Why not have an ending?

Trendkill555

Why not have a real end game?

After so many days surviving (180-365?) A note from the remaining army starts to spawn in the drop crates and gives you a schmatic for a radio. now the fairly low spawning radio pieces will start to appear in the world. assemble the radio and contact the army. the army will tell you where the survivors are and how to assemble a helicopter or autogyro. now you have to scavange for the low spawning, helicopter parts. assemble helicopter and win. bill burr would be proud!

From what I've gathered so far, the Navezgane map is where the story will be and that will have an end game. Doesn't mean you have to stop playing after you've done what needs doing, however.

As for RWG I don't think there are any plans to make it anything other than open ended. I'm sure they will add all kinds of content and make sure things are tuned to remain challenging in the later days. Random gen worlds are all about being open... beginning, middle and end, so I doubt that will change drastically.

Isn't the point of open world sandbox games that it kind of simulates life in a more fun way for a particular scenario? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought life only had one ending.

Kind of. That doesn't necessarily preclude an optional ending for the completionists among us. I'd probably ignore it provided the option being there didn't impact my gameplay.

I personally don't feel the game needs to have an "Ending" story wise..

I think the game needs a better flow when transitioning through levels and stages of the game.

• Beginning (just starting out): Which the game does fairly well but I feel needs to be extended a lot more. A couple months game wise.
  • Middle (getting comfortable and situated): Which allows the player to get situated. Which has been getting better but I think still needs to be extended out more.
  • Ending: Everything needs to ramp back up to make the players feel the struggle like it was in the beginning (rinse/repeat). Which the game is failing at atm. Right now it's just a steady progression. No real ebb or flow. Gamestages don't really do anything all that much atm.

Story wise? Maybe the player can get and do things to find some answers to piece the game worlds history back together but nothing concrete.. multiple theories.

Farming as is, Is not all that good (imo) It's way easy to have no fear of going hungry. Bring back crops getting destroyed by entities. Crop failure needs to be increased.

Take this with a grain of salt though, since the game isn't fully developed yet and things are still being added and adjusted.

Just my opinion and sorry about everything not being totally on topic.

I think the game needs a better flow when transitioning through levels and stages of the game.

• Beginning (just starting out): Which the game does fairly well but I feel needs to be extended a lot more. A couple months game wise.
  • Middle (getting comfortable and situated): Which allows the player to get situated. Which has been getting better but I think still needs to be extended out more.
  • Ending: Everything needs to ramp back up to make the players feel the struggle like it was in the beginning (rinse/repeat). Which the game is failing at atm. Right now it's just a steady progression. No real ebb or flow. Gamestages don't really do anything all that much atm.

Depends on what you mean by "Extend". If you're talking about adding more to do and acquire, yeah, okay.

If it's just more "grind this before you can not suck at it", no. They already dragged out the existing content more than enough.

Farming as is, Is not all that good (imo) It's way easy to have no fear of going hungry. Bring back crops getting destroyed by entities. Crop failure needs to be increased.

I'm fine with crops getting destroyed by entities. I believe that was in back in A8/9 but they took it out because animals could also destroy crops. Whatever the reason, it will only make me keep building farms high up or underground and fortifying them, which is what I do anyway because it feels strange to have an open farm.

I don't know what you're going for with crop failure. Since players already make farms bigger than needed, they'll simply make farms 10x what they currently do, and get the same result.

I don't know what you're going for with crop failure. Since players already make farms bigger than needed, they'll simply make farms 10x what they currently do, and get the same result.

I think the point was that with guaranteed results there are no question marks. You produce X amount of food from Y plots with no variance. If anything crop production should be adjusted by the loot abundance setting just like eggs from nests are.

Story wise? Maybe the player can get and do things to find some answers to piece the game worlds history back together but nothing concrete.. multiple theories.

Take this with a grain of salt though, since the game isn't fully developed yet and things are still being added and adjusted.

Just my opinion and sorry about everything not being totally on topic.

You're the only one who wants this so mod those changes. increase your XP per level and skill rank drastically, reduce harvest counts of every block and loot quantity, reduce crop yields or eliminate Fertilizer and iron gardening hoe, and decrease damage of all weapons to make your end-game harder. You do you.

I certainly do not want the game to be grindier than it already is.

----------------

Also, ending does not make for a long lasting survival game.

Example?

Subnautica.

Good idea, murdered by the story, which makes you not want to return to the game once you complete the short story.

Subnautica has a huge amount of terrain to explore, so if you're finding things quick you're either the luckiest fool alive or using guides.

-----------------

From what I've gathered so far, the Navezgane map is where the story will be and that will have an end game. Doesn't mean you have to stop playing after you've done what needs doing, however.

As for RWG I don't think there are any plans to make it anything other than open ended. I'm sure they will add all kinds of content and make sure things are tuned to remain challenging in the later days. Random gen worlds are all about being open... beginning, middle and end, so I doubt that will change drastically.

Not sure if it was from the Dev's or players (I think from both) there was discussion about story being implemented in RWG games as well. I'm not sure how they would implement it so you don't stumble into a site much farther in the story than you should be and jump ahead, but I think that's what they were discussing. The easiest way I can think of right now is to implement a key in one site that opens the next, and unbreakable walls like the Traitor(which sometimes spawn without walls).

I think the point was that with guaranteed results there are no question marks. You produce X amount of food from Y plots with no variance. If anything crop production should be adjusted by the loot abundance setting just like eggs from nests are.

So, % chance for a harvested plant to give nothing? The game doesn't need more RNG.

- - - Updated - - -

You're the only one who wants this so mod those changes. increase your XP per level and skill rank drastically, reduce harvest counts of every block and loot quantity, reduce crop yields or eliminate Fertilizer and iron gardening hoe, and decrease damage of all weapons to make your end-game harder. You do you.

Yeah, that would be the wrong way to "extend" the game. Anyone that wants that can mod it, I agree. An extreme minority would actually enjoy that change.

Not sure if it was from the Dev's or players (I think from both) there was discussion about story being implemented in RWG games as well. I'm not sure how they would implement it so you don't stumble into a site much farther in the story than you should be and jump ahead....

The story should be limited to Navezgane. Any attempt to add it to RWG is almost certain to impact player freedom, and that's a no-no.

The story should be limited to Navezgane. Any attempt to add it to RWG is almost certain to impact player freedom, and that's a no-no.

IMO, quite the opposite. The story should be included in RWG or people are forced to play Navelgaze for the story. In RWG with story, you can either choose not to pursue the story, or realize that story areas can be spread out over a much larger area and it's going to take a very long time to find the "next" area, or even find an out-of-order story part that you need to come back to later.

Because Navelgaze sucks, and nobody should ever be forced to play it for any reason. Too small, not enough shops.

Oh I will chief! I will!

I'll also keep suggesting things to make it easier on myself whether you like it or not ;)

You might also want to rethink you don't speak for everybody. :encouragement:

IMO, quite the opposite. The story should be included in RWG or people are forced to play Navelgaze for the story. In RWG with story, you can either choose not to pursue the story, or realize that story areas can be spread out over a much larger area and it's going to take a very long time to find the "next" area, or even find an out-of-order story part that you need to come back to later.

Because Navelgaze sucks, and nobody should ever be forced to play it for any reason. Too small, not enough shops.

Because Navezgane is static and the locations are known, it is the perfect area for a story to be set in. As you correctly identified in your previous post, there is likely to be a need to restrict players from entering certain regions until they progress to that point in the story. That's completely against the spirit of a randomly generated open world.

If I'm wrong, and the story can be seamlessly added, then you're correct that it wouldn't affect me and I could safely avoid. Somehow I doubt this would be the case though (why are traders still invulnerable?)

The story is open-ended... Period. There is no ending. The zeds can not convert/kill the Traitors - PERIOD; therefore the apocalypse is never total, nor complete. Once we get bandits and/or "Survivors" as some mods have... It will truly never end! You can always play Dead is Dead to have an ending of sorts lol

Yeah, story mode, Im already have ideas about two endings, with story already present and after completing main chain quest when you entering trader :

a) Good ending - Pathetic congrats text "blah blah you find survivors, you're best", brave music, and titles runs.

b) Bad ending - after entering trader doors locks behind you, and endless zombies spawns. After your death - sad music, message "blah blah no more hope etc" and titles runs.

Archived