Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Try playing on those servers that support 40 concurrent players and host up to 2k individual players during their lifespan. By day 1000 you can't find any car, by day 2000 all the buildings have been looted at least once and brass is very hard to find.

Yea, you don't get to complain about balance if you're playing well outside of the scope set by the developers.

The only issue with half and quarter blocks (and other odd shapes) having the same HP as full blocks is the exploit.

Build your base with half blocks, AND have the ability to see/shoot through the walls.

Yup makes for some interesting builds and fun gameplay. What a shame huh? 😉

It's an unfair advantage to the player, and I know you guys don't like that. Fine, y'all aren't going to fix it, but it is a freebie to us.

I havent made a pole base in a17 yet because I was told it's a bad setup now. With the zombie focus fire on the weakest block it's a no go in a17.

In a16 I'd agree with you. Not sure if that's the case anymore. I'll try it.

Also without that base setup we are back to the same old stand on top of a tower shoot down setup we have always done.

Stronger hand on top is used in martial art Jogo de Pao. But commonly, stronger arm used to be at top and weaker hand at rear.

For ambush hunting you only get one shot at it so you need to make that shot count. It's used more like a pike than a staff.

Some people want to sit in a base, mine and craft everything they need and never leave the safety of their fort.

I have been doing t5 quests repeatedly. Big towers, tough zeds. It's not worth it, not even close. I do a poi for an ok reward but I ended the tower with -500 ammo.

The current a17 thinking is big pois are not even close to worth it. They are ammo sinks.

Just keep this in mind for a18 please. Sounds like you are, so that's good.

For ambush hunting you only get one shot at it so you need to make that shot count. It's used more like a pike than a staff.

You do hold pike with your weaker hand on the end, you aware of that? :D Also, in case of ambush, you would probably either throw it (using it in one hand) or use it to charge and thrust, which you would do with your weaker hand.. again on the rear. Giving the directions on end where it is easiest to manipulate while giving it speed with right hand just before you stab with both hands.

Try playing on those servers that support 40 concurrent players and host up to 2k individual players during their lifespan. By day 1000 you can't find any car, by day 2000 all the buildings have been looted at least once and brass is very hard to find.

Besides the obvious that the server is well passed what is intended. Something like this don't think A18 will help or any at that. But good news is it won't be worse at least you have the trader and keep doing quest to reset the poi.

I mean servers like this seem to need looked over more by the admin more. They should set rules in areas of no buildings so they can reset the areas and such or add mods to them. Only other thing would be with that many people after so long reset the world it self. Either way highly doubt they will balance the game for that many people when it it isn't intended to have that many.

I was really talking of a late game quest, a hard one. If it reduced your loot quality so what when you already have the best stuff. Otherwise you just walking to the end where the zombies get so hard and numerous you become an ammo factory. I was talking about some kind of in game hope...whatever though

This shouldn't be done with gamestage though. Gamestage doesn't reduce zombie numbers, it just spawns weaker zombies. Also makes you find worse loot. Right idea, wrong instrument.

What you want is more like a counter or flag per area that reduces zombie spawns if you cleared the space/pois in that area or did the right quest there.

I havent made a pole base in a17 yet because I was told it's a bad setup now. With the zombie focus fire on the weakest block it's a no go in a17.

In a16 I'd agree with you. Not sure if that's the case anymore. I'll try it.

Also without that base setup we are back to the same old stand on top of a tower shoot down setup we have always done.

Not sure, but do they really attack the **SI**-weakest block? If they have a path to you, sure, they take the weakest path.

But without a path, i.e. for example with a pole base they just seem to attack random blocks. I.e. if you give them enough blocks to hit, they won't discriminate between SI-important blocks and totally superfluous blocks. Or am I wrong here?

This shouldn't be done with gamestage though. Gamestage doesn't reduce zombie numbers, it just spawns weaker zombies. Also makes you find worse loot. Right idea, wrong instrument.

What you want is more like a counter or flag per area that reduces zombie spawns if you cleared the space/pois in that area or did the right quest there.

Not sure, but do they really attack the **SI**-weakest block? If they have a path to you, sure, they take the weakest path.

But without a path, i.e. for example with a pole base they just seem to attack random blocks. I.e. if you give them enough blocks to hit, they won't discriminate between SI-important blocks and totally superfluous blocks. Or am I wrong here?

They will attack a random block. Once it gets damaged that's the focus for the entire horde. Dont they get a damage bonus if enough zeds get together too? Or was that a planned feature? I forget.

Madmole or Roland, how are the translations on the A18? in the A16 and A17 were almost zero, we can enjoy a18 with translation into Spanish? I saw a story that in the United States add 60 million people who speak Spanish and is the second most spoken language in the world, surpassed only by Chinese Mandarin

Madmole or Roland, how are the translations on the A18? in the A16 and A17 were almost zero, we can enjoy a18 with translation into Spanish? I saw a story that in the United States add 60 million people who speak Spanish and is the second most spoken language in the world, surpassed only by Chinese Mandarin

I doubt you'll see much on this until the game goes out of Alpha and into Beta (at least). They wouldn't want to spend dollars on professional translation if what they get the translators to translate changes, so until everything is fixed and set in concrete, or nearly so, localisation isn't likely to be a priority.

Coyotes and cougars are in, aside from sounds. No to the rest. Horses would set us back 6 months to a year to do them properly. We have vehicles horses are fluff. Raising animals would kill the performance, so no.

The horses will be in the A19?

And in the A18 are you going to put boats?

You do hold pike with your weaker hand on the end, you aware of that? :D Also, in case of ambush, you would probably either throw it (using it in one hand) or use it to charge and thrust, which you would do with your weaker hand.. again on the rear. Giving the directions on end where it is easiest to manipulate while giving it speed with right hand just before you stab with both hands.

This is what I mean...

File%3APike_square_img_3653.jpg

A lot of public servers have "reset zones", generally in a city. So all cars, pois, etc. are regularly refreshed. It's really not a problem.

This is what I mean...

File%3APike_square_img_3653.jpg

Oh you mean those used mainly in late history of melee weapons. Yes, those were held by left hand in front, since they were used differently. Mostly for deffense, where you held it to the ground with your stronger hand or for a single charge where you added movement with your running speed and body weight. They were not used for fighting though, after this one action, the pikemen were equipped with swords to fight.

I meant long thrusting (not throwing) spears used by greek, chinesse or later Roman Legions (from third rank backwards, so they could thrust spears over their allies, gladiuses were not able to reach there). It is true that Roman legionares used them mostly in one hand. At least for that long as long their shield didn't get destroyed or dropped.

I guess this is the closest of what i meant :)

The vanilla game lists those servers in the multiplayer section.

Only lawyers believe links are endorsement. :cocksure:

They will attack a random block. Once it gets damaged that's the focus for the entire horde. Dont they get a damage bonus if enough zeds get together too? Or was that a planned feature? I forget.

They get a damage bonus. That they would concentrate their efforts makes sense when they have a path to you. But if not (i,e, stilt base) that damaged block should be still as enticing as any other.

After seeing the stream, I have a slight issue with the spear. It's extremely weird how it's held right below the spearhead even throughout the attack animation, and it makes the range very hard to gauge because it looks like it hits with an invisible hitbox that extends further than the tip. It'd be nice if it could be corrected so the character holds it lower than that.

One issue I haven't seen anyone mention or discuss, is the BIG difference in performance on the different systems in livestream. One was pretty much 60 fps the whole time with a few hiccups, but the other two were much lower fps, with some bad pop in like those clumpy scrub trees that magically look normal when you are 25 feet away from them.

It would be nice to see system specs from the different developer streamer systems so we can better gauge how its going to run.

I would assume the developers would have some pretty beefy systems, and if so, what was saw one 2 out of three systems was not improved performance, but worse depending on what resolution they were using.

I AM hoping they can get a follow through animation in on melee weapons on a miss swing, because the sledge looked bad stopping in mid swing on a miss.

Since the game can detect a missed hit, I would hope that a complete swing animation could be added using that info. It would suck that you couldn't swing again until it was completed, but that is the penalty you pay for a high damage melee weapon and not targeting your swing properly.

The stone axe animation looks GREAT though, with it even having a little of that bounce on a hit that you see when hitting something hard in real life.

The horses will be in the A19?

And in the A18 are you going to put boats?

Madmole's was an illustration of why they are NOT adding horses, period.

There are no large bodies of water, so there isn't a need or use for boats yet. Once they get large water bodies in rwg again, then they'll consider adding boats.

Archived