The biggest source of un-fun: inventory management.

ungkor

I find that the biggest sense of "down time", is inventory management.   You do a mission, gather a bunch of stuff, return to base, and then need to sort and store all your loot.   Any "down time" in my opinion, takes away from fun. 

I usually end up with something like a medical chest, food/water chest, parts chests, weapons/ammo chest, etc. 

I just got done playing a bit of sky factory 3 (minecraft modded).   One of the great abilities in that game, is to transfer items between storage containers, and use item filters to decide which items end up in specific storage containers.  

I would really like the ability to just dump everything you've looted on a mission into a single chest, and have that "flow" into other chests based on user-defined filters.     I dump some bandages, some food, some weapons, into a single chest.   That single chest exports those items to three other chests, like "medical", "food", and "weapons".

10 minutes ago, ungkor said:

I find that the biggest sense of "down time", is inventory management.   You do a mission, gather a bunch of stuff, return to base, and then need to sort and store all your loot.   Any "down time" in my opinion, takes away from fun. 

I usually end up with something like a medical chest, food/water chest, parts chests, weapons/ammo chest, etc. 

I just got done playing a bit of sky factory 3 (minecraft modded).   One of the great abilities in that game, is to transfer items between storage containers, and use item filters to decide which items end up in specific storage containers.  

I would really like the ability to just dump everything you've looted on a mission into a single chest, and have that "flow" into other chests based on user-defined filters.     I dump some bandages, some food, some weapons, into a single chest.   That single chest exports those items to three other chests, like "medical", "food", and "weapons".

Since your playing SF3, I'd recommend taking a look at the Refined Storage mod, and it's successor: Applied Energistics 2.

They have a mod for terraria which does the same thing as AE2, however I am not mathematically intelligent enough to cover every byte of storage for a similar mod.

Just incase you didn't spot it - I didn't for the longest time - there's three icons in the middle along the top bar of your backpack inventory when you're interacting with a storage unit.

The first - like an arrow alongside a list - will auto-sort your backpack ... and I'd never touch that. The middle one with the single arrow going into the box, double click it and it will put anything into the storage crate your are accessing that is already in the storage crate, creating new stacks as necessary. You can go from crate to crate and quickly dump the general stuff that is already in that box from your backpack, letting you simply sort the final dregs.

Just remember to take back anything you need - like shotgun shells, arrows or lockpicks, first aid bandages, food or drink... Wouldn't be the first or the last time I've left the base having dumped something vital.

I haven't modded the game but from what I've read Khaine has a modlet that lets you lock inventory slots so they don't get moved. I've considered grabbing that to save me a little annoyance when it comes to food, drinks, ammo, medkits on my drone, and fuel on my motorcycle.

I tend to agree initially however its a skill like many others in the game.  I found once I had a good storage solution; and even with the vanilla buttons its much easier but still a pain in @#$ sometimes.  Having a dump box helps as well.

Having the variable inventory lock mod in vanilla would make it almost trivial.

2 hours ago, pahbi said:

I hate to ask before trying, but how does the mod know which container to put stuff in?

It will look for containers with the items you're trying to store. So if you have one box with 9mm ammo and it's in range, it will move the 9mm from your inventory, if not locked, to that box. It works similar to the current store functions where a single click will fill to stack and a double click will create new stacks, it just does it without having to go and open each inventory and clicking those buttons.

4 hours ago, John Black said:

It will look for containers with the items you're trying to store. So if you have one box with 9mm ammo and it's in range, it will move the 9mm from your inventory, if not locked, to that box. It works similar to the current store functions where a single click will fill to stack and a double click will create new stacks, it just does it without having to go and open each inventory and clicking those buttons.

Looks like it works just like Terraria. For some reason I had it in my head this couldn't be done in 7Days, but is one of my most wanted additions, going to go grab the mod right now! 😍

11 hours ago, John Black said:

That will make life a ton easier, all the clicking was starting to get on my nerves and I was having Path of Exile flashbacks.

I don't find the inventory management to be that bad.  I have a few storage crates that I have stuff stored in.  After a loot run I'll open a crate, hit the button that stores all the same stuff from my inventory to that one, and continue for each crate.  Then I'll throw all the sell stuff in my sell box and call it good.  Only takes 30sec or so.  

Ik it's off topic but topics like these always remind me of the one and only qol change related to inventory management I ever really wanted: A filter for what you automatically pick up, mostly prevent harvesting things you don't want to harvest. Accidentally hitting the grass and having that pesky fiber just drop and not clog up a valuable slot. Wrenching a car and leaving batteries of which you already have 100s and never use. That sorta stuff. 

One change I would like to see is a funnel or something put on the forge so I can load it up with material and it will slowly pour into the forge as the stuff currently in it melts.  

18 hours ago, Kam R. said:

Ik it's off topic but topics like these always remind me of the one and only qol change related to inventory management I ever really wanted: A filter for what you automatically pick up, mostly prevent harvesting things you don't want to harvest. Accidentally hitting the grass and having that pesky fiber just drop and not clog up a valuable slot. Wrenching a car and leaving batteries of which you already have 100s and never use. That sorta stuff. 

I think a good change for the plants would be to make it so if you broke a plant with anything besides your fists it wouldn't drop anything.  That way all that stupid plant fiber and cotton would never be in my inventory unless I really wanted it to, I'm not sure the last time I actually wanted to harvest cotton so it would never tarnish my inventory lol.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, OneManStanding said:

Just incase you didn't spot it - I didn't for the longest time - there's three icons in the middle along the top bar of your backpack inventory when you're interacting with a storage unit.

The first - like an arrow alongside a list - will auto-sort your backpack ... and I'd never touch that. The middle one with the single arrow going into the box, double click it and it will put anything into the storage crate your are accessing that is already in the storage crate, creating new stacks as necessary. You can go from crate to crate and quickly dump the general stuff that is already in that box from your backpack, letting you simply sort the final dregs.

Just remember to take back anything you need - like shotgun shells, arrows or lockpicks, first aid bandages, food or drink... Wouldn't be the first or the last time I've left the base having dumped something vital.

IMHO, those quick move buttons are completely useless without slot locking(for which there is a mod that frankly I can't live without).   I don't want to accidentlye move my ammo(which is always int he first row) and then walk out without some ammo on me!   The slot lock mod fixes this.   Technically, it simply RENABLES functionality The Fun Pimps turned off for some reason.   I have a guess why it's not enabled by default, but the two quick move buttons are useless to me without the lock button.

With that said, I lock my slots, and go box to box and do transfer like twice, and move to next box.   It takes perhaps 1 min and the only thing I have to "look at" are odd off things like schematics(when playing MP) or the other odd thing that does not have a matching item in that type of box already, which tends to happen much more often in the early game vs mid/late game.

No such thing as zero downtime with inventory in this game.  You still need to go crate to crate and a lot of items don't stack, or they stack when you don't want them to (e.g. the ammo you keep with you at all times).  It's in the game's design.

That said, the mods mentioned in this topic would help for sure.  I've considered the mod to make every item stack up to 30k as well to streamline things but that one feels like it ventures out of QoL territory and dips its toes into cheatery.

As much of a pain in the butt inventory can be, I find it adds a survival element to the game that is vital. Time management is so important in 7D2D. An auto inventory sorter circumvents part of that issue/challenge.

If you want to auto sort your inventory, I imagine you also don't want any overloaded debuffs as well.

Both of those elements require me to make choices, and that adds to the immersion for me. Like what was previously stated, we already have several auto sort functions. Anything more just removes inventory as a game play mechanic, and to me that is a vital aspect of any survival game.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:20 PM, ElDudorino said:

Khaine has a modlet that lets you lock inventory slots

Here:  Lockable Inventory Slots. Just remember to set the amount of locked slots each time you start the game as there's no way to save that data in the savefile currently. I keep forgetting and my carefully curated top row gets mixed up with loot :)

Many start out with a bunch of stacked chests which at that point allows inventories to be sorted out in mere seconds. Some decide to move on and build a nice base with different crafting areas and a more granular inventory. That entire process of moving from a purely functional base to a 'nice' base is also part of the progression for those that decide to do so.

The frustration sets in as doing inventory management in bigger organized and spread out inventories comprises boring repeated actions that waste real life hours over the course of a game. And in a game where unpowered workbenches can craft 1000s of items unattended, I wouldn't find some ooc QoL inventory progression alien at all. I don't expect the solution to make sense, conveyor belts etc, I just want to save real life time so I can get back to building, looting and shooting zombies in the head.

Haha, all this inventory talk has made me think back of RedPower.

On 2/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, OneManStanding said:

You sir, are a god among mortals. Thank you for this.

2 hours ago, Vaxkiller said:

You sir, are a god among mortals. Thank you for this.

It's helpful to an extent. I have a bad habit of hoarding every damn thing I find.  I need to start sellingnor scrapping stuff. I play either solo or with my daughter. Do I really need 5 pipe batons of each level when neither of us use them? 10 pipe rifles? Ugh.. 

2 hours ago, Musicianized said:

It's helpful to an extent. I have a bad habit of hoarding every damn thing I find.  I need to start sellingnor scrapping stuff. I play either solo or with my daughter. Do I really need 5 pipe batons of each level when neither of us use them? 10 pipe rifles? Ugh.. 

Good news!  There is help out there

https://hoarders.com/support-groups-help-for-families/