Compo-Pack for Random Gen

Magoli

I didn't have much time to test this out, but the skyscraper building had a glitch on the first floor, I didn't like the space shuttle prefab, the zombie roof farm prefab with bedrock blocks and a slope like church, because I feel that they don't fit in the game world. The strip club's design from the outside is pathetic, a box, inside was nice, but the outside wasn't very appealing to me either.

Most of the prefabs look good, when some look amazing, others not so much, as well as there are bugs and some as pointed above don't fit in or are made without thinking about them blending in the game. One building had a chunk cut out of it as well, don't remember which exactly.

In conclusion I don't want to offend any author of those prefabs, because its nice to have variety and I know how hard is to make a decent prefab, but from a perspective of a server owner, that wants to keep a certain feel and atmosphere in the game, I will have to take my time in testing them personally, filter out some of the ones that don't quite fit in.

Anyways, great job collecting them all up and preparing them for A12.1! :)

I didn't have much time to test this out, but the skyscraper building had a glitch on the first floor, I didn't like the space shuttle prefab, the zombie roof farm prefab with bedrock blocks and a slope like church, because I feel that they don't fit in the game world. The strip club's design from the outside is pathetic, a box, inside was nice, but the outside wasn't very appealing to me either.

Most of the prefabs look good, when some look amazing, others not so much, as well as there are bugs and some as pointed above don't fit in or are made without thinking about them blending in the game. One building had a chunk cut out of it as well, don't remember which exactly.

In conclusion I don't want to offend any author of those prefabs, because its nice to have variety and I know how hard is to make a decent prefab, but from a perspective of a server owner, that wants to keep a certain feel and atmosphere in the game, I will have to take my time in testing them personally, filter out some of the ones that don't quite fit in.

Anyways, great job collecting them all up and preparing them for A12.1! :)

You don't want to offend any of the Prefab authors??? This is incredibly rude of you. If you don't like a prefab REMOVE IT. Dont' come here telling people how bad they are. Wow....

If I had not taken the time to thoroughly test this using vanilla settings, and vanilla POIs I would not recommend people report the issue. Checking that it is not your mod causing something is modding 101. ;)

The rwgmixer is supposed to populate towns with POIs, it isn't working. Man we report bears aren't working, stone arrows and stuff but major mechanics that help us modders create new things for players and we can't get any support. Oh well, I tried. Goodluck.

I wasn't trying to knock you. I was just saying in the stock game the empty blocks don't seem to happen . Maybe I was just lucky and never saw any . Either way not that big of a deal now . I found a good seed that populates well . So I'm happy thanks again to both of you and all the guys who helped out .

Hey Mag, great work on the prefabs! The gun shop you put in is one of my favorite buildings in the game. I've noticed a recurring issue with a building though, I don't know the name of it, and I can't get a picture but the "house" that has glass blocks in the V area of the roof just falls apart the minute you touch the roof. Sometimes it will fall apart when I just get near it. The collapse is always from the left side (if looking at the front door)

Thanks again for the awesome work you do

Hey Mag, great work on the prefabs! The gun shop you put in is one of my favorite buildings in the game. I've noticed a recurring issue with a building though, I don't know the name of it, and I can't get a picture but the "house" that has glass blocks in the V area of the roof just falls apart the minute you touch the roof. Sometimes it will fall apart when I just get near it. The collapse is always from the left side (if looking at the front door)

That is a sign the house wasnt built with structural integrity in mind. In some cases this is a nice element for a broken down building.

I wasn't trying to knock you. I was just saying in the stock game the empty blocks don't seem to happen . Maybe I was just lucky and never saw any . Either way not that big of a deal now . I found a good seed that populates well . So I'm happy thanks again to both of you and all the guys who helped out .

That is ok. It's just that there was a lot of work done by Magoli, myself and others to get all these prefabs and the mixer working and the last part is to see big beautiful towns full of the POIs.

The fact the seed altered whether it would populate is actually helpful information. In all my testing it was variances of the same seed as I wasn't testing the terrain generation just towns, so there appears to be some of the seed algorithm in town placement. Although it should work with any seed so there is still a bug to be fixed.

All info is good info anyway.

Yo - i think i know which one u mean.I

ts Cabin(by_Sudo)

This one has tons of missroted and displaced blocks on the left roofside now !!!

I don't know why or when this happend. But it will be fixed.

It is already on my todolist when I rollback to 11.4 again !!!

btw:

I repaired today 5 big-POI's (the TWD,Hospital,the mill and the 2Shoppingmalls.

They are working now. And spawn without problems in NAVA.

Now i try to let them appear in RWG too.

The other Prison is actual to big (the one with the 6 watchtowers). It is 161 by 100 blocks.

I can give it a try - but IMO it will don't look good.

Such a big prefab always has bad boarders, looks displaced and just ruins the landscape !!!

And the last of the removed 7 big prefabs is the Recycling-minitown. It is also repaired and works !!! But:

It has 4 units and a street between. It can only spawn rural or wilderness (limited by its size !!!)

Its 3 little buildings on one side of the street. And the big Recycling-area on the other side.

I want to change that. IMO it is better to let the Recyclingunit spawn alone as rural (So the size would be much smaller. ==> nicer looking and better boarders to the landscape !!!)

And put the other 3 buildings and let them spawn singely in towns. And also make a City-prefab from this 3 !!!

Because IMO they r very nice and should appear more often then as only rural sometimes !!!

I didn't ask the creator for permission yet. But what do u guys think about that idea !?!?!?!?!

Today i also started to repair an old and lost prefab from BigC - its a large office-building !!

Tommorow i take care of all the Vanilla-prefabs. Perhaps i can make a tweak to someones like in PackV2-5 !!!

So far - so what

Mag

Tommorow i take care of all the Vanilla-prefabs. Perhaps i can make a tweak to someones like in PackV2-5 !!!

Mag

Now that the pack is released and people have started using it on their servers, I think there needs to be an clear way for people to update.

The list of POIs should have new ones added so it is clear what is new and how to add the new entries to our rwgmixer files. Files should not be renamed unless it is absolutely necessary - to avoid nullreference errors when we use the new POIs.

Just some suggestions to make it easier for server admins to use the pack as it updates.

Its very strange to hear Linux server crashing LOL

Well the gameserver is unstable on Ubuntu server and it's crashing 1-2 times/day. It is very annoying.

I remember it was unstable too in the first versions of Alpha 11 too, then they fixed.

Hey - rocco

I have tried to repair ur airport and also the theater

But i couldn't do it !!!

The glass of the tower (airport) colapses in this creation

And the theater is a little bit too big (and also unfurnished too)

Paerhaps u have working versions of it ???

I think you mixed me by someone, I didn't make any prefabs yet. :)

I like to do little prefabs, the things that make a town seem more real. I can make them look like they belong in nav but do not really understand the random gen side.

If I were to make something as simple as a rest area, is there a way to make it spawn near roads in the correct direction to actually look like it belongs there?

Little things like parks, intersections, and even small fishing holes or small little crappy strip centers would go a long way towards making the towns look more real, but only if they were placed in logical locations. Even small little crabby strip centers would go a long way towards me the more real, but only if they were placed in logical locations.

Does the system work like that or is it a crap shoot?

Might want to check into this...

<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub">

<prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>

<prefab rule="citypois" prob="1"/>

<prefab rule="rubbleBuildingsWaste" prob="0.4"/>

<prefab rule="hardwareStores" min_count="1" max_count="1" prob="0.9"/>

<prefab rule="gasStations" min_count="1" max_count="1" prob="0.9"/>

</prefab_rule>

I was not getting a hardware store in the main city until I added this. I'm new to this but I spawned a dozen maps will different seeds and no hardware stores. So I "think" I kinda fixed it cause it works now :)

Please let me know if I messed up. Thanks

I like to do little prefabs, the things that make a town seem more real. I can make them look like they belong in nav but do not really understand the random gen side.

If I were to make something as simple as a rest area, is there a way to make it spawn near roads in the correct direction to actually look like it belongs there?

Little things like parks, intersections, and even small fishing holes or small little crappy strip centers would go a long way towards making the towns look more real, but only if they were placed in logical locations. Even small little crabby strip centers would go a long way towards me the more real, but only if they were placed in logical locations.

Does the system work like that or is it a crap shoot?

That would be cool. And it is possible. The way you would approach it is by using the "MixedPOI" approach. Magoli has done it for the City POIs. You take several smaller POIs and combine them into one. For example, you combine a nice little grass rest area, with bench, parking, maybe a BBQ and some trees, make it zoned for plains, forest or pine forest, and then add a little water POI. Group that together and you can then mix up the rural POIs a bit. Rest stop + gas station, etc.

Might want to check into this...

I was not getting a hardware store in the main city until I added this. I'm new to this but I spawned a dozen maps will different seeds and no hardware stores. So I "think" I kinda fixed it cause it works now :)

Please let me know if I messed up. Thanks

That is one way to do it, more of a brute force approach and sometimes the engine needs that because it is not reliable in the way it spawns POIs.

The method I use is straight forward, but seems to work closer to 100% of the time -

<prefab_rule name="wastelandHub">
		<prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>
		<!-- <prefab rule="cityBuildingsCommon" /> -->
		<!-- <prefab rule="cityBuildingsUncommon" min_count="5" max_count="10" /> -->
		<!-- <prefab rule="cityBuildingsRare" min_count="5" max_count="10" /> -->
		<prefab rule="cityHousing" max_count="6"/>
		<prefab rule="gasStations" max_count="3"/>
		<prefab rule="hardwareStores" max_count="2" />
		<prefab rule="bookStores" max_count="2" />
		<prefab rule="parking" max_count="3"/>
		<prefab rule="groceryStores" max_count="3" />
		<prefab rule="cityMixed1" max_count="3"/>
		<prefab rule="rubbleBuildingsWaste" max_count="2"/>
		<prefab rule="cityMixed3" max_count="3"/>
		<prefab rule="cityMixed2" max_count="3"/>
		<prefab rule="rubbleBuildingsGrey" max_count="2"/>
		<prefab rule="governmentOffices" max_count="3"/>
		<!-- Buildings from towns to fill out cities -->
		<prefab rule="upperClassHousing" max_count="6"/>
		<prefab rule="cityHousing2" max_count="6"/>
		<prefab rule="rubbleBuildingsWhite" max_count="3"/>
		<prefab rule="gunStores" max_count="2" />
		<prefab rule="rubbleBuildingsRed" max_count="4"/>
		<prefab rule="apartments" max_count="4"/>
		<prefab rule="entertainment" max_count="2"/>
		<prefab rule="rubbleBuildingsTan" max_count="2"/>
		<prefab rule="apartments" max_count="4"/>
		<prefab rule="parking" max_count="3"/>

</prefab_rule>

What is happening here is I have the hub filling up and selecting from city housing, gas stations, stores, up to a max count. Because it reads sequentially these max counts are really "Max count for this particular sequence" so lets say it fills up half the city on the first pass, it will not put more than 3 of "cityMixed1" in that first pass, but when I call it again to complete the fill it'll have 3 more to place.

This allows me to ensure cities are always full. If it is a 206x414 city, it'll get through maybe half the available POIs and still keep it varied and stop them being next to each other, if it is a 414x414 it'll go through more of the POIs and get access to an extra quota of buildings to place.

Buildings that I don't mind being repeated as much are towards the bottom. So more Citymixed, more apartments, parking towards the bottom, stores towards the top.

Probabilities inside the groups help to prevent buildings being placed in the same way each time.

The max counts also prevent the same buildings being placed together. As above, I really have a max count of "cityMixed1" of 12 per an entire city, but I have a max count of 3 per a pass, so only the biggest cities will use more of these "filler" buildings. This is in place of rubble, which I still have some mixed about, but I have a max count on the rubble to keep the city interesting.

This method ensures every city has some stores reliably without needing "min count" code.

@jrb531:

not sure - i tested the new rwgmixer not enough to report this. IMO everything looks fine. As long u don't changed the rule for "hardwarestores" it should spawn.

The problem is - that the ramdomness of the rondomgenerator is not really random !!!!

Some POI's spawn again and again. Others with the same settings I saw never spawning.

The wilderness-spawn needs to be more various !!!

IMO the worldgen should first of all make a list of possible Prefabs for this place.

And from this list choose one by good randomness !!!

THEN - and only then - he has to prepare the hub-surface for the choosen prefabsize !!!

And finally setdown the prefab.

And the boarder between prefab and landscape has to be smoothened.

(No more holes,cliffs,half hills or other Hight-strangers around POI's anymore - PLEASE !!!)

@guppycur:

As long u let it spawn in Cities,Towns or rural it will appear near the street !!!

U can define the direction the prefab has to be spawned to face the street.

Its this line in the prefabs-own xmlfile:

<property name="RotationToFaceNorth" value="3" />

The value can go from 0(=no rotation) to 3(=270 degrees rotating)

The rotation goes CLOCKWISE !!! (4 times 90degrees)

The word "RotatingToFaceNorth" is totaly confusing for non-trained people (and technically wrong IMO) !!!

It should rather be called: "RotatingToFaceTheStreet" !!!! Because this is what this command actually does !!!!

It has for us users nothing to do with NORTH !!! North is just the beginningpoint (for him) he starts to rotate !!!

If u have that in mind u have understood how it works !!!

I hope i answered ur questions

Mag

edit: @rocco: sry - then i meant another guy ;) - I meant a guy named rocky - somehow I swirched ur names - sry about that ;)

@jrb531:

not sure - i tested the new rwgmixer not enough to report this. IMO everything looks fine. As long u don't changed the rule for "hardwarestores" it should spawn.

The problem is - that the ramdomness of the rondomgenerator is not really random !!!!

Some POI's spawn again and again. Others with the same settings I saw never spawning.

The wilderness-spawn needs to be more various !!!

IMO the worldgen should first of all make a list of possible Prefabs for this place.

And from this list choose one by good randomness !!!

THEN - and only then - he has to prepare the hub-surface for the choosen prefabsize !!!

And finally setdown the prefab.

And the boarder between prefab and landscape has to be smoothened.

(No more holes,cliffs,half hills or other Hight-strangers around POI's anymore - PLEASE !!!)

@guppycur:

As long u let it spawn in Cities,Towns or rural it will appear near the street !!!

U can define the direction the prefab has to be spawned to face the street.

Its this line in the prefabs-own xmlfile:

<property name="RotationToFaceNorth" value="3" />

The value can go from 0(=no rotation) to 3(=270 degrees rotating)

The rotation goes CLOCKWISE !!! (4 times 90degrees)

The word "RotatingToFaceNorth" is totaly confusing for non-trained people (and technically wrong IMO) !!!

It should rather be called: "RotatingToFaceTheStreet" !!!! Because this is what this command actually does !!!!

It has for us users nothing to do with NORTH !!! North is just the beginningpoint (for him) he starts to rotate !!!

If u have that in mind u have understood how it works !!!

I hope i answered ur questions

Mag

edit: @rocco: sry - then i meant another guy ;) - I meant a guy named rocky - somehow I swirched ur names - sry about that ;)

Well as I said I tried about a dozen different seeds and while I kept getting multiple food stores, not a single hardware store spawned. Perhaps your new versions were spawning instead of the built in hardware stores but either way... keep up the good work and thanks to all of you for making this the one true "must have" mod.

I suppose there's no way of stopping multiple copies of the same prefab from generating close to each other? We just started a new world and on the first day we found 5 missile silos, 3 within view distance of each other. Plus 3 instances of that plains building with the different zombies fenced in by bedrock.

I suppose there's no way of stopping multiple copies of the same prefab from generating close to each other? We just started a new world and on the first day we found 5 missile silos, 3 within view distance of each other. Plus 3 instances of that plains building with the different zombies fenced in by bedrock.

There are a few methods. For wilderness POIs which is what you aree describing you would need to tweak their WildernessPOI group so that they had a lower probability and have more chance to be skipped over in favour or something else.

Example:

<prefab name="xcostum_Bunker3(by_LazMan)a12_v1" max_count="3" prob="0.03"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_AsylumCity(by_Wsiegel)a12_v1" max_count="3" prob="0.03" />
		<prefab name="xcostum_CrashedAirplane(by_LazMan)a12_v1" max_count="3" prob="0.03" />
		<prefab name="xcostum_RocketLaunchPad(by_Saeid)a12_v1"  max_count="3" prob="0.03"/>

So it'll cycle through these, have a ~1 in 3 chance of hitting one something, then move to the next. Ideally it fails on some, skips to the next and selects one, then keeps going breaking up any kind of pattern by introducing probability.

thx LT. for ur testings and works on the mixer.

As I said guys:

My version of the RWGmixer is not tweaked very much. Especially the variety !!!

I don't like the settings by maself !!!

LT. and his guys make good progress every day to figure out how to get the mixer work better.

btw:

I have a good info - and a bad !!!

good first:

I have already repaired the 7 big prefabs that I've removed since PAckv5.

And they spawn in NAVA in A12.1 now without any problems.

Then i let them spawn in RWG rural and wilderness too. THey also appear on map.

now the bad news:

Almost none of them spawned right. Because of their size - they have really problems to fit in this hilly landscape we got.

They spawn into crossing streets, Mountains, and always have a stranger on the boarder to the landscape.

And the most worst thing is that he cuts whole parts from the prefabs away sometimes !!!

(When he think the prefab is to big right now - lol)

See:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9665[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9666[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9667[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9668[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]9669[/ATTACH]

oh yeah - and with the big prefabs - we have now spawn togethers in rurals too ;( !!!!!

Fazit:

The RWGMIXER seems to be awesome - with endless abilities now !!!

But the unit that creates the world, the world-generator-engine (unvisible to us) has to be that clever too.

But right now i have to say - its not !

I really hope for a tweaked worldgenarator very soon. Because only then we get rid of the Spawning-Issues we got now !!!

Today i check the vanillas

Mag

I have made progress on towns - I'm pretty sure anyway - I have them reliably populating with lots of prefabs now. So that's everything working at the moment - cities, towns, rurals and wilderness are all very rich and vibrant.

V7MFreE.jpg

Only problems are the stores are still reluctant to spawn, sometimes 1 or 2 will so it is better than before. To make it better I think we'll need the devs to work on the random gen code a bit more.

I'll share an update soon - I'm still running everything off the prerelease of the prefab pack so my LTMod rwgmixer isn't compatible. I'll start converting it over to your new renamed POIs and get an update out soon.

looks nice so far - but are there not a spawn together again in the bottom of the pic (lightly middle-left).

The wall from Kuldiins house is missing (cutoff by the build to the right) !!!

And there are buildings double spawned. Is this ur intension - or does the worldgen break the rules ????

btw:

I've made a extra-version of the cooooool Zombie-Zoo - that is able to spawn in Cities :)

(=45by45 now / the originalZoo is 49by49)

This means soon we can feed Zombies in cities too ;)

Mag out

looks nice so far - but are there not a spawn together again in the bottom of the pic (lightly middle-left).

And there are buildings double spawned. Is this ur intension - or does the worldgen break the rules ????

btw:

I've made a extra-version of the cooooool Zombie-Zoo - that is able to spawn in Cities :)

Mag out

Hey Mag!!! So I try to do some funny animals on the Base of the given ones.....just retexturing, but should work for maybe an hyena and an funny Panda Bear :dejection:

btw:

Mag out

Yes the rwgmixer has nothing to do with prefabs that can be placed too close to each other, that is the engine relating to town code. The cities use the Cityblocks to get around this, creating predefined blocks that can always fit prefabs. The town relies on the engine to draw streets creating blocks, something it doesn't do well as we have seen.

Like I said, isn''t perfectly working yet and still requires the devs to work on it. Also I allow some things to spawn more than once, mainly brownstone businesses, some houses.

Hey Mag!!! So I try to do some funny animals on the Base of the given ones.....just retexturing, but should work for maybe an hyena and an funny Panda Bear :dejection:

Yeah - cool pacco ;)

I like the idea of an animal-zoo since long times !!

Perhaps I make an extra-POI especially for animals !?!?!

But the idea of let them spawning in the zombiezoo is also cool. :)

I repaired the circus a few minutes ago (just rechanged the new orangetube blocks and removed a few corpses)

Now i take a bath - a after then i start the big vanilla-prefab-check

checkMag will beback ;)

it just suck´s that the old enemy´s I made not longer work right:frusty:

there was so many possibilities..........

but let us take what we have, and because all of the models are low-poly ones, we could do much with textures and sizes:emmersed:

just start the Game with an test Panda Bear :distant:

panda-2.thumb.jpg.e2d807cb949283e4190540f9b386cf6b.jpg

Panda-1.thumb.jpg.b0d450e8f18637b8a526ad729c34aac2.jpg

Archived