Whatever happened to...

wmdvanzyl

This is not me hating on the game. Genuinely just wondering if people know what happened to the following. All of these were mentioned by devs in posts and in videos. I left out behemoth, zip lines and gryo as we know those have been dropped or moved; and in the case of gyro, possibly dropped.

• Mini-game to defuse mines
  • Duke et al
  • Radiation zones that require rad suit.. supposed to be really dangerous
  • LCB that allows for "home management"
  • Don't forget lockpicking! (thx u/elt)

Welcome to add any i've missed and please do add info if you know of anything.

(this was originally posted on reddit here

There is a difference between mini games and quicktime events that are basically a player remote-control.

True, but some would argue that is simply semantics. I suppose some would like to pick mines up, others would not; and the rest have a defuse mechanic. Can't make everyone happy :p

But things like mine defusing, lock-picking and perhaps machine repairs (such as motorized vehicles and electric components) might benefit from a little challenge event that perhaps mitigates resource requirements? If you can fix the generator being a damn genius (by means of solving a puzzle), you might not need new wires or parts. Just a thought.... ;)

It's good to remember these things and bring them up periodically.

Landmine defusing - this wouldn't have to be a 'real' minigame with its own interface and mechanics. It could be as simple as, you have to use a wrench on the mine to downgrade it to an inert mine, before you step on it. It's worked for other games. :)

Duke et al - TFP have hinted at more bosses, story, and quests, even for Alpha 17. My suspicion is they won't consider the game complete until it conveys the story they want to tell.

Useful radiation suit - Seeing as they've already made the assets for the suit, I think they'll incorporate it into gameplay rather than let those assets go to waste.

LCB for home management - I'm less sure what you're imagining for this one. But faatal recently mentioned LCBs will suppress sleeper spawns in Alpha 17, so we know they're at least open to changing the rules around LCBs.

Lock picking - On the one hand, this might not give as much bang for the buck as the other features, considering the focus on single player and coop. On the other hand, they are expanding the role of stealth, and lock picks would be in keeping with that.

Shape selector tool - I believe we saw a preview of this at one point. It would've been good to do before redoing all the POIs, so that the world builders could use it. That's why we have painting. I doubt they'll be redoing all the POIs AGAIN (even though they've already missed some opportunities there), which doesn't bode well for this feature.

This is not me hating on the game. Genuinely just wondering if people know what happened to the following. All of these were mentioned by devs in posts and in videos. I left out behemoth, zip lines and gryo as we know those have been dropped or moved; and in the case of gyro, possibly dropped.

• Mini-game to defuse mines
  • Duke et al
  • Radiation zones that require rad suit.. supposed to be really dangerous
  • LCB that allows for "home management"
  • Don't forget lockpicking! (thx u/elt)

Welcome to add any i've missed and please do add info if you know of anything.

(this was originally posted on reddit here

I've asked about some of these plenty of times. Never received an answer.

There are some other lingering questions too. Whatever happened to the hawaiian shirt zombies having a special ramming ability?

Not hating either, but it would be very nice to know if these things are still planned or have essentially been dropped. Some might not like the answers but leaving unanswered questions is never the right option.

Shape selector tool - I believe we saw a preview of this at one point. It would've been good to do before redoing all the POIs, so that the world builders could use it. That's why we have painting. I doubt they'll be redoing all the POIs AGAIN (even though they've already missed some opportunities there), which doesn't bode well for this feature.

I don't think that redoing the pois would be such a problem... they could write a script to translate the current blocks in a poi to the would be new format that combines shapes, with materials, with paint.

There is a difference between mini games and quicktime events that are basically a player remote-control.

Sure. But I don't remember ever seeing a good mini-game for lockpicking, fishing or really anything in any other game.

And I think I know why. If I thought it was fun doing a specific mini-game inside a complex game, I would be playing such a mini-game on its own.

Now I'm sure there are a percentage of players who play the simulation type game "7D2D" AND (for example) simple reaction based games on their handy, but the farther the mini-game is from 7d2d the smaller is the fraction of people who would like BOTH games.

So whatever this mini-game looks like, may it be reaction based, dexterity based, a puzzle or even a card game, there are players who don't like any of them and there are lots of players who only like one or two types of mini games, but not the others. Whatever you do, you can only make a fraction of the players happy with it.

How likely is it that you find a simple mini-game that really appeals to a majority of the players whose only common taste is 7D2D? Maybe make a mini-game where you are shooting zombies while scavenging and building bases. That may work :cocksure:

Reaction based or dexterity based mini-games also have the problem that older players are much worse in them than younger players. You don't want to put in an extra difficulty slider for your mini-game into 7d2d.

Sure. But I don't remember ever seeing a good mini-game for lockpicking, fishing or really anything in any other game.

And I think I know why. If I thought it was fun doing a specific mini-game inside a complex game, I would be playing such a mini-game on its own.

[...]

For a number of reasons I really don't want to see minigames in 7D2D, but just to be fair - Fallout's lockpicking is fine. I've also seen a number of decent fishing minigames over the years, WoW comes to mind, for one.

The only "minigame" that I have enjoyed is the lockpicking in Skyrim/Fallout. It was not disturbing, logical and could be improved with practise.

But so many other minigames in games just suck.

What I would still like to have are ziplines. They dont dwarf the world like a helicopter (making the world way smaller), but still allow a fun mode to set up and travel shortly.

Landmine defusing - this wouldn't have to be a 'real' minigame with its own interface and mechanics. It could be as simple as, you have to use a wrench on the mine to downgrade it to an inert mine, before you step on it. It's worked for other games. :)

LCB for home management - I'm less sure what you're imagining for this one. But faatal recently mentioned LCBs will suppress sleeper spawns in Alpha 17, so we know they're at least open to changing the rules around LCBs.

I just think that risk/reward with mines should be considered. You could just shoot them, but if you want to sneak by, you could defuse them. Would you take the risk of defusing a mine in an apocalypse? I wouldn't unless i knew what i was doing. So there should be a challenge or risk involved. Taking pipes out of a kitchen sink is less deadly.

In terms of LCB management. Expansions on the movement mechanics of work stations. I would like to be able to control the keycodes of all doors within range and lock and unlock; open and close mechanics. Maybe be able to do a scan? How many players inside? How many zombies inside? I dunno... Just something Joel mentioned 2 years ago and it stuck with me.

I don't think that redoing the pois would be such a problem... they could write a script to translate the current blocks in a poi to the would be new format that combines shapes, with materials, with paint.

My point was that this shape selector overhaul would have saved TFP's world builders a lot of time as they redid all the POIs for Alpha 17. If they implement said overhaul later, it may be cool for players, but it would be too late for TFP to reap the benefits... unless they're going to redo all the POIs again.

no, faatal said that the gyro is not a17e, but it can drop later, like second passenger for the jeep

however you can spawn it from debug mode

Thanks. I'll have to dig up that thread. Such a shame that the biggest features (flight, behemoths, legendary items, zombie sleeper spawns, zombie aggro fix, and multi-passenger transportation) aren't done. Really not much point to even releasing a17 if it's just a graphics update.

Thanks. I'll have to dig up that thread. Such a shame that the biggest features (flight, behemoths, legendary items, zombie sleeper spawns, zombie aggro fix, and multi-passenger transportation) aren't done. Really not much point to even releasing a17 if it's just a graphics update.

Really not much point to you posting comments about A17 if you think it's just a graphics update. You'll be hopelessly misinformed, arguing from a position of ignorance, and that will frustrate communication between you and those who recognize that A17 is about a helluva lot more than graphics.

Archived