KingGen - A Random World Generator for 7 Days to Die

KingSlayerGM

On 7/31/2021 at 3:20 AM, Cpt Krunch said:

Learn to use the masking tools, they are a LOT more advanced and precise than the ones included with Nitrogen. Create maps first without any prefabs, plan and prep them, then use the masking functionality to populate them, that will avoid problems like the one above in all cases except for maybe wilderness, though i find cliff like this still pretty rare.

Masking tools are about to get even more advanced with KG 12 :)

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

On 7/31/2021 at 2:20 AM, Cpt Krunch said:

Learn to use the masking tools, they are a LOT more advanced and precise than the ones included with Nitrogen. Create maps first without any prefabs, plan and prep them, then use the masking functionality to populate them, that will avoid problems like the one above in all cases except for maybe wilderness, though i find cliff like this still pretty rare.

2021-07-13_05h29_01.thumb.png.7beafdfde46be38b0791d2027a585adc.png

This looks so good btw, it reminds me of the Ark Survival Evolved map The Center. Are there any good resources where I can learn to make stuff like this?

On 7/29/2021 at 10:57 PM, DJQuad said:

Yeah the water height was what I was referring to. It's typically fine as the default as far as generating rivers, lakes, etc. But for canyons, being able to draw areas where water should not be generated would be ideal.

From your video, the current colors that can be draw are:

city = 0,0,255
town = 0,255,0
village = 255,0,255
no pois = 255,0,0

An additional color for "no water generated here" I suppose would be a feature request if it's even possible to do that with map generation.

Is this possible @KingSlayerGM

5 minutes ago, IzPrebuilt said:

This looks so good btw, it reminds me of the Ark Survival Evolved map The Center. Are there any good resources where I can learn to make stuff like this?

Tallman Brad's videos on YouTube :)

Edited by DJQuad (see edit history)

5 hours ago, IzPrebuilt said:

Thanks, this is my adaptation of a KG stock map by a guy named Ashraio. Feel free to stop by my Discord, there are a handful of us who discuss projects and trade techniques for different stuff.

https://discord.gg/tsmneMRk53

Ive also got a handful of videos Ive done on some different techniques. The videos were made for use with Nitro, but everything shown in the vids can be adapted for use with KG tools. I will definitely be doing some new videos for use with KG at some point during A20.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJovg616UQg1Q4VtXn-nDHw

5 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Currently no. I don't understand why that would be useful

Don't know about @DJQuad's use case, but dry lakebeds in otherwise water-strewn maps is one. If I have it right (pretty much a n00b) there are two options for putting water into your map:

1) Set the water level and every location beneath that level has water

2) Create a custom water map and put your water exactly where you want it, at the level you want it

It could be useful to have a third option:

3) Create a custom no-water map and otherwise use the default water level value to fill in low areas.

If you want most of your map to behave "normally" with regard to water level, but want this one specific place to remain dry even though it's a low point on the map, option 3 would be much easier than hand-drawing all the water using option 2. You could just crudely mask off the dry lakebed/canyon (don't even have to be particularly careful about getting the borders right) and let the default water generator do its thing except in the masked area.

3 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Don't know about @DJQuad's use case, but dry lakebeds in otherwise water-strewn maps is one. If I have it right (pretty much a n00b) there are two options for putting water into your map:

1) Set the water level and every location beneath that level has water

2) Create a custom water map and put your water exactly where you want it, at the level you want it

It could be useful to have a third option:

3) Create a custom no-water map and otherwise use the default water level value to fill in low areas.

If you want most of your map to behave "normally" with regard to water level, but want this one specific place to remain dry even though it's a low point on the map, option 3 would be much easier than hand-drawing all the water using option 2. You could just crudely mask off the dry lakebed/canyon (don't even have to be particularly careful about getting the borders right) and let the default water generator do its thing except in the masked area.

You can already achieve what you are asking throught the water map. Black is "no water"

9 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

You can already achieve what you are asking throught the water map. Black is "no water"

Right, except to adjust the water level (in the "yes water" area) requires adjusting the map instead of just using the KG control. So if I have a map with many lakebeds and rivers and streams and I just want one area masked off as "no water" and then I want to use the KG water level control to fill in the rest (which allows me to easily adjust it and regen the map as many times as I want), I can't do that now. I have to create the water map with its black area and test it. Nudge the RGB up or down a bit in the non-black areas, resave the map, try again. Might be nice to just click on the KG control with just a simple no-water-only mask in effect.

It'd be a quality-of-life improvement is all; the desired result is definitely doable with the existing custom water map.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

Version 0.12.0 released!

Old POIs lists are no longer compatible with this version. Read the guide for more information.

Here is what's new:

• Fixed bug with combobox highlight
  • Fixed repetion of pois in the same hub
  • Added option to check before writing over existing worlds
  • Added snow to maps that have no mountains
  • Improved visibility of community heightmaps
  • Improved terrain roughness option (now terrain can be truly flat or more rouugh than before)
  • Added "POIs mode" for debugging prefabs (all pois are placed in a flat world)
  • Added option to view and save the default vanilla POIs list
  • Added old west settlements
  • Added tag "required" to the POIs list (a  required POI is guaranteed to be placed in the world)
  • Added tag "unique" to the POIs list (a  uniquePOI cannot be placed more than once in the whole world)
  • Added feedback when there is a problem in the POIs list
  • Added custom POIs zones support (zones are districts of a hub)
  • Added custom hubs support (hubs are clusters of buildings like cities, towns or villages)

24 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Right, except to adjust the water level (in the "yes water" area) requires adjusting the map instead of just using the KG control. So if I have a map with many lakebeds and rivers and streams and I just want one area masked off as "no water" and then I want to use the KG water level control to fill in the rest (which allows me to easily adjust it and regen the map as many times as I want), I can't do that now. I have to create the water map with its black area and test it. Nudge the RGB up or down a bit in the non-black areas, resave the map, try again. Might be nice to just click on the KG control with just a simple no-water-only mask in effect.

It'd be a quality-of-life improvement is all; the desired result is definitely doable with the existing custom water map.

I don't like this solution because it requires 2 files just to control water. It is redundant to me and other users might find it confusing.

Edited by KingSlayerGM (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Here is an example of custom hubs and zones using the newest CompoPack list. You can see new colors in the top right corner and you can see them used in some villages in the generated map.
IEne3zV.png

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for this great job, you are the best KingSlayerGM.

6 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Can I see screenshots of the preview and the settings page?

Sure, give me a sec, I'll upload a full dump to google, the actual complete map previously generated and what's happening now.

6 minutes ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Can I see screenshots of the preview and the settings page?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cEhKnQj4xmacOjCun1Lr5nG-EvkmFyqC?usp=sharing

Map C was generated on a previous version, D and D1 I just updated Kingen and generated a few mins ago.

I've tried

6 minutes ago, Dark_Shadow_231 said:

Sure, give me a sec, I'll upload a full dump to google, the actual complete map previously generated and what's happening now.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cEhKnQj4xmacOjCun1Lr5nG-EvkmFyqC?usp=sharing

Map C was generated on a previous version, D and D1 I just updated Kingen and generated a few mins ago.

I've tried changing a couple of things like the cities grid but to no avail.

Edited by Dark_Shadow_231 (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, Dark_Shadow_231 said:

I've tried

I've tried changing a couple of things like the cities grid but to no avail.

Send me just 1 image with the preview and  the settings used