Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Hey MM! Just wanted to buzz in and give some straight feedback, because i'm not sure if u read the "official" feedback thread. My feedback conserns mining tools. Especially Auger. I've restarted everytime a new exp build has come alive. So now I've tried about 10 different games. And in my opinion, Auger is quest reward waaaaay to often.

I am mining atm with Q3 auger atm and i got it on day 2 from quest reward. I've yet seen a steel pick of any quality. And i think this is way to OP. I'm getting way more augers than steel picks in my games. I think they rly should be tuned a bit. As a player, i would like to see augers waaaaay later, not right off the bat, like now it seems to be the case.

Maybe completely remove augers from the quest rewards? Or make them way harder to obtain? In my mind, they are supposed to be late game tools, not Day 2 tools.

I'd love to mine with steel pick but can't do, because there just ain't one. I've gotten steel pick like once in my games. And like 6 augers. Needs some balance there, imo. I feel too overpowered on day 5 to mine with Q3 auger. That is why i will scrap my Q3 auger and continue with Q2 iron pick, which is crafted by me.

Cheers!

-Kipster

Probably random, I'm on day 33 or so and haven't got a steel pick or an auger, I'm still using my green pick I crafted myself.

btw do you have any plans to polish the RWG? i have tested Pregen01 and pregen03 and they make a big % of the map only terrain, cities and towns are way to apart from eachother, it makes the initial exploration to choose a place to live very tedious. And could the towns be bigger? with less zeds in pois now i can clean a whole town in like 1 day (real life time) wich kinda forces me to re-settle very often wich is annoying.

I’m playing Pregen01, and I spawned on the border of desert and forest with about five towns within 2kms of each other. (The trader options are kind of slim. I just started some map exploration to see if the others are nearby.)

The towns are a little small, but the quests keep respawning the buildings making it work.

(Sorry for typos, misspelling etc, i am from Finland and a little drunk atm)

So, it's evening of day 6. I've just got my Q3 Auger up and running with mods and i decided to make a shortcut to the trader, which was just like 100-200m away from my home. But between me andthe trader was a hill, that i did not want to climb over and over again. So i started to make a tunnel. I had wrenched about 3000 fuel before, so i started mining. At first, there was notghing to report, just mining trough rock as fast as i could, refuiling time to time. Then, the night came. I continued on, when i heard a scream, different from what i've heard before. So that must be a wight! I turned 180 on my heels, stopped mining and ran home as fast as i could, yes, i got spooked. But when i got home....

I went in from the front door and i was greeted with screamer, in my bace, chilling. Killed her (Rip u beatiful woman) and then i saw it. My warehouse room was breached, that effin bitch had destroyed THAT chest, where kept all my vehicle parts (i had one gyro, one truck, one motorcycle) and some top end clothers for hot or cold biomes.... ALL GONE because i ignored the back wall, which was made from plain wood. Ofc she plowed trought that while i was mining. i also lost 4 beakers. And before i realised that the beakers were there to, i specced into intellect, so i could build chem bench. ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ it! So back to square one. Luckily trader has a working bench. But it can't rally make up the gyro parts, truck parts, motorcycle parts and all the other things, like mods and those elusive beakers!

But still, i just love it! Game punished me for my arrogance and did it the hard way! So off to looting more car poi's or non existent hostipals in my rwg!

I just fricking rly love this! Just nerf the Auger drop from quest rewards and omg imma gonna have a joygasm, maybe with snowgod, together, like bros, with tissue....?

-Kipster

Edit: Yes, Snowgod is used to know as snowdog. But he is god of joygasms, right?

That is awesome. I'll check the code on it.

Day 16, horde night. 60 minute days, 64 max alive, 20% AI block damage. Always walk. Spent the first hour or so outside on my fighting platforms then went inside to fight from behind my wooden bars. Actually used the junk turrets, which I swore not to do but they were really fun and effective.

Horde exhausted by 01:50. No glowies, police or demolishers yet.

At one point I was behind my wooden bars and it really felt like I had a massive horde on the other side, I couldn't see past them. And it ran really really well.

Congrats fun pimps!

Oh, and by the way. I bought my son a gaming PC. We're starting our first co-op game at the weekend.

Nice we should sell them on our store, I hear PC stock is rising because of Alpha 18 lol.

Bring weather back.

I would love to see weather being back in the game. I really liked it when it was in the game a few Alpha's ago. It had flaws but it was nice to see.

Now the only things I see is overcast look sometimes. I never see rain anymore.

I want to hear thunder and see lighting and have the effect day and night.

I would love to see it cross over boimes to please.

Thanks.

Mid game this might change. But early game players will go into spears, and then likely stay there for melee.

Until guns play a role.

I decide what I'm using before I kick off the random world gen. You can get a couple ranks right away and be using whatever you want to specialize in. There is no waiting, you just do it. Leather wraps for brawler, wooden club for strength, etc. The only one you have to wait for is stun baton every other build just get right into it and perk melee immediately. A perked anything is better than an uperked anything IMO. As long as you spend those early game points correctly you can make any primitive weapon badass. Stone sledge I'd get one perk for it and one for sex rex right away so I can use it better. For fort I put 1 into brawler, 1 into regen, and two on the attribute since I won't have an AK right away. Two into brawler on my first level, etc.

I don't spend points on heavy armor until I can actually craft it. The armor rating is just as good with no perks and movement diminish good enough with mods.

uhm...bow and for that matter crosbow is not a firearm. I kinda get the reasoning for guns needing parts as that is hardly something you jury rig yourself, but wooden bow?

You know I meant damn good and well "ranged weapons" FFS its T2 it uses parts, period. We can rename it advanced bow if it makes you feel better.

Guys is it just me or with every experimental the ram usage drops even more. In first a18 public experimental build it used around 5gb of my system ram of total 8. In a 17 it was around 6-7gb.

Now its a bizarre amount 2gb of ram. Is it just my computer offloading stuff to virtual memory? Or the game requirement for ram has reduced so greatly?

- - - Updated - - -

btw do you have any plans to polish the RWG? i have tested Pregen01 and pregen03 and they make a big % of the map only terrain, cities and towns are way to apart from eachother, it makes the initial exploration to choose a place to live very tedious. And could the towns be bigger? with less zeds in pois now i can clean a whole town in like 1 day (real life time) wich kinda forces me to re-settle very often wich is annoying.

You are clearing out a whole town in one day, and early game (initial exploration)? That is like 30+ houses, several big businesses, some factories that take 2 hours of real time and 500 rounds. I'd like to see you do a speed run of a full town early game. Sorry I'm not buying anything you say. Most towns are pretty big, I've got some with probably 60 buildings in them, or two so close that it is that many. Its not meant to be walmart where you camp outside and go get whatever you want, exploration and finding what you need over multiple cities is intended game play.

We might add options later that let you fine tune things.

Bring weather back.

I would love to see weather being back in the game. I really liked it when it was in the game a few Alpha's ago. It had flaws but it was nice to see.

Now the only things I see is overcast look sometimes. I never see rain anymore.

I want to hear thunder and see lighting and have the effect day and night.

I would love to see it cross over boimes to please.

Thanks.

Weather still needs work.

Probably random, I'm on day 33 or so and haven't got a steel pick or an auger, I'm still using my green pick I crafted myself.

I'll be honest, now that I'm thinking about it we've found more augurs than steel picks as well in our game, but beyond finding a single augur the first week, it took a while for the second, third, and 4th to show up. Which is two more than we had of steel picks, but we're still on 18.0 Stable so they aren't in the trader there still I think.

Sadly (and stupidly) I just completely nuked our world, and none of my automated snapshots were working since I did a server migration for the NAS the server VM was stored on about a month and a half ago. Currently building anew, but nobody else wants to do Experimentals right now.

@Madmole, did day 28 horde night tonight with one of my crew, after trick or treaters, and it was non-stop action. Prior to horde night I bumped our difficulty to 3 out of 5, made it 28 zombies per character, and zombies "run" (we're considering bumping all that up again before the next horde night). Updated my base some, I spent most of the last 7 days (120 min days) adding my living quarters to the top since I'm that confident I'll be okay living above instead of having them miles apart. Added makeshift electric fences (will properly place before next horde night).

I'm still rocking the intellect build, those junk turrets are ruthless and ammo hogs, definitely going to have to make ALOT more junk turret ammo for the next bloodmoon, more than i did for this one. I'm glad horde night ended when it did, my ammo was getting to the oh crap point. Got the Art of Mining completed today, so mining for the much needed iron should go much smoother/faster with that "one-shot to ore" chance.

Favorite pic of the night was (again with the birds, but the way they were dive bombing me, in formation, was awesome looking):

m6sZNUW.png

Day 28 Video:

-- (not alot of talking, just zed killing)

Steam changed what my library looks like, different format. Now there is no longer an option to open the game launcher when Right-clicking 7d2d.

How do I open the advanced game launcher to erase old saves/maps etc. now?

weird, when i click "Play" it gives me the option to

KGqx851.png

oops, I am dumb thanks. (I always got there from RMB on 7d2d before, never noticed that x.x) ... even though it is plain as day..

hey no worries.. good to ask when you're done pulling your hair out trying to figure it out yourself, hopefully before then or you'll end up like me, or maybe it was my kids that made me bald, either way...lol

From the latest EXP build

"Removed the blood draw kit is no longer used"

The blood draw kit removed? how am I supposed to get blood for the blood god now?

Seriously though Is there another Semi-reliable source of medkits or blood bags now or are these meant to become Essentially scavenge only?

Edit: Also does anyone know if any of the perk magazines affect sledgehammers?

This might be more mod territory, but I always thought it would be cool if traders started out small and grew as you helped them with quest. The more work that you have done for a trader the better stuff they might have. Their base could even reflect that by growing and getting better the farther you progress. This would add a extra goal to do as well. Might not be the best idea but just one that I'v had floating in my head.

There was a fairly substantial discussion a while ago (possibly in this thread, possibly the A17 version) where people were suggesting "upgrade" trader quests. So, traders start out crappy, but by finishing quests their POIs get upgraded. Broken workstations would be "repaired," the POI itself would have more defenses, etc.

That never went anywhere as far as I know, but it sounds right in line with what you're suggesting.

There was a fairly substantial discussion a while ago (possibly in this thread, possibly the A17 version) where people were suggesting "upgrade" trader quests. So, traders start out crappy, but by finishing quests their POIs get upgraded. Broken workstations would be "repaired," the POI itself would have more defenses, etc.

That never went anywhere as far as I know, but it sounds right in line with what you're suggesting.

I personally would love to see a "supply route" Quest where a trader sends you on a quest to find another trading post. Would be nice to have a way to locate them without driving around aimlessly for hours

I agree with the upgrading traders idea, where the base they have is in shambles and barely able to hold the zombies out, as you do quests for them the poi they are in grows, could even have somewhere a quest to allow lodging for sleeping through the night for those that desire that in the playthrough, even having quests to deliver an item to another trader, that would help us find traders, explore the map and have them be more desirable to go to, they are good right now, but building them up would also work for when npc characters get added in, a stepping stone if you will.

Archived