Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I was thinking you could only get a chance for a legendary item in T6 dungeons like shotgun messiah factory. There should be a legendary chest at the end of the POI that you cant cheese your way too.

Yeah or a quest reward for t5-6 clear. NO way to cheese those.

Some wheels aren't worth reinventing.

I don't care... Water, rad zone, makes no difference if the square footage is the same...

...I wanna know what you removed? Y'all don't do things like this on a whim. Is the rad terrain now gone? Because that would suck.

- - - Updated - - -

We're talking about codes hidden in the houses to unlock the super chest, or on a boss, so crash landing cheese or nerd polers can't get the best loot without doing at least half the POI to find the code first.

...as long as there IS a way, there's no argument against this.

honestly, you should also have a statless tree for things everyone would use, and not pigeon hole them up stats with the exception of combat types.

every build needs mining, period

every build needs cooking

every build needs tools

these should be statless. the rest belong where they are for the most part because they fit in with their stat, and each stat has its combat type. and this is thinking clearly

YES! This is exactly my thinking! All basic survival skills should be together, then you spec in whatever combat combination you want.

Loc

Did you put customized fittings in your LIGHT armor?

The silencer could use some love imo as well at least with the pistol. shooting with silencer still attracts surrounding zed's, unless you shoot from afar (about 3 car lengths). Not great for the ones around corners or up 3 blocks in the ceiling in masses (5+ zeds up there).

Steel armor is easier tbh. I think we should remove military fiber its like having to find a second set of parts just to craft light armor. Its one of those moving targets that is hard to nail. Maybe when bandits get in the game they drop armor and then we're swimming in it.

Military fiber or military armor? How would you expect to make MA without a resource? Personally I think military armor should be more rare and special since it has the weight, movement and noise characteristics of light armor but comparable AC to heavy armor, but I really hope you do not chose to remove it completely....

A legendary amount :playful:

Seriously though, please be careful with the way you implement legendary items into the game. One thing that killed loot in Diablo 3 is the legendary items became boring best-in-slot items. I think if you have an item that gives awesome buffs/extra abilities/etc., it should come with a trade off of something negative to give a risk/reward type of thing going on. Add on top of it items that have synergies with other items and you could have something good.

Loc

It will either have a postitive or negative or be just a bit better than a purple.

My first mission

I started out on my first level one mission from Joe the Trader.

I wanted something easy so I found the closest mission. Less than two hundred meters, This will be both easy and fast, no problem.

Big problem. I cabin was on the other side of the mountain range. Geez's!

Well I could ether go around and spend the night out in the woods (late in the day). Or I could go over them. I love path-finding so I found a way to go over the range. It took some doing but I got though in good time.

The mission was a simple go fetch Cabin 10. I look at it and it looks simple enough, like a one room deal. HA! I go in and find it loaded with passageways. I spent a good amount of time clearing it and gaining a crap-ton of loot. I find the quest item but now the zombies are knocking at the door, no they got through the front door and were banding at the wall which was the only thing between me and it.

While this zombie was aggressive, it wasn't very smart, I just went around through a hole and (walked) right past it LOL. I could not run because I was loaded down with loot you see. :)

The dumb thing was still bashing on the wall but finally came after me but I was already gone.

One thing that I need to remember is to make a drop box or something to drop my loot into before going back to the trader. Otherwise my reward just sits on the traders counter, getting ready to de-spawn. I got that done and was back at my camp before nightfall.

One tip. When fighting with a spear, kiting works, strafing and kiting works better.

I tend to toss a couple items on the floor that I don't care if I lose like some leather or animal fat, because one time I tossed my items on the counter and they fell behind it and I couldn't get them back.

MM I have a huge QOL request: can everyone in the party pick up workstations, traps, etc? Right now, only the party member who placed the claim block can pick up these items. I’m the intelligence guy, making traps and putting up electric fences. If I make a mistake or change my mind on placement I then have to track down the claim block person to pick stuff up for me. If you can place stuff, you should be able to pick it up. Thanks.

WE talked about adding some claim privileges at some point.

I feel like the current purples are too cheap at like 8k, but balancing weapon prices is tough because the more pricey I make them the higher you can sell the other ones for.

Not necessarily.. at least i don't think so.. think of the trader, you sell items to him and if you were to try to buy it back the prices is like 10 times the cost.. sell something for 2k, trader will sell it back to you for 20k or there about. so couldnt the reverse be done. while trader may have item for 8k, if you make it and try to sell it, he'll buy it for 10 times less (or there abouts).

As far as the purples at the trader go, i agree, they are very cheap for what they are (which, for the time being, are end game gear)

I view it this way, and had to do this play through actually, I wanted a motorcycle, I saw it for sale for 20k the first day i visited the trader. Of course I didnt have the cash. When I did have the cash, the RNG god was playing against me and the motorcycle was not for sale in the trader, so it forced me to find more traders, and when that didnt work I had to wait for the next trader restock.

@Madmole

There is a mod that adds a rare chance to find a damaged complete bike in a dumpster... I think that would make a great addition to vanilla, so early game doing quests is even easier.

Also, when you look at improving the hill climbing of the motorcycle, also look at the headlights...they are really dim.

They are in its vehicle xml entry, and bumping the brightness up to 2.5 or 3 looks a lot more realistic without being overblown. ( That makes them about as bright as the lantern, I think.)

So any planned day for another exp update?

Tomorrow.

We're talking about codes hidden in the houses to unlock the super chest, or on a boss, so crash landing cheese or nerd polers can't get the best loot without doing at least half the POI to find the code first.

This ONLY works if you make their respective containers unbreakable (or near unbreakable) at the very least.

This is also where the lockpick skill (and the 'quality of lockpick' system I mentioned in an earlier post) could really come into it's own.

edit: Or make it so that smashing your way into a chest could potentially land you with a random bunch of broken items

Could be, but if so we've got 6 or 7 people with bad luck overall. So far on Day 24 we've gotten a random piece here or there and maybe four military armor parts. I got two (crappy Rank 1) drops for military gloves last night that let me make some Tier 3 armor with the other parts we had, but given the volume of looting we've done, I would've expected a touch more. Even with the military bases.

I want to do some specific bag drops in the future. So IF a zed drops loot, its customized a bit. So soldiers can drop armor, nurses drop meds, etc, more like it used to be but some good stuff and not crap.

If military armor is the best in the game then I can see a point in military fibers if not, then yeah mil fiber is not needed. If mil armor is the best of the best then having to go through the hassle of finding mil fibers seems worth it.

It could be redone into a legendary item when the time comes.

Loc

I want to do some specific bag drops in the future. So IF a zed drops loot, its customized a bit. So soldiers can drop armor, nurses drop meds, etc, more like it used to be but some good stuff and not crap.

raw

- - - Updated - - -

Rule #1 using LCB on a PVP server is a surefire way to get raided....

oh of course that goes without saying, only noobs use lcb at the main base on pvp servers. lcb are only used when your not trying to keep the base hidden, pvp survival 101. ;)

Military fiber or military armor? How would you expect to make MA without a resource? Personally I think military armor should be more rare and special since it has the weight, movement and noise characteristics of light armor but comparable AC to heavy armor, but I really hope you do not chose to remove it completely....

I agree. Killing Military Armor (unless you make another type, or incorporate the military armors stats into the highest tier light armor) makes sense right now.. its the bridge between light and heavy. Its MY (not sure about others) go to armor for stealth play.

I like the island RWG better than radiated border (and I find 'invisible wall' idea awful).

I like it better too... I just think that it doesn't fit the game well. I mean, are we in Arizona or not?

If not, you can justify a lot of the discrepancies. You can justify even more by making a couple other maps other than Navezgane.

What I dislike about both the water and the radiation is that in both cases, you end up with an unnaturally square plot of land to navigate.

What I would rather have, you know Pimp Dreams as usual, are larger maps but where the playable area is basically the same in terms of square meter area. The playable area would be a randomly shaped blob and since the map is large enough, the unplayable area would just be terrain only that appears to go on forever., but really doesn't. There need not be any POIs or anything in the unplayable area. Let RNG decide which sides are coastlines and which sides block you in with radiation. The radiation nearest the playable area is weak (so you can actually get out before dying), but it gets increasingly powerful the deeper you go... more powerful than any possible anti-radiation mechanisms that might come to the game in the future.

No they should leave you alone unless injured or blood moon.

I like the suspense of not knowing if they really are going to attack you or not. Just making them attack if you are injured or during horde night, kind of takes that away imo. So, since it's a bug and not a feature.. How about leaving that one in? pls.

Archived