Wondering if you think 7 days to die should go back to when it was more of survival game then a rpg game

DUCK321123

What I mean is that over the passed couple years with the new updates it feels like the game takes out the more survival aspect of the game and now is more leaning towards a game like fallout. Back when it was more in it's early stages of the game like alpha 15 the game was more evolved around on what your play style and you needed food to actually progress into the game like when you had to have a good wellness so your heath bar goes up and a really good video that represents this is. But I would like to see what you goes think about modern day 7days to die compared  to old 7days to die.

Gonna get hate for this but:
loads of people would like that.
But that is not their direction. And they have shown that they will make small adjustments, but their overarching path is set... until they change it of course.

What bothers me the most is that they made the switch without having a story to actually make it a roleplaying game.
Sure I can pretend to be a cowbow with a revolver. But I can also do that in my backyard with my hands. That is not a roleplaying game.
Else NFS or trainsimulator are also roleplaying games.

Buuuut what do I know. I am just the forum hater who doesn't know any better :D

I'm just glad they ARE still developing the game... and A20 looks promising with the new rwg.

They aren't making a sim. If you want simulation level survival you will need to adjust the setting through modding in order to get that. Its actually fantastic that the option exists for people to turn this game into anything they want from one end of the spectrum (sim) to the other (arcade).

4 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Gonna get hate for this but:
loads of people would like that.
But that is not their direction. And they have shown that they will make small adjustments, but their overarching path is set... until they change it of course.

What bothers me the most is that they made the switch without having a story to actually make it a roleplaying game.
Sure I can pretend to be a cowbow with a revolver. But I can also do that in my backyard with my hands. That is not a roleplaying game.

The character progression system seems to be working for most people even without a story. So where does it matter that there still is no story? There won*t ever be quests in7d2d that really allow you to roleplay, neither is there a real RPG in many action RPGs that are called that just because they have an elaborate character advancement.

Last year a developer of Baldurs Gate said "Disco Elysium" is not an RPG for him, even though it has story and hundreds of ways for you to play out your character. Shows how there is no fixed definition of the term "RPG", it is something different for everyone.

Alpha 15, which the current one was compared to by the OP, already had a character progression system, just a different one and therefore has the same claim for being called RPG, again without a story and it didn't hurt the game either

4 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Else NFS or trainsimulator are also roleplaying games.

Buuuut what do I know. I am just the forum hater who doesn't know any better :D

I'm just glad they ARE still developing the game... and A20 looks promising with the new rwg.

"Wondering if you think 7 days to die should go back to when it was more of survival game then a rpg game"

Objection!! Leading the witness your honor. 😆

It still is a survival game and for those of us who haven't put in hundreds or thousands of hours and know our way around the survival mechanisms then it can be a challenging one.

To add to this, I'm not sure you can call it an RPG at all in that most people are playing their own games by themselves or with select friends and only have the voices in their heads to keep them company. Just a regular day at the office as far as that goes. I wouldnt say that the game mechanics lead us toward a role playing game at all.

I guess what I'm saying is that I dont follow the basic premise of your post.

I'd LOVE if they gave the survival part some more love instead of simplifying it.

One of my go to things has always been the food aspect and I often wandered would there be a chance to make it ingredient based instead of fixed recipes. I think that I even mentioned this once before, but what I'd like to see, for example, is that if you have 3 pieces of meat, one potato and a shroom, you can chuck them into a pot of water and get a certain amount of nourishment and water... kinda like make your own recipe thing 🙂

spacer.png

30 minutes ago, eXSe said:

I'd LOVE if they gave the survival part some more love instead of simplifying it.

One of my go to things has always been the food aspect and I often wandered would there be a chance to make it ingredient based instead of fixed recipes. I think that I even mentioned this once before, but what I'd like to see, for example, is that if you have 3 pieces of meat, one potato and a shroom, you can chuck them into a pot of water and get a certain amount of nourishment and water... kinda like make your own recipe thing 🙂

spacer.png

In principle a great idea but it needs limits in the value of the combinations.

A lot of specific combinations of food ingredients need to have a large negative impact so that you can't just mix arbitrarily and forget. There must be combinations that are much worse than eating just the ingredients (or more basic combinations of the ingredients).

2 hours ago, eXSe said:

what I'd like to see, for example, is that if you have 3 pieces of meat, one potato and a shroom, you can chuck them into a pot of water and get a certain amount of nourishment and water... kinda like make your own recipe thing

ARK does this pretty well. IIRC you have to experiment (or hit the Wiki) to figure out what each edible does, but then you're pretty free to combine them and even give the recipes (which you save on bits of paper) custom names for easy reuse.

5 hours ago, eXSe said:

'd like to see, for example, is that if you have 3 pieces of meat, one potato and a shroom, you can chuck them into a pot of water and get a certain amount of nourishment and water... kinda like make your own recipe thing 

that would he pretty cool. It would lean a bit more towards how scum does it now  Although Scums nutrition system is way out of hand regarding realism. Stopping to pee or poop mid run from zeds is quite frustrating.

I wish that finding food was more challenging and more of a focal point of the game. In every post apocalyptic movie like Mad Max or The Road, scavenging is mostly about finding food or fuel, not about amassing huge piles of junk. I don't like the way you start stockpiling food relatively early and after an hour of play "food" is an annoying maintenance mechanic instead of something you really have to think about and plan around.

Instead of just "hunger" I'd like the hunger bar to represent your intake of calories for the day. Hunger would deplete slower, starvation would take days to kill you, but food would be MUCH harder to find. So a small can of tuna or peas will keep you alive, dog/cat food is OK in an emergency, but an MRE or a can of beef is the most precious and valuable thing in the entire world. Farming would be extremely slow, very specialized, prone to failure, and require a lot of resources. This would force the player to actually scavenge and properly plan their movement in the world to prioritize food, and scavenge further sooner.

A mod for this would be great if anyone knows one.

24 minutes ago, geengaween said:

I wish that finding food was more challenging and more of a focal point of the game. In every post apocalyptic movie like Mad Max or The Road, scavenging is mostly about finding food or fuel, not about amassing huge piles of junk. I don't like the way you start stockpiling food relatively early and after an hour of play "food" is an annoying maintenance mechanic instead of something you really have to think about and plan around.

Instead of just "hunger" I'd like the hunger bar to represent your intake of calories for the day. Hunger would deplete slower, starvation would take days to kill you, but food would be MUCH harder to find. So a small can of tuna or peas will keep you alive, dog/cat food is OK in an emergency, but an MRE or a can of beef is the most precious and valuable thing in the entire world. Farming would be extremely slow, very specialized, prone to failure, and require a lot of resources. This would force the player to actually scavenge and properly plan their movement in the world to prioritize food, and scavenge further sooner.

A mod for this would be great if anyone knows one.

I thought that one of balancing changes that TFP is implementing in A20 is to reduce the frequency of finding canned and other foods in containers and loot bags?

Some content creators that are playing/have played in co-op for the streamer weekend have been experiencing difficulty in finding canned food. Even dividing their responsibilities, I have seen them need to spend more time hunting for critters that seem to be far more scarce than in A19, and foraging for corn, potatoes, etc. around POIs that might have inconvenient sleepers and even hidden IEDs.

On the other hand, a few streamers that went solo had little to no problem with food and water acquisition.