Attributes  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Attributes

• Strength
    • Perception
    • Intellect
    • Fortitude
    • Agility

We've now seen videos on the five attributes for building characters in Alpha 17, and the perks that go with each one. I thought it'd be fun to distill people's thoughts into a simple poll pitting these five attributes against each other.

Really, you can answer whatever version of the question appeals to you. Which attribute has the most important perks for your playstyle? Which attribute has the most coveted perks? Which attribute is most critical to success? Which attribute will get your points first? Which attribute will you max out first?

In short, which attribute 'wins'?

Here's an overview of all the attributes and perks as shown in the videos. Click on a link to see the video for that attribute.

[table=width: 780, class: outer_border, align: center]

[tr]

[td]

[/td]

[td]

[/td]

[td]

[/td]

[td]

[/td]

[td]

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

-MELEE-

[/td]

[td]

-MARKSMANSHIP-

[/td]

[td]

-INFLUENCE-

[/td]

[td]

-SURVIVAL-

[/td]

[td]

-ATHLETICS-

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Wrecking Crew[/td]

[td]Gunslinger[/td]

[td]Better Barter[/td]

[td]Heavy Armor[/td]

[td]Rule 1: Cardio[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Sexual Tyrannosaurus[/td]

[td]Shotgun Messiah[/td]

[td]The Daring Adventurer[/td]

[td]Insult to Injury[/td]

[td]Light Armor[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Flurry of Blows[/td]

[td]Automatic Weapons[/td]

[td]Charismatic Nature[/td]

[td]Intrinsic Immunity[/td]

[td]Charging Bull[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

test[td]Deep Cuts[/td]test

[td]Dead Eye[/td]

[td]

-CRAFTSMANSHIP-

[/td]

[td]Well Insulated[/td]

[td]Fuel Efficient[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Stay Down![/td]

[td]Archery[/td]

[td]Hammer & Forge[/td]

[td]Living Off the Land[/td]

[td]Parkour[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Heavy Metal[/td]

[td]Explosive Weapons[/td]

[td]Grease Monkey[/td]

[td]Pain Tolerance[/td]

[td]Olympic Swimmer[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]

-CONSTRUCTION-

[/td]

[td]Boom! Headshot![/td]

[td]Advanced Engineering[/td]

[td]

-RECOVERY-

[/td]

[td]

-STEALTH-

[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Miner 69'er[/td]

[td]Run and Gun[/td]

[td]Yeah, Science![/td]

[td]Healing Factor[/td]

[td]Ninja Movement[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Do-It-Yourself[/td]

[td]

-SCAVENGING-

[/td]

[td]Physician[/td]

[td]Fully Hydrated[/td]

[td]Hidden Strike[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Pack Mule[/td]

[td]Lucky Looter[/td]

[td]Master Chef[/td]

[td]Slow Metabolism[/td]

[td]From the Shadows[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]Bountiful Harvest[/td]

[td]Salvage Operations[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[td]Self Medicated[/td]

[td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

For those of you reading this on mobile... Sorry! Go find a desktop.

I think I'll be most interested in the fortitude perks. Strength and perception are largely combat-related and/or perks we've seen before. I intend to do plenty of combat, but I'm happy to rely heavily on my personal player skill over perks, and there will likely be overlap with weapon mods. Intellect and agility have fewer perks at the time of this writing, and the way Roland tells it, survival will require more of a player's attention than before. I'm stoked about that, and I'll probably need some investment in fortitude to weather all the changes. I do like playing stealthily, though, and I'm sure I'll want to craft the advanced stuff soon enough, too.

Where is the "i don't want to watch 3 hours of madmole videos to attempt to understand this overly complicated system" button?

It’s right in that same place you stick your finger to fill up that jar you’ve got pictured. Careful not to live up to your name. ;)

Here's a "the thing" about the perks. You need them all for a proper game. So the one that "wins" for you is only the one that boosts the stats for the aspect that you like most. For me, that would be shooting pistols, with melee combat in 2nd place.

Where is the "i don't want to watch 3 hours of madmole videos to attempt to understand this overly complicated system" button?

THIS is a complicated system for you? Who is helping you with turning on the computer?

PS: Since I know from your other posts that your mental capacity is not THAT limited, my question is as serious as yours. :smile-new:

Intelligence is the most important one ...

* Without Hammer and Forge your *****, if you do not play nomad or build near a store with a working workbench etc.

* Physician because you can not make first aid bandages and plaster casts. So playing with a broken bone is a dead sentence without casts.

* Greece monkey for bikes and mini bike.

Let alone all the rest that you need to tier up. Faster damage or other buffs are only limited useful but they do not compensate the fast amount of items gate locked into intelligence.

Strength maybe as secondary for:

* miner69

* encumbrance ...

O look people are still going for a lot of the same game style and ignoring a lot of the buffs :)

Some combination of intellect/fortitude/agility. Without having played it, I don't know which one will win out. I don't think strength or perception are terribly important. They'll get a few points each, but I think most points will go in the other three attributes.

That said, I voted for intellect.

agi and end will be mostly irrelevant for a large part of the early and midgame unless they've changed the spawning algorythm.

You won't see many active Zeds as the game can't handle them (thanks to ''everything needs to look more pretty - oops that killed performance let's drop Zed numbers'')

Int gates tech, trade and cooking

Per gates loot, ranged dmg (early bow to endgame rifles)

Str is convenience in the form of block dmg and carry capacity without the movement snare (easily bypassed by vehicles (int) or a non issue due to better weapons (Per) )

and as for Agi and End ... unless Gazz went through with the difficulty rebalancing that was brought up roughly a year ago. Well Agi and End will just be dump stats who won't see much attention until the main 3 are maxed/raised as high as you want/need them.

Int will outlive its usefullness eventually... I doubt that people will rush to max it. Unless they've added new massive brass resources people simply won't have the brass to feed all those fancy turrets.

Str is well. Mining 69ner is just more block dmg on power attacks. Without the infrastructure to get consumeables for your stamina this one will basically be a trap for older alpha version players.

Especially when you can get the always active bountiful harvest instead. 50% chance of double the loot vs 50 % more block dmg - and only on power attacks. Pretty much a nobrainer if you ask me

Agi may have a higher spot if you play with specific rulesets (nobase or always run)

End I don't see the point other than increased harvest amounts - which can't be too extreme otherwise people will bitch again about '7 hours 2 starve' like they did during the early versions of the random gen and the issue related to deer/bunny spawns being capped accross all forests on the entire map. Everything else makes you tanky ... but what's the point if you barely ever get hit in the first place

Snip cuz textwall

You mentioned agi being the most useless stat, because one doesnt get hit.

I ask you now: ARE you certainly sure youre not gonna get caught offguard?

Z's will now be less buggy and more fluid. They will attack while walking and be intelligent regarding focuspriority so no nerdpoling 2 b safe

I was excited about the agility tree until it was revealed.

Basically, FORTITUDE tree is heavy armor tree and AGILITY is light armor tree. I know stuff is still changing but as of now it is totally unbalanced. (buying perks from one tree is cheaper...)

AGILITY gets stamina, speed, stealth

FORTITUDE gets damage resist, disease resist, weather resist, better harvest, stun resist, health regen, better eating, better drinking, better medicine

Right off the bat going with heavy armor has a an advantage.

Fortitude will be pretty high up for me, especally the Healing factor perk, if I understand it, it heals damaged hp (when the bar goes black in the videos) over time that normally you need first aid kits etc to heal. Might need some balance thou as 1.25 hp/s regen seems a bit high when max health is 200. Its defently one of the perks I'd raise to 3 asap. With its current 1.25 hp/s, and I think in a16 armor dmg reduction is capped at around 80% or so. from most zombies on nomad you'd only take 2 hp damage. So you could literally face tank stuff for quite some time. Again these are based on a16 values, not a17.

Here's a "the thing" about the perks. You need them all for a proper game. So the one that "wins" for you is only the one that boosts the stats for the aspect that you like most. For me, that would be shooting pistols, with melee combat in 2nd place.

I like fighting zombies too, but if they weapons kill decently fast without perks, I doubt i'll waste points in the melee/ranged perks. I am still annoyed that a17 doesn't seem to have any headshot multiplier without a perk from what I understand from the video, this may change though. At least I hope it does, because otherwise it'll be super easy killing things if all you need is bodyshots.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess without intellect tree you can't craft anything so: Intellect, the gate tree

Yeah, I kinda wish they'd do something else with the intel tree and make alot of those perk locked things into books. Kinda like A16.

exp boost was scraped again after some people brought arguments against it. You want to reconsider? :smile-new:

I've never been a fan of exp boosts in certan types of games, 7dtd being one of them, faster you level, faster you unlock things but also all the much faster you get bored. in A16 I am bored by lv 70 or so, as I have steel, and can't really find stuff in the world better than I can make, so I tend to quit at that point.

A base build would have you probally maxing all the base attributes, I kinda wish they raised by doing though. As if its just points, I can see many people going high into Intel and fortitude asap, as Int is the crafting stuff, and Fortitude has way to many useful things for survival. I'd personally move the one for drugs to intel. Its like the healing being in int makes sense: Would you want a smart doctor? or a stupid doctor to work on your wounds? The answer should be pretty simple. The Regen passive though is a great fit for fortitude.

You mentioned agi being the most useless stat, because one doesnt get hit.

I ask you now: ARE you certainly sure youre not gonna get caught offguard?

Z's will now be less buggy and more fluid. They will attack while walking and be intelligent regarding focuspriority so no nerdpoling 2 b safe

If I get caught off guard I ask myself the question

Do I want to have the means to fight my way out of the situation thanks to: Int (tech) Per (firepower) Str (melee dmg)

or would I rather have achance to ''maybe'' run away Agi (more stamina/less stamina drain) Whereas the maybe should be a capitol maybe imo Because running away may not always be an option. (location, difficulty settings)

in such a worst case sceanrio even End would be better to live through the situation by simply allowing me to tank more dmg.

As for the attack while walking. We've seen that much in madmole's videos. A17 Day 1 youtube clip. You can still go in for melee hits without getting hit. (which was quite ironic considering that he just backpedal_whack a mole killed a zombies before he talks about 'backpedal whack a mole isn't going to work anymore you have to take a hit to land a hit')

Not to mention that bows and xbows will become even more dominant now with reclaimable arrows/bolts and the cut on one of the major brass sources of the game

Archived