Underground bases - what's the status of making them vulnerable to zombies?

badger2013

Have there been any updates regarding making zombies able to effectively attack underground bases? I recall some discussion about adding diggers in the past, but I haven't seen any updates since that point (unless I've missed some, which is possible as I've been taking a break from the game).

Right now an underground base is basically impregnable and easy to create. Of course, you can institute a house rule to build above ground, but I think the game would benefit from having more threats to underground structures.

The most that I have read is that they expressed an interest on making the underground have some form of a challenge/threat again. If it's zeds being able to get at you or some other form of challenge/threat that needed attention to overcome but nothing for certain.

The only issue I see with this is how you put them into play.

Do you add a specific zombie that only digs underground? If so, how deep do you have them dig, how many do you add in? How do you keep them from digging to bedrock and collapsing portions of the map, possibly under a base that is completely above ground? If you only have them come out on horde night then you have to hope you get them all or you may just have a rogue digger going around the map, if you have a long game and you miss one per horde night eventually parts of the ground are going to start collapsing and pretty much ruin the game for you if your base is unlucky enough to be in the part that collapses, or cities just start turning into craters. To actually put in a threat that is specifically targeted at underground bases isn't easily done in my eyes, it would be much easier to just update the ai/pathing(which they're working on now) to find the entrance into the base that you use and break in that way.

they expressed an interest on making the underground have some form of a challenge/threat

Since years ago. I was hoping it would have been a priority over vehicles, quests and such but it's not, apparently.

it would be much easier to just update the ai/pathing(which they're working on now) to find the entrance into the base that you use and break in that way.

Pathing won't solve the problem. Not with the current chunk/heat/spawning system anyway. Environmental dangers would be nice for starters.

How about a stat for radon exposure or something. The closer to bedrock you are the faster it accumulates. At varies levels of exposure you start losing wellness over time. Then implement ways to reduce radon count or speed of accumulation. Make one of the ways to reduce radon be spending time above ground level. Maybe let hazmat gear counter radon a bit.

People hiding underground who get no xp or loot from zombie hordes is not much of a problem. The real problem is elevated bases with upside down log spike traps that are flush with the ground. These people farm xp and loot with zero risk. Another problem is the people who drink grain alcohol and run the whole night killing zombies with overpowered melee weapons with zero risk.

Both the elevated bases and an all night stamina and stun resist buff are far more over powered than some mole who gets nothing from hiding underground.

I forgot about the the battle platform cheese. Build a platform with a full block topped with a slab then make a three slab wide ledge that runs around the perimeter of the platform. Players can easily jump up on this platform but zombies just stand there and let you beat them over the head with overpowered melee weapons with zero risk.

or just leave us mole people alone <.<

Options.

People hiding underground who get no xp or loot from zombie hordes is not much of a problem. The real problem is elevated bases with upside down log spike traps that are flush with the ground. These people farm xp and loot with zero risk. Another problem is the people who drink grain alcohol and run the whole night killing zombies with overpowered melee weapons with zero risk.

They are not a problem. The real problem is that people who want to enjoy a survival game can't really enjoy half of the game's worldspace and a main feature of a voxel world (which is also mandatory because of mining).

Just to comment on the farming exp part, it saddens me that survival has taken a back seat to farming exp and leveling. And I agree that most buffs are over the top mostly because they are spam-able. Anyway, people exploiting pathing, deliberately do something to circumvent survival content - which must be fixed yes, but it's not that big of a problem compared to what I said above.

Both the elevated bases and an all night stamina and stun resist buff are far more over powered than some mole who gets nothing from hiding underground.

I forgot about the the battle platform cheese. Build a platform with a full block topped with a slab then make a three slab wide ledge that runs around the perimeter of the platform. Players can easily jump up on this platform but zombies just stand there and let you beat them over the head with overpowered melee weapons with zero risk.

No, the problem is not the people who do anything. Problems stem from things like design flaws, oversights, and bugs. What people do in the game is a direct consequence of what they can do.

This may sound like a small, pedantic distinction. But ignore it in a thread like this, and you’ll find civil discussion taking a back seat to a more testy debate on which ways to play the game are more ‘correct’ than others.

If somebody is not killing you repeatedly, raiding your base, or otherwise griefing you, don't worry about how they play.

If you find underground lairs to be too safe for your tastes, then you are free to build above ground and deal with the screamers and potential loss of your stored goods, crafting stations, and time spent building.

Or dig randomly and find out how much fun tunnel collapse can be. There is your main underground hazard, aside from dozing off.

I am still confused why this is an issue.

I, playing my single-player world, choose to put my comfy, decorated primary living and crafting space underground. I have to leave it to farm, gather resources, hunt, engage with Zeds, visit traders, hunt for treasurers, complete quests, and explore for new place to do all of the above. I still build a series of horde night bases with increasing defensive capabilities. All in all, I spend about 20% of my time underground, excluding mining when I need some extra stone or shale.

This is how I choose to play. I balance survival in the form of dealing with Zeds and survival in the form of the mundane things I need to do when not directly engaged in combat.

Can anyone actually explain why this is a problem beyond you not liking my play style?

I am still confused why this is an issue.

Can anyone actually explain why this is a problem beyond you not liking my play style?

People are playing in various ways, posting about it in these forums and yet none complains, so it's not about you or anyone playing in whatever way. You only have to read the whole thread or one of these threads, instead of only the OP, to understand why this is an issue.

Remind me, this hurts you how exactly???

Play your own way and let them play theirs and stop trying to make everyone play to some 'vision' you have of how the game should be played.

I get the impression that some people cry, "exploit!" whenever they see gameplay that they don't agree with. To me, an exploit is taking advantage of a bug or cheat, like poor clipping on a FPS.

Using underground/stilt/mushroom bases isn't some glitch in the code, it's the way the game works. If this is really a problem for you, play with a like-minded group of people and agree to not do X.

If these things aren't working the way TFP intended, they'll have to change the code, and we'll adjust playstyle from there.

In all honesty, I'd like some changes to how some of this works, but it comes down more to balancing the rewards and risks.

IF digging zombies are put in.. I WILL REMOVE THEM from my game. IF radiation or things that make life more stress full in game So I can not have a safe zone to have some down time. I WILL REMOVE THEM from my game. IF its hard code in I MAY STOP playing all together. MORE choices is ok . But leave a way out for those who dont like being at stress level 100% ever second of the game. I am not hard core player but like a little danger here and there.

As for now. you play your way , LEAVE me alone to play my way.

I get the impression that some people cry, "exploit!" whenever they see gameplay that they don't agree with. To me, an exploit is taking advantage of a bug or cheat, like poor clipping on a FPS.

Core gameplay loop consists of building, scavenging, farming on scavenging and dealing with random roaming hordes by either avoiding them if "out there" or getting rid of it when in your base and fighting for most of the time and for self defense from homing horde every 7 days.

How would you name deliberate evading the part of the game that is literally in the title of it?

That means other elements of risk vs reward needs to be implemented.

Underground bases provide MASSIVE rewards and absolutely no risk.

Change that to match the reward and the game will be much more balanced.

Your mole playstyle should not be removed, but if you want a complete safety, turn off zombies and play creative mode.

Archived