Why do you want a grenade when you have explosive crossbow bolts?

ElCabong

1 hour ago, theFlu said:

You can also deploy a desired dosage of doomballs pre-emptively; wait for the crowd and the detonate them all at once.

Same for the pipe bombs.

Junkyard is great for this on BM.

The pit in the garage section.   Zeds do gather there.

Toss a bunch of unlit bombs, then 1 molotov, then 1 lit pipe bomb.

Bonus points for bouncing a flaming zed off the ceiling!   :D

2 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

Same for the pipe bombs.

Junkyard is great for this on BM.

The pit in the garage section.   Zeds do gather there.

Toss a bunch of unlit bombs, then 1 molotov, then 1 lit pipe bomb.

Bonus points for bouncing a flaming zed off the ceiling!   :D

I love it when people do their homework.   5 stars.   You don't even need perks in it to make the fireworks worthwhile.

As for ElCabong, I think it has something to do with the fact that PER builds have a more narrow focus so they get the special pyrotechnics.

AGI is really about flexibility, and thus they have a lot of little love spread out here and there.

Personally?  I think both aspects are useful.

I still want a bow or crossbow that shoots buzzards.  Meaning buzzards are the ammo that gets fired at your target.  Dead or a live, doesn't matter, since any response to buzzards flying at you at high speeds is usually well within "freak out" territory.

I think the only time I've ever used a pipe bomb or any explosive at all was to simply troll another player. I find them to be useless and a waste of materials against zombies. Maybe it's just personal preference though.

12 minutes ago, Fox said:

I think the only time I've ever used a pipe bomb or any explosive at all was to simply troll another player. I find them to be useless and a waste of materials against zombies. Maybe it's just personal preference though.

There is a few horde base builds for early game where pipe bombs are an easy way to deal with the horde. Getting enough ammo if you don´t wanna melee is kinda hard.

36 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

There is a few horde base builds for early game where pipe bombs are an easy way to deal with the horde. Getting enough ammo if you don´t wanna melee is kinda hard.

I don't know... I've never had an issue with ammo early game, though it did become more difficult with ammo late stage, but the devs fixed that a few updates ago, so now my supply of ammo never runs out, ever. Even if I did, I always set my base up in a way where there's more than enough traps to hold them back without firing a single shot or melee attack, and even if they managed to reach the base, I could get them with melee through the windows with the solid core foundation being 2 blocks above ground so getting to me is near impossible for them. Mind you, I do use melee most of the time when I'm out looting for stuff.

@Fox I mainly use melee outside of the horde night aswell, but during the blood moon it kinda annoys me. I rather have them die quick. Later on i use guns for hordenight and only go back to explosives once the demolishers show up, using the rocketlauncher. I do use grenades i find from looting, just for seeing them flying trough the air though.

At the start of horde night, I am typically using cocktails to catch the Zs on fire - I use a combination of spike traps and firearms / bows to take them down.  Once they get to a point to take out some of the bars, I switch to pipe bombs and grenades to chuck through the convenient hole they made for me  😁

Then when they completely breach an area, they are good for raining down from above to clear them out when they bunch up.

I don't mass produce the pipe bombs or grenades, but use the ones I find in loot and buy from the traders.

dropping a grenade behind you while running for your life can be a really effective way of getting some distance between you and those is pursuit, Especially when in a building or in places without long lines of sight. However, out in the open I'd go with a more accurate approach like an explosive ammo of some kind.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

On 7/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, Rotor said:

Can you fast pitch a grenade to a flying vulture?

Contact grenades could work. Also don't forget about the single player/MP oversight by TFP. if your pvp setting is set to "no killing" your now immune to your own explosions in single player games/on servers too I assume. Works for everything except molotovs and land mines. I haven't tested the MP version but i'd assume it'd work in MP as well with the same setting.

On 7/27/2022 at 11:09 AM, Fox said:

I personally love pipe bombs.  Even if you have 1 perk in explosives and atom candy, and its more than worth the cost.

I've gone through many stacks in a single blood moon.   I love tossin' em down hatches too in POI's.

Though, be prepared for the stealth builders to complain about the noise level. 

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ray Garraty said:

Yeah, grenades require springs, collecting which can be tiresome.

So my vote is for exploding bolts and pipe bombs

Good thing salvager and demo man are in the same skill tree...

Once you get salvager 4, a tier 5 basic wrench and an ironbreaker mod you'll one shot most salvagable objects as your block damage reaches 100 on iron.  Cars are pretty good for springs but it's beds, especially bunk beds that are an absolute goldmine.  You get ten springs per bed.  One army barracks or ranch bunkhouse will give you well over 100 springs for literally a couple of minutes' work.

Grenades pack a seriously increased punch over a pipe bomb (5m blast radius instead of 4m hits a lot more targets - the 30% extra damage is also nice) and take only very slightly more gunpowder.  Pipe bombs do a great job early game, though.

The things I don't find that useful are contact grenades.  They're handy to deal with roaming hordes when out and about (I play Khaine's mod so huge roaming hordes are common) but for base defence you want to be able to bounce your grenades down chutes.  A favourite of mine is making the outside wall of my base out of shallow 'v' gable blocks then put a catwalk of bars around the outside about six blocks up.  The 'v' of the gable blocks leaves channels down to the ground which you can drop a grenade down in between shooting through the bars.

I cannon use pipe bombes and non-contact grenades in my horde base, because what I have is essentially a narrow corridor with no floor on the sides (to avoid loot bags piling up obstructing the view), so exploding bolts and contact grenades are best for me personally