Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Its kinda driving me crazy that a lvl 1 item can't hold any mods and a lvl 6 item can hold 5. Can it be changed so a lvl 1 item holds 1 mod and a lvl 6 item holds 6 mods? I think that makes more sense to me.
Faulty items now hold one mod, and legendary hold 6.

Any rumblings of A17.3? Need that new RWG asap.

We've been hoping to get it out, but RWG had some bugs crop up that needed to be fixed. Now the good news, or amazing news is that Robert was able to use the GPU to do some of the work generating terrain and reduced it from 30 minutes to 1 minute (for the terrain and biome info) on an 8k map. If it takes much longer you'll probably see a 17.3 drop without RWG changes with that delayed until 17.4+.

We're experimenting with procedural splat maps so that might solve some A18 rwg issues we were going to deal with.

It was mentioned earlier, but I would like to see if it is confirmed or not.

In A18 will item quality also drive damage? Or will it only drive durability, like it does now?

No that probably won't happen. Mods are enough damage inflation along with the perks adding damage now instead of the attribute. This is going to play great, just because your good at perception doesn't give you max damage with every perk it governs now, only the ones you spec into.

We've been hoping to get it out, but RWG had some bugs crop up that needed to be fixed. Now the good news, or amazing news is that Robert was able to use the GPU to do some of the work generating terrain and reduced it from 30 minutes to 1 minute (for the terrain and biome info) on an 8k map. If it takes much longer you'll probably see a 17.3 drop without RWG changes with that delayed until 17.4+.

We're experimenting with procedural splat maps so that might solve some A18 rwg issues we were going to deal with.

Thanks for the update, sounds promising.

flat roads and less wasteland are what my taxes are going towards!

It was mentioned earlier, but I would like to see if it is confirmed or not.

In A18 will item quality also drive damage? Or will it only drive durability, like it does now?

Quality does drive damage via mod slots and now with an additional mod slot coming they will all be even more damaging.

Shot it the dark here:

What if quality ranges, besides determining Mod slots and durability, determined stat ranges?

Examples-

Lvl 1 Random Roll Pistol Stats:

Ranged Damage 22-32

Magazine Size 8-15

Rounds/Minute 120-180

Effective Range 12-18

Recoil 12-8

Weapon Handling -12% to -5%

Max Durability 450 - 3,000

Then the higher the rating the more the minimum stat modifier increases so that a lvl 6 pistol looks like this

Lvl 6 Random Roll Pistol Stats:

Ranged Damage 28-32

Magazine Size 13-15

Rounds/Minute 168-180

Effective Range 16-18

Recoil 9-8

Weapon Handling -7% to -5%

Max Durability 2,850 - 3,000

This would always have you hunting for that perfect gun and adds another layer to the loot game.

This would probably wouldn't be feasible now, but maybe the next game?

- - - Updated - - -

Loving the books, keep em coming

Shot it the dark here:

What if quality ranges, besides determining Mod slots and durability, determined stat ranges?

Examples-

Lvl 1 Random Roll Pistol Stats: Ranged Damage 22-32

Magazine Size 8-15

Rounds/Minute 120-180

Effective Range 12-18

Recoil 12-8

Weapon Handling -12% to -5%

Max Durability 450 - 3,000

I would love this, for the exact reason you stated. It would keep me addicted to looking for that perfect weapon/combo. I mean, think Borderlands... if all I needed was a single sniper rifle, why have loot? Always looking for that one that is just a little better... was fun. =)

Random stat ranges with weapons , especially firearms would be nice...as it would give the illusion of many different types of "pistol" "shotgun" etc without getting specific and having many different name brands and models...it is what I used to do back in elementary-high school when making lower memory RPG games

Shot it the dark here:

I think it was said that this is the plan for legendary weapons. But I wouldn't mind if it pertained to all weapon qualities.

No that probably won't happen. Mods are enough damage inflation along with the perks adding damage now instead of the attribute. This is going to play great, just because your good at perception doesn't give you max damage with every perk it governs now, only the ones you spec into.

I'm not sure about this. It`s an uncommon design choice. I've played 17.2 and I must say not having better damage each level of quality feels off. After many hours into a17 it still feels off. The weapon gets durability with quality, yeah, but that isn't nearly enough to get a good and easy to communicate "feeling" about the weapon of choice.

I'm not digging mods for that explanation., and lots of people aren't. Mods are a plus, a good addition to the weapon/armor. But at the end of the day, Mods are not the essence of that weapon/armor. It feels off.

To prevent this confusing "feeling" I suggest a placebo: Make less powerful the grey quality weapon/armor and gradualy up the damage/def value until its current (a17.2) one for the purple quality items.

That way it feels and plays good. Just my two cents.

30 minutes? Eww! One minute? Niiiiiiice. I'm wondering if this means 32k maps will become a possibility? Or at least 16k?

Totally stoked to playtest 17.3. Loving all the new teases.

3Ot2EUx.jpg.0de36709a5c08a414fab664fa8234bfe.jpg

Sir, you are saving lives here. Lives and brain cells.

I know you guys are not planning any more big things to add but for would it be feasible to add an option to call a Supply drop on demand?

Idea: A craftable item/bench that player can trigger an airdrop by consuming a lot of power and materials.

Implementation: it can be a workbench like a forge that "smelts" materials like plastics electronics, mechanical components and once you have certain amount of each, lets you craft a trigger-able item to call a plane.

This device instead of using burnable materials would be powered by a generator and consume a lot of power, draining generator fast.

One can take the forge, enable electricity cost to power it, substitute materials smelted into high end ones, remove all old recipes and add 1 recipe for calling a plane drop. Lastly, change the graphic of the forge to something resembling an antenna?

"Farming Supply Drops"

Sir, you are saving lives here. Lives and brain cells.

I know you guys are not planning any more big things to add but for would it be feasible to add an option to call a Supply drop on demand?

Idea: A craftable item/bench that player can trigger an airdrop by consuming a lot of power and materials.

Implementation: it can be a workbench like a forge that "smelts" materials like plastics electronics, mechanical components and once you have certain amount of each, lets you craft a trigger-able item to call a plane.

This device instead of using burnable materials would be powered by a generator and consume a lot of power, draining generator fast.

One can take the forge, enable electricity cost to power it, substitute materials smelted into high end ones, remove all old recipes and add 1 recipe for calling a plane drop. Lastly, change the graphic of the forge to something resembling an antenna?

"Farming Supply Drops"

Rust has smoke grenades that signal air drops. Always a frightening moment wondering if other players will come to fight you for it. I'd never make something like the craftable though.

Okay, that's quite impressive and the best news I've heard on the RWG front for a while. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Flat roads would mean a flat world for the most part, no thanks.

Wouldn't the same also apply to flat rivers?

Archived