A17 Tower Defence?

Brykx

From what I've read about the new AI in a17 zombies are taking the way of least resistance etc., which makes me wonder how path lenght, turrets etc. are taking into account and if a kind of tower defence base layout will be possible.

Will something like this "work"?

towerdefencemwdaq.jpg.39fd39fa335f965e84b2b8ffb9917897.jpg

Better AI does not stop tactics. It only invalidates cheesy exploits. =P

What if every single one of the black squares were plain and simple one hit pieces of glass windows? Does that count as an exploit, a cheesy exploit or a glassy exploit?

1) I was thinking of having a drop to near bedrock (to kill off the weak zeds)

2) Then a run across 10 rows of log spikes (to kill off the medium strength zeds)

3) Then the base is 7x7 with the corners being steel. Behind each wall are three shotgun turrets that will fire, point blank, at the (now) weaken radiated zeds that manage to break a wall block.

This should save a lot of ammo not being wasted on the weak and medium strength zombies and give the shotgun turrets max damage per shot on only the strongest remaining ones.

Note: I might need a 9x9 fort so turret fire can cover the entire wall better.

I was inspired by that design and did fair bit of testing. If you can get zombies funneled into the tunnel, they are dead. What I did was:

1) tunnel was 38 blocks long and 2 wide(25 feral soldiers couldn't fit in and started flailing at the entrance)

2) floor had one layer of steel spikes and on top of that layer of water to slow them down

That was more than enough to handle normal ferals and normal polices. If you want some action, you can create "custom arrow slit" by placing backwards wedge tip and upside down ramp on the wall. This does protect from polices spit until they are very close.

If that wasn't enough, 3) turrets make this complete overkill.

I was inspired by that design and did fair bit of testing. If you can get zombies funneled into the tunnel, they are dead. What I did was:

1) tunnel was 38 blocks long and 2 wide(25 feral soldiers couldn't fit in and started flailing at the entrance)

2) floor had one layer of steel spikes and on top of that layer of water to slow them down

That was more than enough to handle normal ferals and normal polices. If you want some action, you can create "custom arrow slit" by placing backwards wedge tip and upside down ramp on the wall. This does protect from polices spit until they are very close.

If that wasn't enough, 3) turrets make this complete overkill.

I like the water idea, I didn't know they were slowed by water.

But the tunnel might be too long and encourage the zeds to dig down and not go down the pits and down the spike tunnel. I think its best to have all your defenses within the night horde spawn distance range.

I'm guessing tunnels longer than 15 meters to your fort would be too long. Unless you build a trench to bedrock completely around your base? A lot of work (or TNT!) to do it.

How about a "Double Decker" tunnel?

Lower level - At bedrock, Easily accessible to zeds, has spikes.

Upper level - Player shoots and drops explosives on zeds. Only accessible from players fort(s).

Or every 500 meters you have a fort where you can only access the forts from a draw bridge so if one fort is over run with zombies, they still cant get to the upper deck of the tunnel. Every 40 (my guess) meters you have a pit fall to the lower level to help zombies get to you. :)

Which leads to a "stage two" grid of forts where each fort is connected to four other forts! The forts can be very small, just strong enough to get to the surface in safety. Then, you are pretty much perfectly safe from night hoards (by Day 534). :)

From what I've read about the new AI in a17 zombies are taking the way of least resistance etc., which makes me wonder how path lenght, turrets etc. are taking into account and if a kind of tower defence base layout will be possible.

Will something like this "work"?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25254[/ATTACH]

Perhaps one more door with a 1 - 2 block gap between. And a turret covering that gap from above.

Is there any evidence that a normal fight cage has been invalidated? Is the whole "trap field" thing a necessity now, or does a normal "ring around the base with an overhang, and rows of steel spikes outside of that" still normal?

Zombies aren't learning to jump gaps, right?

Is there any evidence that a normal fight cage has been invalidated? Is the whole "trap field" thing a necessity now, or does a normal "ring around the base with an overhang, and rows of steel spikes outside of that" still normal?

Zombies aren't learning to jump gaps, right?

Lots we'll have to learn on the fly.

I'm wondering about my tried and true design and if it'll even need to be adjusted.

And about jumping..... yeesh I hope not! Although.... that would be fun!

As long as the player(s) are part of calculating the path of least resistance, the ability to move in three dimensions within a base is likely to have as much impact as fixed physical defenses. I think building defenses in such a way that players can draw zeds away from weakened sections is going to be critical. If the new AI is smart enough to realize that "I could follow that meat sack down the wall, but if I keep beating this section I can get past the whole wall", we are toast.

The iron bar around a small tower will still work. Unless they got so strong in A17 that you don´t even wanna try to kill them without having at least a shotgun. And that would make early game pretty much impossible.

And tbh, if cheesing and laming is not wanted, why did they jump on the zombie hypetrain and didn´t use other enemies?

I expect beeing able to outsmart those few this game calls a "horde" as they are zombies.

Or give us real hordes. Like hundreds. (No more special Z´s then ofc)

Archived