Alpha 21 ursurped by..

fragtzack

Well, since a15 all new alphas have been released (that I remember) before christmas. But now, this a21 is not fitting in that time line. 

Been planning since Dec 2021 to start playing Alpha 21 in Dec 2022 or Jan 2023. That WAS the plan.

But now Alpha 21 has to wait even if release tomorrow, because KSP2 is on the 24th. 

<rude> delayed release dates.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mounty said:

Squirrels? I was hoping for monkey's.

They decided not to use monkeys when the local monkey union (Union to Not Keep Listening to Everyone) threatened to strike because monkeys get blamed for everything.

I am not saying this as a monkey or a member of Monkeys U.N.K.L.E

8 hours ago, Gamida said:

They decided not to use monkeys when the local monkey union (Union to Not Keep Listening to Everyone) threatened to strike because monkeys get blamed for everything.

I am not saying this as a monkey or a member of Monkeys U.N.K.L.E

The Monkees - Wikipedia

On 2/17/2023 at 2:33 AM, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s only a week until Sons of the forest releases, so i don´t mind that A21 still isn´t anywhere near releasing. No dev streams yet, so i guess it´s another 2 months at least.

Sons of the Forest in March

Smalland in April (29 March)

V Rising update in May (maybe)

Nightingale before July (maybe)

Look, I don't want to break any NDAs, so this will be light on details... but let's just say I saw a preview, and TFP have decided to try to include a mix of pre-trained models and generative adversarial networks in A21.

All towns will now be dynamically generated using pre-trained models from Google street view. All zombies are people generated in real time via API calls  from https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ and have the Snapchat Zombie filter applied https://lens.snapchat.com/7f5a05251f474996b3bc18a66556a475

To top it all off, everything is ray traced for realistic lighting, shadows and reflections, rendered in 16k resolution, downscaled back to whatever your screen can show. 

The thing holding them back? The entire office is on one 56k baud modem, and the bot scraping street view as a bot has been given lowest class of service. To make it worse, all the devs are bored waiting for street view to finish scraping, so they're chewing most the bandwidth watching youtube.

It'll be worth waiting for though!

9 hours ago, Maharin said:

I'd bet they're still using a single 64k ISDN line.  It at least qualifies as broadband... barely.

Ah, if they have that big a link, surely they would have scraped all of Google Street View by now - even if it was just over night and on weekends.

My next guess is that Joel and Richard were both investigating ChatGPT to give traders and later, bandits, more variation in their dialogue. They both saw the potential it had, and connected it to their Microsoft Teams account without telling the other, so they could take a holiday while looking like they were still working from home.

In the mean time, all the junior devs are looking on in bemusement as ChatGPT is arguing with itself under their names on whether killing zombies in a computer game is ethically right, and won't make any decisions on whether bandits should be included or not.

I'm sure it'll get sorted out once they return from holiday and have time to go through the 7000 pages of discussion ChatGPT had on their behalf. :)

On 2/21/2023 at 4:57 AM, FinkPloyd said:

Sons of the Forest in March

Smalland in April (29 March)

V Rising update in May (maybe)

Nightingale before July (maybe)

Yeah i know. Also Derelicts is looking very promising.

And to top it off, Borderlands 3 is 20€ with all DLC´s right now. We couldn´t resist that one. It´s gonna be a busy gaming year.

I wonder what the real reason for the delay is, would be nice if they'd just come out with it. I mean isin't A21 like 90% just art assets anyway? Other than that its mostly other crap no one cares about. Water people may care about but I bet its just going to be a15 water with more restrictions on where/what it can flow from to prevent base flooding episodes on pve servers like back before water was changed the first time.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:29 AM, Scyris said:

I mean isin't A21 like 90% just art assets anyway?

CONFIRMED A21 FEATURES

• New Places of Interest
  • New Decorations
    • Cars, trucks, tractors
    • Furniture and many many new items
  • Additional Advanced World Generation Options
    • Biome Percent Sliders (included in Alpha 20.6)
  • Learn By Reading System
    • 23 new skills to govern crafting (photo in gallery below)
    • 23 new magazines added to loot
    • Perks no longer unlock recipes or govern crafting at all
    • The only schematics that still unlock recipes are mod attachments. 
    • Crafting skill is increased by finding and reading magazines
    • Skill increases unlock recipes at certain points as well as increase quality of crafting for items with quality
    • Each tech level has a separate range in the skill spectrum so that you have to work up through primitive tech and then iron tech and then steel tech and being able to craft a blue stone axe no long means you automatically can also craft a blue iron axe.
    •  Some skills have 100 levels but others have less depending on how many unlocks there are for recipes and quality tiers.
    • A new skill page showing your progress has been added to the player interface (photo in gallery below)
    • Skill magazines can be found, bought, and/or received as quest rewards. The topic of the magazine matches the location you would expect to find it in the world.
    • Perks slightly affect the probability of finding like-themed magazines and parts for those recipes. Perk into shotguns and you will notice more shotgun magazines and shotgun parts appearing in the world. It isn't a significant bonus but it does prevent the player from being screwed over.
    • When you max out a skill, that slight probability bonus granted by perks for finding the corresponding magazine for that skill drops off. The magazine will still show up randomly in loot but no longer have a boost. The probability boost for finding matching parts will remain.
  • Interactive Environmental Hazards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mgZ9zB9m4 
    • Flaming broken gas pipes blocking the way. A valve to turn off the gas flow is located elsewhere.
  • Doors
    • Double Doors
    • Partially damaged doors with large holes can be shot/meleed through to damage enemies on the other side
  • Water Simulation
    • All new water coding--water is no longer a block but a water voxel
    • Water voxels flow into neighboring voxels that are marked to allow it.
    • Water can be in the same space as a block
    • Water does not flow or fall continuously like a river or a waterfall
    • Player movement in water has been enhanced
  • Armor
    • New Iron Armor 
    • New Commando Military Armor
    • More details to come.
  • Drinking Water Rebalance
    • Murky water is the only water found in loot and water sources.
    • Empty Glass bottles removed from game to match all the rest of the containers in the game
    • Dew collector work station added
    • Players can drink murky water directly from water sources with empty hand by pressing "e".
    • Drinking murky water causes 5 hp of damage and has a chance to give dysentery
    • Pot is now required to boil murky water into boiled water
    • Glue crafting taken into consideration
  • Spears
    • Spear damage increased
    • Spear power attack is a thrust instead of a throw
    • Throw attack for spears removed
  • Chunk Reset Option
    • Default is disabled
    • Options for days all the way up to 70 days
    • Chunk resets to its pregenerated state if no player has entered the chunk after the number of days selected.
    • An active LCB or bedroll will prevent a chunk from resetting.
  • Trader Changes
    • New Trader compounds
    • Trader inventories rebalanced with the new crafting progression
    • Removal of Secret Stash
    • Further specialization of traders and what they carry
  • Electricity Changes
    • Wires only visible when holding wire cutting tool
  • Player HUD changes
    • Danger Meter added to show danger level of biomes and POIs
    • Crafting Recipe Tracker can be toggled to show on the HUD to help players as they gather materials needed for crafting
  • Perk Rebalancing
    • Sexual T-Rex removed. Stamina improvement now incorporated into the separate perks for each relevant weapon
    • Each attribute will get its own version of Flurry of Blows as an additional perk for the melee weapons within that attribute
    • Grease Monkey now increases the amount of health that repair kits restore to vehicles. (One repair kit no longer restores a vehicle back to max health)
  • Vehicle Changes
    • Repair kits restore a fixed amount of health and each level of Grease Monkey adds 10% of the vehicle's total health to the amount restored.
    • Increased vehicle damage to blocks, terrain, and entities by various amounts.
    • Increased vehicle damage received from collisions by various amounts
    • Improved vehicle block collision calculations
    • Greatly increased damage given and received to and from block collision.
    • Increased bicycle, gyro, and 4x4 helath
    • Vehicle spark effects on bigger self damage hits
    • Vehicle blood splatter effects on high damage collisions with entities

Yeah, 90% seems about right...

On 2/23/2023 at 5:37 PM, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yeah i know. Also Derelicts is looking very promising.

And to top it off, Borderlands 3 is 20€ with all DLC´s right now. We couldn´t resist that one. It´s gonna be a busy gaming year.

Yes, Derelicts looks promising.

As does Return to Moria.