Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

...We are currently in alpha and as such...there are now two DLC's on the way that will cost money ...."Season Pass"...

SMH

This just in, according to Roland you can get the DLC that's on the way by purchasing the season pass. Don't worry about the rest of the text I omitted that was just filler. RABBLE!

If they do a season pass I'd get one for sure.

Id buy the season pass if it contains emotionally stirring content such as

-Wainscotting Blocks

-New Main Menu

-Additional Deer Skins

-Climbable Trellaces

-Sticky arrows that u cant pick up

-Shoehorned "dungeon" POI's with expected paths which defeat the purpose of open worlds

and etc, you know, awesome stuff like those

-Shoehorned "dungeon" POI's with expected paths which defeat the purpose of open worlds

Seeing as how any of the dungeon pathways can be bypassed in a number of creative ways and also given that there is freedom to enter any POI at any player created entry point I’m going to have to call you out on this ridiculous statement.

I don’t think “shoehorned” means what you think it means....

Seeing as how any of the dungeon pathways can be bypassed in a number of creative ways and also given that there is freedom to enter any POI at any player created entry point I’m going to have to call you out on this ridiculous statement.

I don’t think “shoehorned” means what you think it means....

Shoehorned: Forced into an unnatural space.

Open world games = no set path

Dungeon Style POI's have "expected paths"

Im not claiming we will be forced to use the nice little tunnel sitting there waiting for us to enter with the pipe gas trap .I just think the concept is stupid for an open world game to have intended paths anywhere. These are gonna get old quick.

Edit, I can see the allure for a person who plays thru Navegane once and never plays again, but i think people who play alot are gonna find these POIs pretty boring/annoying after seeing them once

That's a shoehorn.

shoe-horn.jpg

Im not claiming we will be forced to use the nice little tunnel sitting there waiting for us to enter with the pipe gas trap .I just think the concept is stupid for an open world game to have intended paths anywhere. These are gonna get old quick.

If you don't want to come up with creative ways around / outside the "normal" path... that really is on you. =P

Dungeon Style POI's "expected paths"

I don't know. If there are zombies in the house they had to get in there some way, so a path isn't that inconceivable. Also, the people using the home as a base would have a way in and out. Seems more natural if the doors are bared and blockaded. I mean it doesn't make sense for every house or building, but some would. With signs of looting from other (no longer) survivors, they would make paths getting things from the buildings they searched.

Dungeon Style POI's have "expected paths"

Edit, I can see the allure for a person who plays thru Navegane once and never plays again, but i think people who play alot are gonna find these POIs pretty boring/annoying after seeing them once

Have to completely disagree with you. POIS NOW are completely boring. This will bring some flavor, especially if they are gamestaged and can be different each time.

Are you saying the effort shouldn't have been made? Do the POIs the way you like. The rest of us will enjoy NOT blazing through a POI in 20 seconds and ENJOY the game for once.

I simply can not see the complaint here.

That's a shoehorn.

shoe-horn.jpg

If you don't want to come up with creative ways around / outside the "normal" path... that really is on you. =P

Oh I will get around the intended path, What would be better is to have it randomized. and when i see a house exterior I dont say, ok there is a loose floorboard in the bedroom on level 2.. and a toxic gas trap when i enter tbe basement and turn left.

After one time seeing each POI...its back to a boring old POI. Wasted dev effort

Oh I will get around the intended path, What would be better is to it randomized. and when i see a house exterior I dont say, ok there is a loose floorboard in the bedroom on level 2.. and a toxic gas trap when i enter tbe basement and turn left.

But what if the layout and zombies are so tough that it takes several attempts to go through it. Then they take longer, and if there are 20 plus new ones it adds to the life of the update. Everything become passe at some point of course. The people that want to just nerd pole to the attic still can if they like.

That is, if the zombies don't magically despawn when you die. Then maybe I will agree with you. Can we get zombies to NOT despawn when you die? That would be really cool.

Dungeon Style POI's "expected paths"

See that operative word up there? It was the first word in your definition that invalidates your whole point. I highlighted it for you so you wouldn't miss it on your re-read. I'm glad you were able to look up the definition of "shoehorned" so you can abandon it as your metaphor. As I already pointed out there is nothing "forced" about them. How exactly will they "get old fast" if you can use crafted ladders, frame blocks, and/or chop your way around them at your whim? You really prefer bare rooms in which every sleeper is immediately noticeable? This is your definition of creepy and scary? If nothing else the added clutter and blind corners will make the sleepers a bit more of a scary experience.

If the dungeon pathways actually were forced upon us then I would agree with you 100%. But they aren't and your hyperbole only serves to confuse. I get that you are underwhelmed by a lot of A17. Its impossible to miss as you post about it every opportunity you get. But your pessimism is blinding you to something that is an improvement over the old empty POI's and your claims that the style of the POI layout prevents open world gameplay or forces any player to do anything they don't want to do is just plain wrong.

See that operative word up there? It was the first word in your definition that invalidates your whole point. I highlighted it for you so you wouldn't miss it on your re-read. I'm glad you were able to look up the definition of "shoehorned" so you can abandon it as your metaphor. As I already pointed out there is nothing "forced" about them. How exactly will they "get old fast" if you can use crafted ladders, frame blocks, and/or chop your way around them at your whim? You really prefer bare rooms in which every sleeper is immediately noticeable? This is your definition of creepy and scary? If nothing else the added clutter and blind corners will make the sleepers a bit more of a scary experience.

If the dungeon pathways actually were forced upon us then I would agree with you 100%. But they aren't and your hyperbole only serves to confuse. I get that you are underwhelmed by a lot of A17. Its impossible to miss as you post about it every opportunity you get. But your pessimism is blinding you to something that is an improvement over the old empty POI's and your claims that the style of the POI layout prevents open world gameplay or forces any player to do anything they don't want to do is just plain wrong.

I dont think im blind. pessimistic, yes. Your post and several of the others have some good points. I hope I am wrong, honestly. I guess i wouldnt waste dev effort on creating these intended paths thru POIs. Id rather the effort was on more more more pois, with random traps that add to a scary experience instead of adding to predictibility

By forced i meant putting pois with intended paths in an open game, they dont fit together.

I did not mean the path was forced onto me

Some people want POI even more randomised like every POI being glued together from parts of random rooms. I know.

That, however is super-unlikely to happen. Sounds nice in theory but may actually make POI more generic because you have to balance parts to be largely similar.

It's also a huge effort creating every single POI 3 or 4 times in total.

What y'all are more likely to get: Mod support to plug in tons of user-prefabs... that hopefully meet similar quality standards.

I miss the lonely POI, like a single gas station on a road in the middle of nowhere. It made them special. Can't remember the Alpha this used to occur but I do miss it.

Not talking about the random houses with the gravel trails either.

Are the wife and I the only players who started the skyscrapers from the top down? We built ladders to the top and then worked our way to the ground floor. That's pretty much how the wife and I handle most POIs.

Though it's obvious, in some cases, things are not designed with that in mind and we would generally appreciate there not being 10K damage blocks in weird places just to prevent it, we have generally been able to approach the POIs from odd directions so far. As long as the dungeon POIs still allow this I'm sure we will be happy.

By forced i meant putting pois with intended paths in an open game, they dont fit together.

I did not mean the path was forced onto me

Please look up the definition of forced, i think thats what you're missing.

there are no obligations, nothing limiting or blocking you in regards of those houses. you can, as you can in any open world game, do as you please to the house. break it down, cheese your way through, etc.

there's a path through the house, if that upsets you... does it upset you there are roads in towns? how dare they have cities with paths going all over the city! Blasphemous!

if you don't like it don't do it.

Those eight words are lazy, dismissive, apathetic, and generic enough to invoke in response to any perceived problem. It’s getting old. At least other empty statements like “It is what it is,” and “Meh” don’t tell people what to do.

there's a path through the house, if that upsets you... does it upset you there are roads in towns? how dare they have cities with paths going all over the city! Blasphemous!

Roads are Towns are randomized in an amazing way. I dare u to say the same about dungeon POIs

Those eight words are lazy, dismissive, apathetic, and generic enough to invoke in response to any perceived problem. It’s getting old. At least other empty statements like “It is what it is,” and “Meh” don’t tell people what to do.

It IS the best way to take a side without taking one. The problem with using a statement like that (in my opinion) is that if you apply it to any situation in gaming then you don't get any real progress towards any goal. I mean, I agree with it because sure if you don't like it then DON'T do it, but then you are confronted with the issue of never introducing any type of challenge to please EVERYONE.

- - - Updated - - -

Roads are Towns are randomized in am amazing way. I dare u to say the same about dungeon POIs

You MAY want to look up the word "amazing" too while you are there looking up "forced" Good yes, but not amazing....yet.

It IS the best way to take a side without taking one. The problem with using a statement like that (in my opinion) is that if you apply it to any situation in gaming then you don't get any real progress towards any goal. I mean, I agree with it because sure if you don't like it then DON'T do it, but then you are confronted with the issue of never introducing any type of challenge to please EVERYONE.

- - - Updated - - -

You MAY want to look up the word "amazing" too while you are there looking up "forced" Good yes, but not amazing....yet.

Best random towns and cities ive seen in any game, amazing. Lack of POIs of course but still... amazing

Best random towns and cities ive seen in any game, amazing. Lack of POIs of course but still... amazing

There are an estimated 53 or 54 unique level designed POI's coming to A17 with randomized containers and sleepers. I think that it will take a bit of time to memorize all of those.

Archived