Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Lots of cool stuff in the video, Madmole. I do hope as you overhaul the vehicle system, you're also refining the effects of what you're driving on or through. In particular, I suggest implementing:

1. A speed modifier for blocks, so you can drive through tall grass and bushes, but not at full speed.

2. A traction modifier for blocks, so that e.g. driving on asphalt or concrete > gravel > dirt > sand.

3. A better collision simulation, where if you run over a cinder block, both objects take some damage and your speed is reduced, without necessarily coming to a complete stop if you're in a large vehicle.

In other words, now is a good time to think about the gameplay differences between roads and off-road driving. I'm also looking forward to hearing more about boats & water when you're ready. :)

The animations are looking great. Loved seeing the new bike and motorcycle. That off road vehicle is looking really bad ass. Can't wait on that one for sure. Drive-able cars squee!!!! I do have a question/request. Could you please put a separate audio control in game options for motorized things like the bikes, cars, chainsaw, auger so that we can turn them down? I couldn't tell what you were saying when you had the motor going at full speed on the bikes. And barely could tell what you said when full throttle on the car. As a streamer this is something much needed. I know many of us turn down our audio or avoid using those things in stream for this very reason. I am sure you would make a lot of people happy if a separate volume was added for that. Thanks so much for listening and hope it is something you find doable. Lastly thanks so much for the video and glimpse into the what is going on. It all looks awesome and has me ready for the HYPE train.

Total agree, the bikes, cars, the new animation looks Great! but the volume is a bit much. Hoping it can be turned down in the vehicles. Will the cars be in a17? I was thinking that they were for later, in a18.

The real question is , will Bicycles have upgrade slots and can you attach playing cards to make it sound like a motorcycle? ;)

Also , will there be any major wipeout with a bike involving high speed collisions with debris? can't remember how many times I ate ♥♥♥♥ flying off a bike in elementary school trying to ride over , or into stupid things...

plus...just have to say...

BOATS BITCHES!!!

Nice additions to the game, MM. I don't know about those cars.... They have a tendency to explode like a Pinto when a zombie hits one, will they still do that if you're driving one? Can see it now, run into a bear that goes all agro on you and KABOOM! :)

I hope you guys can release some of this by Christmas!

yep, he said boats. hopefully I can put a shopping basket on the back of the bicycle. hold like 8 items or so. and the car interact allows us to use the trunk.

now, he also said weapon mods. which ones?!?! more than just a flashlight I hope.

Here is an idea for the car. If it takes 4 people, and has a boot then, you can put 20 different items in it, but if you only have 2 people in the car then you can put 40 items in the car. Imagine going out on a raiding spree and then having to leave your friends behind because that extra case of ammo was more important!!! :-)

For some reason when people say boats I think of the scene from a James Bond (Roger Moore) flick where he drives it over the land. (Not the Lotus).

Boats means that the water will be fixed! I don't actually expect that they or the car will be in A17 but it would be nice.

I have some ideas on how I think water should work, which is essentially this:

* If the area of the surface of water is big enough it should be treated as if it has infinite volume, ie. if you take water from a block in it or put a block in it the it will have no overall affect. Same for putting water into the lake.

* If the surface area of the water is smaller than a certain size then taking or adding water will have an effect, raise or lower the level.

* Water will flow downhill.

This means that if you dig a channel to a large lake then it will fill that channel (over time) to the same level as the lake. If it is not a large lake then the water will eventually be leveled out over the new surface area.

It also means that if you accidentally dig your under ground base into the bottom of a lake, it will fill with water, but if you will be able to empty it if you isolate the base from the lake again.

Full buckets can be emptied into water and empty buckets filled from water.

I think I would use the block damage value to specify amount of water in the block, maxing out a 1000, being 1 for every litre. Which would be accurate. Buckets hold 10 litres, jars 1 litres. Water can be moved between items.

Plants would require water again.

All cars in the editor are green. They get randomized when you make a seed for a new game.

Thanks Madmole. :) I already knew that but thanks.

I only said that to give Roland a hard time. You know, like his avatar happened to turn green around the same time that you showed off the new houses. ;)

Player animations look really fluid. Did someone say boats!? This preview was pretty exciting, thanks MM!

I can't wait to see Madmole get his bike stuck on the many cinderblocks placed on all the roadways. ;)

..(lol car) you called it.

...Could you please put a separate audio control in game options for motorized things like the bikes, cars, chainsaw, auger so that we can turn them down? ... I am sure you would make a lot of people happy if a separate volume was added for that...

Yes, please :tickled_pink: and a bicycle bell.

Archived