Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

Okay, so I need to test planting a banana tree. Entirely possible I cocked up the plant-growing code.

I was told by Stompy that the plant will check 1 block in all directions for water. So in THEORY it should work for earth above water. I have not tested this though. If it doesn't, then I'll talk to him to find out how I adjust the C# code so it scans 2 blocks instead (which I'm seriously considering anyways)

I assume there is a very good reason why the time is not shown. Is there something I can edit or something to have the time show? I really hate that I dont know the time. I love the mod thus far. Thank again for any help.

Okay, so I need to test planting a banana tree. Entirely possible I cocked up the plant-growing code.

I was told by Stompy that the plant will check 1 block in all directions for water. So in THEORY it should work for earth above water. I have not tested this though. If it doesn't, then I'll talk to him to find out how I adjust the C# code so it scans 2 blocks instead (which I'm seriously considering anyways)

I planted one by a hole in the dirt that I filled with water and it seems stuck at almost fully grown.

I assume there is a very good reason why the time is not shown. Is there something I can edit or something to have the time show? I really hate that I dont know the time. I love the mod thus far. Thank again for any help.

Because I chose to turn it off and therefore it should be considered part of the mod?

I mean, you could go edit windows.xml to turn it back on, or you could just get used to it like everyone else.

I planted one by a hole in the dirt that I filled with water and it seems stuck at almost fully grown.

If you mean a tree, they don't need water. Are any of the other trees having issues?

As a very general rule, I would recommend installing the full thing. In this instance, there's new icons, new unity3d files and updated XML so it's easier than me trying to go through the list and go "You need this, this and this."

However, on smaller updates (x.x.whatever) you can usually just update XML (Data/Config). This one is a bit different due to the added Elevators.

EDIT: Update on the banana tree's.

Tested away from water and next to water. Being next to water does seem to make them "stop" growing occasionally (1 in 5 tests) and being away from water makes them grow fine.

Cannot reproduce the infinite banana bug. However I will continue to test. :)

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

Hi all and special hi to Khaine

I have now been playing this mod for a while and must say it's the best balanced mod out there. I like it a lot but I do have some "constructive critiism" and btw, I'm not a good player but I have a 1K hours or so of experience

1. Water. Do we really need to have 3 kinds of water??

- Vanilla glass jars for some recipies.

- Clay bowls for others.

- Cans for quests.

Doesnt make sense to me at all and feels very annoying and irritating to me at least.

2. Ferals, especially early game.

- It's really hard to get a hold anywhere with all these ferals/radiated things running around, even at daytime. It seems like some of them have boosted health and/or HP regeneration. Handling that at lvl 5 with a 100 lvl bow is to hard. So early game seems to be a bit to much about dodging all Z's..

3. Food

- Way to much fruit around.... Spend 10-20 RL minutes in the desert collecting bananas/coconuts and your good to go for 1-2 weeks gametime.

4. Resources

- There is some duping possible without hacks. Dont know if it's intentional or not. But unlimited stone and wood are possible.

5. Classes

- Pretty good overall but I think all lvls need a reward of some sort. And I think it should be a little bit easier to get next class. 100+ papers takes a really long time to get. Maybe sell them at traders for a high price (5-10K a pieceK?) to get more options to find them.

With that said, I really like this mod of yours!

Keep up the good work!

Shin

1) Not gonna lie, mostly got the interchangeable bowls/jars idea from Valmod. In some cases, yes you do need to have 2 different kinds because it makes more sense to use a bowl in the crafting (and give it back to the player if possible) than using a jar. I'm pretty sure eating clay is healthier than eating glass. ;)

As for the cans, I put that quest in because there's no use for cans once you have a cooking pot, other than oil (which I think I changed to using jars ANYWAY) and scrapping them. That way you can use them to get a reward.

2) Ferals only run around in daytime for approx 1-2 hours. That's how the game handles the "refresh" of spawning. Nothing I can do about that and the point of night time is that it's supposed to be dangerous. So I either get rid of the ferals (not happening) or play around with the spawn rates (Which means more zombies in general). The rad zombies I already turned DOWN once on the spawn rate, and yes, you can totally kill them with a level 100 bow, even with health regen. I've done it with a level 50 bow on Warrior, at level 5 and I only have 1,400 hours. Headshots totally matter.

Side-note: That's also why I had to change rad zombie loot because I had an AK-47 with 50 bullets on day 1.

3) Aware of this and currently playing with the spawn rates. :)

4) Didn't know about that... well I knew about the stone axe scrapping to give you 1 stone (when 1 stone makes 2 sharp rocks), but I figured if people really want to dupe stone then they must be SUPER desperate. :D

5) Classes.... oh boy. All I'm gonna say is this.

It's not getting changed. You can make class papers for half the cost in a writing desk. There's other mods out there where you need 200 OR MORE of their equivalent of skill notes to make a new class. Part of the point is to try and ensure players have other goals to pursue at higher levels as well. Lowering the cost would negate that.

Because I chose to turn it off and therefore it should be considered part of the mod?

I mean, you could go edit windows.xml to turn it back on, or you could just get used to it like everyone else.

Thank you so very much. I knew it would offend, I really do love the mod

Didn't offend me. Just disappointed me.

Learn to play without it. Here's a tip. You hear crickets in the ambient sound at 7pm. Any trader window will tell you the time (like vending machines).

Now go forth and learn how to manage your time.

Didn't offend me. Just disappointed me.

Learn to play without it. Here's a tip. You hear crickets in the ambient sound at 7pm. Any trader window will tell you the time (like vending machines).

Now go forth and learn how to manage your time.

Yeah I wasn't a fan at first but now I really like it and the game feels much more immersive when I have to listen for the crickets and watch the sun to determine how much time I have before RTB.

Yeah I wasn't a fan at first but now I really like it and the game feels much more immersive when I have to listen for the crickets and watch the sun to determine how much time I have before RTB.

The sunset is definitely what I rely upon to beat nightfall. One of the best aspects to building a base in/around a trading post is that the trader/quest NPCs know the exact time.

@KhaineGB

Do you think there would the possibility of an in-game item that you could build with the right parts that would display the time when held (watch, etc.)? I have no idea if that's even plausible or something you'd be interested in adding.

The sunset is definitely what I rely upon to beat nightfall. One of the best aspects to building a base in/around a trading post is that the trader/quest NPCs know the exact time.

@KhaineGB

Do you think there would the possibility of an in-game item that you could build with the right parts that would display the time when held (watch, etc.)? I have no idea if that's even plausible or something you'd be interested in adding.

Not without custom C# code to turn the part of the window off and on.

Which is beyond my ability right now.

Come on people ..

Get over it .. the WATCH is gone .. the sun comes up _ it's morning … the sun goes down .. you better be looking for shelter .. THE Trader and vending machines have the Time.

Yes .. It took a bit to get use to not having it … BUT I have adjusted and having fun

Thank you .. KhaineGB for sticking to your guns …… Have Fun and Enjoy … the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

True gpc. Guys if you really need the time go survivor class and build a radio. it is suppose to give you the time.

if it's really bothering you just go to the console type in Dm for creative mode. Hit the escape key and the time of day is on the right.

Please stop bugging the modders with these little annoyances . I for one don't want them to get pissed off and stop making mods because people can't appreciate all they do for free.

You can also open the console and type gettime.

Done.

But seriously, folks. The time is gone. It's part of the mod. It's literally listed as a feature on the first post (which I am going to tidy up at some point). Please stop asking me for ways around it.

If you don't like it, literally any other mod still has the time turned on.

[...]

5) Classes.... oh boy. All I'm gonna say is this.

It's not getting changed. You can make class papers for half the cost in a writing desk. There's other mods out there where you need 200 OR MORE of their equivalent of skill notes to make a new class. Part of the point is to try and ensure players have other goals to pursue at higher levels as well. Lowering the cost would negate that.

...wait!! Can I choose and ADD a class to the starting one crafting the class book at desk and reading it?

I supposed I'd have lost my starting class benefits with the other class, but if it is an ADD it is wonderful!!

The writing desk lets you make the blank class paper for half of the cost of making it in your backpack.

I don't fully remember the recipe off the top of my head, but I know it's 60 notes, 30 paper + the ink and quill (think its 2 ink).

Then you can make whatever class you want out of that paper, just the same as when you started. :)

Exchanging the player generic storage and storage chests with loot blocks that are equivalent to hidden stashes is quite unbalanced. Usually builders count on these to be empty by default, and thus often use plenty of them for decoration purposes. So lots of compo pack POIs will be very very OP loot-wise because of these changes. If you still want there to be a chance of them to not be empty, I'd change these blocks to random loothelpers instead, maybe with a chance of 5:1 or 10:1 to spawn your lootcontainers.

What? no. You make that block ID a loothelper, and make a list for what can spawn in loot.xml.

ETA: and I just realized that it'd be even easier just changing the lootlist to be like trash or cardboard boxes, then it doesn't matter as much when a POI (e.g. check out the CP Asylum) has loads of storage chests or crates.

Edited by owl79 (see edit history)

Only main thing I dislike about darkness falls is the fact I need a water source near the plants for farming, How close does it have to be? I usually build my bases underground in the desert so... This is kinda messing with it. The time not showing kinda bugs me, but I usually listen for the sound that happens when night and day starts, so I got used to it. Though I do admit I don't see the purpose to removing the time from the UI in the first place.

For the water could I dig like a channel in between each row of plants and drop 1 bucket of water there and hope it fills it up? Maybe like this.

W=water P=plant

wppwppwppwppw

To stop people going on about the time, why not post how to add the time back into the UI for people who want to in the main post, since it seems to be brought up quite a bit.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

What? no. You make that block ID a loothelper, and make a list for what can spawn in loot.xml.

ETA: and I just realized that it'd be even easier just changing the lootlist to be like trash or cardboard boxes, then it doesn't matter as much when a POI (e.g. check out the CP Asylum) has loads of storage chests or crates.

Um, yes. You have to go edit every single POI with those blocks in and change all the block ID's.

So my point stands.

But I'm going to be looking at the loot lists in general anyway.

Only main thing I dislike about darkness falls is the fact I need a water source near the plants for farming, How close does it have to be? I usually build my bases underground in the desert so... This is kinda messing with it. The time not showing kinda bugs me, but I usually listen for the sound that happens when night and day starts, so I got used to it. Though I do admit I don't see the purpose to removing the time from the UI in the first place.

For the water could I dig like a channel in between each row of plants and drop 1 bucket of water there and hope it fills it up? Maybe like this.

W=water P=plant

wppwppwppwppw

To stop people going on about the time, why not post how to add the time back into the UI for people who want to in the main post, since it seems to be brought up quite a bit.

Water has to be next to the plant, so your plan should work.

However I'm looking at changing that so it goes out roughly 2-3 blocks. Need to test it first though.

Also, adding the time back isn't going to be as easy as it was since I've used the space under the compass for the players core temp value and their level.

The POINT in removing it was for 2 reasons.

1) To make players actually stop and think about what they're doing. Everyone settled in to the routine of hiding near their doors until the daylight sound starts and then going straight out to loot or whatever, knowing it means they've got roughly 17-ish hours to get all that done (allowing for travel time there and back).

Instead of just going "I'm gonna loot the crap out of that town until 9pm, then I'll head home" people are now going "Okay, there's a POI with a vending machine. I want to stay near that so I can check the time once I've finished a building" and they often head back to base sooner and work on other projects.

The intent is to literally force you to play in a different way than you've been used to for the past god knows how many alphas (I say that because everyone started at different times. I started in A7 with the minimap on the HUD, as an example).

2) Extra realism. Most people, as already mentioned, use their phones and computers to tell the time. They'd be dead in days. Hardly anyone has a watch now, and if they do it's usually some kind of smart watch. Honestly, if I had the option, I'd allow the time for say.... the first 3-7 days, and then have it disappear like your battery died.

But that isn't possible. It's on or off. So I chose off.

I think you're probably misunderstanding what I meant: the chest/crate block IDs could really be made into loothelpers via blocks.xml and loot.xml only (adding a placeholder list for those blocks there), just like you exchanged them for new chests/crates with a different lootlist. No editing of POIs necessary at all. This method has been used plenty in other mods. But for your purpose, randomizing that lootlist to contain way more junk than good hidden stash loot would be easier and a better solution anyway.

ETA: I also tried it myself with changing the potted plant ID to a loothelper, so I'd get random plants (using the new Ravenhearst models).

Edited by owl79 (see edit history)

I think you're probably misunderstanding what I meant: the chest/crate block IDs could really be made into loothelpers via blocks.xml and loot.xml only (adding a placeholder list for those blocks there), just like you exchanged them for new chests/crates with a different lootlist. No editing of POIs necessary at all. This method has been used plenty in other mods. But for your purpose, randomizing that lootlist to contain way more junk than good hidden stash loot would be easier and a better solution anyway.

ETA: I also tried it myself with changing the potted plant ID to a loothelper, so I'd get random plants (using the new Ravenhearst models).

Yep, I did misunderstand. I thought you meant replacing the block ID's in the actual prefabs themselves rather than blocks.xml.

Basically, and correct me if I'm wrong, you're talking about doing what the trader does where the prefab has a loothelper for the workstations, and then it decides if you get a destroyed or working workstation once the world is generated... so it's totally random.

I probably COULD do that, but it'd definitely be something for 1.8 so I don't break existing worlds. Like I said, I'm gonna be going through loot.xml anyways because I want to tweak that specific loot list and introduce levelled loot across the board.