What's one thing you'd add/readd to the game, and one thing you'd remove? (If any)

• User changed the title to What's one thing you'd add/readd to the game, and one thing you'd remove? (If any)

Remove the current stat system and put the system from a16.4 back in with tweaks, Darkness Falls a overhaul for 7dtd uses a modified A16.4 system and its perfect. A Overhaul called Afterlife even makes the stats action skills and has them tied to certain actions.

As for new stuff, Steel has been top tier since I started playing in alpha 10.2, Radiated zombies have been the top tier enemies for a long time. Game needs item tiers above steel and enemies above radiated, the game seriously lacks content. Why do you think they plan to extend the game in a22/1.0 by a factor of like 5-10? so it takes longer for new players to realize how little content the game actually has. Right now the game already scales way to slowly that it puts me to sleep, its going to be much worse in a22/1.0. As its the same content we have now, just dragged out to feel like a slog.

At least the game is easly modable, I prob have the majority of my hours in 7dtd in overhauls or heavily modded as the vanilla game is so lacking atm. I have 9473 Hours played on steam in 7dtd. Lots of mods out there to make the game fun and intersting again. Once you start modding the game basically no one ever touches vanilla again I notice. Gotta admit though, I deff got my moneys worth with 7dtd, more so than any other game, and I gotta thank the mod community for that.

Edited by Scyris (see edit history)

change the books on how they work a bit.

Read a hunting book get some extra damage with bows. Read a vehicle book (not sure what would increase here but maybe they go a little faster or are more durable.)

Read a weapon book get more damage or they degrade slower. same thing with armor make slightly better armor over time. i know they got the 1-6 but thats just a small fraction and they dont really have to much of a difference between 1-2 or 2-3 and so forth.

Yeah, like  already said, Darkness Falls skill and perk system. Get rid of those pesky magazines and the trader/quest abuse possibilities that follows up with them.

I was always hoping that Khaine would release that as a stand alone, but seeing that he now starts working on his own game i doubt he will have time for that.

I'd like to add Steam Workshop support in a manner similar to Rimworld's implementation. I'm not sure that counts since Steam Workshop is already on the list, so...

If we're really talking unplanned features I'd like to add the ability to move between maps for solo games it would just load the new map and change your location. For server play, it would transfer you between servers that had some kind of common file system so they could share the character data.

I don't know that I would remove anything, though I would be tempted to either change the water/water source interaction a little bit or revert back to the previous farming -- both of which I do via mods if playing solo.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yeah, like  already said, Darkness Falls skill and perk system. Get rid of those pesky magazines and the trader/quest abuse possibilities that follows up with them.

I was always hoping that Khaine would release that as a stand alone, but seeing that he now starts working on his own game i doubt he will have time for that.

Why not both? Or maybe books could give bonus 

Mmmmmmmmmm one thing I would want too add back is hard to say. 

Mine would he the amount of zombies that spawned in the wild, and spawn % setting being in the menu again. 

Other mentions would be meat making smells, wellness and true weapon aiming again... Also so some old models... rip hunting knife...

Ok stuff too remove! Again very hard to say. 

The book system I like but I like learn by doing/earning for somethings. I wish we could do both. Some parts like Guns makes some sense for guns and weapons but other skills should be learn able.  Like harvesting, mining, farming, etc. 

The water system is falwed in so many ways. It makes survival harder but it makes crafting harder then it really should be. Jars should be in the game but water should be in tiers  (Contaminated needs a Chem bench, murky and then clean) and lower the water stack by 5. Same for jars but I don't miss the jars..... idk I'm yapping

Lastly.... vehicle assembly was cool!!! Repairing each part was nice and made repair kit eatten up. Imagine changing tires cuz they broke fully, or radiators..

Screenshot_20240615_123411_YouTube.jpg

oh one thing that would be cool is Bosses.

Like a Quest to fight a powerful version of a zombie. 

Imagine having a quest to go kill a powerful version of say the cop zombie. They do more damage, have more hp and armor. They also work like a mini blood moon, they summon lower zombies to come after you.

Remove the stupid vending machines and add in more need for farming, cooking and water.

Feels like the actual survival aspect of this game got pushed aside and replaced by one stop shop at the traders with either them or the vending machines. 

3 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

Remove the stupid vending machines and add in more need for farming, cooking and water.

Feels like the actual survival aspect of this game got pushed aside and replaced by one stop shop at the traders with either them or the vending machines. 

You don't need to use them.  I never use the vending machines and rarely buy anything from the trader besides solar.  I didn't see any problem with vending machines being there.  Not everyone wants to farm and there isn't any reason they should need to.

As far as what I'd add and remove... I would like seeing a raft or boat vehicle you can use, opening up island maps.  And I'd remove the excessive vehicle damage from hitting things, though that might not be an issue with 1.0 and armor mods.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

You don't need to use them.  I never use the vending machines and rarely buy anything from the trader besides solar.  I didn't see any problem with vending machines being there.  Not everyone wants to farm and there isn't any reason they should need to.

As far as what I'd add and remove... I would like seeing a raft or boat vehicle you can use, opening up island maps.  And I'd remove the excessive vehicle damage from hitting things, though that might not be an issue with 1.0 and armor mods.

Or they could overhaul the food and farming system instead of implementing a lazy fix by giving vending machines and traders ridiculous amounts of food and drinks not to mention the random restocked PoI vending machines. 

The whole don't like it don't use it is such a lazy excuse for bad game design especially in a survival game where it's supposed to be an apocalyptic setting where food and water are suppose to be scarce not overly abundant and easily obtained.

28 minutes ago, Slingblade2040 said:

The whole don't like it don't use it is such a lazy excuse for bad game design especially in a survival game where it's supposed to be an apocalyptic setting where food and water are suppose to be scarce not overly abundant and easily obtained.

Except the game isn't a survival game.  It is survival and RPG and tower defense and, and, and ....  If you want it to be only survival, you'll be disappointed about many choices they make in designing the game. 

The game is designed for many different kinds of players and not only survival players.  As such, it will never fit perfectly into any specific genre and will never reach the same level as a game that is one genre.  It is a jack of all trades game... And it works. 

Now, I'd be fine with improved farming and loot tables could certainly use tweaking.  But if food being easy to get at traders and vending machines is not answering you like, it isn't exactly difficult to ignore that.  Many people do like that.  Their opinions aren't any less valid than yours.

Besides, changing or removing vending machines and food from traders is kind of pointless. Food is extremely easy to get from farming or animals.  Removing one source won't change the difficulty of getting food at all.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Besides, changing or removing vending machines and food from traders is kind of pointless. Food is extremely easy to get from farming or animals.  Removing one source won't change the difficulty of getting food at all.

Now, I don't feel too strongly about this exact thing, but it'd be a step in a direction I'd like.. make basic survival something you need to actually solve, and in doing so, turn questing itself into a reward. "Sort out your life so you can afford to go questing." No food in POI loot, some expensive ones on trader as a backup, but make getting your own and settling down / basebuilding be actually rewarding.

A bit like Valheim, where you will do thematic things in order to progress, farming and cooking and such. But don't make the farming as annoying as Valheim... 😛 (it's mostly the jittery planting system with plants failing being too close to one another that annoys me there.. and it's kinda a lot of clicking, but if it wasn't punishing, I think it'd be fine).

Here it could be get your food in order to be able to go loot... sort out your meds too, just giving a surplus from the POIs kinda makes them pointless overall. Just give us a castable heal skill at this rate, with a mana bar.. :)

Balancing food and drink is not easy.

Farming, hunting, trading, and gathering (especially the existence of Shumway boxes and airdrops, which have a fixed number of items, makes optional difficulty settings pointless) all need to be approached in a different way. Yes, I actually developed an overhaul mod that did just that, but it took more than a year of development and adjustment.

Reducing the amount of collectibles is easy, but that's just tough. You have to have a fun game experience. That's the hardest part.

On 6/20/2024 at 6:26 PM, Slingblade2040 said:

Or they could overhaul the food and farming system instead of implementing a lazy fix by giving vending machines and traders ridiculous amounts of food and drinks not to mention the random restocked PoI vending machines. 

Have no real opinion on the vending machines as rarely use them.

As for food and water being scarce in the apocalypse. That depends. If it was just on for a short while should be a fair bit of food and water about. As time went on factory made food would get scarcer.

In the game timeline now. It seems the apocalypse started quite a while ago. All the traders seem well established. Am thinking you are not the only survivor around as the traders would not be so prosperous if it was just you in the world. That being said for sure there are "professional" scavengers and people who took roots and farmed. I would expect the "proper" foods like canned good and such to diminish but I think with good trade stuff like homemade stews, pies, etc would be readily available along with some raw foods and water with a good trading post.

/my opinion.

Add: more ambient sounds to blocks. Specifically: creepily ticking clocks, building creaking sounds (stairs, or just random old creaks when its stormy/windy) tvs with static sounds when they are visually "on". The game is way too quiet.

Add: more visual diversity to existing biome decor (like taller grasses/stumps, trees of varying height/color to obscure your view). I almost feel adding more "garbage" in terms of cars/dressers/wood/tires/blocks" could be done around destroyed POIs. Having "fallen trees" and other rotations of the standard decor (or half buried/on their side big rocks, etc)

add: more block damage to explosives. Like for mines/grenades/etc.

add: large craters in the ground in destroyed areas. More "holes" or ground damage. For a voxel game i feel a ton of "character" is wasted by not having more underground things to find (and being underground makes it harder to run/hide when attacked)

add: more "underground" areas (as part of tiles) that can be discovered. Even if its just "sewage pipes all underground" it would be fun to run around in"

add: the fire mod :)

add: total darkness when underground.

remove: i cant think of anything :) other than there are some existing sounds that have some annoying parts to them (like tiny "tick" sound at the end. So when mining or doing repetitive tasks wearing headphones its "ka chunk... tick. Ka chunk.... tick". I think harvesting grass has one of these, and hitting stone with stone ax. The weird "basketball bouncing" sound still exists in a21 when harvesting cloth.