Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

To Roland and TFP's

I wanted to ask. Are all the house going to be changed into dungeon crawls?

If so this would not make since. Because most people would not have a chance to stockpile a house and build many rooms, set up traps and such.

Plus some people would only have simple dwellings.

I would just think that it would be better if (some) of the house were pre-Alpha 17.

Just something to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

There are an estimated 53 or 54 unique level designed POI's coming to A17 with randomized containers and sleepers. I think that it will take a bit of time to memorize all of those.

Wow. That sounds great! :)

Some people want POI even more randomised like every POI being glued together from parts of random rooms. I know.

That, however is super-unlikely to happen. Sounds nice in theory but may actually make POI more generic because you have to balance parts to be largely similar.

It's also a huge effort creating every single POI 3 or 4 times in total.

What y'all are more likely to get: Mod support to plug in tons of user-prefabs... that hopefully meet similar quality standards.

I’m sure we’ll have collections of quality POIs by modders. The whole game is built to encourage modders input.

To Roland and TFP's

I wanted to ask. Are all the house going to be changed into dungeon crawls?

no.

If so this would not make since. Because most people would not have a chance to stockpile a house and build many rooms, set up traps and such.

Plus some people would only have simple dwellings.

I would just think that it would be better if (some) of the house were pre-Alpha 17.

exactly.

Just something to think about.

already did. :)

There are an estimated 53 or 54 unique level designed POI's coming to A17 with randomized containers and sleepers. I think that it will take a bit of time to memorize all of those.

Thats impressive actually -Thanks for the info. Will there be new regular POIs as well or is this Alpha all dungeon style?

Im a bit sad that we will lose some regular pois because it sounds like a conversion, not new.

Those eight words are lazy, dismissive, apathetic, and generic enough to invoke in response to any perceived problem. It’s getting old. At least other empty statements like “It is what it is,” and “Meh” don’t tell people what to do.

I'm not telling people what to do, I'm saying they don't have to do it.

Can't have the argument work for ONE thing (skyscraper parkouring) and not another (living underground). It just doesn't work that way.

Can't have the argument work for ONE thing (skyscraper parkouring) and not another (living underground). It just doesn't work that way.

If you dont like leveled loot then dont loot

Tee-hee-he

there's a path through the house, if that upsets you... does it upset you there are roads in towns? how dare they have cities with paths going all over the city! Blasphemous!

For me the skyscrapers are a bit underwhelming because there is only ONE path. Notice the difference to paths in a city, i.e. many paths leading to the same place.

This isn't noticable in small houses most of the time, but in the skyscrapers I see three disadvantages:

1) No possibility to get lost. You want to get out? Just go back, you are on a one-way street. Luckily there are a few dead-ends, maybe there should be more. I would prefer real labyrinths, and real labyrinths have lots of dead-ends and loops (to defeat right-hand rule)

2) Loss of immersion. The longer the funnel, the more you are aware of the artificiality of it.

3) As long as there are no dead ends you forgot to clear or respawns happening the chance of zombies in your back is pretty minimal. Longer dead-end and especially more loops please.

So, I just returned from a Russian retirement party...

Most there were probably smarter than me.

About a third traveled as much as me.

Maybe my English was a little better than some.

But the take away was they agreed that I had a "Infectious Happy" going on.

So, I will no long reply to anything that might damage my happy... Which is about half the comments. For the sake of international relations... and world peace... God Bless America.

Thats impressive actually -Thanks for the info. Will there be new regular POIs as well or is this Alpha all dungeon style?

Not sure. There may be some new ones not designed as dungeons.

Im a bit sad that we will lose some regular pois because it sounds like a conversion, not new.

Did a few too many of your open-faced sandwiches land buttered side down when you were a kid? 54 new POIs will be added to the pool. Navezgane will most likely end up converted since it’s a static world but RandomGen will be random.

So, I just returned from a Russian retirement party...

Most there were probably smarter than me.

About a third traveled as much as me.

Maybe my English was a little better than some.

But the take away was they agreed that I had a "Infectious Happy" going on.

So, I will no long reply to anything that might damage my happy... Which is about half the comments. For the sake of international relations... and world peace... God Bless America.

Positiveness is always good. Replay to every comment with smile :)

Ps: season pass will include more cheerleader skins!

This is a non issue. Like underground living, if you don't like it don't do it.

Don't Do It!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChjLMbXVrU

MTFGA

Coughs * VIDEO * Coughs

You could just back up the current prefabs folder, and find the ones that get replaced, rename the old version, and then add them back in to the mix. This would be quite easy for Random Gen usage.

UNLESS, block changes make them incompatible (must take that into account).

Those are not the same arguments at all so of course you can have it work with one and not the other.

I've never seen the new dungeon POI's as having a set way to tackle them. Most of the rest of the building is locked down, but you can break thru the emergency gates if you want to. Following the torches gives me a sense that other survivors once used the building and had a set way to get to their top of the building lair. So, you could reinvent the wheel by breaking your own way up, or you can follow the path laid down by past survivors. It gives the feeling that there are others out there like yourself, just scraping by in this dangerous new world.

Those are not the same arguments at all so of course you can have it work with one and not the other.

Do the parkour path. It's the way the devs want it played. Using other methods to bypass the dangers is an exploit.

...sound familiar? Same argument.

Do the parkour path. It's the way the devs want it played. Using other methods to bypass the dangers is an exploit.

...sound familiar? Same argument.

No. At least my argument isn't similar to that. I know that isn't Roland's argument. I want underground dangers for MY gameplay not to stop others from the way they play. I don't care how other people play. BUT, no danger underground leaves a LOT of the world with no dangers and therefore boring. Water is the same. Danger there would be a good addition also.

Parkour the skyscrapers, don't parkour them, I don't really care but BOTH of those options are in the game right now. That isn't true for having a fun underground threat.

Following the torches gives me a sense that other survivors once used the building and had a set way to get to their top of the building lair.

Actually not a bad rationalization. I'll try to remember it the next time I raid the book tower.

No. At least my argument isn't similar to that. I know that isn't Roland's argument. I want underground dangers for MY gameplay not to stop others from the way they play. I don't care how other people play. BUT, no danger underground leaves a LOT of the world with no dangers and therefore boring. Water is the same. Danger there would be a good addition also.

Parkour the skyscrapers, don't parkour them, I don't really care but BOTH of those options are in the game right now. That isn't true for having a fun underground threat.

And I want the parkour for MY gameplay.

See? :)

For me the skyscrapers are a bit underwhelming because there is only ONE path. Notice the difference to paths in a city, i.e. many paths leading to the same place.

This isn't noticable in small houses most of the time, but in the skyscrapers I see three disadvantages:

1) No possibility to get lost. You want to get out? Just go back, you are on a one-way street. Luckily there are a few dead-ends, maybe there should be more. I would prefer real labyrinths, and real labyrinths have lots of dead-ends and loops (to defeat right-hand rule)

2) Loss of immersion. The longer the funnel, the more you are aware of the artificiality of it.

3) As long as there are no dead ends you forgot to clear or respawns happening the chance of zombies in your back is pretty minimal. Longer dead-end and especially more loops please.

if you follow the skyscrapers path, yeah... 1 way, you could always just go straight up by nerd poling, you could just axe your way through a different route but the destination is still the same because its a tower. i would love a basement or sub basement where theres the real nasty zombies spawn regardless of your game stage (gated somehow, of course)

There are different routes to take to get to your destination, be creative if you dont want to follow the normal path. think everyone here has done it with most/all pois

i would love real labyrinths... walls you cant break either... or some sort of puzzle to figure out to get the big loot stash

And I want the parkour for MY gameplay.

See? :)

No, because I don't recall anyone asking to have parkour removed or to force you to use it? The current game status is that BOTH of those work. That is not true for those of us that want underground threats. We have no option to play underground without ignoring the survival aspect of the game the entire time we are there. In your argument both ways to play the skyscrapers are currently in game. Do you see the difference?

Archived