Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I am a bit worried that the zombies going down only leads too boring waiting time until it rises again before we can finish them of. This is once we get better at combat of course. But from watching Kages stream last night it seemed he was getting a little bored sometimes from waiting 2-3 sec before finishing the zombie off. I am very happy you cut the time they lay on the ground

its a matter of getting used to it.. i objected at first but have gotten used to it and when zed goes down... i step in for 1-2 club shots and then step back to avoid any wild swings when it gets up... then i smack 1-2 more time after it rises and down it goes for the final count.

once people learn how to time everything, they will have no issue. i do melee and bow... i do not use any firearms at all and bows are not the best for long range... so thats why i prefer hand to hand.

thus in real life... i run around my victim chewing on his ankles. :) then he comes down to my level... but sometimes i have to jump up to reach his ankle.

Would love to see some work go in to zombie movement in the near future. Currently, and has been since i started in A8 its far too easy to kite zombies. I can certainly see the improved difficulty inside POI's which is nice, but be it anywhere outside and we can just run up and down a path and zombies will line-up for us - Hell, i even use that same method on horde nights via grain alcohol.

In addition, its far too easy for players to sit atop a POI on hordes nights - May i suggest zombie with wings :)

I just watched a night time, day 7 horde.

The players got wasted over and over, to the point that they stopped trying and just started to ape about.

The horde was entirely focussed on a single player, who was out of reach on the roof. A teammate was able to walk among the horde, pick up a backpack, and attack the horde without their attention ever turning away from the player on the roof.

There were well over a dozen Z's after they'd exhausted all their ammo (rockets included). This horde was not a trickle.

I just watched a night time, day 7 horde.

The players got wasted over and over, to the point that they stopped trying and just started to ape about.

The horde was entirely focussed on a single player, who was out of reach on the roof. A teammate was able to walk among the horde, pick up a backpack, and attack the horde without their attention ever turning away from the player on the roof.

There were well over a dozen Z's after they'd exhausted all their ammo (rockets included). This horde was not a trickle.

Whch streamer was it?

Some of us did not like the fact that they looked dead just laying there. I don't care either way.

Their reach is about the same as yours depending on what weapon you are using. People just have to learn the timing. I can hit a zombie and pull back before being hit all day long.

Since even melee weapons have different ranges, could that be added to the stat page like ranged weapons have a range? Or is it there and I just kept missing it? I know you can take good guesses by looking at it, like a sledgehammer would have a longer range than a knife or club, but sometimes it does get a bit annoying/frustrating when it does feel like you are having to get a lot closer than the zombies when essentially weapons should extend your reach beyond zombies attacks. Even having the melee stats showing a range would probably not fix that issue for a lot of people, but at least it's there and something simple to do.

Is there any plans on a swing hitting a zombie even if the reticle is not on the zombie? A few times I saw Games4kickz swing, the club would go through the zombies head, but because his reticle was off to the side a hair, it wouldn't connect. It was a massive frustration for him and makes sense that it should still connect even if not looking directly at the zombie. I could see that causing issues with hitting multiple zombies at once unless it was basically a first contact only takes damage.

Would love to see some work go in to zombie movement in the near future. Currently, and has been since i started in A8 its far too easy to kite zombies. I can certainly see the improved difficulty inside POI's which is nice, but be it anywhere outside and we can just run up and down a path and zombies will line-up for us - Hell, i even use that same method on horde nights via grain alcohol.

In addition, its far too easy for players to sit atop a POI on hordes nights - May i suggest zombie with wings :)

It will be interesting to see if that tactic still works. From watching kage's stream it was much harder dealing with just a hand full, especially once you throw in the vultures and wolves. :)

There's supposed to be a DestroyArea mode, so if a zombie can't get to you, they'll start going for the walls/supports. Supposed to eliminate just being able to sit somewhere they can't get to you. Maybe even have them get inside the base and attack from within so you can't take pot shots at them unless you then go inside to deal with it.

I'm sure faatal will work on that in the future, but as is, the AI is much better than it once was. Props to him and the future work he will be putting into it as time goes on.

We are already working on that. We have 2 new drop sounds that I am adding. There should be some art changes incoming.

Awesome! We are playing fortnite save the world, and while a lot of the drop imagery and sounds are over the top, they do make the events easier to detect.

Testers noticed it seemed to trickle weeks ago, but I have not had time to analyze BM spawn timing yet. Might try tomorrow.

Cool! We read about bases being wrecked, and using strong poi for defense is a practical early game strategy, I was hoping they'd have a tough time of it.

Instead, about 20 spike traps and maybe 20 rounds of ammo dealt with the horde.

They could have gotten lucky, or something could be off.

We also saw two guys just sit on a wood frame on a non horse night with no issue. . are there enough wandering zombies at night so there's still a significant threat? (They were on day 4 or 5, I think. )

I'm loving what I'm seeing, and I'll curse you every time I die because of the new ai and combat improvements... lol!

It will be interesting to see if that tactic still works. From watching kage's stream it was much harder dealing with just a hand full, especially once you throw in the vultures and wolves. :)

Watching ShadowFox's stream atm and they are doing just that, but without grain alcohol - Granted, its not on purpose ;)

That depends. It can go either way. Some people complaining about it being too hard can drive others to try it to prove they can beat it.

We also have 2 easier difficulty levels and zombies running at night could be turned off.

Cool. As long as we take care of our newborn zombie hunters I'm happy!

Since even melee weapons have different ranges, could that be added to the stat page like ranged weapons have a range? Or is it there and I just kept missing it? I know you can take good guesses by looking at it, like a sledgehammer would have a longer range than a knife or club, but sometimes it does get a bit annoying/frustrating when it does feel like you are having to get a lot closer than the zombies when essentially weapons should extend your reach beyond zombies attacks. Even having the melee stats showing a range would probably not fix that issue for a lot of people, but at least it's there and something simple to do.

I just took a look and zombie hand attack ranges are typically 1.65m. Every weapon and tool I saw are 2-3m range. Zombies do not have a range advantage.

I just took a look and zombie hand attack ranges are typically 1.65m. Every weapon and tool I saw are 2-3m range. Zombies do not have a range advantage.

That's what I was thinking, I figured they didn't. Good to know the range we have compared to them though. I'll have to figure out how that .35m looks and judge it from there, lol.

Alpha 17 First impressions

-snip-

The zombies seem OP to me. I can understand that they are tuff but when they are walking around with four or five arrows sticking though there brain seems a bit excessive. I could see zombies walking around with arrows all over there body but not in the head. They seem more like boss fights rather than a zombie.

That and a club smashing there skull in. I understand that you start out with crappy weapons but a solid club to the head should be enough to stop anyone, dead or alive. The club has the feel of a wet noodle or a nerf toy.

What happened to the stun effect with zombies? They just get right back up as if they tripped or something.

Then that long arm reach they have is a bit crazy. I could understand that if you only had your fist but the club should give you twice the range but instead it feels like you don't even have the full reach of your arm while they can hit you much further away. I watched streamers constantly miss zombies while they took damage.

I do like the idea that zombies seem to come out of nowhere and hit you. That was funny.

You make a good point here about the ridiculously long arm reach the zombies have that seems to be as long as the players reach with a club, that needs to be balanced for sure.

The zombies getting right back up without much of a delay was intended to reduce the confusion of whether they are dead or not when they go down according to Joel in one of his recent videos.

The weak damage with clubs is intended until you upgrade the club with mods and specialize in it.

The weak damage with arrows is because they are stone arrows with a regular bow and the combined affect isn't very powerful and again as you upgrade to a higher tier arrow and specialize/mod your bow or upgrade to the compound bow they will do much more damage.

You make a good point here about the ridiculously long arm reach the zombies have that seems to be as long as the players reach with a club, that needs to be balanced for sure.

The zombies getting right back up without much of a delay was intended to reduce the confusion of whether they are dead or not when they go down according to Joel in one of his recent videos.

The weak damage with clubs is intended until you upgrade the club with mods and specialize in it.

The weak damage with arrows is because they are stone arrows with a regular bow and the combined affect isn't very powerful and again as you upgrade to a higher tier arrow and specialize/mod your bow or upgrade to the compound bow they will do much more damage.

Completely disagree regarding the melee reach of zombies. Its way better than it ever has been and requires the player to be more mobile than in past alpha's. People just need to learn, this isnt the 7daystodie of old!

Archived