Compo-Pack for Random Gen

Magoli

Again with the lights comment. I question server hardware and client hardware. I don't have a super computer, but what I do have runs 7 Days great and when I run through the city I do see an FPS drop, but it's maybe a drop of only 10 FPS. I usually get 60-65 fps roaming outside cities and in the cities I may drop to 50 fps at the lowest and that usually only when I first visit a city and it loads in.

I also run a server and when watching the server stats I never see the CPU or memory peg out, I also never notice any lag nor do the players on the server. Now this may all just be luck for me, who knows.

While I know the lights can cause an issue, as a test I placed about 20 prefabs down that were known to have excessive lights. I then left the area and came back I noticed at most a 15 fps drop on first entering the area then noticing it level out at around 50.

I am unsure why so many people have issues with fps, but there are way to many variables without concrete info.

@ RedLotus

Is you server Linux or Windows? What is the specs on it?

One person in this one is fine, two people and FPS is DEAD.

I just turned off all the lights, I like that idea anyway. (Who is manning the power generators anyway?) And I'll see if that helps.

John

@jdragun:

As I've read you run a Linux server, which is perfectly fine. I for myself started with the Windows server version and people complained about world not generated fast enough. Since I changed to Linux, no problems anymore. From a performance perspective this is not your problem.

As for the lighting. It really doesn't depend on the server, as it is a client (rendering) issue. If you can figure out the prefab, that is causing the problem, we can have a look into it (lights do have several states, some are known to cause more lag).

Remember that this is a pack with a lot of different prefabs built by other people. If we know where to look, we might be able to improve the performance, by either changing the lighting state or disabling some lights.

@ RedLotus

Is you server Linux or Windows? What is the specs on it?

One person in this one is fine, two people and FPS is DEAD.

I just turned off all the lights, I like that idea anyway. (Who is manning the power generators anyway?) And I'll see if that helps.

John

To be honest I am unsure of the exact specs of the server as it is hosted with Blue Fang which was recommended via TFP. I do know we have had 12 people on the server at one time without issue. I do know the server is Linux based though and seems to run like a champ. From what I have read someone people either don't like BlueFang or their support, but I haven't had an issue with the server, the control panel or their support.

@jdragun:

As I've read you run a Linux server, which is perfectly fine. I for myself started with the Windows server version and people complained about world not generated fast enough. Since I changed to Linux, no problems anymore. From a performance perspective this is not your problem.

As for the lighting. It really doesn't depend on the server, as it is a client (rendering) issue. If you can figure out the prefab, that is causing the problem, we can have a look into it (lights do have several states, some are known to cause more lag).

Remember that this is a pack with a lot of different prefabs built by other people. If we know where to look, we might be able to improve the performance, by either changing the lighting state or disabling some lights.

I completely agree here. The idea of this prefab pack to me is it is a community effort. I almost find this prefab pack essential to me playing the game and enjoying it. As I have made a few of the prefabs in the pack I know that they can causes issues for people. It isn't too hard to pinpoint which prefabs are causing issues at times. If you get a huge FPS drop make note of what is in your field of view and turn your back to it and see if the FPS goes back up. If it does move in the direction of the FPS drop and try and pinpoint which building it is. Take a screenshot of the building and then we as prefabbers with the help of Mag can pinpoint the issue.

I do think if you are getting huge FPS drops down below 10fps in the city it is possibly a machine issue, but it could very well be a prefab issue. In the current version of the pack I do get some FPS drops in the city (10-20FPS drop) and I am trying to pinpoint those to make an effort to make the pack better.

With that said, you can't expect there to be no FPS drop at all, it's going to happen that's the nature of the beast...when there is a lot of moving parts or lots of loading sometimes you're going to take an FPS hit, but it should never be to the point of 10fps or lower in 7 Days unless you have an entire building fall or something that major. Otherwise, I think it may just be computer hardware issues.

Just my two cents and trying to help out where I can.

Edit the rwgmixer. You can leave the prefabs in the prefab folder. Just add a <!-- before and a --> after

Tks man. I think some of this buildings turns very easy to survive like the 6 forges house, the kung fu field with a lot dead bodies and others

I switched the lights off in all of the prefabs using Hal's editor, not for a performance gain, but just because I prefer a world without power. I have to say, it is not the performance boost it used to be in previous alphas. Just to be a bit more thorough I also tried switching all the light blocks to air. Neither seemed to result in any significant performance boost for anyone on my server.

If you want to turn all the lights out here’s what I did. Replace all the block code for lights with this

<property name="Material" value="air" />
       <property name="Shape" value="Invisible" />
       <property name="Texture" value="250" />
   </block>

The light block numbers are 316-326, 364, 1551. This doesn’t seem to give as big of FPS boost as it did in 13 but it still helps.There does still seem to be something causing a serous frame drop but I haven’t had time to try and track down the POI/Block causing it.

Ok, now i see what i have to do.

But i don't know if i will have to do it in all prefabs or just in one file

We have a theory why we are experiencing some drops when first entering the hub city:

- some structural integrity is at play and "something, somewhere" is falling down

Why ?

2X we entered the main city hub for the 1st time we started hearing metallic sound like if some buildings or blocks were falling down. Since we dont know how looks the prefabs "in a pristine form", we dont know if when passing by them they are OK or were subjected to something.

Those first times were dropping us to 5fps, then PC frozen. After several clients reset, we could get 15FPS.

Some prefabs do have fallen rocks/wood spots. We are less and less sure those are features done by people.

We have a theory why we are experiencing some drops when first entering the hub city:

- some structural integrity is at play and "something, somewhere" is falling down

Why ?

2X we entered the main city hub for the 1st time we started hearing metallic sound like if some buildings or blocks were falling down. Since we dont know how looks the prefabs "in a pristine form", we dont know if when passing by them they are OK or were subjected to something.

Those first times were dropping us to 5fps, then PC frozen. After several clients reset, we could get 15FPS.

Some prefabs do have fallen rocks/wood spots. We are less and less sure those are features done by people.

I have said this over and over. Also if you kill a hornet it will fall and destroy the block/s under it that it lands on

If you want to turn all the lights out here’s what I did. Replace all the block code for lights with this

<property name="Material" value="air" />
       <property name="Shape" value="Invisible" />
       <property name="Texture" value="250" />
   </block>

The light block numbers are 316-326, 364, 1551. This doesn’t seem to give as big of FPS boost as it did in 13 but it still helps.There does still seem to be something causing a serous frame drop but I haven’t had time to try and track down the POI/Block causing it.

Occlusion? Vote h0tr0d 2016 -- We see all angles

How do you mean exactly.

Did you copy compo pack prefab folder then open game prefab folder and paste or did you just replace the prefab folder.

Did you replace the game rwgmixer with mags rwg mixer.

Could you please upload your rwgmixer so we can help you sort the issue. Also your outputlog

Heres my rwgmixer http://pastebin.com/xP7SQYrJ

Outputlog http://pastebin.com/i42qNUaz

screenshot: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660132885

Ok looking at your RWG I pick up this -

<hub_rules>

<hub_rule name="cityCommon">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<width value="515, 515" />

<height value="618, 618" />

<path_material value="asphalt" />

<path_radius value="7" />

<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub" prob="1"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="wastycity">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<width value="309, 309" />

<height value="412, 412" />

<prefab_rule name="wastycityPOIs" prob="1"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="WastyTown">

<hub_type value="town"/>

<width value="100, 200" />

<height value="100, 200" />

<prefab_rule name="WastyTown"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="oldWestTown">

<hub_type value="town"/>

<width value="120, 120" />

<height value="120, 120" />

<prefab_rule name="oldWestTown"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="CoronadoCity">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<width value="206, 206" />

<height value="206, 206" />

<prefab_rule name="CoronadoCity" prob="1" />

</hub_rule>

Correct is highlighted green

Wrong is highlighted red

As far as I know the values need to look similar to this -

<width value="515, 618" />

<height value="515, 618" />

where as you had -

change the ones where you have the values wrong to the format I have posted that is correct.

if you still have issues or dont understand let me know

Why ?

I know it is likely impossible to grab a screenshot while the server is slowed to a crawl during a collapse, but we all need to start providing as much context as possible when describing the issues we are having. Try to note the surroundings as much as possible.

What prefab might have collapsed? Was a zombie, player or animal walking on it at the time? What cityblock did it spawn on? Did the cityblock fail to spawn in entirely? Did the terrain filler fail to spawn in? What elevation is the hub at? Did terrain decorations spawn in and clip a portion of the building? Might there be a cave or other large structure under it? Were there any console errors at the time? Did it collapse on initial chunk generation?

These are some of the things I would have my server try and report to me if at all possible.

I know it is likely impossible to grab a screenshot while the server is slowed to a crawl during a collapse, but we all need to start providing as much context as possible when describing the issues we are having. Try to note the surroundings as much as possible.

What prefab might have collapsed? Was a zombie, player or animal walking on it at the time? What cityblock did it spawn on? Did the cityblock fail to spawn in entirely? Did the terrain filler fail to spawn in? What elevation is the hub at? Did terrain decorations spawn in and clip a portion of the building? Might there be a cave or other large structure under it? Were there any console errors at the time? Did it collapse on initial chunk generation?

These are some of the things I would have my server try and report to me if at all possible.

Well i just changed all my materials to 40000 in strength and 200 mass. No more collapsing blocks and fps is improved :-). Does that count

Ok looking at your RWG I pick up this -

<hub_rules>

<hub_rule name="cityCommon">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub" prob="1"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="wastycity">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<width value="309, 309" />

<height value="412, 412" />

<prefab_rule name="wastycityPOIs" prob="1"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="WastyTown">

<hub_type value="town"/>

<width value="100, 200" />

<height value="100, 200" />

<prefab_rule name="WastyTown"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="oldWestTown">

<hub_type value="town"/>

<width value="120, 120" />

<height value="120, 120" />

<prefab_rule name="oldWestTown"/>

</hub_rule>

<hub_rule name="CoronadoCity">

<hub_type value="city"/>

<width value="206, 206" />

<height value="206, 206" />

<prefab_rule name="CoronadoCity" prob="1" />

</hub_rule>

Correct is highlighted green

Wrong is highlighted red

As far as I know the values need to look similar to this -

<width value="515, 618" />

<height value="515, 618" />

where as you had -

change the ones where you have the values wrong to the format I have posted that is correct.

if you still have issues or dont understand let me know

Ok will make the changes, but this is the RWG from the combo pack. im also running the VALMOD

Archived