Something Interesting I Found Looking Through The EXP Files

JaxTeller718

I was in a hurry when I wrote that, but to review...

JaxTeller starts the thread saying zombies will one day attack other animals, loot containers, the supply plane, our backpacks and supply crates.

Rumbaar expresses his disbelief.

JaxTeller expands on what this would mean for gameplay, assuming it was true.

unholyjoe chimes in implying there's something to this he shouldn't talk about.

Kage and TSBX voice their disapproval with the alleged new design direction.

So it seemed to me we already had people assuming JaxTeller's original claim was true. That would be alarming, and a few posts away from people getting bent out of shape over an imagined change to gameplay. Better to say there's no cause for alarm before that happens, no?

Jesus Christ, its a section of commented out code that I found listed under the zombie template. It could mean anything or nothing. It could be added to zombies, bandits, bears, snakes, gerbils and hamsters. I was only speculating on what it COULD mean, you are making it sound like I have some kind of inside info that zombies will be destroying your backpack upon death.

So yes Crater is correct. I was SPECULATING on what it could mean. Relax everyone no need for a #gate over this. It's just new commented out code.

Anyone could have found this code and posted it. I merely posted it so we could discuss what it could mean. If it is alarming to people I apologize. Now I know why Devs keep their distance lately. Carry on carrying on.

Being a modder I of course ALWAYS check the files for changes. I havent seen anyone mention this yet so I thought I would post it here for your discussion. In the zombie male template a new section has been added and commented out meaning the code is there it is just not ready to go in game yet. Make of this what you will but I think its rather cool:

<!--Classes for AITarget:
	<property name="Class" value="EntityDriveableCar"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityAnimalRabbit"/> and chicken
	<property name="Class" value="EntityAnimalStag"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityBackpack"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityBandit"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityEnemyAnimal"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityLootContainer"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityMinibike"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityNPC"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityPlayer"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntitySupplyCrate"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntitySupplyPlane"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntitySurvivor"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityVulture"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityZombie"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityZombieCop"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityZombieCrawl"/>
	<property name="Class" value="EntityZombieDog"/>
-->

That means not only will zombies one day attack other animals, loot containers, the supply PLANE, our backpacks and supply crates but check out that FIRST line. Driveable car. And it is separate from the minibike. :)

Also of note they added Bandits and Survivors to it, meaning A17 is looking REAL nice and like a game changer.

Damnit a driveable car?! Me and my wife wanted to know about those and if they were actually going to be implemented. Good job my man!

I was in a hurry when I wrote that, but to review...

JaxTeller starts the thread saying zombies will one day attack other animals, loot containers, the supply plane, our backpacks and supply crates.

Rumbaar expresses his disbelief.

JaxTeller expands on what this would mean for gameplay, assuming it was true.

unholyjoe chimes in implying there's something to this he shouldn't talk about.

Kage and TSBX voice their disapproval with the alleged new design direction.

So it seemed to me we already had people assuming JaxTeller's original claim was true. That would be alarming, and a few posts away from people getting bent out of shape over an imagined change to gameplay. Better to say there's no cause for alarm before that happens, no?

No, you had ppl just commenting on a "What If", A "conversation piece". Jax made it pretty clear it was a speculation post. It's what ppl do. There's nothing to correct. PPL understand this is just for conversation and just a fun post. Jax nor anyone else is stating anything as fact and I tend to believe ppl know this. They're just stating what they would think about 'IF' XYZ happens how they wouldn't like it.

Jesus Christ, its a section of commented out code that I found listed under the zombie template. It could mean anything or nothing. ....

Thats why so many developers never talk about plans in a game. 5 Minutes after a "we look if its possibe to add XY" the community took it as "guaranteed"

I figured people would be more excited for the driveablecar class and the fact that followers, survivors and bandits have now been added as targets for entities. Sure we could have modded that before but now with this addition it makes it more real that these things are actually being looked at worked on. Possibly as part of the AI overhaul. Boy did I NOT expect the backpack part to be the driving force behind the conversation lol

Regardless I'm just excited that in the future it seems like you CAN have npcs (zombies or bandits) target things like your backpack, crates and containers. This is great news for modders who may want specific bandit types (looters who target backpacks or minibikes) or zombies (undead who target supply drops) to do specific things. I know if I PVP'ed and I killed someone I would take his bag and blow his minibike away so that's a step towards a better more realistic and alive world and it might mean that bandits who target your loot containers could be a step towards bandits raiding your house. Which I think would be cool.

Which file and where is this?

Is this in the 16.4 experimental (and hence I see nothing of the sort)? No idea what an "exp" file is either.

yes A16.4 experimental. thinking "exp" is shorthand.

Humans can have a tendency to interpret data how they would/wont like it to be and not always interpret it to the best of the input knowledge and there abilities.

I myself have done this and no doubt do it again.

(All speculation on my part)

Heh I think it might be an attempt to adding more to the AI's functionality as a whole. For Bandits/Zeds/Survivors/Animals or whatnot. Doesn't mean it'll be just for an attack task. Could mean and be an attempt to have survivors move to these points to simulate they feel more life like moving from object to object. Same with bandits but add on an attack task when in enemy base. Give zeds the appearance that they are searching for their next meal by shuffling along at a poi by going from point to point.

I figured people would be more excited for the driveablecar class and the fact that followers, survivors and bandits have now been added as targets for entities. Sure we could have modded that before but now with this addition it makes it more real that these things are actually being looked at worked on. Possibly as part of the AI overhaul. Boy did I NOT expect the backpack part to be the driving force behind the conversation lol

Regardless I'm just excited that in the future it seems like you CAN have npcs (zombies or bandits) target things like your backpack, crates and containers. This is great news for modders who may want specific bandit types (looters who target backpacks or minibikes) or zombies (undead who target supply drops) to do specific things. I know if I PVP'ed and I killed someone I would take his bag and blow his minibike away so that's a step towards a better more realistic and alive world and it might mean that bandits who target your loot containers could be a step towards bandits raiding your house. Which I think would be cool.

meh, don't personally care about the cars, I feel the map is to small myself. Doesn't mean I don't think its neat though. More excited about the other aspects personally xD

I dont want to speak for anyone else but I personally was not bent out of shape or upet about anything. Just saying zeds attacking your boxes and bags don't make much sense is all.

Someone said the boxes could have our sent on them but I still don't like the idea. Zombies dont smell. Only exceptions are when we have meat on us. Horde night is the other exception. But to be fair horde nights make no sense either. I dont mind though because it's fun.

/*Me speculating and results from a spahgetti scripting session*/

I managed to get the zombies to target and try and attack the rabbits but they was not interested in the minibike.

Not sure why, could be AI hardcoded framework isnt there yet or my shoddy scripting skills.

/*WARNING This message could self destruct if mishandled extreme caution is advised*/

Maybe replies in a more standardised format can be implemented.

Required title explaining what is happening and a boilerplate disclaimer.

Would you feel safer with this tech in the digital world of 7D2D forum ?

I dont want to speak for anyone else but I personally was not bent out of shape or upet about anything. Just saying zeds attacking your boxes and bags don't make much sense is all.

Someone said the boxes could have our sent on them but I still don't like the idea. Zombies dont smell. Only exceptions are when we have meat on us. Horde night is the other exception. But to be fair horde nights make no sense either. I dont mind though because it's fun.

Dead things smell pretty bad xD (joking)

I dont mind though because it's fun.

Exactly.

Relax everyone no need for a #gate over this. It's just new commented out code.

That was my point, too. We're in agreement.

No, you had ppl just commenting on a "What If", A "conversation piece". Jax made it pretty clear it was a speculation post. It's what ppl do. There's nothing to correct. PPL understand this is just for conversation and just a fun post. Jax nor anyone else is stating anything as fact and I tend to believe ppl know this. They're just stating what they would think about 'IF' XYZ happens how they wouldn't like it.

If you want to pin me down, what needed correcting was the word "will." Jax said zombies will one day attack all these things. That's not speculative; it implies certainty. "Could" would imply speculation. Now my goal wasn't to nitpick, but inevitably someone will latch onto that claimed certainty if it's not made abundantly clear, which is indeed what Rumbaar did:

Dang, can't park a bike, loot and come out with it not touched soon? Backpack, nice .... so the 20m timer and now the zombie(s) that kill you will also destroy your backpack while you run the km's back to pick it up?

Really, I was echoing what others like graphite had already said: "I would not read into it too much at the moment..."

What if you were to uncomment them?

If you remove the escape sequences from the template who knows what undefined behavior it might have at best memory resources will be continuously aquired but never deallocated spiralling out of control with no gc and with it running on baremetal at ring zero the heap goes up the stack comes down and kaboom.

This is just speculation that if enough noise is generated to break a threshold it needs a position to lock on to and move to and making a reference point an entity seems to make more sense then a reference point that is the position where the player was when threshold was broken as i am not sure sound is the same as sight where the zombie will move for 30 secs on last known location.

It also could give ownership to the noise rather than just target the player.

Side note what the hell is this ?

I felt i was never going to understand this and totally thrown in the deep end!

* SightRange="distance in meters" : The absolute max range that a zombie can see for.

Not randomised itself but used to LERP the *required* light levels

for detection at the current distance. (math speak, look it up)

Wiki went straight over my head "Linear interpolation" "Bresenham's line algorithm"

I could understand the basic notion but the details of the function i have no chance.

Reading the unity doc on lerp made a little more sense

Linearly interpolates between two vectors.

Interpolates between the vectors a and b by the interpolant t. The parameter t is clamped to the range [0, 1]. This is most commonly used to find a point some fraction of the way along a line between two endpoints (e.g. to move an object gradually between those points).

When t = 0 returns a. When t = 1 returns b. When t = 0.5 returns the point midway between a and b.

Sorry to go off topic but i thought i would mention incase anyone else was interested.

and then we find this in the same file:

<!--entity_class name="driveablecar">

<property name="Mesh" value="Vehicles/car03_blue_dmg0_Prefab"/>

<property name="ModelType" value="Custom"/>

<property name="Prefab" value="Car"/>

<property name="Class" value="EntityDriveableCar"/>

<property name="Parent" value="Cars"/>

<property name="MaxHealth" value="1000"/>

<property name="Weight" value="1200"/>

<property name="SurfaceCategory" value="metal"/>

<property name="LootListAlive" value="19"/>

<property name="IsEnemyEntity" value="false"/>

<property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="6"/>

<property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="6"/>

<property name="Explosion.RadiusEntities" value="6"/>

</entity_class-->

But, this was in the A16.3 entityclasses.xml too, so is not that new. In fact, just checked A15.1 entityclasses.xml, it's in that one too.

What if you were to uncomment them?

Last year a few of us got a working driveable car.

That is to say, it was a completely UNDRIVEABLE car!

It didn't steer worth a damn and was really terrible. Also, as someone mentioned, the map doesn't need a car.

It's just not big enough.

The GyroCopter is what's going to get people excited.

• 8 months later...

Archived