Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

General development question? What was the point in the character creator going high res and new options in a first person game. The only time you will see your character is either multiplayer or when putting on equipment in the menus. Seems like alot of effort for not much. Or is 3rd person coming because I can't see point otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, Immhotep said:

General development question? What was the point in the character creator going high res and new options in a first person game. The only time you will see your character is either multiplayer or when putting on equipment in the menus. Seems like alot of effort for not much. Or is 3rd person coming because I can't see point otherwise. 

Same for the details like the looking at intractable stuff. And enemies 

They do wanna have a third person mode but just not yet. And tbh unless they add better animations like many attack animations it would look rough.  Plus my concern is also bandits Whise.

What are we suppose to do when they attack us! Hopefully we can block or something 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

I agree with others, the traders in specific biomes should not be a thing, at least not in random gen. The traders should be....random. 

Now Navezgane, sure, that makes sense. This should be the map new players start on any way. That way it's easier to help them, know where there are, & point them in the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, toores said:

Somethin's wrong with animal spawning. I'm on day 3 and I haven't seen a single animal yet. Almost died from hunger...

They do seem to spawn less during the day. Like others have said, night is when they tend to spawn more. 

The Pimps sick temptation of trying to get us venturing out in the night. All my animal kills so far have been at night. 2 deer, 2 chickens, and one rabbit. On day 5 in my playthrough. 

Harvested over 100 polymer from various things to craft the dew collector, "harvest polymers" challenge still says "11/50".

Killed two zombie dogs and harvested them with a bone knife, "harvest rotting flesh" challenge still says "0/10".

Harvested leather from various things, "harvest leather" challenge still says "0/10".

Nights are way too bright. No need for head light mod, torch or anything.

1 hour ago, PoloPoPo said:

Am I too stupid to use ladders now or can't you jump at and hang on them anymore? Only way to climb a ladder for me is to "walk" upwards with a ladder block right in front of me (so Zs can use it as well).

I started a small base on a roof top, removed the lowest ladder block as usual but can't reach the ladder anymore myself?!

Edit:

If I press C (crouch) on ladder impact I can stick to it like it used to be. Without C I always fall down.

Jumping on ladders is bugged right now. TFP verified it is a known issue.  So probably fixed in the next update.  It works about half the time.

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Yup... ik wildlife likes to come out at night but deer should be out somewhat during the day

I've seen deer during the day, but the numbers of all animals are severely nerfed.  So far on day 3 in two games, I've seen a few deer and a few snakes and only one rabbit and one chicken.

48 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

I agree with others, the traders in specific biomes should not be a thing, at least not in random gen. The traders should be....random. 

Now Navezgane, sure, that makes sense. This should be the map new players start on any way. That way it's easier to help them, know where there are, & point them in the right direction. 

I definitely agree with this.  Traders limited by biome isn't good.  In two different games, when rekt sent me to the next trader, it was about 4km away on an 8k map.  That's insane.  Not only that, but the biome layout meant traveling through the wasteland to get there on one of the games unless you wanted to go far out of your way to get around the wasteland.  That's pretty bad.  Definitely a poor design choice for random maps.

3 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Harvested over 100 polymer from various things to craft the dew collector, "harvest polymers" challenge still says "11/50".

Killed two zombie dogs and harvested them with a bone knife, "harvest rotting flesh" challenge still says "0/10".

Harvested leather from various things, "harvest leather" challenge still says "0/10".

Nights are way too bright. No need for head light mod, torch or anything.

These seem to be very specific about where and how you harvest things.  Plastic is apparently only from blue barrels from what someone said.  Some things require harvesting with only the bone knife or stone axe and not a wrench or hunting knife, for example.  It is far too specific.  Right now, it leads too many people to think it is broken, which is a good indication that it isn't designed well.

So are only tiny towns in forest biome a feature or a bug?

If its a feature, I get what they are going for, from a difficulty perspective.... but it just seems weird, un-natural.  I like the look of that Biome the best and seeing a giant city in it sometimes, would look awesome.

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

To anyone who has issues with the challenge to collect polymers, look out for these water barrels. Oddly enough, it specifically requires you to harvest these in order to complete the challenge.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

If its a feature, I get what they are going for, from a difficulty perspective.... but it just seems weird, un-natural.  I like the look of that Biome the best and seeing a giant city in it sometimes, would look awesome.

The pine forest will now only generate country towns, and the largest cities are found in the wasteland. This is by design, and only the beginning of the more linear progression coming to prepare for the future story mode across Navezgane and RWG.

57 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Wait. It's natural for rural, country areas to have giant cities in them?

1 hour ago, Outlaw_187 said:

They do seem to spawn less during the day. Like others have said, night is when they tend to spawn more. 

The Pimps sick temptation of trying to get us venturing out in the night. All my animal kills so far have been at night. 2 deer, 2 chickens, and one rabbit. On day 5 in my playthrough. 

It also will make us use the huntsman perk now. One point into it and finding a bunch of chickens and rabbits now.  Only found two before I put a point into it.

Is Navezgane in Arizona or in Norway during the summer?

Why is it SO bright at night? Isn't this a horror game?

It's brighter than it was before, and before it was still too bright.

Good thing DoughPhungus's Dark Nights mod works without issue. But unfortunately, even with the mod, it's more like A21 without the mod.

12 minutes ago, Arez said:

Good thing DoughPhungus's Dark Nights mod works without issue. But unfortunately, even with the mod, it's more like A21 without the mod.

Yeah, it is too bright.  You don't need lights anywhere anymore, which makes no sense.

22 hours ago, The-Walking-Dad said:

I don't even need a torch outside.

Constructive criticism: bring back the dark nights! Inside it isn't too bad, but there are light sources which would explain that.

I'm not trying to be a smartass -- this is a genuine suggestion/question: turn the brightness down?

30 minutes ago, Arez said:

The game stopped being a horror game sense like Alpha 15 or so.. one thing for people forget to realize is how dark the game was I still play on Console and look how dark was back them tbh then it was too dark. Alpha 17 was just right.. last I played 

It's so dark on console that you can't find your bag in the 

And tbh irl.. Full moons would be bright enough too see. Hell I go I mighty walks and if a full moon is out I can see just fine. 

763c7211-49e1-42a7-8310-f8148fdf044b.png

cdeaec0f-a03d-4465-a7ef-92a0b5a1e90b.png

17 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

I'm not trying to be a smartass -- this is a genuine suggestion/question: turn the brightness down?

Intrusions unclear. Can't see now

17 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Although that is a workaround, it isn't really the solution.  After all, the opposite suggestion is also true... Turn the brightness up if you think it is too dark.  Neither is an actual solution, though.  Adjusting monitor brightness tends to wash out the graphics and just doesn't look great.  The game should have an adjustment like many games that can give people fully dark environments if they want them or environments that are bright like 1.0, adjusted through the game to avoid that washed out look.

5 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

IMHO the start was the reduction of zeds in the world due to UMA in Alpha 14. Though it could also have been Unity changes that made it so we couldn't have 450 max alive back in Alpha 12 or 13.

I wasn't around during those days, I played console, I was younger then and that was scary! Ferals scared me the most.

But watching the old videos that GNS did showed how little zombies we have now. Kinda would like too see it again doubt we will tho.

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Although that is a workaround, it isn't really the solution.  After all, the opposite suggestion is also true... Turn the brightness up if you think it is too dark.  Neither is an actual solution, though.  Adjusting monitor brightness tends to wash out the graphics and just doesn't look great.  The game should have an adjustment like many games that can give people fully dark environments if they want them or environments that are bright like 1.0, adjusted through the game to avoid that washed out look.

Brightness washing out graphics is something that stopped being an issue back in alpha 18 -- I think -- with a change in how it works. It is true of most games I play, and it was definitely true of 7d2d. This "adjustment" you speak of is pretty much what brightness does now.

51 minutes ago, Riamus said:

Yeah, it is too bright.  You don't need lights anywhere anymore, which makes no sense.

I've not been able to try 1.0 so I depend on your eyes... is there any chance the light at night depends on the stage of the moon? I say this because on a clear night with a full moon, people can see quite a lot. Is it too bright where there's no moon?

15 minutes ago, zztong said:

I've not been able to try 1.0 so I depend on your eyes... is there any chance the light at night depends on the stage of the moon? I say this because on a clear night with a full moon, people can see quite a lot. Is it too bright where there's no moon?

I'm only on day 3 in two games, so can't say if it changes.  But I do know that in buildings, in areas with no lights nearby, I can still see.  Yes, it is somewhat dark, but I can still clearly see what is there.  Outdoors, it feels like summer in Alaska, or any location above the Arctic circle.

21 minutes ago, dcsobral said:

Brightness washing out graphics is something that stopped being an issue back in alpha 18 -- I think -- with a change in how it works. It is true of most games I play, and it was definitely true of 7d2d. This "adjustment" you speak of is pretty much what brightness does now.

Even if that is the case (I haven't tried it with this game), it isn't ideal to have to change brightness for each game you play.  That's why many games that are intended to be dark have some form of brightness, contrast, and/or gamma adjustment built into the game.  You can get what you want without having to change settings each game.  Besides, I'm sure the ability to avoid the washed out effect when changing monitor brightness has a lot to do with the monitor and is probably not possible with every monitor.  But that's just an assumption.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)