Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

#fixwater

That's easier said than done. How would you do it? What systems would you implement?

Assuming you're using a water-source block (which isn't the only solution) what rules would govern the flow and spread of water from the block? Remember, your maths has to be quick enough that it doesn't slow the rest of the game to a crawl.

How about rivers? By far the most challenging.

Where would a river start? It looks pretty obvious on a map, you have a catchment area where water is funneled to a natural spring. How would you determine where that spring is on the game map? Are you going to try and pick out natural bowls with computer vision software or a cruder version with gradient measuring? This must be done in memory as you aren't going to have every inch of the map rendered in game and must be done pretty fast, the players will complain if the map takes too long to generate.

How does the river end? In nature it's either a lake or a sea but how would you determine what area of the game map to turn into a lake?

It's a little more complicated than hashtag-fixwater.

That's easier said than done. How would you do it? What systems would you implement?

Assuming you're using a water-source block (which isn't the only solution) what rules would govern the flow and spread of water from the block? Remember, your maths has to be quick enough that it doesn't slow the rest of the game to a crawl.

Where would a river start? It looks pretty obvious on a map, you have a catchment area where water is funneled to a natural spring. How would you determine where that spring is on the game map? Are you going to try and pick out natural bowls with computer vision software or a cruder version with gradient measuring? This must be done in memory as you aren't going to have every inch of the map rendered in game and must be done pretty fast, the players will complain if the map takes too long to generate.

How does the river end? In nature it's either a lake or a sea but how would you determine what area of the game map to turn into a lake?

Well, current water is very bad... minecraft water would be good enough for me. Anything more would be golden..

What we need for sure is an aquatic update with boats, underwater creatures and POIs

Well, current water is very bad... minecraft water would be good enough for me. Anything more would be golden..

What we need for sure is an aquatic update with boats, underwater creatures and POIs

The minecraft system isn't particularly wonderful, it can have its... oddities. If memory serves the minecraft map generator doesn't even attempt to do rivers.

It would be a lot of work to implement the minecraft system of water only to rip it out again and replace it with something better. I'd rather be patient and have a good water system, if I know the pimps they're always aiming for something a little better than minecraft.

The minecraft system isn't particularly wonderful, it can have its... oddities. If memory serves the minecraft map generator doesn't even attempt to do rivers.

It would be a lot of work to implement the minecraft system of water only to rip it out again and replace it with something better. I'd rather be patient and have a good water system, if I know the pimps they're always aiming for something a little better than minecraft.

Yes it does generate rivers!

otuBCqZ.jpg

However water physics and world generations are separate things...

I like minecraft water for 2 reasons: item transportation and water regeneration

When you remove a block of water from a lake in 7 days to die, the hole is not filled again. Which results in a visually ugly hole in the water

Is that because the spam-bot will delete posters with a post count >= 20000?

-A

Y'all are all looking at it wrong anyway... it's not post count, it's % of the overall post count. Right now I'm at 2.22%, I need to hit 3% before a17 drops.

Easiest way maybe is a water biome/sub biome

new water biome has water source (spring /cave etc.) then random river path. Force connect to 2nd water biome chance of another riverbiome without source - meld river anchors together and contine or chance of Lake = end of river. Surrounding terrain taken from adjacent biomes or if water is a sub biome, the parent biome.

something like this:

Plus if you add a random water level to each biome and add caverns, it would give the danger of flooding while digging :) needing water pumps to drain the water.

Yes it does generate rivers!

otuBCqZ.jpg

However water physics and world generations are separate things...

I like minecraft water for 2 reasons: item transportation and water regeneration

When you remove a block of water from a lake in 7 days to die, the hole is not filled again. Which results in a visually ugly hole in the water

I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure Minecraft does not, actually, have rivers. When two biomes come together there is a transitional biome- beach if it's between an ocean biome and a non-ocean biome, when the transitional biome has areas below a certain point, water is formed.

This could be out of date, but vanilla minecraft does not actually generate rivers as distinct geological/geographical features, as far as I remember.

MM said that with the new Unity Engine the game is getting 'all new physics'.

That is supposed to fix the mini bike falling through the world issue.

I do wonder if these new physics will effect water in a positive way as well.

Someone please ask @faatal to **NOT** Share daily update on AI improvement. It just make me more and more hyped. I feel like I play it already. Don't tease that hard man.

I didn't tell you yesterday that I optimized the path grid update, when a single block changes, so it is 30x to 100x faster.

MM said that with the new Unity Engine the game is getting 'all new physics'.

That is supposed to fix the mini bike falling through the world issue.

I do wonder if these new physics will effect water in a positive way as well.

Well, technically the vehicle physics were redone to use Unity's physics system, which is basically what Unity has had for years. Unity does use PhysX, which gets regular updates, so it is newer that the previous Unity physics. Water does its own thing, so should not change from the changes I mentioned. Follow that?

About water

Now I don't know what the devs are doing with water but I did find some cool videos by Unity that I posted below.

What (could) happen.

1. UNITY 3D Aquas Water Teck Demo

Watch at 2:00 to see water physics inside of buildings.

Watch to very end to see boat floating on a lake.

2. Also see this video for fish in water with day/night cycle.

3. Polywater - Unity water shader (quick demo)

4. Finally see Unity: AQUAS River Tutorial - Making Rivers, by GodlessReason

River flow view starts around 8:25 but I recommend that you watch the whole video.

I don't know about you but my jaw hit the floor when I saw this stuff.

Well, technically the vehicle physics were redone to use Unity's physics system, which is basically what Unity has had for years. Unity does use PhysX, which gets regular updates, so it is newer that the previous Unity physics. Water does its own thing, so should not change from the changes I mentioned. Follow that?

Absolutely! :)

Thank you for the response!

Archived