Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

9 hours ago, FramFramson said:

The tree models are actually alright, IMO, but we could use more variety, and maybe slightly more varied outcomes for planted seeds (since planted seeds always generate identical trees).

Desert trees!!!

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Деревья пустыни!!!

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Desert trees!!!

not only they, but in general all trees in all biomes need to update their appearance, which was introduced back in alpha 13.
All trees in all biomes (forest, burnt, winter, wasteland, desert) need improvement and diversity, not just the forest biome

Posted (edited)

I think the developer stream was okay. There wasn't a lot of new information, but it's always nice to get some insight into what's happening behind the scenes.

The only thing I found annoying was that Richard and Joel still use cheap headsets, and the audio quality was really terrible. Please invest in a good streaming microphone. You can get good mics for around $100.

What I really liked hearing was that the trader rewards will get nerfed. Big thumbs up for that! I've played the last two alphas without traders because the rewards are way to OP.

Edited by LordMiG (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, LordMiG said:

I think the developer stream was okay. There wasn't a lot of new information, but it's always nice to get some insight into what's happening behind the scenes.

The only thing I found annoying was that Richard and Joel still use cheap headsets, and the audio quality was really terrible. Please invest in a good streaming microphone. You can get good mics for around $100.

What I really liked hearing was that the trader rewards will get nerfed. Big thumbs up for that! I've played the last two alphas without traders because the rewards are way to OP.

How do u get a water filter for Dew Collector.  Id like to play without the trader but trader only items are annoying

10 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

How do u get a water filter for Dew Collector.  Id like to play without the trader but trader only items are annoying

Sadly that wasn't revealed. It's a mod now, so perhaps you can find it in loot? Hopefully they'll say in the next stream.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:51 AM, XYR0 said:

Remove gear from trader rewards.

Add to rewards skill crafting books (amount based on tier).

No more m60s from T5 quest. You getting now 5 machine gun crafting books.

I could go for this. Award Dukes then 1 book for Tiers 1-3, 2 books for Tier 4, and 3 books for Tier 5.

I was tempted to suggest only giving Dukes and letting folks buy books from the Trader. That's great for solo play and a server for a cooperative team. For a server full of individuals there would never be any books available. Trader customization options would be popular.

On 6/1/2024 at 8:02 AM, Laz Man said:

For example, Duke rewards are less compared to A21.

I'll be curious to see how this plays out. Dukes are brass, thus ammo after you're established. Limited Dukes might mean ammo scarcity during the push for level 300, which is not all bad if it leads to new approaches to dealing with the hoard and other play challenges.

It could also lead to players standing in horde bases cursing the change because they run out of ammo before they can gain 10 levels in one night in an efficient 6-hour blast of carnage. Setting up a blast-furnace equivalent of campfires to attract screamers and then spinning that up into a big horde might happen less often.

I thought the Dev Stream was okay. If I had a quibble it would be that they could have connected and troubleshot issues before the stream was supposed to start. But I know these have classically been informal and ad-hoc and I've come to expect that. I'd even say it seems to be part of the Twitch culture.

I can't decide if chat is useful or useless. It seemed good for feedback about technical issues. It was ineffective for questions. Folks were asking questions that had already been answered, plus the chat noise. I found myself wondering if perhaps there was some service that could have been collecting questions over the previous hour and have been letting us up-vote the good questions using some other browser window. Eh, I'm over thinking it.

36 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

If nothing else, the changes to dew collectors will mean you can play without traders and without a mod to change dew collectors or filters and still get water from dew collectors.  You might just need to deal with boiling the murky water you get from a basic dew collector if the mods for it can only be purchased.  Not as good as being able to find or craft the mods, but at least it's a viable option for a no trader game without needing to mod the game.  And perhaps they will make it possible to loot or craft those mods, making it an even better option for people who don't want traders.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I'm using a modlet that lets me craft water filters from the start without a schematic. This is the one I'm currently using: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/3202?tab=description. I've modified the recipe to require 50 polymers, 3 metal pipes, 20 coal, 30 sand, and 3 glue. This change adds a bit of challenge and realism to the crafting process.

Please note that to be able to craft water filters from day one without needing a workbench or schematic, you need to remove the following parameters from the recipe.xml file:  craft_area="workbench" tags="learnable,workbenchCrafting".

There is also the mod "Overrun Traders" that replaces traders with destroyed trading posts and adds water filters, solar cells to the crafting receipes: https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/4851?tab=description

Edited by LordMiG (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, zztong said:

I thought the Dev Stream was okay. If I had a quibble it would be that they could have connected and troubleshot issues before the stream was supposed to start. But I know these have classically been informal and ad-hoc and I've come to expect that. I'd even say it seems to be part of the Twitch culture.

I can't decide if chat is useful or useless. It seemed good for feedback about technical issues. It was ineffective for questions. Folks were asking questions that had already been answered, plus the chat noise. I found myself wondering if perhaps there was some service that could have been collecting questions over the previous hour and have been letting us up-vote the good questions using some other browser window. Eh, I'm over thinking it.

Yeah, when you have over 5000 people on Twitch at once, trying to pull questions from the chat is not really a good option.  It works fine for smaller numbers of people (usually with a moderator grabbing them during the stream and adding them to a shared doc for the streamers) but is too fast otherwise.  I'm sure there are some good ways to gather questions and having options to upvote questions would be really useful.  At worst, they could put a thread here that is specifically for what questions people have about the game release and then forum mods can gather those into a document for them to use.  The moderators could even throw together a few polls with some of the more common questions to see which are the most popular.  It isn't as good as other options but is possible without setting anything else up.  For that matter, moderators could grab questions from this thread and give them those questions to use ahead of time for a really quick option.  Something would be better than what they are doing now.

57 minutes ago, Riamus said:

For that matter, moderators could grab questions from this thread and give them those questions to use ahead of time for a really quick option.  Something would be better than what they are doing now.

Yeh they used to do this, it was successful imo.

Think I agree with the general sentiment. Stream was interesting even if there wasn't a tonne of 'new' info for those of us who have been following along closely. 

From a technical standpoint it was a bit of a disaster really. I guess when you only have them once a year, the feeling is it's not worth investing in it but from the outside looking in it kinda comes across a little amateur

Hopefully the Thursday one (if it happens) runs a little smoother

hey all, great to hear that the console version is coming in July. Has anyone heard if they are going to have it at a lower price or added to Xbox Game Pass? I have the old one on disc and don't fancy having to pay high price for the game again. which still is 3x the price of the pc version

3 minutes ago, Fifthgame2022 said:

hey all, great to hear that the console version is coming in July. Has anyone heard if they are going to have it at a lower price or added to Xbox Game Pass? I have the old one on disc and don't fancy having to pay high price for the game again. which still is 3x the price of the pc version

Not likely to be on game pass.
Legacy owners may get a discount, but that hasn't been fully negotiated/announced yet. I recall reading that it was for digital purchases, so not certain it will count for those who bought a disk in a store. Depends on how Sony and Microsoft track sales.

25 minutes ago, SONTURK said:

When will we play the game?

You can go and play it right now if you want.

Unless you are on a console. Then you will need to wait until release. No dates are set yet that aren't already available to you in the new information.

1 hour ago, Fifthgame2022 said:

It won't be on game pass and it won't be 3x the price of the PC version. The price will be uniform across all platforms.

On 6/1/2024 at 2:24 AM, Watermelon said:

@faatal, Hello, do you remember when was the last time you updated the first person controller? It seems to me that this was back in the 13th alpha, or maybe even earlier. in those days you posted news on tumblr 😁
What I mean is all the first person movements, when you jump, when you move, when you turn, when you run, the camera swaying from side to side, up and down physics, acceleration effects, as well as realistic and effective swaying of weapons, tools in your hands when walking and running
that is, roughly speaking, the effects of first-person camera behavior, character movement
I think this would greatly increase the immersion effect
update this please 🙂😉
Thank you so much! My english is very bad, sorry :D

Yes, that could be improved, but not for 1.0 as time is being spent elsewhere. I don't know when we would get to those type of changes.

9 hours ago, Chaton Noir said:

Hello, @faatal.
1. How many bugs are in the fix queue now, and with what priority?

2. Will crosshair during aiming ever be removed? I realise it's obviously not the highest priority feature, but it's really needed.

3. On the dev stream I noticed some pretty strong ghosting. Is this FSR 3 Native AA, FSR 3 or did you make the changes in TAA?

4. Which version of Unity 2022 will 1.0 use?

5. What are you working on now?

1.  3 10 86 18 1 = 118. From highest to lowest priority. As usual, not all of those will addressed for experimental or even stable and more will get added.

2.  I don't know. Most of us are not gun purists and probably don't even look at the iron sights. I put the + on the target and shoot. I do realize it annoys some people and could be better.

3.  It is FSR. It adds some ghosting on certain types of motion. It will probably not change for 1.0 and the older AA methods are available for those who don't like it.

4.  Currently 2022.3.29, but could get a bump if we need another bug fix.

5.  Falling tree improvements for old ugly I noticed yesterday.