madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Such as...

put into spoiler because its really off topic

All these depend on certain aspects, so these listed here are might not apply to you directly, but they are far from all the tricks they use.

The beforementioned hight of products, the important products in the back (like meat/fish and bread), 99$; 95$, or the sweets at the waiting line.

But there are so much more:

sales are actually a massive win, since they attract customers to actually come in and buy it, but at the same time go "oh i could use that and that and..."

the better known "big size is cheaper" trick where you are encouraged to buy the bigger one even if you dont need it

specific songs to calm the buyer to slow him down if he was in a rush

certain color pallets that have years of marketing behind them

founding sister/daughter companies to sell under another name, so even if you hate nestle, you very probably still consume a lot of their products, since they own like 30 other popular brands.

raising the price of a product (due to inflation) and making it a product on sale with the old price

and I'm not even in the marketing sector... thats just things I got told from an early age. But my friend who actually works for a marketing company says "its insane how many tricks they use" from demographic to sounddesign to agegroup to special payback cards and so on and so forth.

All of these are marginal effects. None of them hammer in your head: "BUY ME!!" like some futurama hypno toad :D

but it adds up.

There have been a variety of changes to thrown items (colliders, sizes, velocities, drag, timing, fix for throwing downward).

Does throwing rocks and things distract zombies now?

Will hitting a zombie with a rock hurt them in Alpha 18?

There have been a variety of changes to thrown items (colliders, sizes, velocities, drag, timing, fix for throwing downward).

poking back at your sore spot... i just survived the day 21/22 blood moon and i used the stack of 16 i got from doing a quest.

all i will tell you is... they worked perfect for me but just wasnt enough of them... yes i used them on group so not wasted on 1 zombie.... and i didnt blow myself up. :)

Good News! Thank you both for the info, much appreciated! :rockon:

I don't mind if it takes longer to get the base ready for battle again. In A16 it always took me a whole day to repair the base and prepare it for the next horde. It takes a while to place 700-900 wooden spikes. :)

But what would bother me about this zombie would be if he exploded no matter what you do. You can kill the cop before he explodes and thus prevent the explosion or you can get to safety in time. Something like that would also be desirable for the demolition zombie.

Currently the Demo explosion does a lot more damage to entities than blocks. One hit of his melee attack does as much block damage as the explosion, so you would want to kill him to stop him smashing on your walls.

Cool! Hang on...so, if something that was already in content lock is being redesigned, can that mean the other 70 odd bugs are also redesigns like 'redesign water for boats', 'redesign food for spoilage', 'rejig the world for 16k'? Lol

The must fix bugs are mostly actual bugs. Some are unfinished features, like 7 of them are for items that don't have an icon.

The demo zombie is basically done other than the numbers might need some tweaking and if we find any bugs with it. We have a new programmer helping out with some AI tasks, so he took over finishing the demo and I've been able to spend more time on occlusion and optimizations.

Prime, Kumquat and Hated will be streaming an A18 play session this Friday at 9pm CST. Joel might also stop by the streams to answer some questions so keep an eye out!

https://multistre.am/fubar_prime/kumquat_tv/hated7dtd/layout7/

Sorry, but whoever wrote that "official" tweet did you a disservice by not mentioning which day that 9pm would be at... Also, why would you be using CST when it's summer-time now, so it shouldn't be Central-Standard Timezone, but Central Timezone (CT) or maybe even Central-Daylight (CDT)?! :-B

Also, apparently Prime and Kumquat have forgotten they added a "Countdown to upcoming Twitch Stream" section on their twitch page, since both of them say "Stream Not Scheduled". :-|

I used twice the ammo, so why not get twice the reward? :D

We'll probably address it at some point, but its not a big deal since you have the same risk either way. Doing it the first time doesn't get you the quest reward.

ty for the answer. all true, yet its hard for me to be immersed in the Apocalypse when a whole POI magically get fixed, and filled with goodies and zombies in-front of me during my SP experience. ;)

and when the game goes gold i hope that if i ever encounter a huge yellow "!" in-game its some zombie in a football mascot suit that i can shoot in the face. :angel:

Since you're here (which is awesome btw!), and Da Man! for AI bits, anything you can tease us with regarding zombie pathing changes faatal? :)

Don't think you will see any major pathing changes in A18. Just some tweaks and bug fixes.

Don't think you will see any major pathing changes in A18. Just some tweaks and bug fixes.

Don't know if you would be the one to ask - but in A18, is it possible for XML to hook into the AI again?

This worked in A16 (allowing modders to create NPCs) but was broken in A17, I assume because the AI classes had changed. Did anyone hook up the new AI classes/methods yet?

Throwing rocks already distracts zombies in a17, I've used it multiple times during the early nights.

Thanks. It's been awhile since I tried it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and distractions are the same in A18.

Thanks.

Does it do damage if you hit them with a rock or something?

- - - Updated - - -

Live stream about to start. http://multitwitch.tv/fubar_prime/kumquat_tv/Hated7dtd/

I was watching the Live stream Alpha-18: http://multitwitch.tv/fubar_prime/kumquat_tv/Hated7dtd/

I noticed that the person playing Hated's avatar at times looked as if he was holding his torch as if he was going to throw a spear. I am not sure why but he could switch in and out of that animation

- - - Updated - - -

No damage from a thrown rock

Thanks Roland.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed that the three players seemed to not be in timesink with each other.

Looked as if Prime's avatar was ahead of everyone else.

I have been following this thread very silently.

It's nice that you are doing this twitch thing. But I am pretty sure that I am not the only one here, who doen't want to get spoiled. I want to be surprised by all the new features. I want to explore them first hand. I want to make mistakes and learn from them on my own, without somebody telling me what I should do in what way.

That said, I am still very hyped for A18. I just don't want to be a twitch number that tells you how many people are interested.

By the way... the 3 Smileys - I don't think they stand for anything. They do however remind me of the three seashells in Demolition Man

Don't know if you would be the one to ask - but in A18, is it possible for XML to hook into the AI again?

This worked in A16 (allowing modders to create NPCs) but was broken in A17, I assume because the AI classes had changed. Did anyone hook up the new AI classes/methods yet?

I am the one in charge of AI these days. A lot of AI code has changed, but AI is still setup through XML as it was before I started working on it. There is still AITask-x and AITarget-x properties.

I have been following this thread very silently.

It's nice that you are doing this twitch thing. But I am pretty sure that I am not the only one here, who doen't want to get spoiled. I want to be surprised by all the new features. I want to explore them first hand. I want to make mistakes and learn from them on my own, without somebody telling me what I should do in what way.

That said, I am still very hyped for A18. I just don't want to be a twitch number that tells you how many people are interested.

By the way... the 3 Smileys - I don't think they stand for anything. They do however remind me of the three seashells in Demolition Man

Understandable. I hate spoilers. Would rather figure stuff out myself until I get stuck, then help is nice to have.

Archived