I've been having a blast!

apostrophe

Hi all.

I asked around over at r/survivalgaming which game would be best for a solo focused gameplay, you know, PvE elements and such, and 7DTD was recommended. Christmas sales on Steam offered it for a bargain so I bought it. Ark and The Forest also caught my eye, but I ignored them.

Boy what a fun game. What I like about it the most is how simple and robust its core is: you can scrap almost everything that you find to its core resources and you can break anything (any block) you see on the map. I get such a hard-on when I'm looting an abandoned house and that fortified iron door can be simply circumvented by chopping down the wall next to it. I also find amazing how easily you can interact and mutate the environment around you: build stairs to climb buildings or climb out of holes; dig to your heart's content; readily replace the door to your newfound shelter. My previous survival game was Rust, and building and crafting are certainly more strict there than here.

Plus the PvE! Zombies are of course outdated, they were novel back in 2010, but they make a good enemy in the wasteland that is the game (a randomly generated wasteland I must say, I love that!). The thought of the clockwork blood moon oppresses you in your daily routine, driving you to do your best every day, in whatever you've focused to do. Today (day 28) will be the second blood moon I'll be surviving in a ample wood house I found, and it's delicious to plan what and where I should build and prepare.

Anyway, I decided to post this as it seems the newest version has been gathering some hate. Keep it up, pimps!

Literally nothing you wrote about is related to the newest version, all previous versions had it. You should first try them out before glorifying the current update. I'm not saying A17 is objectively bad or something, but it seems to me you've only played this version.

Literally nothing you wrote about is related to the newest version, all previous versions had it. You should first try them out before glorifying the current update. I'm not saying A17 is objectively bad or something, but it seems to me you've only played this version.

Yeah, new players don't understand your suffering : they just enjoy the game as it is. Shame on them.

Welcome Apostrophe, nice to read your review ;)

Hi all.

I asked around over at r/survivalgaming which game would be best for a solo focused gameplay, you know, PvE elements and such, and 7DTD was recommended. Christmas sales on Steam offered it for a bargain so I bought it. Ark and The Forest also caught my eye, but I ignored them.

Boy what a fun game. What I like about it the most is how simple and robust its core is: you can scrap almost everything that you find to its core resources and you can break anything (any block) you see on the map. I get such a hard-on when I'm looting an abandoned house and that fortified iron door can be simply circumvented by chopping down the wall next to it. I also find amazing how easily you can interact and mutate the environment around you: build stairs to climb buildings or climb out of holes; dig to your heart's content; readily replace the door to your newfound shelter. My previous survival game was Rust, and building and crafting are certainly more strict there than here.

Plus the PvE! Zombies are of course outdated, they were novel back in 2010, but they make a good enemy in the wasteland that is the game (a randomly generated wasteland I must say, I love that!). The thought of the clockwork blood moon oppresses you in your daily routine, driving you to do your best every day, in whatever you've focused to do. Today (day 28) will be the second blood moon I'll be surviving in a ample wood house I found, and it's delicious to plan what and where I should build and prepare.

Anyway, I decided to post this as it seems the newest version has been gathering some hate. Keep it up, pimps!

You made the right choice. This game is way better than Ark & The Forest - I have them both, so I can say that objectively. I also believe that 7DtD is only going to get better. There have been some very polarising decisions made by the devs in this Alpha, but they listen to their community and really care about their game. This is a labour of love.

You made the right choice. This game is way better than Ark & The Forest - I have them both, so I can say that objectively.

Please, do elaborate on them both compared to 7DTD. I'm not a survival game buff, but the differences between them fascinate me. If you will, also add Rust to the mix of your opinion.

Yes I've only played this version and I'm perfectly fine with it.

I tried a few other survival games like Forrest, Mist, Conan and none could hold my interest more than 30 min or so. Have not had any desire to fire any of them back up.

I just can't vocalize my thoughts as to why but I think it has to do with the voxel world 7dtd has and the zombie/apocalypse genre that I love.

None of those other games have ruined cities to explore, at least none that I saw in my limited time.

Please, do elaborate on them both compared to 7DTD. I'm not a survival game buff, but the differences between them fascinate me. If you will, also add Rust to the mix of your opinion.

I can't really comment on Rust because I don't own it. It seems very PvP heavy which is not my style. I also get annoyed when a game picks a random look for me and doesn't allow me to change it. The technology is there to have a character creator, but for some reason, they don't think immersion is important.

That's one of the reasons I don't like The Forest - you can't change how your character looks. As a woman, I don't want to play as some Indian looking guy with a paedo-stache. So right from the get-go, it annoyed me. The building mechanic isn't as good as 7DtD. The cannibals were a bit OP for single player.

I have over 2500 hours in Ark so I'm not going to tell you it's a bad game, but it is a very buggy game. It's the only game I've ever rage quit in because I've died and lost dinos in that game more times to bugs than my own stupidity, and that angers me. The building mechanic is also really rage-inducing when it shows something is going to place one way and then places another way. With the right friends, it can be a lot of fun. The taming of dinos and being able to fly around beautiful areas can be thrilling, but for me the game lacks NPCs. 7DTD has zombies which are fun to kill, but I don't find it fun to kill dinos. To me they are just scaly animals, and I love animals too much to derive enjoyment from killing them. People on the other hand...would love to kill NPCs.

I can throw Conan Exiles in the mix too. It's more beautiful than Ark with a good building mechanic, but still not as great as 7DtD.

I tried a few other survival games like Forrest, Mist, Conan and none could hold my interest more than 30 min or so. Have not had any desire to fire any of them back up.

I just can't vocalize my thoughts as to why but I think it has to do with the voxel world 7dtd has and the zombie/apocalypse genre that I love.

None of those other games have ruined cities to explore, at least none that I saw in my limited time.

* Forrest is not that bad i think (But nothing for more than 100 Hours)

* SCUM is very early ea and PVPVE, but can make real fun

* Raft is nice if you want something more Peacefull (well most time) its more hollydays with sharks

* Empyrion is nice because you can build spaceships (and on that topic bettr than 7D2D) but the enemys are a joke (on foot too hard in a Vehicle far too easy)

* ₣₳ⱠⱠطɄ₮ 4 ł₴ ₥₳Ɏ฿Ɇ ₳ ฿ł₮ ฿Ʉ₲₲Ɏ

* The long Dark is hard but feels like "Battle the bars"

Here a list of all Survival alike games i am aware of

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/real-survival-games/discussions/0/3374780959379651478/

I enjoy the heck out of 7D2D, including A17. Over 2000 hours played since Dec 2016. Here are some other good single player survival games I also play(ed) last 1.5 years:

Subnautica - killer good game, but zero replay value.

The Long Dark - Wow, this is true survival. Very difficult game. Has a lot of replay value. Great atmosphere.

RimWorld - Ah, the frustrations. The struggle to survive is very real. The stories to be told. 7D2D and Rimworld are a lot a like in that both games make no pretense about wanting to kill you, unfairly and without compassion.

Rimworld is definitely a survival game. The interface is not FPS like 7DTD, rather it is top-down style (RTS like, but its not a RTS) where you control multiple survivors(colonists/pawns). The "real time" can be paused, and pausing is actually a must part of planning/building your base. Unlike 7DTD and lot of the other survival games mentioned, Rimworld is not about survival of 1 person but a group of people(the colony).

Sucky graphics, but the gameplay is very good. Look at the reviews and average review score on steam. Each game you play will have e drama, wtf and desperations moments to survive. You will sacrifice your people to allow other people to survive. Amputate limbs to save a life.

I played over 550 hours since October and sadly still have not "beat" the game(made it off the planet). I do play hard level in almost all the games I play though. The frustrations are not for the weak of heart.

* Forrest is not that bad i think (But nothing for more than 100 Hours)

* SCUM is very early ea and PVPVE, but can make real fun

* Raft is nice if you want something more Peacefull (well most time) its more hollydays with sharks

* Empyrion is nice because you can build spaceships (and on that topic bettr than 7D2D) but the enemys are a joke (on foot too hard in a Vehicle far too easy)

* ₣₳ⱠⱠطɄ₮ 4 ł₴ ₥₳Ɏ฿Ɇ ₳ ฿ł₮ ฿Ʉ₲₲Ɏ

* The long Dark is hard but feels like "Battle the bars"

Here a list of all Survival alike games i am aware of

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/real-survival-games/discussions/0/3374780959379651478/

I love Fallout 4. I forgot about it's survival mode.

The game has basic features that you simply don't find elsewhere. There's a conceptual elegance to it, I say.

One thing I hate though is the snail-like walking speed. It feels like your feet are glued!

Funny that you mention that. It's probably partly for balancing reasons especially considering the number of transportation options there are in game.

Hi all.

You've exactly described what makes 7d2d the best survival out there. There's others with better combat, story, pvp, graphics, and otehr tnhings. But having a 100% destructible world, where everything gives you back some useful material, where you can build almost anything and at the same time it has uses (unlike minecraft for example)... And at the same time is PvE focused unlike most modern survival games.... Jackpot

Hi all.

There are other great survival games out there. My top 3 are 7dtd, the forest and empyrion. There are other great ones too, like subsistence, hold your own and mist, just to name a few.

The thing 7 days does better than any other is the need to defend your base against creditable npc threats. It really sets it apart.

Make sure you thank whoever told you about 7 days to die. They did you a solid lol.

In Empyrion the only thing it has going for it is being able to build your own spaceships and fly them. That is a lot of fun. I must have at least 10 workshop items for this alone. Everything else about the game is really bad in my opinion. The graphics are horrible, the way the voxels behave is unsatisfying. Terrible interface. Aliens that don't respawn means multiplayer PvE is effectively dead about 2 weeks into a server life. I would still recommend the game, just for the spaceships though. Hella fun.

Subnautica - killer good game, but zero replay value.

I'm about a third way into this game and enjoying it, but I can already see that I wouldn't replay it, whereas 7DtD, I can start over and over.

Archived