When was the last time you were stunned?

meganoth

It's the rarest of the debuffs for sure. But it's also the least consequential, just pop a pain pill for the associated concussion, so it might feel a lot less common than it actually is.

I very rarely get it, but I aim to not get hit.. but it does exist at least :)

Dunno how the debuffs are chosen, might be plenty of edge cases if they're interdependent and/or limited by HP values or whatnot.

Occasionally when I wake up in the morning and look at my hair in the mirror I'm stunned.  I toss and turn a lot when I sleep so my hair looks like I took my head off, put into a pillow case, and ran it in the dryer for 15 minutes before putting it back on.  Add a spray of water or 3 sometimes because it can get pretty hot here at night.

So it still exists, but at a rate that makes the perk pain tolerance almost useless.

A stun used to be life threatening as the zombie or zombies had time for a few free hits on you. It occured maybe a bit too often at low levels and was often on top of a dire situation since being surrounded by a few zombies was already dangerous in itself but also increased the likelyhood of a stun. Nowadays you need crowdsourcing to even find evidence of it happening

Maybe stun probability should be increased again but changed so it isn't more likely when you are hit multiple times like other afflictions

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

So it still exists, but at a rate that makes the perk pain tolerance almost useless.

Yup, I haven't specced PT once for a couple patches. When I used to, I was taking it almost exclusively for the stun resist, but now it doesn't feel worthy even as a Fort build.

Stun.. hmm. I wouldn't mind making it into more of a combat mechanic tbh; separate the headache to its own specific debuff, give a short stun on every 3rd hit. Couple seconds of immunity after the stun ends.

7 hours ago, meganoth said:

A stun used to be life threatening as the zombie or zombies had time for a few free hits on you. It occured maybe a bit too often at low levels and was often on top of a dire situation since being surrounded by a few zombies was already dangerous in itself but also increased the likelyhood of a stun. Nowadays you need crowdsourcing to even find evidence of it happening

Maybe stun probability should be increased again but changed so it isn't more likely when you are hit multiple times like other afflictions

It´s still good to have pain tolerance if you play modded. Like compopack has some POI´s with crazy amounts of Zombies where the damage reduction comes in handy. In DF it´s also still good to have simply for the damage reduction. 

But yeah, in vanilla it´s a waste of points if stuns are rare. I wouldn´t mind them to be more common.

10 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s still good to have pain tolerance if you play modded. Like compopack has some POI´s with crazy amounts of Zombies where the damage reduction comes in handy. In DF it´s also still good to have simply for the damage reduction. 

But yeah, in vanilla it´s a waste of points if stuns are rare. I wouldn´t mind them to be more common.

This is not about you but : i hate mod argument. Why? because it is not "offical" solution of problem it's like some doc would say - it's not neccesary to work on biological legs because you can use wooden leg

Or disney guy would write " yeah new star wars story is bad so write fan ficks to solve this problem :) "

It's been some time since I've worked with the xml, but does this mean that if painkillers are active, you cannot get stunned at all?
under buff name="buffInjuryStunned01", name="buffInjuryStunned02", and name="buffInjuryStunned03"

<requirements compare_type="or">
  <requirement name="!HasBuff" buff="buffDrugPainkillers"/>
</requirements>

Just wondering if maybe this is what is reducing it so much.

I got concussed twice in a recent game.  Was super annoying because it was early in the game and I was have terrible luck finding painkillers.  Honestly, the concussion is the most annoying debuff because it can prevent you from spending points you want to spend.

That said, pain tolerance is something I don't tend to take until pretty late in the game.

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

It's been some time since I've worked with the xml, but does this mean that if painkillers are active, you cannot get stunned at all?
under buff name="buffInjuryStunned01", name="buffInjuryStunned02", and name="buffInjuryStunned03"

<requirements compare_type="or">
  <requirement name="!HasBuff" buff="buffDrugPainkillers"/>
</requirements>

Just wondering if maybe this is what is reducing it so much.

It says so in the descrition: "You took painkillers. Stuns will affect you less now."

So if you are using a lot of painkillers then yes, you should see even less stuns. But I use painkillers very seldom and still see no stuns happening

41 minutes ago, meganoth said:

It says so in the descrition: "You took painkillers. Stuns will affect you less now."

So if you are using a lot of painkillers then yes, you should see even less stuns. But I use painkillers very seldom and still see no stuns happening

Yes, but I am curious if that snippet actually means you can't get stunned at all. I can't seem to find anything that reduces the probability, just this "or" statement.
If not painkillers buff,  then apply this stunned buff - is how I am reading it.

7 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

If not painkillers buff,  then apply this stunned buff - is how I am reading it.

I'd think you're right; the cure for infection was also made into a "preventative" by keeping the cure counter ticking down even while not infected.

And since the painkillers have a cooldown, I assume part of the idea is to avoid inflicting a concussion while you would be unable to fix it.

9 minutes ago, theFlu said:

I'd think you're right; the cure for infection was also made into a "preventative" by keeping the cure counter ticking down even while not infected.

And since the painkillers have a cooldown, I assume part of the idea is to avoid inflicting a concussion while you would be unable to fix it.

Right, and I suppose that makes sense since the concussion comes from the stuns increasing some concussion counter variable .. and I don't know about everyone else, but I do tend to use a lot of painkillers, especially early game. I have no idea when this was added in there though and it might not even be the real reason it is seemingly broken.

@Matt115 This isn´t a "modding is the solution" situation here though. It´s a "This still is valid when playing modded even when it´s outdated and/or useless in vanilla" situation. Mods should never be the solution. I said that a lot of times.

Even though there is situations where a mod is the solution. Like cables. TFP doesn´t give a flying F about the looks of a base, so if the cables do annoy you, you gotta either build a lot bigger and more complicated to hide them all or use a mod. The mod is the solution here.

11 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Matt115 This isn´t a "modding is the solution" situation here though. It´s a "This still is valid when playing modded even when it´s outdated and/or useless in vanilla" situation. Mods should never be the solution. I said that a lot of times.

Even though there is situations where a mod is the solution. Like cables. TFP doesn´t give a flying F about the looks of a base, so if the cables do annoy you, you gotta either build a lot bigger and more complicated to hide them all or use a mod. The mod is the solution here.

Well... this is logical? I mean - who cares how something looks if this works - in theory it doesn't matter how your base looks like but it's neccesary how optimal bettween farming crafting , mining and defense. But from gameplay point of view - cables looks annoing but it coudn't be be better do because you can find what is connected and which devise need to be connected - let's say that  cables are more realistic redstone from minecraft so they have to looks like this

It´s more for the living base. If you only care about killing zombies efficiently and have no problem living in a grey cube filled with only storage and workstations, then it´s not a problem at all. We do like to have a nice looking homebase in our games though and in MP the optimisation doesn´t matter as much as in SP. No need for that at the hordebase though. Cables can go wild there.

1 minute ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s more for the living base. If you only care about killing zombies efficiently and have no problem living in a grey cube filled with only storage and workstations, then it´s not a problem at all. We do like to have a nice looking homebase in our games though and in MP the optimisation doesn´t matter as much as in SP. No need for that at the hordebase though. Cables can go wild there.

Well this is post apo not  viking Valheim or  minecraft - so for me it's logical that thing will be looking ugly - it's like WW2 bunker but instead protect against enemy soliders protect you against zombies. building in the forest looks ugly too but in theory main character building them only to survive

Well one last off topic post before we get into trouble here: On the long run, just efficient building will have a negative effect on your mental stability. So it can be crucial for surviving also. WW2 bunkers weren´t meant to be your homes where you prepare for your fight. They were hideouts. Not build to craft weapons against your enemies.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Well... this is logical? I mean - who cares how something looks if this works - in theory it doesn't matter how your base looks like but it's neccesary how optimal bettween farming crafting , mining and defense. But from gameplay point of view - cables looks annoing but it coudn't be be better do because you can find what is connected and which devise need to be connected - let's say that  cables are more realistic redstone from minecraft so they have to looks like this

I care. I prefer to die in a nice looking base that survive with all the shame in a not symetrical monstrosity.

Archived