Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 12/8/2022 at 2:31 AM, RipClaw said:

I would like to have a robot that says "Danger Will Robinson Danger"

A couple of decades ago I coded the UIs for a system that used image processing to detect faults (missing / broken brakeshoes, springs, bolts etc) on rail ore cars.

When a user looked at a 'broken' ore car the client UI played the original Lost in Space robot saying 'danger!, danger!' on a loop (luckily we did not get sued for copyright infringement).

On 12/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, Roland said:

That is a big part of the art update: creating new original assets for the game. This is furniture, decorations, vehicles, building structures, vehicles, etc. Adding all of this is what is meant by A21 being a big art update.

That being said, we won’t necessarily be able to craft or purchase all of these things.  A lot is only available in the creative menu. 

Is this a decision made by TFP to only allow creative access to many of these art assets? I have to say, 7 Days to Die could be the best building game in vanilla, if it allowed you to craft and/or buy all these things. There's an AMAZING amount of great assets out there that are used in POI's and it's a huge shame you need to go creative to utilize them.

Of course yes, you can mod that (which I've done in my Expanded Deco modlet) but I really think it's something which would HUGELY improve the builder's enjoyment if people could decorate with these awesome assets. I mean, they're there. They've been implemented, and while there's some work to balance crafting/scrapping/buying them, that's honestly worth it.

2 hours ago, Vedui said:

Is this a decision made by TFP to only allow creative access to many of these art assets?

As I understand it, it is for performance reasons to prevent too many high polygon objects from bogging down the game. But maybe at some point they’ll do a recipe pass and add most of them in. 

I see the new danger meter. Speaking about danger, I hope long term all poi's have a random danger level and zombie count. So going into the same poi alway feels fresh. Maybe one time it's full of the undead and another it's empty. It will Always keep us kn our toes. 

I think they should also make it so loot rooms in all poi's are only active with loot during a mission. It will make the game more challenging. No mission = empty loot room. Loot room locations should also be random..

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

I see the new danger meter. Speaking about danger, I hope long term all poi's have a random danger level and zombie count. So going into the same poi alway feels fresh. Maybe one time it's full of the undead and another it's empty. It will Always keep us kn our toes. 

I think they should also make it so loot rooms in all poi's are only active with loot during a mission. It will make the game more challenging. No mission = empty loot room. Loot room locations should also be random..

Thanks

The POIs are pretty much locked in to what danger level they are by their level design so random danger leveling probably won't happen. Some POIs can be increased or decreased a tier by increasing or decreasing spawns but it won't be random.

There are some new loot containers that only appear during a particular type of quest and will never show up if someone clears a POI without the quest activated so this wish is at least partially fulfilled.

Initial response to a danger meter that shows danger level of biomes and POIs...

As an experienced player, I would prefer not to have it, BUT I do understand that this would be a helpful mechanic for new players who aren't familiar with how the game works.  So I can see the reasoning.  It prevents new player frustration/rage quitting.

That said, I hope the C in the clue is a Customizable UI (yes, I know XML hacks will also do it, but a quick and easy way would be preferable).

Knowing the danger level as a player makes the game less scary.  If the meter says extreme danger, I won't be surprised when a group of radiated charge at me.  I will be expecting it and will be mentally prepared.  And so the pucker factor is dramatically lessened.

As the game gets more and more solidified, adding toggles to easily turn UI on and off would be a welcome addition.  The default settings would be TFP's "The way it's meant to be played"

An alternative suggestion would be to tie UI elements to game difficulty setting.  As an example:

Scavenger - All UI elements

Adventurer - No XP pop-up

Nomad - ...and no danejar meaterr 

Warrior - ...and no time & day

Survivalist - ...and no compass (though quest markers will still show since it would be almost impossible to find a quest without it)

Insane - ...and no health/stamina/food/water bar!

On 3/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, Roland said:

• Player HUD changes
    • Danger Meter added to show danger level of biomes and POIs
    • C

I’m curious to know the reasoning for an addition like this. Maybe for new players it can be useful but it seems a bit unnecessary.

Looking forward to C though, I love cookies.