What size of map will you try to generate?

TheProphet

My friend said he will try to generate a 100kx100k map on his threadripper with 128 gb ram, it's really a beast computer. Then he will try to host a server with the generated huge map for people to join, PVP of course.

Will you try to generate big maps? post your experiments here and how much time it took and post the computer you used to get some data of how much time it takes.

Apparently the only way to pregen maps is with A17... So... Maybe 20k by 20k... But we're on Nitrado, not sure what the specs are... Closed Group - PVE only. Since we're not apart of the preview group no way to give further data. Although Roland has posted some info.

No idea. Gotta test step by step what my PC can handle. Everything that takes more than 10 hours is too big.

You can leave it all day while you are out at work or whatever and then more hours when you sleep: 24 hours

And maybe PC is usable while generating the map.

It's only a one time effort so it's worth it making a big map, like 99% of people hate servers wiping the maps.

It's like you didn't read anything about the map gen. 8kx8k RWG is supposed to take like 5 minutes once it's optimized, it takes <10 minutes now. What kind of preposterously large map are you making that is going to take 24 hours?

It's like you didn't read anything about the map gen. Roland said it's non-linear, so just because 8kx8k takes 5 minutes it doesn't mean 16xk16k will take 10 minutes, 24xk24k 15 minutes, and so follows.

For my personal rwgmixer.xml I threw out large settlements completely in favour of smaller settlements and wilderness clusters.

Therefore the new 1800 standard size was already to big for me but while I could lower that number, the roads remained as long as in 1800, they just bended. And in any size below 1200 the roads actually folded or at least had lots of U-turns. The landscape did also suffer although I flattened it.

So I will be going with maps as small as possible without ripping apart roads and landscapes.

For my personal rwgmixer.xml I threw out large settlements completely in favour of smaller settlements and wilderness clusters.

Therefore the new 1800 standard size was already to big for me but while I could lower that number, the roads remained as long as in 1800, they just bended. And in any size below 1200 the roads actually folded or at least had lots of U-turns. The landscape did also suffer although I flattened it.

So I will be going with maps as small as possible without ripping apart roads and landscapes.

I don't understand. Why would you want tiny maps?

You people have no idea what "exponential" means now do you? xD

5x5= 25

6x6= 36

7x7=49

10x10=100

50x50=2500

100x100=10000

A 10x10 map is probably around 60 minutes (probably more from what ive read)

so 60 minute for a 10x10 map.

that means that you would need to wait >5 days for the game to load... have fun with that xD

You people have no idea what "exponential" means now do you? xD

5x5= 25

6x6= 36

7x7=49

10x10=100

50x50=2500

100x100=10000

A 10x10 map is probably around 60 minutes (probably more from what ive read)

so 60 minute for a 10x10 map.

that means that you would need to wait >5 days for the game to load... have fun with that xD

Not a problem waiting 5 days for an awesome huge map. Remember that players will not have to wait 5 days, just the usual. Once the server is hosted you are good to go.

Not a problem waiting 5 days for an awesome huge map. Remember that players will not have to wait 5 days, just the usual. Once the server is hosted you are good to go.

most admins i knew went through 5-10 maps before settling on one.

Simply because there might be 3 kilometres desert... or worse: water in the center... what then?

yea sure 100x100 sounds fun as an experiment... but there is no reason to play on such a huge map.

12x12 (or 20x20) is WAY larger then anyone really needs.

But it shouldnt be (much) smaller either.

Simply because there might be 3 kilometres desert... or worse: water in the center... what then?

yea sure 100x100 sounds fun as an experiment... but there is no reason to play on such a huge map.

If the algorithm is good then nothing ridiculous should happen. Also 3 kilometres desert is not that bad if the map is 100km. Water in the center sounds like fun. Just think that your plane crashed in an ocean and you must survive somehow. What happend to having imagination?

When I was looking for a seed, I generated 4Kx4k maps so I could check them quickly...

Pretty sure THE CENTER IS THE SAME if it was larger... then I would generate the larger map and check it as well...

Ran through 32 seeds before I settled on the one I have now.

10x10 or an 12x12 should be "plenty" for even the most popular servers...

When I was looking for a seed, I generated 4Kx4k maps so I could check them quickly...

Pretty sure THE CENTER IS THE SAME if it was larger... then I would generate the larger map and check it as well...

Ran through 32 seeds before I settled on the one I have now.

10x10 or an 12x12 should be "plenty" for even the most popular servers...

Not anymore. You are forgetting we now have jeeps and gyrocopters so we need bigger maps.

No idea. Gotta test step by step what my PC can handle. Everything that takes more than 10 hours is too big.

Well, I don't think your pc's memory is going to effect it much, as I am assuming it will save each chunk as its generated. With the new texture streaming, hopefully its coded well enough to also UNLOAD unneeded textures/models. Currently in A16 when you load a game, it loads virtually everything at once, its why bigger mods like Ravenhearst and war of the walkers use so much ram, its due to how the base game is coded. Insted of streaming in what it needs based on what you see in game, it loads it all at once. I wanna play Ravenhearst but I only got 8gb ram, and my poor ssd works like a horse to get it to load due to the pagefile size it ends up using for the mod.

As for the orignal question, I generally start a new map each experemental patch, I don't plan on any sort of longterm game during the experemental builds. First map will be default size to see how big it is, then I'll make the next one a bit bigger.

Isin't the map size about the size of navezgane though by default?

Archived