Compo-Pack for Random Gen

Magoli

As Magoli said, the prefab "componist" tool he has made already has a lot of screenshots. I forgot about that, the guy really has done a lot of the work already. The rwgmixer file I released is fully documented with exactly how to remove individual prefabs. Magoli will also add documentation to his version included in the pack. You have everything you have asked for now so we look forward to what you guys create with this new pack.

And apology accepted. Back to topic.

@Magoli

Is there a way that the prefab componist could read a directory of prefabs and output the xml needed to load them in the rwgmixer?

For example, could it export the bit that goes into hub rules:

<prefab_rule name="cityMixed3">
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_01(grtown-strclub-burnth-h-gar)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_02(gunst_sm-kuldlargeh-bunk)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_04(firedep-bookstore_sm_01)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_05(niceh-businesstanh-garage)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_06(simpsonh-gravey-brickh-camp-gar)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_07(guildh-restaurant-firest-xxxclub)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_08(myh-crema-gupchurch-farmsh1)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_09(grocery_sm-barn01-medclinic_sm)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
		<prefab name="xcostum_Citymix_11(mpwaste08-mpwaste04grey)a12_v1" max_count="1" prob="0.3"/>
	</prefab_rule>

Then if you can select multiple prefabs that you want to group together or even all of them to bring them into the mixer you can do it all through the prefab componist and actually visually see what types of prefabs you want.

@LT.

Cool ideas for the Tool. The goal for the tool was actuall to let the User create a speciffic new prefabs.xml.

(To let everybody choose their own personalized mix of prefabs - But then A12 drops !!!!)

And u know it by urself - Everything is different now !!! So the Componist-tool is very very broken now.

The work on the Componisttool is on Ice till I have more (very much) time to completly recode the tool.

The Tool was so cool man.

It has read all the prefabs.xml's.

And all entries from Nava's and Rwg's prefabs.xml.

And showed the spawningsituation in one cool overview.

It has also different filters to sort out Biomes/Townships/Zonings or find specific POI's.

Most hard part is to figureout what commands(=lines) r really used by the game now - and which not !!!!

(Also we have to figure out all Commands in the rwgmixer - and what they do !!!)

("AllowedTownships" - "Zoning" - "MaxPerHub" - "Age" - "Condition" - "AllowedBiomes" - "DisallowedBiomes" )

IMO these Commands are dissabled or has no function anymore to the game.

I have the strong Opinion - that some of the wellused Commands are dead now !!!!

IMO only "Yoffset" - "CopyAirBlocks" and "AllowTopSoilDecoration" has still their functions !!!

Seriously i wish Information from firsthand - I need to have questions answered by an dev !!!

Because there are to much things to figure out by ourselfes - time that i dont wanna waste with endless testingsessions to figure out: its only a bug that will be fixed soon - its not my settings !!!

btw:

sry man - I didn't have the time to follow and try out all things u do in ur RWGMIXER-thread.

But u know: I appriciate ur work and iam really glad u r with us(me) !!!!

Right now iam still in repairing-phase. Didn't have the time to take care of the spawning and the mixer.

rock on

Mag

@LT.

Cool ideas for the Tool. The goal for the tool was actuall to let the User create a speciffic new prefabs.xml.

(To let everybody choose their own personalized mix of prefabs - But then A12 drops !!!!)

And u know it by urself - Everything is different now !!! So the Componist-tool is very very broken now.

The work on the Componisttool is on Ice till I have more (very much) time to completly recode the tool.

The Tool was so cool man.

It has read all the prefabs.xml's.

And all entries from Nava's and Rwg's prefabs.xml.

And showed the spawningsituation in one cool overview.

It has also different filters to sort out Biomes/Townships/Zonings or find specific POI's.

Most hard part is to figureout what commands(=lines) r really used by the game now - and which not !!!!

(Also we have to figure out all Commands in the rwgmixer - and what they do !!!)

("AllowedTownships" - "Zoning" - "MaxPerHub" - "Age" - "Condition" - "AllowedBiomes" - "DisallowedBiomes" )

IMO these Commands are dissabled or has no function anymore to the game.

I have the strong Opinion - that some of the wellused Commands are dead now !!!!

IMO only "Yoffset" - "CopyAirBlocks" and "AllowTopSoilDecoration" has still their functions !!!

Seriously i wish Information from firsthand - I need to have questions answered by an dev !!!

Because there are to much things to figure out by ourselfes - time that i dont wanna waste with endless testingsessions to figure out: its only a bug that will be fixed soon - its not my settings !!!

btw:

sry man - I didn't have the time to follow and try out all things u do in ur RWGMIXER-thread.

But u know: I appriciate ur work and iam really glad u r with us(me) !!!!

Right now iam still in repairing-phase. Didn't have the time to take care of the spawning and the mixer.

rock on

Mag

sounds like your doing a great job, although game is sorta easy to mod, its not very modders friendly, having to remod every patch is bit of joke.

wish more companies would embrace Bethsada modular style

@LT.

Mag

Best to just do what you are doing and wait then. I have a feeling the random gen and rwgmixer.xml will change even more when the dev who works on it gets back from his honeymoon. Any work now might be for nothing if it all changes again.

For the .xmls the AllowedTownships works, allowed Biomes works. A for the rest I do not know. I do not know if zoning works, it may be a navezgane thing or just not work anymore.

Best to just do what you are doing and wait then. I have a feeling the random gen and rwgmixer.xml will change even more when the dev who works on it gets back from his honeymoon. Any work now might be for nothing if it all changes again.

For the .xmls the AllowedTownships works, allowed Biomes works. A for the rest I do not know. I do not know if zoning works, it may be a navezgane thing or just not work anymore.

ty for the infos !!!

Yes - ur right - in every point.

But the xml's have nothing to do with Nava !!!

U can spawn a prefab in Nava which has no xml-file - and it will work !!!

the xml's are only for RWG !!!

Anyway - I was confused - when i saw the brandnew vanilla-prefabs-xml's.

There were lines missing - important Lines IMO !!!!

I think the prefabs.xml's are untouched from the devs since A9 !!!!

I know TFP got other priorities right now - then finetune and clearoff xml's.

TFP had absolutly no interrest till today - to do any tweak on their own Prefabs- xml's. Iam sure that has a good reason !!!

Perhaps because they know - that it will change at least one more time. Or they just didnt had the time for.

Its logical to rather not paint the wall - when u know the wall will be falldown soon !!!

Iam happy that the work on the new mixer has started. Iam sure it will get better the next Alpha(s)

Mag

I kinda agree though... I don't use this pack personally because I don't have the time to spend 2~3 days testing and tweaking and editing to remove the totally out of place looking buildings or the ones made out of really incorrect weird materials like shower blocks and the error blocks.

>.< I certainly know how, but that's way to much effort just to tweak a mod to fit with the totally unmodded game.

I certainly appreciate all his work, but it just seems like such a shame that most people can't even enjoy it do to the lack of knowledge or time required to literally put hours and hours and hours of testing and tweaking just to take out the 5% of the prefabs in this pack that stick out like a sore thumb.

I know there was talk of an installer that would make this easier, but until that happens, maybe he should consider dropping the clearly out of place buildings? It would just be less work..

Why not just blow up the 5% with a CM rocket launcher? Seems pretty easy and a nice wrecked building fits in anywhere.

What do you think this instruction here was for?

My benefit? People were helping you guys. I've spent hundreds of hours myself sharing what I have learned in modding with other modders. You are way out of line.

But what you wanted was others to do it for you. Yes we expect you to do it yourself. You are in the modding forum man. Not "Modders for hire". Everyone here created something themselves. You have an idea, great. You asked for help and we gave you the help that every other modder gets in here "Here is how you do it..."

You want screenshots to help identify the prefabs? Great, so do we! Get in there and take some. How do you think they get done? Again you want to wait for others to do it for you, we have to load 50 games to see the prefabs to take the screenshots too.

Everything takes work, when you are willing to contribute some of your own rather than hijacking someone elses mod thread and complaining that they aren't delivering your vision you might get some respect.

You come in here where Magoli has put in 100's of hours of work and say something like this:

Magoli is just working hard on his mod, he isn't monopolising anything. You want to create another pack? Go create another thread to do so. Those who share your similar vision can then work with you to achieve it. It is fine if you just want to be the ideas man, maybe someone with skills will help you achieve it, but that isn't the topic of this thread, this thread is about Magoli's work.

For everyone else who wants the same thing, have the conversation in the other thread. Talk about what you want to do, what is needed to achieve it, either divvy up the work or ask for volunteers. But do it elsewhere. Some of the prefabs you are calling out of place and unsuitable are Magoli's own creations. So take it elsewhere please.

@Magoli,

You have done a massive amazing job. Few will understand how much work goes into it. How many hundreds of hours of tweaking and repeatedly starting the game and then tweaking. How much you've had to learn because there is no documentation, you are a pioneer and all I can say is we are lucky someone like you was willing to put in the time to achieve expertise in this area.

Well done.

QFT!

I agree 100%. If you want custom, spent some time and learn to do it yourself otherwise deal with the few poi's you don't like. Suggestions are fine buy to expect someone who is already spending hundreds of hours of his own time to make custom changes because you don't like a few of the pois seems a bit much.

Find the offending pois in cm and blow them up... problem solved.

Maybe somewhat a wrong thread, but I'll try to ask anyway. What defines if building can be spawned in city hub? For example when I try spawning 0,0 city full of small book stores (store_book_sm_01) it works fine, entire city gets filled with them, but when I try big book store (store_book_lg_01) no buildings spawn at all. I checked XMLs for both prefabs and they're 100% identical so what defines it? How can I tell what can be used in city hubs, what can be used as random POI, what can be spawned along roads and such? Thank you.

Maybe somewhat a wrong thread, but I'll try to ask anyway. What defines if building can be spawned in city hub? For example when I try spawning 0,0 city full of small book stores (store_book_sm_01) it works fine, entire city gets filled with them, but when I try big book store (store_book_lg_01) no buildings spawn at all. I checked XMLs for both prefabs and they're 100% identical so what defines it? How can I tell what can be used in city hubs, what can be used as random POI, what can be spawned along roads and such? Thank you.

In the case of the large book store it is not the .xml but the prefab itself I think. I'm pretty sure t is too big for the city and is made for a rural area. The POIs need to be a certain size to spawn in the cityblocks.

very simple:

the small bookstore fits in the magical-city-limt of 45by45 !!!

the big bookstore is 38 by 47

This is why all vanilla-players never see some buildings. The rwgmixer tell them to spawn - but they wont !!!!

Because they are just to big for Cities or Towns !!!

And this is y i took care of all the vanilla-prefabs too (and OFC their .xml-files )

In the case of the big bookstore i simply decreased the size to 38by45 to let it appear in the City !!!

But all the vanilla-prefabs (their names) are protected by eac now too (since a12).

This means i had to rename it, and make a costum-prefab from it !!!

This I have made to about 20 vanilla-prefabs - because of blockchanges in any kind (mostly size-changes)

The Big bookstore is a wonderful example for the temporary situation about prefabs,blocks and spawning.

Nobody cares or fix all the little bugs that makes the Prefabs or the Spawningmix better (except one ;) ) !!!

In the current vanilla-xml's and rwgmixer.xml are so many conflicts, senseless entries, wrong rules or just simple errors -

i can't count and discribe them all. In almost every Prefab or its .xml i found something strange !!!

OK - here comes the MAG-News - lol :

- Today I ate a toast !!!

- Then I took a bunch of screenshots from some Prefabs

- Then i made 4 little prefab-bundles from the 8 Vanilla-Trailer-houses (putted 2 together - 1 left and 1 right to the little walkway)

I thinked a long time about it. And iam happy i have finally done it now :)

It looks really nice and have some technical benefits too (a better placemanagment, Collapsing-protection like the costum-prefabs have and I hope also no more spawningtogethers with this building-type )

- K - then I made a little Prefab - wanna see a preview ???? OK!!!:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9930[/ATTACH]

And this is the little wooden-Store from Guppycur (very very old creation) - I finished the repairings yesterday.

Here's a peek:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9931[/ATTACH]

wow - Again I've wrote a half novel - sry for that ;)

Mag out

Why not just blow up the 5% with a CM rocket launcher? Seems pretty easy and a nice wrecked building fits in anywhere.

Gee, that's totally a serious logical thing for me to do that won't totally destroy any attempt at actually playing the game.

[/sarcasm]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is badgering total strangers for having a different opinion a logical, fair way to act in a forum dependent on the community discussion to create anything?

Being defensive is one thing, but people in this thread are becoming downright belligerent towards anyone with any sort of suggestions. Modding is a community effort, if people don't tell you what they feel is wrong with your mod, then you can't make it better.. And when people come into a thread and see people acting this way towards people who are just nicely suggesting things, it'll make people want to avoid this mod, because it's literally poison to creative thought to be around people like that. People act borderline hostile when posting opinions because they can tell they will be responded to with hostility regardless of what their suggestion is... god help them if they try to express what they want in way that isn't exactly clear cause they aren't a super-expert.

Everyone knows Magoli works his ass off for this mod, I don't see where asking him to spend 1/10th the effort he does on the mod on making it so more people can use it implies anything to the contrary.

Modding is suppose to be about a community working together to deliver awesome free new ways for us all to play a game we all love. Please try to be considerate of EVERYONE when posting, not just the OP cause he made a cool mod, as badass as he is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Magoli: as always, every new thing you do is awesome! I can't wait to see the coming updates for this mod! ^_^

I'll stop posting this mostly off topic posts now, sorry! =P

very simple:

the small bookstore fits in the magical-city-limt of 45by45 !!!

the big bookstore is 38 by 47

This is why all vanilla-players never see some buildings. The rwgmixer tell them to spawn - but they wont !!!!

Because they are just to big for Cities or Towns !!!

Thanks a lot for explanation, Magoli, size requirement is what I had in mind myself as well, but being new to 7 days modding thought it would be more logical like defined as property in xml or other config and not hardcoded size check.

---

Another question: Would would be easiest way to preview the prefab?

Some random questions & comments:

1- Is there a easy-ish way to know what prefabs are in a loaded map at a certain x,y point? If so, we could load a map, find a prefab and by knowing it's x,y coordinates, get the prefab name and then edit the xml, or make a screenshot and name it for the mod-pack screenshot list.

2- Is it worth it to add any of the info on the threads to the 7 Days wiki? A list of prefabs in it, with screenshots, could be easily added there, as well as a simple tutorial on editing the xml, along with links to other tutorials for more information.

(I've had mixed experience with game wikis, sometimes they are great with community input keeping them updated, but other times one person ends up doing the work and when that person gives up, the wiki gets outdated quickly. Personal pages may get griefed / spammed, but probably not in this case.)

3- With Magoli's Prefab-Componist, I see screenshots for most vanilla prefabs, I see filenames (like xcostum_Cabin(by_Sudo)a12_v1) and some settings, but only get "Photo Coming Soon" for the screenshot. Is my path wrong, (I am using the default path) or are they just 'not there'?

4- If anyone is loading Magoli's Prefab-Componist, and you get a pause during the text scrolling on the dos-box as it loads, wait a bit. It;s doing some background stuff (thinking) before the GUI window loads.

5- I'm just curious as to how many of the original mod authors are still updating the prefabs for later Alpha releases. Seems that Mag has taken it upon himself to keep them up to date.

6- For those who wish modding the game was easier, like with another companies games ('Bethesda' for example), remember this game was running Unity 4 a month ago, and lots of things are still changing as the game is still being developed. The devs are not going to prioritize making modding easy while they are still trying to get the game finished. Every game update will probably break something, requiring modders to reverse engineer the update to fix stuff.

If you were to make mods for Fallout 4 right now (if you had access to an alpha of the game) I bet many mods would have problems by the time the game came out. Just sayin'.

...Modding is suppose to be about a community working together to deliver awesome free new ways for us all to play a game we all love.

Mate.. you are spot on, it is about a community working together.. which means to achieve something you need to put in the work. You will see all the request threads in this forum start with someone suggesting something or asking for help and people telling them HOW to do it, almost never doing it all for them. You guys have been given all the answers for how to go about this, but you keep pestering Magoli to do it for you. It is that sense of entitlement that I think is causing people to be short with you.

You guys have started a new thread for this and started talking about how to achieve it. I suggest you divert your energy there. You can bring it up as many times as you like but that isn't going to change the fact that what you are asking for is a subjective culling of prefabs you don't like into a pack that suits your preferences. That's work for you and the other guys to do not Magoli, not me, or anyone else who knows how. But if people decide to help you, the other thread you guys started is where it'll happen. Hell if you leave this thread to get back to topic I'll give you guys step by step instructions on how to do what you want, but in the other thread.

Thanks a lot for explanation, Magoli, size requirement is what I had in mind myself as well, but being new to 7 days modding thought it would be more logical like defined as property in xml or other config and not hardcoded size check.

---

Another question: Would would be easiest way to preview the prefab?

Heh, soooo much of the stuff we deal with modding this game comes across as illogical. Man just try working out the probability system for loot some time, or getting prefabs to spawn in towns.. ;)

Easiest way I've found is to use the rwgmixer and just load up a game. I take all the other buildings out of the city mix. Then I load up a new game and go to 0,0 (with zombies turned off) and check out the building. If it is a town, I change the 0,0 "wastelandhub" to be "LowDensity" and make the town chance 100%, then spawn town buildings in and go see them at the 0,0 town that appears. In this way you can constantly check out prefabs with little hassle.

This is also the method I use to keep tweaking towns and cities to get the right mix.

Some random questions & comments:

1- Is there a easy-ish way to know what prefabs are in a loaded map at a certain x,y point? If so, we could load a map, find a prefab and by knowing it's x,y coordinates, get the prefab name and then edit the xml, or make a screenshot and name it for the mod-pack screenshot list.

No, no way to do this I'm afraid.

2- Is it worth it to add any of the info on the threads to the 7 Days wiki? A list of prefabs in it, with screenshots, could be easily added there, as well as a simple tutorial on editing the xml, along with links to other tutorials for more information.

For vanilla prefabs it might be ok, but I think the best bet would be a wiki that also includes all the modded stuff. Very little content in the vanilla game in my opinion to go to that trouble.

(I've had mixed experience with game wikis, sometimes they are great with community input keeping them updated, but other times one person ends up doing the work and when that person gives up, the wiki gets outdated quickly. Personal pages may get griefed / spammed, but probably not in this case.)

3- With Magoli's Prefab-Componist, I see screenshots for most vanilla prefabs, I see filenames (like xcostum_Cabin(by_Sudo)a12_v1) and some settings, but only get "Photo Coming Soon" for the screenshot. Is my path wrong, (I am using the default path) or are they just 'not there'?

It could be that Magoli hasn't taken a screenshot yet, that's where people can help out and start taken screenshots of these buildings using the method I described above to get them to spawn.

4- If anyone is loading Magoli's Prefab-Componist, and you get a pause during the text scrolling on the dos-box as it loads, wait a bit. It;s doing some background stuff (thinking) before the GUI window loads.

5- I'm just curious as to how many of the original mod authors are still updating the prefabs for later Alpha releases. Seems that Mag has taken it upon himself to keep them up to date.

Only a few are still around or bothering to update. A lot of modders have moved on too. Laz Man is still around doing awesome work but the majority of the work is being done by Magoli.

6- For those who wish modding the game was easier, like with another companies games ('Bethesda' for example), remember this game was running Unity 4 a month ago, and lots of things are still changing as the game is still being developed. The devs are not going to prioritize making modding easy while they are still trying to get the game finished. Every game update will probably break something, requiring modders to reverse engineer the update to fix stuff.

Every game update requires us to look through what has changed, but it isn't really a big deal. Takes maybe an hour if it is a big update, 25 minutes if it is a small one. I think most modders understand where the game is at, the only thing they ask for is better communication from the devs.

If you were to make mods for Fallout 4 right now (if you had access to an alpha of the game) I bet many mods would have problems by the time the game came out. Just sayin'.

Responded in line to some of your Q's man.

Gee, that's totally a serious logical thing for me to do that won't totally destroy any attempt at actually playing the game.

[/sarcasm]

Where is badgering total strangers for having a different opinion a logical, fair way to act in a forum dependent on the community discussion to create anything?

Being defensive is one thing, but people in this thread are becoming downright belligerent towards anyone with any sort of suggestions. Modding is a community effort, if people don't tell you what they feel is wrong with your mod, then you can't make it better.. And when people come into a thread and see people acting this way towards people who are just nicely suggesting things, it'll make people want to avoid this mod, because it's literally poison to creative thought to be around people like that. People act borderline hostile when posting opinions because they can tell they will be responded to with hostility regardless of what their suggestion is... god help them if they try to express what they want in way that isn't exactly clear cause they aren't a super-expert.

Everyone knows Magoli works his ass off for this mod, I don't see where asking him to spend 1/10th the effort he does on the mod on making it so more people can use it implies anything to the contrary.

Modding is suppose to be about a community working together to deliver awesome free new ways for us all to play a game we all love. Please try to be considerate of EVERYONE when posting, not just the OP cause he made a cool mod, as badass as he is.

Magoli: as always, every new thing you do is awesome! I can't wait to see the coming updates for this mod! ^_^

I'll stop posting this mostly off topic posts now, sorry! =P

If everyone felt the same 5% should be removed then so be it but that is not the case. Everyone has differing opinions as to what should or should not be included so it's easier to just let each and every one of us pick which we would like to exclude but NOOOOOOOO

Some want others to do the work for them. You are right that it IS a community effort so put in some effort. It was posted how to do this and it's VERY easy and requires minimal effort but if you do not want to remove a few lines from a file I suggested you just enter CM mode, give yourself a Rocket Launcher and blast down that horrid POI that is so offensive that it makes the POI unusable.

Takes a few seconds, renders the POI into rubble and allows you to use the excellent (and best IMHO) mod that has been worked on for hundreds of hours.

Asking others to mod code for a custom POI for you is NOT participating in a community project.

If you have been following this project that so many have put tons of work into, you already know that it is not perfect and will never be until either the game is finished and a few bugs affecting POI placement are fixed by the Pimps. The fact it works so well even with a few glitches is a testament to the outstanding work and dedication of those working on this.

To come here and say that you cannot use the mod until 5% of the POI's are fixed/removed NOT because they are bugged but because you feel that they do not fit your idea of the game and are so offensive that the other 95% are not good enough is a bit offensive.

Everyone has a few POI's that they do not care for or that spawn in the wrong place. This is mostly the fault of Alpha code but even a few short weeks ago this mod's POI's were spawning with stairs in the wrong direction, collapsing, spawning inside other POI's and any number of glitches. Mag has spent so much time, with help, adjusting everything, tweaking, testing and communicating with his limited English that even if I had a small issue I would be embarrassed to nitpick or ask for a change not because it was broken but because I felt it did not fit my idea of the game.

So use the mod or don't. I'm sure it will continue to get better and I really hope the pimps are following this because it would be crazy stupid to not use all this hard work and at least incorporate some of this work into the game and just give the creators a game credit. I'm sure they would be honored.

I think we all would love a simple (and official) configuration screen that would allow us to toggle off every POI on or off. Perhaps someday we will have thousands of "POI Packs" to pick from but that day is not today :)

In the meantime perhaps we can create a separate POI thread for this excellent mod and have potential new POI's listed with a picture and allow some community input before Mag adds it? Let the creator (or someone he so designates) post the new POI and the ones that get the most votes Mag could add when he has the time in the next revision. The number or POI's will continue to grow and setting up a system to decide what gets added and to what areas might go a long way to keep this manageable and help those working and testing this mod keep it under control and not burn them out.

Suggestions are fine buy to expect someone who is already spending hundreds of hours of his own time to make custom changes because you don't like a few of the pois seems a bit much.

I'm not sure how you differentiate suggestions and feedback from "expectations", but I think your radar needs calibration.

Yeah, this. The most forgiving I can be LT is to imagine he's had to deal with true trolls and ingrates in large quantities and has developed a sort of troll ptsd. His hyper-defensiveness is now just reflex.

Mate.. you are spot on, it is about a community working together.. which means to achieve something you need to put in the work... You guys have been given all the answers for how to go about this, but you keep pestering Magoli to do it for you. It is that sense of entitlement that I think is causing people to be short with you.

You seem to have an excellent understanding of how to foster a community of people working together. I applaud you.

You guys have started a new thread for this and started talking about how to achieve it. I suggest you divert your energy there. You can bring it up as many times as you like but that isn't going to change the fact that what you are asking for is a subjective culling of prefabs you don't like into a pack that suits your preferences.

What you've missed is that there is LARGE crossover in what we and Magoli want to achieve. We came here with feedback and an invitation to work together, and you poisoned the discourse at record speed.

Hell if you leave this thread to get back to topic I'll give you guys step by step instructions on how to do what you want, but in the other thread.

No thanks.

I'm very sorry Magoli that this has hijacked your thread. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing what the future brings.

only person in this thread who seems demanded or who seems to be attacking everyone is this LT guy, frankly Mag says on page 1 to leave your opinion and I did just that on page 25, and now I have been watching LT rip on anyone with any other opinion that doesn't seem to fall in line with his thinking.

LT maybe you should take a break for a few days and chill, you're getting on peoples nerves.

You keep referring to a "community working together" but the only people you want to work are other people. Same arguments, same accusations that we are not being nice by not using our time to mod the way you want.

Let's end this right now.

Who are the people capable of doing this mod work for you? Magoli, me, Laz Man, perhaps one or two others here. No one has stepped up. So is that not your answer? Or is your aim to keep making us out to be bad guys until we help you?

only person in this thread who seems demanded or who seems to be attacking everyone is this LT guy, frankly Mag says on page 1 to leave your opinion and I did just that on page 25, and now I have been watching LT rip on anyone with any other opinion that doesn't seem to fall in line with his thinking.

LT maybe you should take a break for a few days and chill, you're getting on peoples nerves.

Easy to attack me as I've been the most vocal about this, fine. As a modder I understand what they are asking for. At the end of the day this will keep circling forever if someone doesn't just let the thread get back on track so I'll be the one to stop responding from here on.

To me it's pretty simple...

Since I have done none of the work, I either elect to enjoy what is being provided to me free of charge or I take a pass.

A little red hen finds a grain of wheat and asks for help from the other farmyard animals to plant it, but none of them volunteer.

At each later stage (harvest, threshing, milling the wheat into flour, and baking the flour into bread), the hen again asks for help from the other animals, but again she gets no assistance.

Finally, the hen has completed her task and asks who will help her eat the bread. This time, all the previous non-participants eagerly volunteer. She declines their help stating that no one aided her in the preparation work. Thus, the hen eats it with her chicks leaving none for anyone else.

The moral of this story is that those who say no to contribution to a product do not deserve to enjoy the product: "if any would not work, neither should he eat."

@YaSo:

to your question-pack:

LT. answered everything well. To point4: I didn't know that the tool is working with Alpha12 !?!?!??!

Really my opinion was that it don't even start. But actual it is BROKEN !!!!

Anyway - Pls don't trust the infos the Componisttool shows. I know they are wrong - because the prefabs.xml is missing now.

And this was a elemental part to show the real spawningsituation.

I just wanted u guys to use the Screenshots in the Pics-folder.

OK - when the tool is working - and there is the "No Image"-picture - this means i don't have took a screenshot of it yet !!!

(this mostly belongs to 1block-prefabs or all the new ones after Compopackv5 !!!)

@ all others:

Everyone has his own opinion - dreams - wishes - plans - and a way he brings it to the world !!!

U have yours - U surly want the people to respect yours - Then u FIRST have to respect every others too.

Just read and accept their opinion !!!

No need to attack ppl !!! IMO there is not even a constructive need for a report/documentation what others wrote !!!

Especially when I personally don't have nothing senseful or POSITVE to this theme to say !!!

"Life and let Life" - "All u need is love" - "green,green,green - is the yellow submarine" - lol

back to the point man:

yesterday i repaired a very old little Bunker - It was called SC-Bunker - and it is really a little,tiny concrete-fort.

SC - stands for Starcraft. Starcraft inspired Bunker was the Threadtopic ! Here is the Screenshot:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9936[/ATTACH]

Now i gotta go to work

Mag

@Magoli, ok I have finally converted over to your latest pack so it is now compatible with my modded rwgmixer.xml.

I'll be added it into my latest mod, but wanted to make it available to you early, you can get it from here.

A few notes though. Cities it does extremely well. They have stores, a variety of prefabs and fill up a big city nicely.

orL5DmF.jpg

Wilderness populates properly and so does Rural in the testing I have done.

The problem child continues to be towns. They rarely spawn stores properly, and do not fill up with POIs.

I have done a huge amount of testing today and learned some things about the .xmls that I'll share.

In the .xml file that goes with each prefabs, I have tested and discovered which options work and do not work. Zoning does nothing, it is left over from old code and it used to relate to zoning the city.

<property name="Zoning" value="CityBlock" /> is what the lot type line in rwgmixer.xml is referring to: <prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>

This used to allow you to lay down roads and zone an area for Residential, Commercial, CityBlock etc. Now it does nothing.

DisallowedBiomes does nothing. The only thing that matters is "AllowedTownships". Townships refer specifically to this part of the rwgmixer.xml:

<hub_rule name="townSmall">
		[color="#FFD700"]<hub_type value="town"/>[/color]
		<width value="246, 246" />
		<height value="246, 246" />
		<path_material value="asphalt" />
		<path_radius value="5" />

<prefab_rule name="townSmall" prob="1"/>
	</hub_rule>

If you make it hub type = city, it'll allow the Prefab Rule to generate city blocks using this line: <prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>

If you make it "town", it'll draw roads using the town method and will not allow the cityBlocks method. Rural works, the code places the POIs along a main road. Suburb does not work, and Commerical does not work. Wilderness obviously works.

So the Hub type is what tells a location how to behave, whether to be a town, city, rural etc.

I was going to use this to mod the city blocks and create town blocks, but I ran into issues in that there are certain parts that are absolutely hard coded and not driven by the rwgmixer.xml. For example, the game will only generate proper blocks if the prefab rule is called "cityBlocks", e.g this works - <prefab rule="cityBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/>, this does not - <prefab rule="townBlocks" lot_type="CityBlock"/> So the game is reading the rwgmixer.xml file but it is also hard coded to look for specific things.

This means I haven't found a way to copy the city block templates and remake them as small town avenues with trees, grass etc. I got started but was unable to make them specific to towns, I did get some interesting city views though:

EqcIsxu.jpg

I'll keep working on towns, I still feel there is a way to trick the city hub rule code into making a town, but what this testing tells me is the problem with towns is hard coded into the Hub type. So Hub type for town has a flaw in its code, whereas Hub type for city works correctly. This means we'll need to report this info to the devs to fix. Not much we can mod with the town hubs until it is fixed.

In testing your latest pack I saw some of the POIs you had grouped together, these look REALLY good so nice work there.

I may have found one mistake, or maybe you like it this way:

Is there meant to be a barn here in the city?

lc9swId.jpg

If I suddenly make a breakthrough on towns I'll shoot you through the fix, for now they'll be a bit dodgey, with lots of spare space:

Ac5sDLD.jpg

Best I can do for now.. :)

thx LT. for this good infos.

I had a feeling of many things are so - as u wrote. But i was not sure about all.

Good to know that Zoning and DisaalowedBiomes don't have a function anymore. But bad for the Spawningmix !!! But no matter ;)

We are used to work with handycaps :) !!!

And yes - this is the only barn - that will appear in the city !! It is part of an Citymix-prefab.

As i surly know i have gathered together all the little buildings to 11 city-prefabs. Each of them has the perfect citysize - 45X45 !!!!

The 11 citymix-prefabs contains 2-5 prefabs that are to small to look good in the cities.

Because u know in the City the spawner will set down a prefab in the middle of the hub !!!!

And in Towns he wants to set the buildings on the border to the street !!!

Mag

Question #1:

Does anyone have an idea how factory (factory_lg_01 and factory_lg_02) can be used? It doesn't fit into city, its too big for town, when used in rural there are VERY often cases of bad spawns like this http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/446205295315563394/0F636A7E69A3BE06575C8887690F6AAEFFD98984/ or http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/446205295317934888/556A2F5FAE1407F119522BF61E8333D4B36ACB1E/

Question #2:

Is there any way to affect rwg height generation to say have it never generate hills above 50 or something? Any options to affect it at all? I wanted to make water world but the problem is that with current range of heights it is either all water or all land, if I could limit max height somehow it wouldn't be as bad.

Question #3:

Anyone knows where stuff that spawns on roads is defined? Like blood splatters, trash and newspapers? I can't seem to find it, I hope its not hardcoded. Thanks.

---

Oh and btw best way to check prefabs turns out to be spawning rural location with whatever you want in position="0,0" as rural seem to accept any prefab unlike city or town or wilderness POI

@Sa-Matra:

to1:

the vanilla factories and also the junkyards has Issues. Like u said !!!

I have made costum-versions from it. Mine are smaller and has a extra-basement too.

So the collapsing-Issue is fixed.

The Vanilla-factories i dont use in the pack no more !!!!

to 2:

I dont know

to 3:

The bloodsmears , papers and other deco on the blocks are also a special-kind of block.

Its called decals. Lazman knows best how to use them

IMO u can only set them with the editor. but now sure

Mag

• Roland locked this topic

Archived