Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Wanderings wonder at the position you were at when they spawned. Move around a lot.

Makes no sense to have them wander just to wander, when no player is nearby.

It would be nice to have a random offset to the target spawn though.

Some one done woke up Crater Creator!

I’ve been working on his AI...

Thanks Roland. But what about if you overhydrate? Say like your at 95% hydration and you drink some goldenrod tea which is good for 40%.

Will overhydrating keep your stamina maxed out for awhile?

Thanks Roland. But what about if you overhydrate? Say like your at 95% hydration and you drink some goldenrod tea which is good for 40%.

Will overhydrating keep your stamina maxed out for awhile?

Hydration controls how quickly your stamina and hp replenish. It doesn’t effect the level of your max stamina or max health. If you are at 100% on water then after sprinting you’ll recover your stamina at the fastest rate. 30% means the stamina will refill more slowly. Overhydration wouldn’t do anything.

Eating gets your max stamina up to 100% and if you overeat I have no idea if that would keep you at 100% longer or not.

Just like anything those who just play and don’t worry about the levels of the bars overly and just eat a good meal twice a day will do fine with the new system and those who obsess over the bar levels and adopt it as the new core game will come on the forums and complain saying that the game is unplayable without eating all the time because they can’t function unless their bars are consistently topped out....

Edited by Roland (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hydration controls how quickly your stamina and hp replenish. It doesn’t effect the level of your max stamina or max health. If you are at 100% on water then after sprinting you’ll recover your stamina at the fastest rate. 30% means the stamina will refill more slowly. Overhydration wouldn’t do anything.

Eating gets your max stamina up to 100% and if you overeat I have no idea if that would keep you at 100% longer or not.

Just like anything those who just play and don’t worry about the levels of the bars overly and just eat a good meal twice a day will do fine with the new system and those who obsess over the bar levels and adopt it as the new core game will come on the forums and complain saying that the game is unplayable without eating all the time because they can’t function unless their bars are consistently topped out....

But what about Thursdays Roland? What if every Thursday I drink 2 water, 1 gold rod tea, and eat 2 vegetable stews while standing 21.3 feet from a Trader? What then Roland?

I'm not going to even go into my Friday routine until you can answer that question.

• Like 1

Roland, I gotta say this has me excited, playing different playthroughs, different maps where you play as one style and that is it, playing as a nomad has become easier to do with this system, or even a brute that only goes around killing zombies and doesnt build, but always on the road looking to end the apocolypse, will be fun, what type do you find yourself playing as?

Boomer was my favorite. Stuck with Hawaii 5-0 for as long as I could stomach but ultimately it wasn't worth it. ;)

Sadly Grace Park has been implicated in the NXIVM brouhaha. Her exact involvement is unknown but she may have participated in the more shady stuff.

What do you guys think of a special zombie spawning on the place of your dead buddy during a MP game, or your body in SP? Could set the condition that the death has to be from a zombie (unless this game follows TWD rules?). Could make base defense interesting for the pit trap guys if one of their friends got careless and died and a zombie/mini boss spawns inside the base.

What do you guys think of a special zombie spawning on the place of your dead buddy during a MP game, or your body in SP? Could set the condition that the death has to be from a zombie (unless this game follows TWD rules?). Could make base defense interesting for the pit trap guys if one of their friends got careless and died and a zombie/mini boss spawns inside the base.

That would be an interesting mod. It would sort of mimic them turning into a zombie on death. :)

So I’ve been wondering, do zombies do damage to other zombies?

I’ve been in numerous situations where I’ve watched a zombie wail on another zombie but it’s never been clear if they are actually doing damage. I would expect them to, but I'm really not sure. If not, why not?

Edited by Professor-Pip
Spelling (see edit history)

@Rolands

Is there any big features that has yet to be revealed for A17?

Someone please ask @faatal to **NOT** Share daily update on AI improvement. It just make me more and more hyped. I feel like I play it already. Don't tease that hard man.

- - - Updated - - -

@Rolands

Ability for Fan to play :)... aka game release to us.

No more Q and A? That was such a great way to interact with the fans and answer the many questions that the majority of us may have! Anyway we can get a few more of those? Also I remember seeing more of a interview type videos In the past on youtube. I think it was Joel's brother maybe?

This sounds good to me. Even a ravenous pack of animals seems to be aware that it's seldom productive to waste all their energy bumping into each other. The block could be flagged as 'in use', or the zombie could make a bigger invisible 'hole' that extends in front of itself for purposes of the other zombies' pathfinding. Heck, that would be nice when they're just wandering, too.

Even most insects will target the weaker joints of an enemy.

They often will avoid the stingers of the enemy.

And that's with a brain as big as this -> .

So, if the Amygdala, the size of your fist, is mostly intact, then you could have a formidable opponent! If that is the lore, then not every zombie should be violent.

@Rolands

There's at least one that hasn't been talked about that I think is going to make it into A17. There are others that may or may not make it in. Many of the already listed features have more details to them that haven't been revealed.

I did some research into this and I believe it’s okay to share since the system has been revealed. Keep in mind that some of these particulars could change after some testing.

There are three levels of injury:

1) current HP: this works as it does now. Your health bar will deplete as you take injury and if it reaches zero you die/pass out (however you like to think of it). HP recovery back to your current max is accomplished by pain pills, eating, and time. Players will have a natural recovery rate that is affected by thirst.

2) current max HP: a percentage of damage you incur will damage your current max HP. This represents lasting bruises and cuts. You can recover this damage using bandages and first aid kits as well as natural regeneration as long as your current HP = your current max.

3) Fortitude damage: This damage lowers your total possible HP and is incurred by debuffs such as a broken bone. This damage can only be repaired by doing whatever is necessary to remove the debuff.

Example:

As a high level character my total possible HP is 145. During the recent Horde night I took several injuries that lowered my HP to 50 and my max HP to 95. On top of that I broke my arm and got a deep gouge requiring a splint and stitches respectively which gave me a fortitude penalty so that now my highest total possible is only 120 until I apply the splint and stitches and give it some time.

Many thanks for the (lengthy) explanation! Appreciated!

Someone please ask @faatal to **NOT** Share daily update on AI improvement. It just make me more and more hyped. I feel like I play it already. Don't tease that hard man.

I have a better idea. You go read a different forum and those of us here in the dev diary will continue reading diary entries from the devs.

In testing, with the current state of the game, I have to make noise or be seen for zombies to come at me. Otherwise they wander, which does not allow block destruction in that mode.

Awesome! No more random destruction :) Only the one that I cause, that is..

Just the basic AI improvements faatal has posted about , make me want to play A17 a lot more then the other stuff shown so far...

No more zombies randomly beating a house up because they didn't like the color? that right there was one of the things that always bugged

me the most...zombies just running thru a town and smashing their way thru a house for no real reason...if they actually path around now

instead or just wander...that will be one of the best improvements right there...

A new ways of building will be needed, I have to say good bye to my one man country style cabin..style of building.

Thank you for info devs.

I've had a few hordes pass by my house (not much fortification really, just some wooden wall upgrades and spikes here and there) a couple of times where the zombies didnt attack unless provoked. Maybe I'm just lucky, or they dislike fences.

I’ve been working on his AI...

I should have more time for the forum after Smash Monsters shut down today. :bi_polo:

Part of me wants faatal's posts to be wrapped in spoiler tags, since figuring out exactly how the zombies work is a significant part of the game.

• Like 1