Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Exactly. I did my research over multiple alphas on this. People complain and they are just uneducated. We don't just slap random things in, I put a lot of work into researching things before we add them to the game and try to ground everything in reality as much as possible, and only break those rules when it doesn't serve the gameplay god, which is always king.

That's cool. Where you planning to make other shapes of the lead ore so they look more random?

Yeah Madmole, want me to screenshot how it looked when Rick and his group left the Atlanta Camp? Nice and bright! Right now I am looking at the Walking Dead with my wife, started again from season 1 and try to watch it till the last episode. Do you really want to me to search in every episode to prove you that there is nice weather in the Walking Dead? I am not being sarcastic at all. And I am talking about weather, not zombies.

First photo it's just cloudy, second photo it's just smoke and 3rd is just night or evening time. Any more proofs?

Are you talking about zombies or weather? I think you totally misunderstood me, because I was talking about WEATHER, not zombies. I would like to see zombies with a gray tone, grey clothes, more skeletonish face and gray skin like in the Walking Dead (like the pictures you showed me), but to make the weather like that? That's a NO.

I think that the wasteland should have more of these run-down house then the suburban Forrest areas. The forrest is were people set up shop but the wasteland and other areas are where people explore late game usually. Also, The Walking Dead is depressing and ugly. That's why I and probably many others grew tired of it. My favorite undead movie was the Evil Dead 2 because it was a fun colorful movie that had charisma. P.S don't ban me lol I'm a legacy batman forum poster lol.

I think that the wasteland should have more of these run-down house then the suburban Forrest areas. The forrest is were people set up shop but the wasteland and other areas are where people explore late game usually. Also, The Walking Dead is depressing and ugly. That's why I and probably many others grew tired of it. My favorite undead movie was the Evil Dead 2 because it was a fun colorful movie that had charisma. P.S don't ban me lol I'm a legacy batman forum poster lol.

Well, I got nothing against the wasteland being depressing and ugly, at least the weather in other biomes like the forest should be quite nice. To be honest, I liked the depressing thing in some cases, but not always. I don't think that the game should feel depressing all the time or nice all the time. Madmole totally misunderstood me when I was talking about weather, he thought I was referring to zombies. I watched many other zombies movies and I didn't like any of them, really, I never got tired of the Walking Dead, I could watch all the seasons, especially the first 3 seasons all the time without getting bored that easily, it depends on taste.

For me, the only things missing in this game are npcs and bandits, compound crossbow, a better character editor (we don't have that many options), a grabbing system like they had in the Walking Dead Survival Instinct where zombies would grab you and some zombie editor, it would be nice to have that, I really dream to make zombies look like they look in the Madmole's photos in his reply to me. You can't really edit zombies in the archtype.xml, it's not very...easy. So again, it depends on taste, preferences...

Well, I got nothing against the wasteland being depressing and ugly, at least the weather in other biomes like the forest should be quite nice. To be honest, I liked the depressing thing in some cases, but not always. I don't think that the game should feel depressing all the time or nice all the time. Madmole totally misunderstood me when I was talking about weather, he thought I was referring to zombies. I watched many other zombies movies and I didn't like any of them, really, I never got tired of the Walking Dead, I could watch all the seasons, especially the first 3 season all the time without getting bored that easily, it depends on taste.

For me, the only things missing in this game are npcs and bandits, compound crossbow, a better character editor (we don't have that many options), a grabbing system like they had in the Walking Dead Survival Instinct where zombies would grab you and some zombie editor, it would be nice to have that, I really dream to make zombies look like they look in the Madmole's photos in his reply to me. You can't really edit zombies in the archtype.xml, it's not very...easy. So again, it depends on taste, preferences...

Trust me he wasn't talking about the zombies. Unifying the zombie's looks would be cool though so to give more of an identity and differentiate to zombie unique types. In a game that I have been playing for over 600hrs I do not want to suddenly start having it's mood be changed into a depressing gray mess. My problem is pois mostly. The skybox just seems like you're wearing sunglasses. NPC's are probably being worked on in the background as we speak I hope.

Trust me he wasn't talking about the zombies. Unifying the zombie's looks would be cool though so to give more of an identity and differentiate to zombie unique types. In a game that I have been playing for over 600hrs I do not want to suddenly start having it's mood be changed into a depressing gray mess. My problem is pois mostly. The skybox just seems like you're wearing sunglasses. NPC's are probably being worked on in the background as we speak I hope.

I agree with what you said.

I tried to tell them that it would have been better if they all went separate ways in different biomes but maybe they thought the social dynamics are better teamed up.

If we had never seen a playthrough it would be a good idea to loot a poi, but odds are anyone interested has by now seen a lot of playthroughs.

THIS is why we can't have nice things..(like the parasail).. no one listens to you. ;)

I have the same problem with my wife... I never listen to her either.

Oh! And your OCD comments? She is probably going to go MAD not completing book sets. Maybe a value is or can be added to increase the probability of finding books we haven't already found? Or the trader can add unfound books to his reward list so trader book rewards are always worth getting?

(This is a woman who has to have EVERY crop in the game in her farm, cook every recipe, and have every color dye in a box.)

Oh I read this after banning you. Maybe roland can unban you. Just kidding, but I felt like it. And that Victorius guy is very close to getting a fridge filled with books hurled his way.

the moderators over in the steam forums could use a little advice from you... they'd ban people for looking cross eyed.... when clearly it's a birth defect..:p

I watched some a-18 playtime on you tube from streamers and things were running very smooth. The grenades are just going to be another self kill weapon for me like the molotovs were when in panic mode...lol

Oh! And your OCD comments? She is probably going to go MAD not completing book sets. Maybe a value is or can be added to increase the probability of finding books we haven't already found? Or the trader can add unfound books to his reward list so trader book rewards are always worth getting?

You can mod this.

Like, all books of a series unlock if you have found x% of them.

A16 NAPVP server had 5500+ players join first month | A17 the 24 man server bug prevented higher numbers | A18 we are expecting 7500+ to join first month: My question is does anyone know what standard map size well be for A18 starting out? I'm thinking with the amount of players expected first month to join us we are going to need a bigger map maybe 10k map to start off.

First hands on new death penalty:

Last night was day 41 pretty early. I took a T5 from the trader and jumped on my minibike and ended up at shotgun messiah factory. I'd never done it before so I didn't know how long it would take. I only had about 3-4 pain killers and no medicated bandages. I have 4 ranks in healing factor so I regenerate very fast. I thought I can probably handle this, the only thing I was concerned with was ammo so I went through it my heavy armored level 45 ish green iron armored fort build. I had roughly 300 726 and my awesome AK that does 70 damage.

So the whole day goes by, and I'm punching my way through this beast of a POI. By sundown I'm out of pain killers and thought well how much further can it be? I'm close to one of the first roofs or whatever. So I kept going. I made it to morning and thought, damn its horde night. But I can't give up now. I only had 70 bullets left. I trudged on and rested to heal since I was clean out of meds. I was infected too, but not suffering sides yet.

So I make it to what appears to be the final tower and I have no ammo left where there are sleeping radiated and ferals everwhere on this roof. I'm standing on the ladder. I thought maybe I can cheese them from this ladder and punch their knees/heads out one by one. I start fighting and was doing ok for about 20 seconds until somehow they got respositioned to where it wasn't 1v1 any more, it was 3-4 vs 1. I jump down the short ladder and I'm running and punching but no stamina and 30-40 health remaining. I thought maybe I can survive this fall and get out of here. I fall and die.

Then it hits me, my XP bar was red. I got to thinking, wow I wasted 300 bullets and have less XP than when I started. I definitely ♥♥♥♥ed up. It hit me, all I had to do was go 50 yards to my base when I took the quest and grabbed a couple more ammo bundles. I thought oh I'll be ok. It sucked, but at the same time, it instantly tough me a tough lesson of respect for the game. I won't be making any more hasty decisions, and I love the new penalty for this reason. I have a new respect for death in this game I've never had before.

99% of my deaths come from me not respecting the game. Everydamn time I dont show the games difficulty respect I die for it.

One of the things I love about this game.

with over 1000 7d2d players on our discord who need to know. Does anyone know what standard map size well be for a18 starting out?

Since you represent so many I’m going to answer quickly:

RWG: 4k or 8k radius options

Nav/ 6k radius

Same standard as A17

I disagree, I had them sunk into the ground and they became small stones. Spend 3 hours looking for one and you might change your tune.

As of like 2 days ago, deco was enabled on mountains. Previously it didn't so ore was pretty rare. Now ores are kinda everywhere so the video is misleading as to how much ore will be available on release. We'll drastically reduce it so its an exciting find instead of stumbling over it. In that context, it needs to stick out so you can actually spot that one needle in the haystack.

On that note, I would love to see surface coal make a comeback. Like it was in Alpha 9 and 10 in the burned forest.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I read this after banning you. Maybe roland can unban you. Just kidding, but I felt like it. And that Victorius guy is very close to getting a fridge filled with books hurled his way.

Throw it here! I love reading cool books! ;)

Archived