What do you want the Bandits to be like?

geengaween

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I kind of hope that bandits would attack our bases.  It is one thing to build a base to defend against the Zs, it is another thing to build a base to defend against the Zs and bandits (depending on the AI).  The more I get out of my comfort zone in the game, the better....and right now, I am very comfortable with base building against Zs.

honestly i hate this idea for 1 reason - there is a risk  about they attack when you will be far from your base. so co-op will be obligatory - 1 person cutting trees, mining farmin make walls and defense house and 2 is doing quest looting etc. so most poi will be "unable " to get there ( too  far) and 1 person will have just boring gameplay

27 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I kind of hope that bandits would attack our bases.  It is one thing to build a base to defend against the Zs, it is another thing to build a base to defend against the Zs and bandits (depending on the AI).  The more I get out of my comfort zone in the game, the better....and right now, I am very comfortable with base building against Zs.

I agree I think thier main purpose will be some kind of base attack maybe with little notice or mostly random.

They will or should shoot at you and hopefully they will throw dynamite to break walls and stuff when fame stage is high. Plus maybe a Bandit POI or encounters when out exploring like you mentioned.

I imagine they will act like slightly smarter zombies 

I do not expect them to have super smart attack plans or hide behind cover when shooting.

19 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

honestly i hate this idea for 1 reason - there is a risk  about they attack when you will be far from your base. so co-op will be obligatory - 1 person cutting trees, mining farmin make walls and defense house and 2 is doing quest looting etc. so most poi will be "unable " to get there ( too  far) and 1 person will have just boring gameplay

Just give it some sort of timer like a pop up appears on screen from Duke “I am sending my boys to level your place in 5 (or whatever amount of time makes sense) minutes scum”

I guess the programming question which I don’t know is how do they know which base to attack when you are not there?

Maybe a heat map thing?

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

NOOOO! I don't care for the loot.

I want to see how the bandits move out of their base, walk in the city, kill zombies and walk back to their camp.
This is so simple:
waypoint A is their base.
check in radius of like 400 blocks for simple pois (preferrably in the city)
make them walk there like zombie pathfinding
spawn in some zombies at waypoint B&C
let them go inside POI, spawn some more zombies , let them fight
move out and go back to base.
Also I want REAL fights. where some bandits might die not simulated like in a cutscene. That shouldnt be hard, just declare both parties enemies and boom.

I don't care if stuff is looted afterwards, that was just an addon for realism.
I don't want it to happen offscreen. Everything happens offscreen in 7D2D. As you said it is a player-centric game. But not in a good way.
Nothing happens if the player is not there. And that is what I find the sadest thing. It doesn't feel like the world is alive.

With as much as performance suffers from us being on the map not to mention in MP worlds you now somehow think the game can hold up to this? Good luck with that lol.

I expect TFP to surprise us when they work on the Bandits.  I have built working bandits and other NPC characters since A16, and the the Creaturepack NPC mod has many of the advanced features mentioned in this thread.  It would be trivial for TFP to expand on the basics we already have enabled.  In A20, Sphereii and I have abandoned using the zombie AI and replaced it with an extended version of the built-in, but unused, Utility AI system.  In a20, NPCs will, in addition to following, patrolling, obeying factions, etc, will also have new advanced AI abilities, like healing, looting, crafting etc, all fully customizable.  Basically each NPC will be given AI packages, with each package having xml configurable actions.  So if you load the healing package, the NPC can heal itself and others based on if it has the bandages, likes you or not, and if it should heal now or rather defend or attack instead at that moment.  Its a full decision tree system for A20.  We went this direction under the assumption/hope TFP will go this direction as well.  Having bandits and NPCs make real-time decisions based on the actual situation they are in makes for fun gameplay.  

29 minutes ago, xyth said:

I expect TFP to surprise us when they work on the Bandits.  I have built working bandits and other NPC characters since A16, and the the Creaturepack NPC mod has many of the advanced features mentioned in this thread.  It would be trivial for TFP to expand on the basics we already have enabled.  In A20, Sphereii and I have abandoned using the zombie AI and replaced it with an extended version of the built-in, but unused, Utility AI system.  In a20, NPCs will, in addition to following, patrolling, obeying factions, etc, will also have new advanced AI abilities, like healing, looting, crafting etc, all fully customizable.  Basically each NPC will be given AI packages, with each package having xml configurable actions.  So if you load the healing package, the NPC can heal itself and others based on if it has the bandages, likes you or not, and if it should heal now or rather defend or attack instead at that moment.  Its a full decision tree system for A20.  We went this direction under the assumption/hope TFP will go this direction as well.  Having bandits and NPCs make real-time decisions based on the actual situation they are in makes for fun gameplay.  

Could you post a link to your mod please? :) 

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I agree I think thier main purpose will be some kind of base attack maybe with little notice or mostly random.

They will or should shoot at you and hopefully they will throw dynamite to break walls and stuff when fame stage is high. Plus maybe a Bandit POI or encounters when out exploring like you mentioned.

I imagine they will act like slightly smarter zombies 

I do not expect them to have super smart attack plans or hide behind cover when shooting.

Just give it some sort of timer like a pop up appears on screen from Duke “I am sending my boys to level your place in 5 (or whatever amount of time makes sense) minutes scum”

I guess the programming question which I don’t know is how do they know which base to attack when you are not there?

Maybe a heat map thing?

easy : bedroll with 25 block zone = your base. well 5 minutes is not a long time. if you are for example 2 km away 5 minutes will not long enough

4 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Well yes obviously. But the point is, they already HAVE that A.I. with the zombies.
They already have Waypoint A (zombies current position) and Waypoint B (the player).
So they already have the most complex thing out of the way

further illustrates you don't understand how AI programming works. Point A and B are the two simplest aspects of the AI programming, not the hardest.

to be clear, I am not making any claims about your intellect, just your lack of understanding on this topic.

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

4 hours ago, xyth said:

You guys are amazing as much as for what you do as for your willingness to update and retool everything every new Alpha cycle.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

Quite frankly, I'd be happy with neutral traders like in MineCraft. The traders will have items you can only get through trading, and even Traitor Joel won't have, and they wonder around slightly. I'd just put a trader in some of the houses and pretend I'm mayor of the town, as if I were playing MineCraft.

The all-female stripper bandits sounds like a good idea though. Put them on an island. It'll be the all-female Lord of the Flies movie we never got.

• 4 months later...

The new A20 NPCCore mod is out, which includes hirable companions, bandits and more.  We could use the feedback on the new custom AI, and command control interface, as well as feature requests for future development.