the opportunity to tell them to turn down the difficulty. so it goes both ways. :)

i tried to keep it in but i had to say it... :)

i wont argue either

i read that 5 times ( no joke) and still dont know what you want to express..

Might be my alcohol level, a stroke or some poor punctuation^^

...he wants to know how far after an alpha release do they start working on the next one.

The answer is it depends on who. Art guys will probably already into a19 immediately while others will be tasked to fixing a18 issues that arise.

Zeds in the wild are an inconvenience, period. Unless you are in the wasteland at night and then its an actual threat, but a few stray zombies have never killed anyone who didn't get stupid and try to kill them while not being prepared.

All they do is follow you and cluster up around your POI you are about to clear out and ruin the fun of that. They still do it, but instead of 20 slow lame ones there are 10 rage ones that are more of a threat.

If that's true then why is the whole team dying 10 times in the first 3 days? One post you say they're vicious killers that are taking out the team and the next they're just an inconvenience.

Having a world full of zombies in a zombie game is not poor design...

...the poi zombies are ridiculously easily cheesed (open hole, make noise, have them all come out one by one), and the ONLY counter threat is wilderness spawns... Walking from loot box (what you would call a poi) to loot box should be fraught with dangers, not boring.

Cities are dead/boring, and that REALLY hurt the game, and now you're going to do it to wilderness too? AND nerf the animals because you had a bad experience?!?

C'mon man... What game are you going for here? "Challenge only on every 7 days"?

I must agree, actually. I remember when cities were extremely dangerous. It was thrilling to just go and enter one, and you were always on your toes. I was once forced to go up the rooftop of a POI because zombies were swarming me from everywhere, they just overpowered me.

THAT'S how it should always have been. Now, cities aren't really any different from any other POI of the game, with the exception of being clusters of POIs instead of just one building.

While the game still has things that are great, it really does feel like the devs are trying to fix things that just weren't broken in the first place. This methodology of "adding by removing" is hurting the identity the game once had, in my opinion. It just doesn't give out the same feeling anymore, and it's mainly due to things like this.

As always, maybe it just sounds bad in writing and it's actually a better system. Guess we'll see.

turn up the difficulty, you have that option. :) when someone complains of too hard, quite a few people will jump at the opportunity to tell them to turn down the difficulty. so it goes both ways. :)

i tried to keep it in but i had to say it... :)

Will turning to warrior mode bring back hoes and increase biome spawns? :)

...and the maple biome, an understandable UI, city dangers, hell sticks (for madmole), and the plethora of other things that were removed to accommodate rust buddies and their lack of skills?

Guest Rassilon
...he wants to know how far after an alpha release do they start working on the next one.

The answer is it depends on who. Art guys will probably already into a19 immediately while others will be tasked to fixing a18 issues that arise.

ok. read his comment again with your explanation and it makes sense^^.

If i recall right, They started to shift to A18 after 17.1 or .2 while a small team left for the remaining bugs.

Not on top of boulders. :) Also landmines got fixed. You can disarm them with a wrench now.

Video? :)

- - - Updated - - -

so a friend i have has a theory, that 18 might be here in a week or two can anyone back up his claim?

Hey! Welcome to the forums. First post? Love your avatar.

I was thinking about that last night, actually. Making water filtration systems in the game.

And finding glass jars everywhere is annoying. I mean, finding a pool of murky water and needing an empty bottle to collect it, sure, but finding a full glass jar with murky water in the toilet is a bit disgusting.

If you're drinking from the bowl instead of the tank, you've been doing it wrong. That's not boba tea.

So big guy, what were these keys you were talking about?

It's been fun catching up on dozens of pages and finally figuring out why your avatar changed.

Fixed it for you.

...clunky, yet I dunno, a billion games have starter "tutorial" maps?

Maps:

Tutorial

Navezgane

RandomGen

...it isn't "clunky", it's a add-on to what you already have. But y'all are fixated on nerfing the game, it seems.

Hmmm, a tutorial map sounds nice, but we can't import a character into a different world and it would be annoying to invest time into Noobezgane just to have to start over on a real world.

One idea would be to have the survivor "wake up" in a POI compound (maybe inside a first aid tent) where they are relatively safe and can explore a bit before venturing forth. It would have the same invulnerability as a trader, with some loot containers they could search that contain a few basic items (like what we start with now). They'd have to leave it to complete the starter quest, and at some point the gates would lock and they wouldn't be able to get back in.

Experienced players could just leave and never look back, but new players would have a little safety on day 1.

I like this idea a lot better, but it would need to teleport you somewhere far away after completion. Sounds like a place for ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s to camp and attack noobs.

I had a chance to see the cool video that unholyjoe took the time to make, thanks joe.

I wanted to know Madmole, have you considered planting the boxes into the ground?

You select the area that you want to place your farming plot.

Execute the placement.

The ground voxel changes into the farm plot.

1. This removes the need to gig up ground.

2. Also removes that ugly looking lip that forms between ground voxels and blocks.

Also this could work on a static ground as well.

Archived