Bandits delayed yet again.

Slingblade2040

Can't say I'm shocked but it really is a let down. Seems the only thing we have been getting for the past few alphas have been graphics updates, pointless overhauls to the skills system, nerfs and that's it.

No new zombies with abilities, no new weapons, no new vehicles, no bandits, no new npcs, no story. I swear the modders for some of the big mods like darkness falls, rebirth and war of the walkers have added in so many fun and exciting things that honestly should be in the vanilla version yet still aren't even in a somewhat basic form like rebirth random events or darkness falls demons or even the weird bandits with weapons from war of the walkers. 

If these amazing modders can add so much and keep their mods functional then maybe the pimps should either consider getting them on board or ask them for advice because as with Bethesda it seems it's the modding community doing all the heavy lifting to keep their games afloat.

I agree with the part that the modding community here is excellent, and they do a lot of heavy lifting.  But I'm not sure if TFP are really focused on adding lots of new stuff at this point.  Yes, I wanna see bandits.  Yes, I wanna see new armors.  But eventually they have to get this game to gold.  There are only so many things they can keep adding if they want to get the game out of alpha.

I want to see new features too.  And when vanilla isn't fun for me anymore, I mod.  But if TFP doesn't want demons or rebirth random events or whatever in their game, that's their call.  Just remember, if they hadn't made this game in the first place AND made it open to the mod community, we wouldn't have this great game OR the excellent mods.

I get your frustration, but give it time.  And if you don't like it the way it is, as you have said, there are always the mods.  Or other games.  

Just my 2 bits. Cheers.

To be fair, bandits have been getting delayed since what, A16? A17? How is it modders have gotten bandits working, but the Fun Pimps can't?

On the plus side (for now, at least) it's JUST the bandits that got pushed back again. As far as we know, the new player models and armors are still on track for A22.. whenever that happens to be.

While moddability makes a game's "lifetime" greatly elongated, because people who otherwise lose interest in the game as a whole might just give it a new try with a mod, and it is a total new experience, which is very cool.

The downside is - and bandits are the perfect example - every time TFP want to implement something new, already the bar is set very high because modders already did what they want to do.

So there always is the problem that there has to be some degree of "perfection" especially with implementing the bigger announced stuff.

Because it's easy to disappoint people when they do something that modders have done long ago.

They're always under pressure to exceed what already exists.

Just doing a similar version with the same limitations, they only would be @%$#stormed by people, and bandits have been "hyped" and teased for so long, expectations are very high.

TFP have to stay "the original", so bandits too must not be a cheap copy but the real thing, right from the start.

Main problem in the end is: bandits being delayed over and over again starts being a bigger disappointment than an available unfinished version.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

I started playing with A21 so I might be too new to the game to be bothered by the bandits delay. But I have put a lot of time in so far (I'm embarrassed to admit how many hours I have now). 

Zombies are my fav genre and this is the best zombie game I've ever played. Hands down. And possibly the overall best game I've ever played. I'm still having way too much fun. I use a couple overhaul mods, but they just expand on vanilla (Romero Mod and the Winchester Mod). 

The only thing I'm upset with having to wait till March or April's A22 release is the zombie recolors. I would prefer additional new zombie models, but I'm surprisingly satisfied with what I've seen from the recolors.  

And I'm not a fan of creatures so I'm not interested in mods like that, and those are the only ones where I've seen human NPCs. They don't seem very good to me (though I don't have 1st hand experience with them), but I'm pretty sure TFP can easily implement AI bandits at that quality. So I don't think it's a matter of the modders being more capable. I think it's TFP wanting the bandits to function at a higher quality.

9 hours ago, Arez said:

I'm pretty sure TFP can easily implement AI bandits at that quality

as far as I understand, the current NPC/bandit AI you see in many mods is just the AI TFP already coded into the game way back (A15/16?),

but they were not content with it so they "checked it out", the code still being there but remains unused in vanilla.

Modders just reactivated it.

So yes, they could have done it. And I'm not too sad they didn't, because AI behaviour is indeed rather weird more often than one would like.

I have absolutely no clue how many adjustments were made though, so I hope nobody feels offended by my thoughts here.

All these mods are still absolutely great work, and I can easily live with the current limitations of NPC AI, they still add greatly to the fun!

18 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

Can't say I'm shocked but it really is a let down. Seems the only thing we have been getting for the past few alphas have been graphics updates, pointless overhauls to the skills system, nerfs and that's it.

No new zombies with abilities, no new weapons, no new vehicles, no bandits, no new npcs, no story. I swear the modders for some of the big mods like darkness falls, rebirth and war of the walkers have added in so many fun and exciting things that honestly should be in the vanilla version yet still aren't even in a somewhat basic form like rebirth random events or darkness falls demons or even the weird bandits with weapons from war of the walkers. 

If these amazing modders can add so much and keep their mods functional then maybe the pimps should either consider getting them on board or ask them for advice because as with Bethesda it seems it's the modding community doing all the heavy lifting to keep their games afloat.

You know, I've seen the so called 'Bandits' in some of those, and I gotta say I am far from impressed.

I don't think that's what TFP had in mind for bandits in gold.   With all due to respect to Khaine, I'd rather have bandits that can potentially shoot me from behind cover than to deal with constant waves of demonic rushing with fireball spam.   The difference between these two AI's is going to be wholly different.   I'd rather wait to see it done and implemented properly than suffer it the opposite.

I've seen no evidence to support any of your claims. Did they announce somewhere that there's no bandits? Did they at any point promise new vehicles? Did they promise new zombie abilities? New weapons? If they did, please link me as I would love to see what was actually said. However, this kind of complaining is precisely why the game remains in "alpha". So that they can continue to work on things that they want to add into the game and at a pace that they're able to accomplish without half-assing anything. Thankfully for you though, you can play all those mods to your heart's content, for free, while waiting. And it only cost you what? $8, $15? X amount of years ago and you've been able to play 24/7 every day since your purchase without them asking for a single cent more from you or anyone. You can certainly find things to complain about, but you've likely already gotten far more than your money's worth like the rest of us, but none of us are entitled to our wishlists for the price that was paid. The only things they actually have to add to the game are the things that were promised during the crowdfunding Kickstarter and paid for. Those being "expanded story", "NPC controlled safehouses" and "Oculus Rift aka PCVR support" and "seasonal weather". That's it, those are the only things remaining on the table that they could be liable for if not added to the game, as money was exchanged for those things among all the others that were already added. But they've added FAR more than what was originally promised and haven't tried pushing it off for future DLC or anything of that nature. So again we've gotten more than our money's worth now, currently and with the game still considered an "alhpa". Delaying additional things is certainly disappointing but it's still coming and they have a good track record of adding things to the game that are ready to be added and not partially working. So give them the time they need to get it right and in the meantime play something else to pass the time. You can always come back for that same $8.. $15? dollars you spent, 24/7

My only hope is that when activated, they adjust the accuracy algorithm and reload timing first.

I played one of the mods that had the bandit ai activated. The melee bandits would never tire,
and bam bam you to death with DPS constant swings. Playing with the pistol packing ones, was the
equivalent of being Butch Cassidy at the end of the movie. They reloaded faster than John Wick,
and never seemed to run out of ammo. Three or more, and you might as well start a new game.

Medieval Mod and Fantasy Mod tempered them quite a bit to make them a good interation with a playthrough.

Although I would like to see a band of them spawned in unsuspectingly on a PVP server. Bang bang
bang, rage quit, bang, rage quit, rage quit, rage quit, There is no Git Gud scenerio. They had
feral sense before there was any, and had a 100% accuracy ray trace mechanic. That would be a
Gud litmus test, to balance adjustments.

4 hours ago, avalonnn said:

Are bandits static or mobile? I would not want them to raid my base while I am not home. I'd like to have  a "no bandits " option.

It seems that they will only appear in POI´s. At least that what i heard in a YT video from Guns, Nerds and Steel at TwitchCon who interviewed them. Can´t find anything from TFP about it though, he didn´t show the interview.  Would be interesting as i was told the amount of zombies needs to stay low so bandits don´t put to much stress on the hardware.

Ditch that. See post below.

Kinda makes sense seeing the limited hardware that consoles have though.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

3 hours ago, avalonnn said:

Are bandits static or mobile? I would not want them to raid my base while I am not home. I'd like to have  a "no bandits " option.

13 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It seems that they will only appear in POI´s. At least that what i heard in a YT video from Guns, Nerds and Steel at TwitchCon who interviewed them. Can´t find anything from TFP about it though, he didn´t show the interview.  Would be interesting as i was told the amount of zombies needs to stay low so bandits don´t put to much stress on the hardware.

Kinda makes sense seeing the limited hardware that consoles have though.

I would be surprised if they didn't also wander and I thought I heard mention of that from maybe faatal, though I may be mistaken.

However, they won't be raiding your base while you are gone as your base wouldn't be loaded if you or other players aren't in the area, the same as with zombies.

I'm personally not interested in bandits.  We will see if they are worth dealing with once they are added.  I doubt they will make them optional, though I wish they would.  A mod probably will, though.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:33 AM, Corvid said:

I've seen no evidence to support any of your claims. Did they announce somewhere that there's no bandits? Did they at any point promise new vehicles? Did they promise new zombie abilities? New weapons? If they did, please link me as I would love to see what was actually said. 

Not to discount your post, but just for some clarification, faatal (I think it was him) did comment on bandits not being in A22, though that may have been a misunderstanding of what version was being discussed.  As for vehicles, they've shown new art for the vehicles and at least one new mod - a plow mod for the front of the 4x4 (probably will add armor, though may be damage instead).  But those aren't new vehicles, just improvements to what we have.  Faatal has mentioned that there is still a possibility of a raft at some point, but no guarantees.  More weapons haven't been discussed as an option that I have seen, but they have talked about adding a few more zombie types, which would imply new abilities to make them different.

Even so, we are at the end of development and most things left will be improvements rather than new stuff.  People need to accept that because it isn't going to be any different.  We have a very limited number of new things coming, but that is all.

Either they are adding @%$#ton of lore for the badits and all other things connected to it, or worse case, milking the game. One thing is for certain. We will not know until we see them in action.

I am also dissapointed, but that's just how the games are nowadays, quality standart is much higher, therefore there is more time involved in development.

On 10/26/2023 at 10:03 AM, Fanatical_Meat said:

Why is everyone so damned focused on Bandits? 

I mean, it's a pretty valid subject to be concerned about. This has been one of the main Kickstarter selling points since the game's inception, and has been in development since at least A15, making it about seven years since we've been waiting for their inclusion.

I'm fairly hyped for bandits, was pretty bummed when I heard it's unlikely they'll make it into 22.. in part because I was under some kind of impression that it was expected for a bit they'd make it into 21, until they were pushed back just 1 more patch.
.. But it is, what it is. Though frustrating, I trust they'll be in a pretty good spot when they get here, and I know those who have been focusing their efforts into bringing the bandits to us are probably pretty disappointed as well.  We've waited this long, what's longer?