Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

By Johnny Newcome I meant anyone who is uninformed. The guy informed you what I already wrote, then you attack him for helping out.

I didnt attack him, you seem to have missed he quoted the thing I already quoted in my question. So I wasnt "Johhny newcome", I was already replying to the same damn thing lol. Thats like if you replied to me with a quote, then someone else replied to you with the same quote to shut you up. That's not discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people want to sit in a base, mine and craft everything they need and never leave the safety of their fort.

Sigh.. really. Says the SP guy who plays 21 days then restarts. Go try scrapping cars etc for brass on a server with several die hards who loot all the time. You really dont get it.

Hmmm, I never ever had issues with ammo and I always played on insane with some funny multipliers to get my gamestage in thousands quickly. Brass=car radiators, also brass, bullets and bullet casings can be bought from traders, it was very easy to get bullets in a16 and now in a17, I had full boxes of 7.62mm, if players really want to get resources then there are many ways how to get them it just takes a little effort.

So tell me, how do you clear big POIs? I mean those that make you spend hundreds of ammo for almost no loot at the end? I am curious. Insane diff and radiated zombies. They tank a lot damage.

Hmmm, I never ever had issues with ammo and I always played on insane with some funny multipliers to get my gamestage in thousands quickly. Brass=car radiators, also brass, bullets and bullet casings can be bought from traders, it was very easy to get bullets in a16 and now in a17, I had full boxes of 7.62mm, if players really want to get resources then there are many ways how to get them it just takes a little effort.

Great, now do that on a server with several die-hard players for a longer time, because THATS MY POINT. See how much you can loot after a while. Not talking about SP here, SP is easy-mode scrapping no matter what setting because it's just you.

Some people want to sit in a base, mine and craft everything they need and never leave the safety of their fort.

I just hope that you guys optimize the game at some point and I can finally have my 500+ wandering zombie hordes. Last time I played I multiplied zombie spawns in different bioms by 5 to 20 and set wandering horde size to 250 and also had only zombie dog or only zombie bear wandering hordes, scariest probably was to see hundreds of radiated cops running around and btw - because I had so many zombies they easily got into traders place - just jumped over the fence, it was insane experience as nowhere is safe.

It all completely changes the game - even basic tasks require so much extra work, i.e., 200-300 zombies around house means that if I tried to enter it and even one zombie saw me they all would just attack entrance, so I had to dance around them, maneuver and get them into huge group, lead them away from my entrance and only after that I could enter my home. So if I wanted to be home before this madness starts running I had to leave several in-game hours just in case that there are too many zombies near my home. Also mining and gathering resources above ground was very funny as mostly I managed to hit a boulder 5-6 times before I was surrounded, changed the way I played the game completely and watching hundreds of zombies burn from molotovs is a spectacular view, now I hope to play and see 500+ zombies on my screen without slideshow :)

Great, now do that on a server with several die-hard players for a longer time, because THATS MY POINT. See how much you can loot after a while. Not talking about SP here, SP is easy-mode scrapping no matter what setting because it's just you.

I think melting dukes for brass would fix this, and they were just talking about it as though it were likely to happen. It basically means you can convert nearly anything into brass by selling it for actual brass, it's just in the shape of coins. Fits well to since it used to be a thing previously(can't imagine why it was removed actually). Seems a simple fix to me.

The resetting POI thing does respawn brass like he said, though I have not played one of these extremely long MP games in A17, the only 2 I've played that intensely were both in A16, so I don't know how effective the POI resetting via quests actually is in those now. I do imagine it'd be better since that wasn't even possible in A16. There was only loot respawning, air drops, and looting the Z's. Those were always enough, though it got tight in my long long games, it was still attainable, just rare and we had to actually be more conservative with our ammo, and being more accurate helps too:) These are all factors that can be enhanced in the game settings btw, so whoever starts/runs those servers could resolve it by making loot respawn more frequently, same with air drop frequency. If in the games your referring to they left that at default or made it more challenging then you need to address this problem more so with the admins/host than the devs in the first place.

You should also keep in mind that by pouring tons of hours over weeks or months of time into one MP world is on the extreme side and can in ways push the balance system to it's breaking point, this being one case. These Alpha cycles barely last long enough to really test those types of games. They do happen, but just barely before a new alpha drops, I see this being solved, but not easy perhaps, just do-able, if you get off your ass and go do it, as we are constantly so wisely reminded. Anyway I dig the dukes melt idea, between that, the reset POIs, and maximizing/managing server settings appropriately, running out of brass should become a non-issue.

You can't be too obscene with your ammo usage either, I know I had to learn the hard way a few times. If you have some intensely vast mega base with a few dozen turrets and use nothing but your AK on full auto then you are gonna chew though some serious stacks of brass loving ammunition. Maybe just adapt some other weapons and tactics in that case, use the shotgun more, discover the joy of molotovs, go nuts with blade traps, create obscenely vast fields of spikes and barbed wire, use more shotty turrets, and so on. I just think reassessing your ammo usage to begin with can go a very long way in dealing with this problem as well. Once I modified my overall usage, and got more accurate with my AK (no full auto for example), I've not since had a brass problem. I also use many alternatives like molotovs, shottys, traps, etc. I actually did it all to save me the time/effort of having to make so much damn ammo in the first place, my need for brass dropping dramatically overall was just a bonus at that point(in both A16 and A17 btw).

I think the biggest issue with lack of brass tells more about the players' mind sets than about game mechanics. We as consumers are so used to get everything we want, as much as we want, and immediately when we want, preferably cheap if not free.

One of the biggest appeals to me in 7d2d is the scarcity of everything. Please remember that we are living in a post apocalyptic world, where all industrial production has ceased, and we are forced to scavenge the scraps of civilization just to survive. It forces us humans to utilize and improve the best of our traits, developing ingenuity in order to survive past a time of crisis.

So, ask not how can you quickly and easily get vast amounts of cheap ammo, but rather "how can i get past all those sleeping zombies to my quest objective with just my crossbow, stack of barbed wires, and handful of molotov cocktails.

Why keep going on and on about this? I have played on servers with lots of people and hadn't had much of an issue. But none of it even matters A17 is about over, you brought it up and now like madmole said play A18 first then complain about it if you still feel like it is an issue. But to go back and forth over something silly after being told several different reasons why A18 might be better to get brass isn't going to get you anywhere.

So what's up besides brass anything else you like to see? 🤔😉

There are a number of possible problems. Collision and stability? Can you spam free instant bullet defenses with these? I imagine collision is set to melee so it can be upgraded? I would like to unify the shape icons and the blueprint blocks solve that.

I'd want a contextual upgrade material for the hammer.

I'd say no collision for anything other than secondary action of construction tool (shoot-through, walk-through, fall-through, hit-through). So, with construction tool LMB would hit right through, and RMB upgrade. All other weapons would just hit/shoot through. So definitely no instant defenses of any kind.

It would??

You and The Gronk keep acting like the problem with them going for weaker shapes is obvious, but I don't know to what you're referring.

Remove the middle two vertical lines of blocks from your wall, fill the gap with vertical half-blocks situated on opposite sides of the gap. You should be able to walk in and out of your base through the remaining hole while zombies consider it to be a solid wall.

There is a close-range AI that may kick in if you get too close but as long as you stay back a bit you have an entrance that a wandering horde refuses to pass through.

Updated:

The only way to solve the following exploit would be to have a pathing weight done per face.

2:05:40 mark in Prime's video.

You can thank me later :)

Thank you! No, really, I appreciate the link with timestamp. :)

Prime said "experimental weekend." I'm not trying to get you on a technicality, but I genuinely thought you meant something else when you said "weekend experimental." I thought you hoped to twist Prime's words into meaning experimental would come this weekend or next weekend or some other particular date. That kind of rumor spreads like wildfire, so I thought it was worth refuting. My apologies for seeing an implication in your post that apparently wasn't there.

This has zero appeal. Every game I play when it gets too easy after I reach high level I quit playing, there is no fun with god mode on.

I was really talking of a late game quest, a hard one. If it reduced your loot quality so what when you already have the best stuff. Otherwise you just walking to the end where the zombies get so hard and numerous you become an ammo factory. I was talking about some kind of in game hope...whatever though

Remove the middle two vertical lines of blocks from your wall, fill the gap with vertical half-blocks situated on opposite sides of the gap. You should be able to walk in and out of your base through the remaining hole while zombies consider it to be a solid wall.

There is a close-range AI that may kick in if you get too close but as long as you stay back a bit you have an entrance that a wandering horde refuses to pass through.

Thanks for the example, but that is not a problem with them going for weaker shapes. Half blocks with less HP than full blocks would lessen that problem if anything. What I don't understand is the part that's a "weird exploit" or "would look dumb" if a block's shape affected its HP.

Thanks for the example, but that is not a problem with them going for weaker shapes. Half blocks with less HP than full blocks would lessen that problem if anything. What I don't understand is the part that's a "weird exploit" or "would look dumb" if a block's shape affected its HP.

I'm at work today so I can't really experiment. Royale Deluxe would be the one to list the exploits, that bugger is great at finding them :-)

Just for the record, I think block HP should affect the pathing but not be the basis of it, a subtle difference in the grand old scheme of things.

It should also be noted that I was against the use of A* for pathfinding in the first place. I'm just trying to make the best result with the tools provided.

The goal is to increase game stage in some biomes we want by design to be harder. You need game staging for teams, and proper scaling of enemies based on all the conditions, like I'm dying a lot so we scale it down. Going to the easy biome is not a solution if you spawn in the wasteland. How do you get there? You get killed by vultures and puking cops and radiated ferals over and over again. Ark is not fun the first 2 hours.

Im glad to hear that the goal is to increase difficulty in biomes.

How ever I don't see why enemies has to scale based on player level (Game stage).

If you go to the gym and work out you don't expect you coffee cup to increase in weight just because you become stronger right?

Make pine forest the starter biome, and the only biome you can spawn in. If you want to spawn in another biome place a sleeping bag. If you die a lot and have to travel back to the waste land. Then you are probably not prepared to venture there. Easy :)

Having biomes spawning their own tire of loot and zombies will make exploring much more interesting.

example.

Pine forest:

Starter biome. Here you can only find starter tire items and low HP zombies.

You will only find tools that can give you starter materials like wood and scrap iron.

Weapons are basically makeshift and stone age weapons.

Here life is good and easy. Want a bigger challenge venture out to the next biome the Desert.

Desert:

You have to come prepared and with the right gear to be able to survive the hot hot climate and penetrate the hard dried skin of the zombies in this biome, even the wild life is harder here.

But if you are lucky you might find a gun or rifle here. Also the resources are better here, being able to make a forge, glass, iron and much more will get you prepared for the next biome....

Radiated zone:

Insane nightmare mode, how long will you survive?.

Here everything wants to kill you. There isn't a spot where you will be safe.

Running radiated zombies and wild life will chase you over the mine filled radiated wasteland landscape. Hell even the food wants to kill you!

On the other hand, this is the only place where you will find that epic loot you been dreaming about.

Settle down here and everyone will know you walk the walk!

Area difficulty works as it does in many other RPG games. If you have a team mate that has better gear he/she can help you out.

If you are a skilled player4 you can probably skip a few biomes.

If you want to build in peace, you build in the starter area.

If you want a challenge you venture to the radiated zone. Good luck!

You can like not make spawnpoints in the wasteland then..

Im a big proponent of having the game use different regions with different difficulty levels (both enemy difficulty but also higher loot quality).

It does not necessarily need to be linked to the biomes, and could use other indicators of how hard the area will be. (POI types, certain vegetation, certain environmental effects)

It also allows to have high and low level players on the same map, they just venture to different destinations, depending on their level.

+1

In whichever alpha it was where they added landmines to wasteland, they soon after made it so the game wasn't supposed to spawn you in wasteland. It still did on occasion, I noticed, but far less often. Usually it chose to spawn you in another biome adjacent to wasteland, so it was technically obeying the rule but if you stepped a few blocks in the wrong direction you got a landmine, or a dog was spawned in the wasteland within aggro range of your freshly respawned, nearly helpless self...

Yeah I dont recall spawning in wasteland any more... but i could be wrong.

Hey I had a few ideas I wanted to share to include in the roadmap: better zombies, a functioning elevator (because theres electricity ingame and it would make for cool situations), and also integrate some really good mods onto the main game e.g. Firearms 2, which already has a bunch of models functioning and ready to go. Also bigger diversity in vehicles like trains, tanks, boats, planes, buldozers, farming vehicles and perfurators. Oh and also, crude oil pouches.

Cheers.:strawberry:

Yeah I dont recall spawning in wasteland any more... but i could be wrong.

Alpha 17.3, we did both (me and friend) spawn in wasteland biome. Next to the city, just each of us on other side of the city.

Hey I had a few ideas I wanted to share to include in the roadmap: better zombies, a functioning elevator (because theres electricity ingame and it would make for cool situations), and also integrate some really good mods onto the main game e.g. Firearms 2, which already has a bunch of models functioning and ready to go. Also bigger diversity in vehicles like trains, tanks, boats, planes, buldozers, farming vehicles and perfurators. Oh and also, crude oil pouches.

Cheers.:strawberry:

Elevator is one of my top wishes. Car detroying ramps everytime i want to hide it in my base is just.. Not cool.

BTW, I was just curious about the blunderbuss. Is there any particular reason why it forces to reload immediately after firing THE shot? I'm asking because I read somewhere that it used to be a routine cavalry tactic to carry two pistols, and fire each one only once just before charging into the row of enemy zombies and switching to melee.

I tried to use the blunderbuss that way (fired one shot first and immediately tried to switch to club), but can't do it. Always stuck loading. Spending all that useful zombie stunned time cramming powder and pebbles into my thunder stick. Why can't it be more like smg, after emptying your clip you get an empty 'click', and need to press R or click LMB once more to reload?

I love the blunderbuss, I only want it to love me back! :'o

Alpha 17.3, we did both (me and friend) spawn in wasteland biome. Next to the city, just each of us on other side of the city.

Yeah I haven't had time to play since 17.1. So maybe it is a thing now or always has been.. just my personal reflection.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I was just curious about the blunderbuss. Is there any particular reason why it forces to reload immediately after firing THE shot? I'm asking because I read somewhere that it used to be a routine cavalry tactic to carry two pistols, and fire each one only once just before charging into the row of enemy zombies and switching to melee.

I tried to use the blunderbuss that way (fired one shot first and immediately tried to switch to club), but can't do it. Always stuck loading. Spending all that useful zombie stunned time cramming powder and pebbles into my thunder stick. Why can't it be more like smg, after emptying your clip you get an empty 'click', and need to press R or click LMB once more to reload?

oh that would be nice!

Already discussed, same problem is with the crossbow, which renders it pretty much useless. Bow has it too, but the animation is quick and nimble so it is not so much of an issue.

Yeah I haven't had time to play since 17.1. So maybe it is a thing now or always has been.. just my personal reflection.

Well, to be honest it was one map out of 4 we played on A17. But it does happen. Maybe it was bug or something. Maybe there is a small chance.

-----------------------

Also, update...

Is the spear going to stand on right side of the screen? I mean, the characters are obviously right handed. So they shound have right hand on top of spear. So spear should be on left side of screen. Right?

Also, i remembered. Before, we could attach flashlight to a weapon without problem. Now we need a mod. Mod that can not be crafted without schematic to be specific. When all it takes it to take a weapon, take a flashlight and ducktape / wire the hell out of it. It even looks like that ingame if i remember correctly.

Is the spear going to stand on right side of the screen? I mean, the characters are obviously right handed. So they shound have right hand on top of spear. So spear should be on left side of screen. Right?

The strong hand provides the power, the other guides the tip. They got it right.

You can see this in the arm bones of neanderthals who primarily hunted with spears.

I have played on servers with lots of people and hadn't had much of an issue.

Try playing on those servers that support 40 concurrent players and host up to 2k individual players during their lifespan. By day 1000 you can't find any car, by day 2000 all the buildings have been looted at least once and brass is very hard to find.

Try playing on those servers that support many more concurrent players than the game is designed for and host up to 2k individual players during their lifespan. By day 1000 you can't find any car, by day 2000 all the buildings have been looted at least once and brass is very hard to find.

Fixed

The strong hand provides the power, the other guides the tip. They got it right.

You can see this in the arm bones of neanderthals who primarily hunted with spears.

Stronger hand on top is used in martial art Jogo de Pao. But commonly, stronger arm used to be at top and weaker hand at rear.

Archived