Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I haven't posted anything in a while, partially because my computer has been down and I have been too busy peeking through the blinds at TFP headquarters, but I have a genius idea I could not keep to myself.

With immersion in mind and in the spirit of the newly refreshed debuff system, I propose female characters get a bleeding debuff every 3 in-game weeks that start after one blood moon and end at the conclusion of the next blood moon. To balance this out, the night of the blood moon and last night of the bleeding debuff, women characters are undetected by zombies (for obvious reasons unless feminine products or hygiene is added).

This may be the beverages talking, but I think I nailed it on the head with this one! Huh?

BTW my wife would give me a concussion debuff if she knew I posted this.

i'm curious about the behavior of the digging zombies when you are above ground. if being above ground turned off their need to dig then I'm all for it. i think it would be better and easier to have cave systems and have zeds spawn in them and eliminate diggers all together.

We will probably be trying it out on dogs. Basically they will just dig on their current block or adjacent block, but it depends on how it looks. The target will need to be mostly under them.

The path grid generates on terrain like anything else, so caves should be fine, but have not tested on tunnels yet.

I would like them to dig at least 2 blocks down so zombies can drop into the hole and start digging forward under base walls. Then we should have the breacher zombies ( in late stage) to blow up under said base walls.

MTFGA

A VOXEL game made in Unity is not going to look like Far Cry 5 which is not a VOXEL game or made using Unity.

The key thing you should be taking from this is VOXEL. You should use a VOXEL game as a comparator when setting expectations

Oh really, not going to happen you say? We shall see.

If 7DTD is your primary game and you bought a 1080Ti, then you wasted your money.

Simple as that.

I mean, I want to upgrade my 980Ti to a 1080, but I don't expect the dev's to update the graphics of 7DTD just because I bought a powerful GPU. I use that card for games that need it/benefit from it.

No I didn't buy a GTX 1080 Ti just for 7DTD but even if I did it wasn't a waste of money we will have a photorealistic graphics pack sooner than you think.

Bigger! We have textures atlases as big as 8k.

Thank you for the confirmation good sir, I know you guys are hesitant to give dates which is understandable but would you at least confirm that you intend at some point to release said 4k and 8k textures for use by us hungry hungry hippos?

I would like them to dig at least 2 blocks down so zombies can drop into the hole and start digging forward under base walls. Then we should have the breacher zombies ( in late stage) to blow up under said base walls.

MTFGA

I think trying to find reasons to make an above ground fort at all should be addressed first.

Zombies without useful loot most of the time.

Zombies that will target key structures.

The Risk vs Rewards is completely absurd for the "Dead is Dead" players.

Then there's no problems deep underground...

Well, actually there is a super duper graphics pack which is set to be released later this year by Mojang and will contain 4K Texture :)

Oh boy I hope they have been working on improved multi CPU support as well because a 4k graphics pack is going to absolutely wreck their current game engine.

From what I understand the only reason the game runs as well as it does now while being heavily modded is because they added in VBO (Vertex Buffer Objects) support.

@faatal @roland

A few week ago, in the context of improving AI, it was said that zombies are now able to break blocks, I believe it was faatal who gave the news. Now we are discussing digging zombies and I read that only dogs, at first, may be able to dig.

I don't understand. If zeds are able to break blocks, then they are able to dig, aren't they? What's the difference? Breaking blocks equals digging, right?

The only thing I can think of is that you give them the ability to destroy your base, but not dig underground. In such case, what would happen if I built a dirt base? Would they not be able to destroy it?

@faatal @roland

A few week ago, in the context of improving AI, it was said that zombies are now able to break blocks, I believe it was faatal who gave the news. Now we are discussing digging zombies and I read that only dogs, at first, may be able to dig.

To me, this does not make sense. If zeds are able to break blocks, then they are able to dig, aren't they? What's the difference?

The only thing I can think of is that you give them the ability to destroy your base, but not dig underground. In such case, what would happen if I built a dirt base? Would they not be able to destroy it? Or would they ignore it?

Its more of a reach thing. Zombies cant reach the ground because they refuse to bend over (Years spent in the prison system probably did that).

s’okay. I’ve actually been giggling for the last 15 minutes thinking about 3-4 zombie bears digging down and me in my bunker hearing their roars getting closer and seeing dirt and stone particles raining down from the ceiling.

Survival horror in spades. :)

You have no idea how badly I want it to be true, no place should be safe, especially underground bases because IMO it is nothing but an exploit and totally ruins the game. In fact I wish that mob's got a damage bonus to everything when they are 10 blocks under standard world level, that way people can't just hide in a hole and avoid everything all the time.

Yeah, how on Earth would bears find me underground? Smell? I don't think so if we are several stone blocks apart...

I want to be safe when I am hidden. Zombies having a gps to my position is so stupid.

If you don't like being safe underground, just do not build there.

Fixed a bunch of ugliness with rabbits and chickens. They now move and animate (cross fade) nicely.

I discovered they both have a second idle anim, which was only shown for one frame and then jumped to idle 1.

DOH! I guess that's what happens when someone tosses you the keys to the vintage car you are test driving with the intention to buy and the guy says don't wreck it.

You have no idea where it has been or what has been done to it, for all you know it is a mechanical death trap nightmare coffin on wheels and you are going to die 10 second into your test drive when the entire front end suspension detaches from the frame because the guy used grade 2 bolts instead of grade 8. O.o

No but seriously I know it is very difficult to say the least getting handed someone else's work and being asked to fix/improve it.

I wonder how many times you have had to scrap something and completely rewrite it from scratch for it to be viable for the current game design parameters.

You have a tough job sir and my hat is off to you.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't posted anything in a while, partially because my computer has been down and I have been too busy peeking through the blinds at TFP headquarters, but I have a genius idea I could not keep to myself.

With immersion in mind and in the spirit of the newly refreshed debuff system, I propose female characters get a bleeding debuff every 3 in-game weeks that start after one blood moon and end at the conclusion of the next blood moon. To balance this out, the night of the blood moon and last night of the bleeding debuff, women characters are undetected by zombies (for obvious reasons unless feminine products or hygiene is added).

This may be the beverages talking, but I think I nailed it on the head with this one! Huh?

BTW my wife would give me a concussion debuff if she knew I posted this.

ROFL!

Yeah, how on Earth would bears find me underground? Smell? I don't think so if we are several stone blocks apart...

I want to be safe when I am hidden. Zombies having a gps to my position is so stupid.

If you don't like being safe underground, just do not build there.

Currently scouts have a GPS location on your base and it is their sole purpose to ruin your day.

Sleeper zombies now spawn when you are well outside of a volume (and when they would not be visible to you in any direction). Now you may still find a zombie behind you in a room you though you cleared, but most like it will be from a guy dropping from a ceiling opening you did not notice. ;)

That's good news! It's always bothered me to see zombies popping up at places I know to be empty.

Could something be done outside as well? Like when a screamer shouts and zombies appear around my base... Generally making them spawn further away and walk towards it would be so much more beliveable.

With the "breadcrumbs" system possibly coming, could it also mark a path in the world that cancels out spawning? It would decay at a reasonable rate but yet again would prevent spawning somewhere where it shouldn't. (or maybe there already is something similar in the game?)

Currently scouts have a GPS location on your base and it is their sole purpose to ruin your day.

No, their behavior is based on heatmap. So if you want to hide underground you can hide. Just turn off all your appliances so they cannot hear you.

You want digging zombies? Awesome! But with no heat they should not find you, they shouldn't even know that you exist.

-snip-

Now you may still find a zombie behind you in a room you though you cleared, but most like it will be from a guy dropping from a ceiling opening you did not notice. ;)

There are some interesting implications behind this thought, so currently this can happen and there is no sound associated with the impact and you have no idea that a zombie just fell from one story up and is now behind you preparing to snack on your delectable brains. My thoughts on this are that there should be an impact noise from the fall, on wood there should be a thumping sound, on tile there should be a slapping sound, you get the idea, furthermore the zombie should grunt and possibly break his leg which would mean there would be a snapping sound, so I guess the question is can we expect this type of immersive surround sound in the future?

- - - Updated - - -

No, their behavior is based on heatmap. So if you want to hide underground you can hide. Just turn off all your appliances so they cannot hear you.

You want digging zombies? Awesome! But with no heat they should not find you, they shouldn't even know that you exist.

I understand that, I was attempting to be glib and mess with the OP, I know it probably doesn't make any sense to you but it doesn't have to. Thanks for the fact check though. :p

It's all be about having fun.

TFP HAVE to make a game that is fun for themselves or they will have problems guessing what is fun.

Allowing mods (Edit: and game options or settings) to change some or all aspects of the game is the answer for people who feel fun is different than what TFP does.

It has to be that way or you end up with a messed up game that no one likes.

@The Fun Pimps

This game has the potential to be the greatest post apocalyptic thriller of all time, there is no reason to ever move on and stop developing this game it could be improved upon forever, in fact pay to play and expansion packs for the game should be the business model until the end of time.

Never stop improving, never stop reaching for the ultimate, strive to become the next WoW, in The Fun Pimps we trust!

Be Unity's flagship game developer, give them a reason to push the limits of what is possible.

I will pay a monthly fee to play this game forever, bring it on!

@The Fun Pimps

This game has the potential to be the greatest post apocalyptic thriller of all time, there is no reason to ever move on and stop developing this game it could be improved upon forever, in fact pay to play and expansion packs for the game should be the business model until the end of time.

Never stop improving, never stop reaching for the ultimate, strive to become the next WoW, in The Fun Pimps we trust!

Be Unity's flagship game developer, give them a reason to push the limits of what is possible.

I will pay a monthly fee to play this game forever, bring it on!

as i know tfp will never follow this post. I will never pay to play. if they do yuo just volunteered to pay everyones monthly fee lol

as i know tfp will never follow this post. I will never pay to play. if they do yuo just volunteered to pay everyones monthly fee lol

Never say never, you don't know what you will be willing to do if this turns out to be the greatest post apocalyptic game of all time.

Even if you do refuse to pay to play you will be missing out because there are a lot of people that will be willing.

Nothing is impossible it is only highly improbable.

-Spock

Never say never, you don't know what you will be willing to do if this turns out to be the greatest post apocalyptic game of all time.

Even if you do refuse to pay to play you will be missing out because there are a lot of people that will be willing.

Nothing is impossible it is only highly improbable.

-Spock

Then I will happily miss out on the greatest apocalyptic game ever if I have to pay to play lol. I know for a fact I wont be crying or anything for not playing a pay to play game regardless how good it is.

Its a good way to lose money. If this game however started as a pay to play more understandable. But it wasn't you pay 29.00 and the game is yours. Dlc may or may not cost.

@faatal @roland

I don't understand. If zeds are able to break blocks, then they are able to dig, aren't they? What's the difference? Breaking blocks equals digging, right?

The only thing I can think of is that you give them the ability to destroy your base, but not dig underground. In such case, what would happen if I built a dirt base? Would they not be able to destroy it?

What??

Maybe there is a language barrier here. Breaking blocks does not equal digging. Digging is a subset of breaking blocks. Zombies have always been able to break blocks. You can make a wall out of any block, and if a zombie wants to get there, the zombie will attack the wall until blocks are broken.

Archived