KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

A little experimenting with heightmaps earlier today. I appreciate the texture isn't right for a Jetty but the shape worked pretty good. Early days! 

https://imgur.com/a/jldleeCFP30APF.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/4e18plA_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

EDIT: Sorry, can't get it to show a preview. Think it's because I'm on my phone. 

Edited by Tallman Brad (see edit history)

Hey King - any chance of getting additional control over the placement of spawn points? I would love to be able to, for example, rule out spawn points near cities or prefer spawn points near villages to set a sense of progression in the early game.

. . . . or a single spawn point in a specific spot. I too, am interested in the Canyon-style of map (mentioned in DJQuad's and other earlier posts) and so built one that "sort-of" worked, but the SP/SP's are anywhere in the map. I'd like to put one down in the canyon, and at the beginning, with resources and building numbers increasing as the canyon progresses.  On the third day now, and, for the first time in any map - I had to dig a cave into the cliff wall for overnight security! 

1 hour ago, Tallman Brad said:

You can find the coordinates of the point you want, then edit the spawn xml to include only the coords that you enter. 

Ahhh, good to know, thanks.  For some reason I'm finding that I spawn in the same place every time instead of randomly so I'll edit that and fix it that way.  By the way thanks for your vid on the tool, it was super helpful.

Hmm, I edited the file but the game seems to be completely ignoring my changes and still spawning me in the same place.  Any ideas why that would be?

Edit: The spawn point it's loading me at is still one of the original ones created by KingGen. 

Another Edit: I renamed the folder and then started a new game. The old world version was still there (in spite of no longer existing) but when I scrolled through the list of worlds, the renamed folder version was there at the end - and starting a game from that one updated the spawn point correctly.

Seems like it was some kind of caching issue perhaps?

Edited by Curuedhel (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Curuedhel said:

Hmm, I edited the file but the game seems to be completely ignoring my changes and still spawning me in the same place.  Any ideas why that would be?

Edit: The spawn point it's loading me at is still one of the original ones created by KingGen. 

Another Edit: I renamed the folder and then started a new game. The old world version was still there (in spite of no longer existing) but when I scrolled through the list of worlds, the renamed folder version was there at the end - and starting a game from that one updated the spawn point correctly.

Seems like it was some kind of caching issue perhaps?

You are editing the wrong version most likely. Depending on where you have your maps running from, it should either be from the Worlds folder in your install, or from the Generated Worlds folder in %appdata%.

any idea why the cities are all raised or lowered creating  those odd earth walls?  I even tried a flat map and the cities are raised or lowered no matter what I try.  I tried removing the city height info but it still janky.   Is there any way to just force the cities to follow the earth contour?

1 minute ago, Roy02 said:

any idea why the cities are all raised or lowered creating  those odd earth walls?  I even tried a flat map and the cities are raised or lowered no matter what I try.  I tried removing the city height info but it still janky.   Is there any way to just force the cities to follow the earth contour?

cities should generate at the average elevation of the terrain below. Can you post a screeshot so I can see if it is a bug?

9 hours ago, Roy02 said:

A19.5_2021-07-16_10-57-07.jpg

Looks to me like it spawned ground level as seen in the background. But didn't take into account the crater and raised it to meet the maps needs. So it is ground level. 

9 hours ago, Roy02 said:

A19.5_2021-07-16_10-55-19.jpgA19.5_2021-07-16_10-53-19.jpgA19.5_2021-07-16_10-49-45.jpg

So most maps I make with Talmans helpfull video turn out like this since 11.11  version,  Oh bring back road to isolated POI's would be nice(just a hope)

This bottom pic is just where  kinggen made the city and removed the part of the mountain that it went into to spawn the whole city. 

On 7/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

Yes, that is a knows issue. I cannot reproduce it on my linux machine. So I don't know how to fix it just yet

Im also having that issue (GUI wont launch but CLI works (Xubuntu 20.04)). Someone said the 0.10 version still works; is there any chance that could be posted?

On 3/31/2021 at 10:48 PM, KingSlayerGM said:

For any other custom POIs that you might want yo use, you must provide KingGen with a list of comma separated values formatted as follows: each POI must be listed on a new line and be written as <name>,<x size>,<y size>,<z size>,<y offset>,<rotation to face north>,<allowed biomes>,<allowed townships>,<zones>. Any POI that does not follow this format will be ignored. Here is an example taken from the vanilla list:

abandoned_house_01,24,18,26,-1,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland,rural/city/town/wilderness,residentialold
abandoned_house_02,24,17,25,-1,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland,rural/city/town/wilderness,residentialold
abandoned_house_03,21,16,28,-1,2,burnt_forest/snow/pine_forest/desert/wasteland,rural/city/town/wilderness,residentialold

The allowed values for biomes are: pine_forest, burnt_forest, desert, snow and wasteland.

The allowed values for townships are: city, town, rural and wilderness.

The allowed values for zones are: residentialold, residentialnew, downtown, commercial, industrial and any.
Any other values will be ignored. Please note that any POI with "waste" in their name will be automatically considered a wasteland-only POI. This is to accomodate vanilla's POIs that do not come with a AllowedBiomes property.

I wonder if there is a value in this, which sets the probability of how often a POI will be generated?

The problem I should fix is that I'm using War of the Walkers, and it has copies of the vanilla traders, plus one called "Class trader".

I've kinggenerated a map where the traders should spawn in the remote, wilderness areas, but Walkers shops are spammed in every city.

When I've removed them from  the generated custom poi list, not one spawned.

So I either need to make them much rarer, or somehow set them in the same category as vanilla traders so Kinggen handle them together vith the vanilla traders.

If it could be avoided, I rather not watch a full video where I might or might not find the info I seek, so a text-based documentation would be preferred.

When you (or you or you) answer me, I'll hand out the praises. :)

Bow before he who wields the Slayer of Kings and generates the random maps.
Hi @KingSlayerGM

Loving this thing. Didn't realise there had been so may major releases since I was last using it. You work fast.

Got a small feature request (if it's simple).

When Generating multiple maps at once, would it be possible to also generate a folder which just contains a copy of the previews from each map, (with each preview named after its map).

Why?

Random map generation is inevitably a bit hit and miss, how do the biomes layout, are there any biomes with no towns, are the traders clustered, etc.

I tend to generate a bunch and then review them and pick one. It's easier to do if I copy the previews into a folder so I can quickly flip between them. However copying each from their folder, and renaming them as I go takes a while.

I could use a little help from an expert please!  I've been chasing my tail for days, now, trying to create a "canyon" map - one where we start in a small open area, say a 200 x 200 px square in the GIMP heightmap.png: the map's base city level is set at 60 in GIMP. This starting area has 100 hardness vertical cliff walls all around, going up to the 100 px level, and this is the level of the highest point across the map - no mountains - just a dead flat 4096 x 4096 with five identical square 'boxes' each with a stock 60 px ground floor, and linked together by a single narrow "slot" in the 60 to 100 px cliffs - the slot is about 11 or 12 px wide - enough to easily walk along. At the end of this chain there are two larger squares - one, a 1500px 'box' and the second at 2500 px. The 12px wide canyon runs down through the five small squares, into the 1500, then into the largest square in an "L"-shaped path. The city.png is configured so that each small square has a village in it: the medium has a town, and the large has a (medium) city. The city png 'square' sizes are smaller than the hm squares, so that the buildings don't touch the surrounding cliff walls (some still did) . All of this loads in KingGen quite properly, and the maps complete as we expect. . . . . BUT. . .  the road creation pays no attention whatsoever to the vertical cliffs.: it just drives a 70 or 80 degree road right up and out on top of the 100 px snowy landscape. It simply will not follow the 11 px canyons. Even 12, 15 or larger.  I can find nothing that's current on how to create a splat3 png file and am just too dumb and frustrated to figure out how to paint a red channel, or a green channel. (sigh)  I'm almost ready to go back to Far Cry . . .   Brad? Stallion? KS?  anybody?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AueVg7eVAeXMkxzZVj-BUo-HXve6