Do I have to buy this game again when it goes gold?

ElCabong

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2022 at 11:42 PM, Pernicious said:

I've only had one other early acess game on steam, but my understanding is no. You buy it, you get all versions all the way to the end. In order to charge more, they need to release a version 2 or DLC

Shhhhh. Don't give 'em ideas, you muppet.

On 12/14/2022 at 6:52 PM, Syphon583 said:

I've played a few Early Access games and I've NEVER had to pay more once the game was released. That would be an extremely bad move for any company to make.

This, i've bought into several early access titles and never had to rebuy it once it went gold. Of course any dlc released after gold/release aren't usually free, but thats normal for any game.

On 12/14/2022 at 7:06 PM, Riamus said:

No need to pay twice. You paid for gold and were just given early access on top of that.

That and the release version is often more expensive than when it was in early access, so you actually got the release/gold version often cheaper than anyone else. Not all of them have a price increase on release but some do. You just need to be careful with early access titles, before you buy watch it for a bit, see how active the devs are, see how often its updated in Early access etc before you buy. Early access is a moderate risk as you never know when the dev will well stop working on the game, but if you watch it for a bit see how active the devs are, you can usually weed out the ones just going for a quick cash grab and drop.