Ramp looping exploit gone in A17.1?

Jan2607

For Day 7 horde I build a base as I did in 17.0: A small tower with a ramp and wooden bars, so the zombies can't jump on my platform. So I waited for the zombies to do their looping thing: Running up the ramp, falling down, climbing it again, falling down again. As they did in the previous build. But most of them didn't do that, they destroyed half of my base.

I suspect, TFP changed the AI?

How I am supposed to build a base now? You can't place blocks, because they smash it in a few seconds. So no tower defence anymore? Now doing the minibike gun and drive away thing at horde night?

The only way I knew to deal with the block breaking zombies was said AI exploit, but since this is gone now, there seems to be no point in building anything to me. And on day 7 I really haven't time and materials to place 200 wood spikes around my base.

Besides this, I doubt trap kills give you XP now, so the whole trap thing is something I don't want to use...

Did you build a new base in A17.1 yet?

But most of them didn't do that, they destroyed half of my base.

How I am supposed to build a base now?

Did you build a new base in A17.1 yet?

tenor.gif?itemid=3989628

Its still possible, but you need some ... tests

(Make enough blocks and cobblestones and save at day 7 midday with the Core base build but no Defense. So you can test)

My defense from 17.0 works in A17.1

In the release notes of A17.1:

* AI will do destroy area 60% on a fall after unreachable side path

I read this as specifically what leads to what you're stating. Their Area Destroy seems to be ticked up a bit if I read this right by added logic perhaps. I think they may have been trying to kill the climb loop. Which, really goes with the whole Area Destroy mode they've talked about in the A17 build overall. I don't think they want the zombies stuck in such a loop.

Yep, guess the only defence that might work now, is a huge solid block of concrete with too many hitpoints for them to break all the way through.

A combination of different things should work at best

* A core building so strong as possible

* Sourrounded by Spikes and barbwire to slow down zombies and damage them

* A Ramp/maze that slows down the zombies and allow to kill them manually (melee/shooting/molotovs)

* Arround this ramp again barbwire and spikes to damage them and slow them down

Besides that my rampo still works (at least in the testage, i played my B240 7th day game further and jumped to day 14)

How good my next B8 defense work we will see

yeah i should do that, copy my save game out, test my base by jumping forward to horde night and see what happens - i really liked the ramp loop though, i had it all combined really nicely with barbed wire, electric fences passing through there as well, and blade traps at the bottom where they fall down, that will probably still work as it did destroy anything that i missed and hence fell down. But earlier game, before blade traps are viable, I'm not sure how they will work.

I'll try a test on mine without the blade traps activated and see what they do, as some will most definitely fall down on the gamestage I'm at.

In terms of your first 2 though, that's what I was doing before the ramp idea came about, a seperate horde base that didn't have anything in it - a big fat pillar, 7x7x5 of solid concrete, surrounded by spikes and barbed wire, and me on top in a cage - it works and it sounds to me like that's what TFP want us building.

The tunnel idea filled with traps isn't going to work anymore, because as soon as a spike breaks they will drop 1 block and want to destroy everything, so the only thing that might out of your suggestion, is a crappy maze just filled with side mounted barb wire so they can't fall.

Dear devs can you please mak a a nicer looking ramp and then a 10h Video i can run as endless slope as Desktop background ?

Maybe with the femal zombies as they looked before they became zombies ?

The devs didn't make that video, i did. Just as a proof of concept. A little bird told me

Fataal wanted videos.

Testing complete, they wrecked the ramp.

Interestingly they were coming from all around as well now, they started off coming from one location, then midway through they changed from another location, and near the end they changed again.

Another thing I noticed is that falling counts even if it's because you shot them and they went flying backwards but didn't die - they went into destruct mode from that as well.

its quite simple to build a pillar base that holds up to any horde, use 50 columns/pillars (smaller hitbox and harder for zeds to hide behind/break los, and have them at-least 3 blocks apart, and have many of them. use metal for the top part so when pillars get broken the metal topside can handle the increased structural load. since metal has the highest ratio of mass to strength/stability glue.

i strongly recommend 6 or blocks higher for the columns, before you start building your walkway/decking.

You need to put down some spikes, but the biggest help is barb wire, to slow them down so you can put arrows in their heads from above.

you can use wooden bars to start with and upgrade tehm to metal using forged iron as you get it.

you just need to make sure that your structure is redundantly load bearing, and capable of handling the loss of some columns. so take a good look at mass/load capacity on your blocks, you can check them all out in the creative menu easily if you're unsure.

not once have i used a AI exploit base and i have easily survived every single horde the game has thrown at me ...radiated feral's etc etc, and i only play on above normal difficulties. no block dmg reduction crap. or lame pathing exploits.

if you don't want to build one just find the bank POI in game, knock out the glass ceiling, replace it with wooden bars to shoot through, add a few more 50 columns/poles on the inside and use it. just get on the roof on horde night and watch out for vultures if you dont build a bird cage on the roof.

leave off the bottom 2-3 rungs on the ladder up, and make sure to put a hatch on the top, but make the ladder go one block higher then the roof and surround the top few ladder rungs with wood bars, if you see any zeds that somehow make it up the ladder you can shoot through the bars and kill them easily with headshots. A17.0_2018-12-19_00-58-04.thumb.jpg.cdb9d78766fe1cc94326e0b0b9e621ae.jpg

some old screenshots of it right after i imported it to a new world (was sick of rebuilding during the rapid experimental updates), before i put spikes/defenses down, ive long since moved on, to a stronger but much more expensive steel base.

you can start with teh first story and expand on up as needed, but i usually dont start on a real base until day 10 when ive saved up enough materials to rapidly build it in one go.

Near the bottom of the images, you can see i imported it to the prefab editor, and tested it for stability, after the hordes i spawned in wouldn't bring it down, i took the dev tools and shot it to hell and it still stayed up with only the central ladder column holding the whole building up, it work exactly as i calculated it would.

https://imgur.com/a/C01zmUn

This base is made of IRON, not steel.

I painted it to the stage 1 iron so it would be a bit brighter than the Reinforced Iron.

You ask how can i get so much iron?... well go mining like SO.... https://imgur.com/a/h8pAxjk

Those are Some images of a few hours mining at night and of my unfinished forge room, before the 2 workbenches and 2 chemistry stations were added in. The forges are encased in reinforced concrete, and underneath the LVL 3 Vault Hatches.

That room is deep underground, with the entrance about 100 meters away from the tower, where i could easily overlook and shoot/kill screamers that got near the entrance..... (the ones that didnt die from the spikes placed above ground over the forge room)

I can try to go mess with it in the prefab editor and see if i could get it available for you to play with.

i also have the newer and far stronger but smaller base available as a prefab.... i really like the design of it, i used more curves and angles, to get a very neat design, but i dont think the electrical wiring would export as a prefab. (it started as Reinforced concrete, then upgraded to steel over time)

You had me scared! I don't use ramps; I use ladders, redundancy (16 ways to get to me), and longitudinal electric fence (not in layers) . But still...a little bit of fall damage. I am pleased to report, that with a small addition, my Zombie Circus Fashion Show long term base still works perfectly, thank goodness, on hordes.

The addition was a protected bit of electric fence where they fall. It kinda took the fight out of 'em :) That's what you call negative feedback!

And yes, it's a permabase without blade traps or turrets (except for those pointed at the sky for stupid birds). There are spikes on the ground in a few areas where I don't want the zombies to run, but those are really for doggie chew toys. There are none against the building during horde nights.

Now watch them take that away, too :)

Archived