I love Repairing my Car every few SECONDS

Don't u Love it too... u just drive through the woods or City and LOD c*cks u so hard that out of nowhere a perfectly hidden on the Surface Ore node appears or a Shopping cart or etc and suddenly 30% and more are carved of your Vehicle in an instant. The change to Vehicle doing more damage to enities was meant to give us a Fun way to Run over zombies.
Ramming Zombies or just anything with colision with these changes ruins your Vehicle faster than just shooting it yourself to destroy it...
Sadly now avoiding everything is the best way to Drive which is harder than thought.
I hope they run this SH*T change back. i can live with Cars doing no damage to Entities... but i can't live with wasting Repair kits after Repair kits every few seconds or Minutes just for driving around.

And it´s not even about the ressources or a difficulty challenge. It´s literally just annoying.

One you have a vehicle where this starts to matter, repair kits aren´t an issue at all.

I would suggest that normal off road driving and hitting objects doesn´t damage the car that much, but hitting entities does still do it.

3 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

And it´s not even about the ressources or a difficulty challenge. It´s literally just annoying.

One you have a vehicle where this starts to matter, repair kits aren´t an issue at all.

I would suggest that normal off road driving and hitting objects doesn´t damage the car that much, but hitting entities does still do it.

Repair kits arent my issue yes. But this adds up over time when i run out of FlexGlue and FlexTape
The issue is that i have to get out of my Car every few seconds to repair it.
i can deal with it if hitting sh*t wouldnt ruin my Car as if it was made out of wetwipes.
Reducing the Damage to only 10Hp when hitting a Block and 5hp a Zombie is Balance enough so that we can hit stuff and still dont waste that much resources simply for Driving around off road or through Cities.
Hitting an Immovable object should take away some Hp yes... but hitting a Squishy rotten Corpse shouldnt take as much Hp away as it does now.

Well i think the whole reason for this was due to popular demand so we can run over zombies again without it beeing too overpowered.

So i would actually reduce the damage when hitting objects and keep the zombie damage. That way you can drive normally and if you want to mow some down you still can but you have to deal with higher damage.

Not realistic or logical, but a good way for nice gameplay.

15 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well i think the whole reason for this was due to popular demand so we can run over zombies again without it beeing too overpowered.

So i would actually reduce the damage when hitting objects and keep the zombie damage. That way you can drive normally and if you want to mow some down you still can but you have to deal with higher damage.

Not realistic or logical, but a good way for nice gameplay.

Reducing the Block damage on your Vehicle would recieve when hitting some Blocks or terrain, would be a nice step forward i would happily welcome

I definitely think the damage the vehicles take is a little over the top, especially given how simple they are to repair. It does count as annoying the number of times you have to repair your vehicle - feels like a mini-game which isn't fun. I nearly destroyed my gyrocopter just because it caught a wheel on a traffic cone. Vehicles could take less damage and just wear down faster, so engineering perks decrease the wear. I also think that repairing anything should consume a repair kit but also some spare parts and require time on the workbench or a new garage bench (looks like an auto-lift - one of those things they raise the car up on to check underneath), just to make it more involving.

I did some recent experimentation and came away thinking the damage was pretty inconsistent. Things like hitting a traffic cone did damage when I didn't think it should. Major things, like driving a 4x4 off of a skyscraper, did not total the vehicle. You have to drive the 4x4 off a skyscraper 2-3 times to total it.

I can feel for the Devs in trying to find a good system and supporting configurations. There's probably a lot to juggle.

There's a modlet out there that makes all vehicles have 10x max damage. I think that's too much, but the modlet is easily edited. I think a better value is somewhere between x2.5 and x5 max damage. Even with that, there will still be nonsensical things doing damage to a vehicle.

7 minutes ago, zztong said:

I did some recent experimentation and came away thinking the damage was pretty inconsistent. Things like hitting a traffic cone did damage when I didn't think it should. Major things, like driving a 4x4 off of a skyscraper, did not total the vehicle. You have to drive the 4x4 off a skyscraper 2-3 times to total it.

I can feel for the Devs in trying to find a good system and supporting configurations. There's probably a lot to juggle.

There's a modlet out there that makes all vehicles have 10x max damage. I think that's too much, but the modlet is easily edited. I think a better value is somewhere between x2.5 and x5 max damage. Even with that, there will still be nonsensical things doing damage to a vehicle.

I share the same feeling. I can't say that is too much or too little because it is inconsistent. I had the 4x4 car overturned without take any damage but also hit a cactus that wrecked around 20% of the same car. 

I like the idea of vehicles being fragile and you have to avoid hitting things with it. It just feels too unpredictable right now. 

5 minutes ago, Lamblaska said:

I share the same feeling. I can't say that is too much or too little because it is inconsistent. I had the 4x4 car overturned without take any damage but also hit a cactus that wrecked around 20% of the same car. 

I like the idea of vehicles being fragile and you have to avoid hitting things with it. It just feels too unpredictable right now. 

Aye... there are things that take of just a few Hp and some things just destroy your Car in seconds.
i tested around and blocks like boulders or blocks that are angled and push your car down or up cause massive Damage for some reason. And driving though the wastelands is like a Roll the dice every few feet to pray to the gods your Vehicle doesnt break down.

No wonder that vehicles take so much damage. They are only held together by tons of duct tape. 😁

At least now we have a reason to use the gyrocopter for longer trips. For shorter trips I use the motorcycle. I have to repair it much less often than the 4x4.

I thought they brought this change about to make it more realistic and less arcade like.

Maybe drive slower, and do less off roading? I mean these aren't tanks, why are we expecting them to have the same level of durability.

Maybe what is needed is a vehicle mod / ram prow type thing to justify the durability people want.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

The increased damage to your vehicle is a really bad change, at least at this level of damage.  Once you have a supercharger, you'll total your vehicle often because the damage increase even more when using that.  And the damage has made it so that driving the 4x4 is not worth it.  Why bother if you have to repair it every time you drive over a bump with one tire because it's so wide that you can't avoid it?  It's made the 4x4 obsolete.

I would change the damage to vehicles if I could figure out how to do so.  I'd be fine at 1/4 of what it is now but not more than that.  If your game starts to lag at all when updating distant graphics, it's very easy to hit things on the road in the city.  Even without that, if you go over a hill where you can't see the other side and you aren't inching your way over it, you're likely going to hit something and take tons of damage.  Or if you drive under a tree and can't see because the camera angle is different from if you were in the driver's seat, you're likely to hit something as well.  Because braking was reduced so much, it isn't even possible to quickly stop to avoid hitting anything.  I'm fine with the braking but the damage is horrible.

5 hours ago, warmer said:

I thought they brought this change about to make it more realistic and less arcade like.

Maybe drive slower, and do less off roading? I mean these aren't tanks, why are we expecting them to have the same level of durability.

Maybe what is needed is a vehicle mod / ram prow type thing to justify the durability people want.

I tend to drive without holding SHIFT and it does help a lot. I've always done that, mostly to save fuel. I could make a go of it with the default. I have no problem with how plowing into a building or a light pole does big damage. What tends to upset me is when something silly, like a collision between a 4x4 and a traffic cone takes away 7%.

On 7/29/2023 at 1:11 AM, ShadeColdfang said:

Don't u Love it too... u just drive through the woods or City and LOD c*cks u so hard that out of nowhere a perfectly hidden on the Surface Ore node appears or a Shopping cart or etc and suddenly 30% and more are carved of your Vehicle in an instant. The change to Vehicle doing more damage to enities was meant to give us a Fun way to Run over zombies.
Ramming Zombies or just anything with colision with these changes ruins your Vehicle faster than just shooting it yourself to destroy it...
Sadly now avoiding everything is the best way to Drive which is harder than thought.
I hope they run this SH*T change back. i can live with Cars doing no damage to Entities... but i can't live with wasting Repair kits after Repair kits every few seconds or Minutes just for driving around.

I agree.  I think the damage done when you hit something is very excessive.  If you're driving the 4x4, it's hard to NOT hit ore or rocks that suddenly appear right in front of you because the turning responsiveness in the truck is very slow.  Hit something full speed...there goes about 17% to 18%.  Also, slightly bump into something...there goes 7%.  I hate having to carry around repair kits now, and it has completely taken the fun out of running over zombies simply because you can't do it anymore.

I don't mind the idea of your vehicle taking damage when you hit something, but it should be no more than half of what it is now.

This is seriously a non issue, I spend a lot of time running over stuff and I drive through every biome in my Jeep.  The damage isn't that bad but I do see your point.  Not everyone finds things amusing.  I'll agree with the terrain being wonky too because I'll be flying through the woods and all of a sudden an ore pops up on my screen and sends me flying but other than that, I don't spend too much time repairing my vehicle until it's under 20% HP.  Repair kits are cheap too and take very little effort to make so I just carry a few hundred on me at a time for my weapons/tools/vehicles.

I spend a lot of my time running over Zombies and the way they splatter and scream is funny, as well as wolves, coyotes and the occasional rabbit or chicken that runs across the street. (Psychotic, I know... let me live...).

That also being said, after a while, I've moved on to traveling everywhere using my gyrocopter and find myself accidentally jumping out of it by accidentally pressing E in the middle of maneuvering which is funny af.

Edited by Someonebetter (see edit history)

On 7/29/2023 at 3:11 AM, ShadeColdfang said:

Have you considered NOT driving like a madman?

1 hour ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Have you considered NOT driving like a madman?

This has nothing to do with whether someone is driving like a madman. Objects often appear only a few meters in front of you. I suspect this is because objects like cars don't have a low poly model for long distances, and since you're moving comparatively fast with a vehicle, the game barely has time to render them.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

This has nothing to do with whether someone is driving like a madman. Objects often appear only a few meters in front of you. I suspect this is because objects like cars don't have a low poly model for long distances, and since you're moving comparatively fast with a vehicle, the game barely has time to render them.

indeed... stuff pops out of nowhere right in front of you. you drive on a empty looking road and Boom... a Car suddenly apears and u crash into it cuz u could'nt react to it in time and boom u lose quite a chunk of Hp from your car.
I dont know what TFP changed or did to make 7 days render and LOD so slowly and worse than in a20

29 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Is it possible that just the default for LOD has changed between alphas? When I started playing A21 I went into a city and wondered why I only saw very few buildings ahead. It seemed much less than in the previous alpha.

it has changed... i played around with console commands and LOD activation distance and things and when i use the command gfx lodbias 2 there is instantly a noticable improvement of LOD objects rendering further away without a noticable impact of performance.
But Cars, containers, shopping carts, trash piles, windows and so on load in waaaay further away so it looks playable... and cars load in way sooner on roads giving you plenty of time to avoid them...
So the Fun pimps toyed around with LOD and made it so low that it reduces performance impact on the pc but also makes the game less immersive and worse to play cuz stuff vanishes in eyesight and pops in out of nowhere... also this LOD rendering change impacts Zombie sleeper triggers where a room can be empty but suddenly Zombies spawn in your neck... before u saw them in the room already. there has to be other ways of improving performance

I've learned to navigate by roads.  Taking shortcuts with a minibike or motorcycle through forests and deserts is all well and good but with a 4x4 you just need to stick to roads.  I suppose "git gud" applies here lol.  I haven't had to repair but a couple of times (and I play upwards of 6 hours a day.)

13 minutes ago, Rizzano said:

I've learned to navigate by roads.  Taking shortcuts with a minibike or motorcycle through forests and deserts is all well and good but with a 4x4 you just need to stick to roads.  I suppose "git gud" applies here lol.  I haven't had to repair but a couple of times (and I play upwards of 6 hours a day.)

Big brain here eh?.

guess what i do... the same as u.

the issue is all the changes in a21 making driving unfun and resource wasting.

and please... there is the door with all the people who care about the "git gud"

30 minutes ago, ShadeColdfang said:

Big brain here eh?.

guess what i do... the same as u.

the issue is all the changes in a21 making driving unfun and resource wasting.

and please... there is the door with all the people who care about the "git gud"

I concur. I'm a pretty careful driver (except with the stupid gyro, I struggle with it) and the damage is stupid. So is the fuel consumption.

I modded the durability values to like x10 which I think might be overcompensating (for everything but the gyrocopter, @%$# you!), but I am still trying to find the "feels good" spot.

I don't understand what they have against vehicular zombicide either, I mean the motorcycle & 4x4 look like they are made for it. When they first added the motorcycle I had endless fun running over zeds with it. But The No-Fun Pimps way is to give us fun stuff and then take it away.