Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Water is no fun because there are no threats, there are no water threats because there isn't enough water.

That's pretty much a perfectly circular argument.

Hmm... You could have Cops and fat zombies float, because fat. Just use the crawl animation for swimming.

#WaterThreatSolved.

That is an easy fix to make swimming require some stamina about like jogging does.

But then, do provide some craftable buoyancy devices. Those guys still have to deal with vultures, so it's not all relaxing and skinny dipping anyways :)

I made some in Conan. It felt like a waste of time and effort, then on top of that they degraded to nothing while I was offline. At the end of the day there's meat meat and more meat in that game, I saw no benefit to catching fish when there is meals on wheels coming at you constantly. Now compare it to 7 days, its literally the same, there are aggressive wolves, bears, mountain lions and bears trying to kill you, why would you fish when you have all this predator meat to eat? Until we get some specific food recipes that have x special effects regarding x meat ingredient I see it as fluff.

Seafood is supposed to be good for the brain. [humor]you should try it[/humor]

Yes but what about the 4 shots that missed?

Missed? What are you talking about :) but the second dude in the party will look slightly concerned that his buddy converted to to heap of pain for no apparent reason.

The fastest way to get experience is to go to the mine with a auger. The way is so fast that even 4 people in the party, actively killing zombies, will get less experience than a man in the mine. Will something change in 18A? Doesn't it seem strange to you that the game makes everyone go to the mines in order to learn all the skills faster?

The fastest way to get experience is to go to the mine with a auger. The way is so fast that even 4 people in the party, actively killing zombies, will get less experience than a man in the mine. Will something change in 18A? Doesn't it seem strange to you that the game makes everyone go to the mines in order to learn all the skills faster?

The problem here is that one thing is coupled to an exponential (or at least a normal x=2) increase in xp by going not by blocks, but by ressources harvested, while every other action is based on a stable line that always gives more or less the same amount of xp.

If irradiated zombie cops gave 12000 xp, this would be balanced again (for A17 standarts) or... you know... they could give you xp based on the kind of block/amount of blocks you mine, since if you get better at it, you are automaticially faster.

Buuuut... who am I to tell them what makes sense right :D

Hi guys, i noticed ion the update there will be more chances to find ammunition and perks/books to improve chances of finding brass in the game. i have proposed this in the suggestion thread but there wasn't many replies. what do you think if air-conditioner had a chance to drop brass radiator? its logical to me...

Pretty sure you meant “easy”.

Again, you are correct. Just like how any reasonable gamer who finds the game too easy would turn the difficulty up, one who finds it too hard would turn it down.

This is common sense... not seeing any issue at all.

No, I meant hard.

My point it you cant use the "change the difficulty" point because it does both ways.

hey Faatal, just an odd question, will there be a way to have in game for crafting or buyable at the traders any light fixtures? Possibly even colored ones like the red lights beside the ladders leading out of some pois, im wanting to use some in normal play.

MM said they think about allowing to pick up vanity items like lamps... so you can get them as loot from POI's and install them at your base.

I think you'll have to wait for A19 for that though.

The problem here is that one thing is coupled to an exponential (or at least a normal x=2) increase in xp by going not by blocks, but by ressources harvested, while every other action is based on a stable line that always gives more or less the same amount of xp.

If irradiated zombie cops gave 12000 xp, this would be balanced again (for A17 standarts) or... you know... they could give you xp based on the kind of block/amount of blocks you mine, since if you get better at it, you are automaticially faster.

Buuuut... who am I to tell them what makes sense right :D

One of the occasions I agree with VictoriousIII, though I would have refrained from posting the know-it-all remark at the end :cocksure:

@madmole, I believe I have a solution for the weather issues in 7D2D. In my opinion, the insulation liner and the cooling mesh mods should go into clothing, not armor. Not only would this free up an extra slot or two for other mods (which is always a plus), but if you had level 1 armor and could not fit one of these mods in, having them be able to go into clothing would fix this issue.

Clothing already has insulation and cooling values built in. Armor has none which is why the mods apply to armor — to give it properties clothing already has.

Not being able to install every single mod owned isn’t an issue that needs fixing.

Leveling is way slower in A18 and there is an XP slider if you don't like the defaults.

i known there is a slider, i wrote in my post that i'm at 75% right now

the problem is i like too much killing z's, and i found myself with too high GS from the beginning :D

i'm just worried that with traps giving me xp i level up way too fast (plus i don't like the idea of something static like a trap should give xp at all)

i just have to wait and see how all this work in a18, then make adjustment with the slider, but i like to know if this is hardcoded or editable via xml anyway

p.s. rereading this made me think that i could seem a little harsh, but i didn't mean it, english isn't my first language

A little more on-topic...

Count me among those who didn't really like the look of the dyes. But, personally, the problem was that it looked like you just put a filter on the model texture. I don't know if desaturating the colors would fix that.

A while ago, someone (forget who) suggested that the color should be a pattern instead, so e.g. you could have a "flame" design on the shotgun stock, or something along those lines. I have no idea how feasible this is, but it seems like it would just require another texture with a dedicated alpha channel. Maybe for gold?

Yeah to do them properly they should have an alpha mask. Desaturating helps a ton though.

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to show us. No more light through walls!

I wouldn't count on that. Code pulling a light in is not the same as a light set to not cast shadows, which is expensive. I'm not sure all our lights are set to cast shadows.

I wouldn't count on that. Code pulling a light in is not the same as a light set to not cast shadows, which is expensive. I'm not sure all our lights are set to cast shadows.

First, good morning! Up early on a Saturday, nice.

Second, shadows make the game look great! Frack a potato, remove the no shadows option entirely. Heck it's only used by laptop players and pvp guys anyway. :)

But then, do provide some craftable buoyancy devices. Those guys still have to deal with vultures, so it's not all relaxing and skinny dipping anyways :)

Exactly, see my point? As soon as we do anything to water, people will start requesting more and more features. Water will be left alone for a while, so its not broken further.

Missed? What are you talking about :) but the second dude in the party will look slightly concerned that his buddy converted to to heap of pain for no apparent reason.

If you didn't hear the shot, there might have been 4 more shots fired before one actually hit you lol.

Since weapon mods in 17A allow installation of sniper scopes on all weapons, the Marksman rifle lost its main feature and although the Dead Eye appeared, in my opinion, the rifle lost its relevance.

Are there any plans to upgrade existing rifles or add new ones?

For example, Ruger Deerfield Carbine 44 Magnum, Beretta C × 4 for 9 mm or .50 cal rifles?

So, is yours a Purple level 6? What mods do you have installed?

#7DTD-A18Relevant :cocksure:

Its totally vanilla, except for the cool accelerator/brake pedals that were nearly impossible to install. But they pretty much mod them out at the factory to the max these days.

XP has had a massive rebalance, and mining gets less xp as you progress so that its not ridiculous late game. It took me a minute and a half to go from level 50-51 with not even the best gear, so we had to do something about that. Party XP is getting a nerf too.

Hi guys, i noticed ion the update there will be more chances to find ammunition and perks/books to improve chances of finding brass in the game. i have proposed this in the suggestion thread but there wasn't many replies. what do you think if air-conditioner had a chance to drop brass radiator? its logical to me...

I didn't even think of that, its a good suggestion. We'll add it if there seems to be a shortage.

Archived