Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

5 minutes ago, Space4Ace said:

Hello FATAAL!

How many bugs are still left to fix? If you can say of course.

Last time was like: 3 10 86 18 1 = 118. From highest to lowest priority.

Highest and High are 3, 26, which are the ones we are trying to fix before experimental. Those numbers generally go up at first as it usually takes less time to find bugs, than fix them.

In some cases you fix a bug, but then it comes back to you. Like I fixed the mountain lions rear end jittering when turning, but then they found a case where it does it when sliding around cars, so have to figure that one out. Cue funny remarks...

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

Highest and High are 3, 26, which are the ones we are trying to fix before experimental. Those numbers generally go up at first as it usually takes less time to find bugs, than fix them.

In some cases you fix a bug, but then it comes back to you. Like I fixed the mountain lions rear end jittering when turning, but then they found a case where it does it when sliding around cars, so have to figure that one out. Cue funny remarks...

You're the man!

Thanks for the really quick reply. Always nice to know where you're at with all those bugs.

And yes, I know... Fix one bug, create 3 new ones. 😁

Keep up the excellent work Shawn.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

200w (12).gif

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, faatal said:

Boss ideas are not discarded. Those are simply things we are not thinking about right now. Bandits need to be in a good place before I concern myself with special ones.

Thanks for the reply... good to know!

2 hours ago, faatal said:

but then they found a case where it does it when sliding around cars, so have to figure that one out.

Easy fix: just remove cars! :lol:

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Laz Man said:

There might be something related to this on camera at one point of the 2nd dev stream for those who have a good eye.  Happy hunting / theory crafting. 😎

: O

@%$# yes??? Hello?? Y'all are the gift that keeps on giving!!!

Keeping it on topic and not just as a praise response, out of all the POI's shown so far (either from Twitter or the dev streams), which one's your favorite, if any? (and If not, is there a favorite you can "name drop" without showing a preview or something, if you're allowed)

5 hours ago, Space4Ace said:

Hello FATAAL!

How many bugs are still left to fix? If you can say of course.

Last time was like: 3 10 86 18 1 = 118. From highest to lowest priority.

I'm really curious what that one lonely "lowest priority" bug is, hahaha. You really think there would be at least a couple more of those!

1 hour ago, FramFramson said:

I'm really curious what that one lonely "lowest priority" bug is, hahaha. You really think there would be at least a couple more of those!

They told me...

Spoiler

- For some reason empty jars do not appear in loot. Also, when using jars on any water source they don't fill up. (low priority since the introduction of dew collector)

Posted (edited)

Hi there,

Nice second devstream, way better (technically) than the first one. Both were interesting btw.

Very happy to see where 7 days is going to. Slower progression, making early game longer is the best announcement of all 1.0 news from my point of view because it's my favorite part of the game.

There's a little thing I didn't really understand regarding the dew collector.

With the appropriate mod, there will be 6 actual jars per day to pick up with 6 slots in the dew collector ?

Or is the rate accelerated and we will have 2x3 jars to pickup per day ?

The water filter is still a trader thing ? We won't be able to craft it ?

What about the durability of the vehicle when you drive on zombies ? The cam was over the durability bar.

Does the mod negate all damage, 50%, 10% ?

It's not devstream related, but I often have confusion to locate zombies. When you're inside a building, it is sometimes hard to figure out if a zombie is above, under, outside, inside, or how far he is. Is there something planned to enhance spacial localisation ?

Is there something planned regarding zombie's AI during hordes ? Engineers zombie AI is one of the most griefs oldschoolers have. I really like those, I started and learned the game with a21, so it helps. But I tried a16, and it's true that horde nights were less repetitive, and more unpredictable. What I think is that we could have engineer zombies that path like today. But maybe add brute zombies that go straight and destroy everything between them and you. Maybe some zombies specialized in piling up to jump above your walls, things like that. Is there something on track regarding this aspect ?

Edited by Ouabi Gaming (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Ouabi Gaming said:

There's a little thing I didn't really understand regarding the dew collector.

With the appropriate mod, there will be 6 actual jars per day to pick up with 6 slots in the dew collector ?

Or is the rate accelerated and we will have 2x3 jars to pickup per day ?

The water filter is still a trader thing ? We won't be able to craft it ?

There are three mods for the dew collect:

• Filter - changes dirty water to clean water
  • Gatherer (ice block looking mod) - increases collection rate - faster rate
  • Tarp - increases the stack size from 1 to 2 - doesn't affect the rate

Based on their description in the video

2 hours ago, Ouabi Gaming said:

Very happy to see where 7 days is going to. Slower progression, making early game longer is the best announcement of all 1.0 news from my point of view because it's my favorite part of the game.

Is there something planned regarding zombie's AI during hordes ?  ..

So much this. I finally found the time to watch the Dev stream 2 last night and loved what I heard/saw, the slower progression and trader rebalancing have me very excited. I got my first taste of the new clothing variants on the Z's in action and it looked really good.

I would love to see some less-controllable/predictable horde behavior.  There's something poetic about the rampaging horde being too dumb and random for you to know what exactly they're going to do- besides break a bunch of stuff.

Posted (edited)

Not a big deal, but I hope that some of the mods that don't really have an in-world explanation eventually get one. Like the mods simply named "stength mod" or "agility mod" that raise attributes that are coming. Making it be some kind of in game item would be helpful for immersion. 😀

Very happy to see the trader vo changes, it'll be much better. Same goes with the specific biome assignments for each trader.

I noticed some of the resource costs being, almost kind of absurd. I could be remembering wrong, but I think they showed a tier 6 auto shotgun in the 2nd dev stream, and it took a ridiculous amount of forged steel. I know this had to be done for balance, it just stuck out to me a bit 😅

My main concern now is with how looting works. It doesn't seem like where you go majorly impacts loot, for instance; I remember once looting an entire pop'n pills location, only to get no antibiotics or honey to treat my infection. I know they said back in a21 that the location influences the loot a bit, but it'd be nice if the chance was maybe further adjusted? As it stands, tree stumps are more of a reliable source of a cure when compared to trying to raid a medical facility.

I think some more contextual loot would be nice, because a lot of the time, lootstage can punish you for doing high tier pois early with meagre rewards, with things like military bases having purely primitive weapons, which is kind of confusing since many have non-variable difficulty, with things like garunteed spawns of dogs or ferals on day 1, so you'd expect them to be very rewarding if you somehow manage.

I'm also hoping for an eventual improvement of rivers in rwg. I notice that they often only generate in the corners of the world, far away from most pois, and some just spawn empty, and without water? A previous poster talked about flooded basement to better utilize the new water system, and I think that's a great idea. There isn't much point to going into lakes or water as it stands (at least as far as I know, could be wrong)

Lots of the new particles in particular look fantastic, though all of this cool new art looks great, it makes the common stuff stick out. Ground textures, trees, etc look very dated now, and I'm surprised they haven't been updated. Very happy they changed road decals though, that should help. 👍

Edited by User (see edit history)

4 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

There are three mods for the dew collect:

• Filter - changes dirty water to clean water
  • Gatherer (ice block looking mod) - increases collection rate - faster rate
  • Tarp - increases the stack size from 1 to 2 - doesn't affect the rate

Based on their description in the video

I still hope we will one day get a upgraded dew collector.  Like a water pump

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

I still hope we will one day get a upgraded dew collector.  Like a water pump

It could even except all the mods of the dew collector.  

Maybe I'll make a post. But maybe it generate 5 water and with the tarp it gets 10

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

I might have missed about new upgradable storage chests, but what happens when being destroyed with axe or pickaxe, what would happen to the loot inside, does the slots that have been unlocked/added destroy the loot in them as going from steel to iron to wood, or the whole chest goes poof. 

16 minutes ago, beerfly said:

I might have missed about new upgradable storage chests, but what happens when being destroyed with axe or pickaxe, what would happen to the loot inside, does the slots that have been unlocked/added destroy the loot in them as going from steel to iron to wood, or the whole chest goes poof. 

I would assume it follows all other blocks and is destroyed, not downgraded.

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I would assume it follows all other blocks and is destroyed, not downgraded.

Yep, I'd agree. Look at the treatment doors got in A21, it will likely be the same as that.
And if a chest is destroyed it should drop a blue loot bag with the contents.

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

You know I can't unsee that thing about towns/cities having no elevation changes now. Not a hill to be seen in a 7 Days town or city 

I think I remember in alpha 16 towns had elevation but I'm not sure

Oh I remember is that it was kind of buggy

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

You know I can't unsee that thing about towns/cities having no elevation changes now. Not a hill to be seen in a 7 Days town or city 

It's a minor compromise for me. All it would change is that you'd have to climb a hill to get there instead of running/driving at the same level.

On 6/9/2024 at 8:13 AM, Ouabi Gaming said:

It's not devstream related, but I often have confusion to locate zombies. When you're inside a building, it is sometimes hard to figure out if a zombie is above, under, outside, inside, or how far he is. Is there something planned to enhance spacial localisation ?

You may know this already, but just in case you don't... The icon on your compass showing the last zombies will indicate if it's above you, below you, or on the same level as you.  There is a tiny arrow on there that shows up or down.  If there isn't an arrow, it's on the same level as you.  Note that if there are "half" levels (levels that aren't the full height above or below you), you may get an incorrect indicator.  But that's not common.

44 minutes ago, Riamus said:

You may know this already, but just in case you don't... The icon on your compass showing the last zombies will indicate if it's above you, below you, or on the same level as you.  There is a tiny arrow on there that shows up or down.  If there isn't an arrow, it's on the same level as you.  Note that if there are "half" levels (levels that aren't the full height above or below you), you may get an incorrect indicator.  But that's not common.

That is true of the yellow icon, but I think he is asking about the red.