Version 1.0 (Alpha 22) Dev Diary

32 minutes ago, Gronal said:

This appears to be a stylistic choice, that many of us think is dumb, but it's their choice to have stupid iron sights and I don't suspect they will change it.

Unfortunate if true. I don't mind some of the strange stylistic choices for their firearms, but the far iron sight being raised above the rear completely destroys the functionality.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I think most of the sets look the same on males vs females.

Yes, the first couple of bloodmoons should last until the morning now.  I started a playthrough recently and enjoyed it.

Balancing is still ongoing.  However, I can confirm that trader rewards are not as strong as before.  For example, Duke rewards are less compared to A21.

Well, That's good. Thanks! 😅

Would you know if there have been any changes to the difficulty indicator or inventory lock system?

Edited by User (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Arma Rex said:

Unfortunate if true. I don't mind some of the strange stylistic choices for their firearms, but the far iron sight being raised above the rear completely destroys the functionality.

Ikr I like using iron sights  :(

One more thing from the dev stream I noticed that I forgot to mention in my summary earlier is that the characters blink far too often.  And the blinking looks like it could be on a timer since the blinks seemed to repeat the same way each time... a couple blinks close together, then a couple blinks with a bit more delay between, then repeat.  Much better if they were on a random timer, not just a static one with some different delays built into it.  But maybe it was random and just happened to look like the same 4 or so blinks repeating themselves.  Either way, the number of blinks is what really looks wrong.  If someone's blinking that much, they should either use eye drops or see an eye doctor because that's way too often.  I do like that they blink, though.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

One more thing from the dev stream I noticed that I forgot to mention in my summary earlier is that the characters blink far too often.  And the blinking looks like it could be on a timer since the blinks seemed to repeat the same way each time... a couple blinks close together, then a couple blinks with a bit more delay between, then repeat.  Much better if they were on a random timer, not just a static one with some different delays built into it.  But maybe it was random and just happened to look like the same 4 or so blinks repeating themselves.  Either way, the number of blinks is what really looks wrong.  If someone's blinking that much, they should either use eye drops or see an eye doctor because that's way too often.  I do like that they blink, though.

Allergies is a big thing in the apocalypse....😅

On 5/31/2024 at 3:20 AM, falloutcloud said:

Maybe only 3% today but we're growing. Once you go ultra wide you never go back

Curved UW. There's a lot of games I simply cannot play full screen because they correct for flat monitors distortion automatically, and that makes it distorted on curved monitors! It doesn't matter much on a Wide, but on UltraWide is significant.

On 5/29/2024 at 7:25 PM, Space4Ace said:

But still, 7 Days to Die caters for Linux and Mac... How much percent is that? See my point?

According to the steam hardware survey for April 2024...

Linux 1.9%

Mac   1.35%

For me, that means that I am part of the 1.9% that uses linux. (exclusively for me since 2008)

Also, for the past 3 years I have played 7dtd on a MSI 3440x1440 Ultrawide display. (I occassionally play it on other computers though (all Linux, but sometimes a 4k 16:9 display.)

So where does the combo linux and ultrawide put me in the rarity jackpot?

On 5/31/2024 at 9:00 AM, Space4Ace said:

Ever since I started playing 7 Days to Die on a 32:9 Samsung G9 Odyssey, I can't go back to 16:9. I tried it and I lose so much info on the sides... It feels like tunnel vision.

7 Days to Die looks beautiful and plays perfectly on a 32:9 monitor. My favorite game on my favorite screen.

Oh... what are the settings you are using? I haven't tried 7d2d full screen on my G9, but one problem I have had with many FPS games is that the distortion correction for flat monitors makes the image super distorted on the G9.

Posted (edited)

So much negativity about the stream. I liked it and I think it was the best first dev stream since they started doing it. They went into a lot of gameplay changes, joked around, we got to see Lathan cringe every time Richard got that look in his eyes... all fun!

As for not showing new POIs, that's cool. I didn't expect that -- since that's for the level designers dev stream -- and, honestly, I find those streams boring. It's not that I don't appreciate new POIs, but I want to PLAY them, not watch someone else go through them and then have to wait weeks or even months to do it myself. Gameplay changes, on the other hand, are the very things that will keep me pondering play styles from now until I finally get my hands on Gold 1.0.

Oh, and THANK TFP FOR NEW COTTON MODEL! The old one seriously irked me. I saw that the devil's bush is still present, though. That's sad.

Edited by dcsobral
Cotton (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Please update the trees. The current ones really bring down the visuals and they are always in view when you are outside unlike cotton plants. I like the new character models, much much better than before but I wish I could make my character have bright pink skin if I want to just for fun.

Edited by Maxley (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, SONTURK said:
Sorry, my English is not good. As a regular player, when will we be able to play alpha 1.0? Is there an exact date?

No, there is not.

24 minutes ago, SONTURK said:
Sorry, my English is not good. As a regular player, when will we be able to play alpha 1.0? Is there an exact date?

The Monday after the Streamers weekend, all of us will :)

It is said to be till the end of this month (June)

The Fun Pimps should have someone taking care of all the behind the scene stuff when it comes to the Twitch dev streams.

Nothing against Lathan (Fubar Prime), but he's constantly struggling on every dev streams to get things working right. Too much for him to do, and too much for his computer to handle (from what he said himself). I think Lathan is a good host so that could stay.

Get someone who really is up to date with the latest new stuff on Twitch, and please stop struggling all the time. And have plan so you know exactly what you are going to talk about before the stream (no more: Errr! I don't know, maybe you could show this stuff, wait no, it's not ready to be shown).

It makes TFP look bad and unprofessional.

I enjoyed the stream. I thought they shared a good amount of information and new features, and making fun of each other while trying to fix technical difficulties was just part of the fun. They seem like regular guys you wouldn't mind having a beer with.

14 minutes ago, Astronomical said:

I enjoyed the stream. I thought they shared a good amount of information and new features, and making fun of each other while trying to fix technical difficulties was just part of the fun. They seem like regular guys you wouldn't mind having a beer with.

Right! I feels very chill 😎 

3 hours ago, Maxley said:

Please update the trees. The current ones really bring down the visuals and they are always in view when you are outside unlike cotton plants. I like the new character models, much much better than before but I wish I could make my character have bright pink skin if I want to just for fun.

The tree models are actually alright, IMO, but we could use more variety, and maybe slightly more varied outcomes for planted seeds (since planted seeds always generate identical trees).

What needs to be changed in terms of the overall visual graphics are the 2D textures of all plants, including primarily corn and dried corn, flowers, dried bushes in the forest biome, etc.
Now we can see the difference, how beautiful the new cotton is in the 3D model and how terrible the textures of everything else are in the 2D, as if from the year 2000. We also need new, more detailed and varied textures of trees of different heights. Also, what mainly catches the player's lens? Of course, a large part of the visual effect is grass, be it grass in a forest biome or winter or burnt or wasteland. And they are not as good as they could be, several times you applied new shaders to it, but never changed the grass textures themselves from 2D to 3D. 
Please, art team, do this, you still have time before 1.0 comes out :watermelon:
Thanks for all! And sorry for my bad english :D

The new boulder models and Cotton plant models look great, any chance the Chrysanthemum and Goldenrod flower will also get 3D models before the 1.0 is out? 🪴

Would really help the visual ambience, as currently next to the new Cotton plant model they look a bit offputting.

32 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

With the new armour system is the clothing getting removed?

Yup, no more clothes. But they did talk about something for the Q4 update they call 'wardrobe' but sounds like it'll be a transmog function of some sort which hopefully will let you look like you're wearing one set of armor but keeping the perks of the set you're actually wearing. At least that's how I understood it

Posted (edited)

Hello, @faatal.
1. How many bugs are in the fix queue now, and with what priority?

2. Will crosshair during aiming ever be removed? I realise it's obviously not the highest priority feature, but it's really needed.

3. On the dev stream I noticed some pretty strong ghosting. Is this FSR 3 Native AA, FSR 3 or did you make the changes in TAA?

4. Which version of Unity 2022 will 1.0 use?

5. What are you working on now?

Edited by Chaton Noir (see edit history)